The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
airborne_cane

Brooks Orpik

While I wouldn't mind him here, it's not going to happen due to the whole Cole thing, and it'd just make us look like a terrible organization, which would deter future free agents from signing with us.

So I hope the Avs sign him instead.

No thanks. Not that good, very overvalued because of how far the Penguins went in the playoffs.

Agree completely. I was pulling for the Pens but I swear, I would cringe every time that they said his name. I keep seeing that cheap shot on Cole, as I was brought up hearing the term ... "forget hell" and that is the way that I feel about Orpik.

it would be just awful and wrong to get rid of erik cole and bring in orpik... cole would be a cane killer for the rest of his career..

IF we do trade Cole, I hope that JR plans to trade him to a Western team, he is too popular here to have him coming back 2 or 4 + times a year (don't forget the playoffs). Personally, I would rather see him sign a contract extension so the "will be a UFA at the end of next season" variable will be taken out to this decision. Cole has the kind of heart that this team needs. I would really hate to see him go.

First off, I still don't won't to see Cole gone, but if it comes to that I'll still be a fan of his and of the Carolina Hurricanes. If we did get Orpik which I don't think would ever happen I'd hate to see what the locker room chemistry would be like. I know we're talking about professional men here but look how quick they come to each other's defense while on the ice. those that were on the team when Cole was hit wouldn't adjust so easily I wouldn't think.

The other problem with Orpik coming to this team.....We might forget he's in a Canes Jersey and Boo him when he touches the puck. :P

IF we do trade Cole, I hope that JR plans to trade him to a Western team, he is too popular here to have him coming back 2 or 4 + times a year (don't forget the playoffs). Personally, I would rather see him sign a contract extension so the "will be a UFA at the end of next season" variable will be taken out to this decision. Cole has the kind of heart that this team needs. I would really hate to see him go.

Unless Cole's heart can keep him from being on IR for 1/4 of every season and playing injured 95% of the time he's actually on the ice, its time to move on

Agreed with statements saying if we were willing to spend 4mil on Orpik, why not Gleason or some other FA.... I hope Gleason does develop into a top pairing defenseman, but having another one wouldn't be bad. Let's hope JR get's it done.

No. I never want to see Orpik in a Canes uniform, never. I don't care how physical he is, he's a goon. You can be physical without taking stupid roughing penalties every few games. JR will get someone just as good, if not better, and in true Canes tradition, he will go for a class act.

That was a sweet four hit combo he put on the Wings in his own end when Gonchar went down. I also love a ll the goon comments.... Isn't that why we fell in love with Brookbank? Great comments from everyone....It's tough with a franchise that has grown up before our eyes. We develop a bond with the players, especially after great success, and look at them as if they were extended family (not a bad thing ). Lets use a little imagination. The Great One #99 is in his prime in 2006 and throws an illegal knee into Staal ending his season. In 2007 we have the opportunity to sign the Great One. Do we say no because he hurt one of our favorite players? I know we don't have a choice in the signing part, but do we as fans not cheer for him, or do we let the players settle problems on the ice and cheer our butt's off for our team. Once again, I'm glad I'm not the GM. Go Canes

Yeah, but I guarantee you that if Brookbank ever put a hit on someone where he boarded them, and serverly injured them, he would've have sent a half***ed apology through someone else an entire month later. Guy has 0 class and is very overrated.

"all" is quite the loaded comment, Brookbank sucks.... did he win a single fight or get his butt kicked all the time? I am not sold he protected anyone or scared anyone... he had quite the knack to fight when we had momentum and get his butt kicked and give the other team an adrenaline jolt from beating him up.

Walker was a more effective enforcer in that regard...... 5 foot whatever and beats the *edit* outta anyone who crosses him wrong. The only problem with that is we need someone in Brookbanks body who can drop the gloves and not look like Woody Allen trying to fight Kimbo Slice.

Maybe iceboy and JR should talk to Kimbo to be our 4th line checker. :)

Besides... there are other defensemen out there. Orpik is just being highlighted because of his physical play in the playoffs. Which isn't a bad thing, because that can change alot of views about players. Like I said before, the season and playoffs are 2 different things. And knowing when a player can bring it or not during those playoffs is a very good thing. It would be nice if we could find someone who can bring it all season long, especially on the ice when it needs to be brung.

I will pass on Orpik.

But as far as an "Orpik clone" that would be cheaper, Jim Vandermeer. Played for Calgary this year and made 1.225 million. Had 8 fights this year, with some notable names - Parros, Laperriere, Stortini, Cowan - He totaled up 17 points this season, compared to Orpik's 11 - Plus minus was a +6. He is the same age as Orpik also. Vandermeer could be an option if JR wants to go with a player that is "Orpik like."

Laraque is a UFA. Even tho he's the league's premier enforcer, he can provide a quality 8-10 minutes per game and would

provide the kind of size that JR is looking at add on the 4th line. There are cheaper alternatives, but not a better deterrent.

Put Kimbo Slice on skates. Hows that for deterrent? ;)

Yes that's it....Adding a goon to the roster is going to make all thing right with the hockey gods. Goonery is not the answer, the canes need to improve their defense and of course work on either getting a player that can put the puck in the net or revamping the system. When the Canes won the cup, the rest of the league was still getting used to the way the game had been changed...But now it seems that other teams have developed systems that work consistently whereas the Canes have seemed to run ashore...Time to change and getting a goon is not going to improve things

Goon or no goon, the Canes need someone to throw down the gloves and stand up for our players. Do you think Orr would have performed that same stunt if we would of had someone to smash his face in? I highly doubt it, and we would of had Cullen to man the 3rd line center and special teams.

Personally I'd like JR to sign a 4th line PK'er who can throw down against Rags, Flyers, etc... and do special teams.

Too much to ask??

I don't think we necessarily need an enforcer. Just a couple more guys like Scott Walker who are tough as nails and can fight when necessary but don't look for fights for no good reason. Of course, at least one of those guys needs to be big and skilled at fighting. Is that asking too much to have a guy who is big, can fight, and play smart hockey? I guess so... because there's only a handful of guys out there like that. But that's what we need IMO.

Even if you ignore the Cole incident, Orpik is just too much of an instigator to fit into the style of hockey Laviolette wants to play. Even though the addition of toughness in players like Brookbank and Conboy made this team better, Laviolette still didn't hesitate to rush Whitney and Williams back into the line-up as soon as they said they were ready to play.

Even if you ignore the Cole incident, Orpik is just too much of an instigator to fit into the style of hockey Laviolette wants to play. Even though the addition of toughness in players like Brookbank and Conboy made this team better, Laviolette still didn't hesitate to rush Whitney and Williams back into the line-up as soon as they said they were ready to play.

Which was a mistakeI felt. You have a hot team, keep them together. Don't mess with anything. Especially since they were coming back from injuries, ya know?? Why rush it and mess it up even more. But with the physical presence, things were working better for us.

I enjoy the faster style Lavi wants, but you have to have some muscle some where.

I don't think we necessarily need an enforcer. Just a couple more guys like Scott Walker who are tough as nails and can fight when necessary but don't look for fights for no good reason. Of course, at least one of those guys needs to be big and skilled at fighting. Is that asking too much to have a guy who is big, can fight, and play smart hockey? I guess so... because there's only a handful of guys out there like that. But that's what we need IMO.

The reason why you have someone, like Wade Brookbank, is because although Walker, Gleason, etc can fight they are too valuable to have them sitting in the box for 5+ minutes at a time. They said that when they brought Brookbank up.

I think it's what JR meant when he said he wanted to have our 4th line be bigger and thats why Aucoin and Bayda aren't getting re-signed. They play a few minutes a night as energy players and can throw the gloves down when needed and then you don't have a top 9 guy in the box.

Which was a mistakeI felt. You have a hot team, keep them together. Don't mess with anything. Especially since they were coming back from injuries, ya know?? Why rush it and mess it up even more. But with the physical presence, things were working better for us.

I enjoy the faster style Lavi wants, but you have to have some muscle some where.

And as I have said before it was a no win situation for Lavi... Keep the "hot" team together and get your butts handed to you and everyone would say ( me included) Why the heck didnt he put his 80 pt guys in there.... Change the AHL guys out for your veteran forwards back from their injuries and and get nothing and everyone (me included) says Why did he mess with the hot team?????? Physical we need... last year and this year.... Welcome back Anton :o