The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
airborne_cane

Brooks Orpik

Welcome back Anton?? For Physical play??

Talent Analysis:

At 6"6 Anton Babchuk has an imposing frame. He has started to fill in that huge frame, increasing his weight to 202 pounds. Anton has already developed a nasty physical edge to his game that will only get stronger as he grows. Defensively Anton is a very good, hard hitter, able to deliver hits along the boards or out in open ice. Besides delivering the hits, Anton also effectively uses his large frame to block shots. He plays a strong positional game, able to keep the opponents in front of him. For a guy his stature, he is a solid skater with good speed and above average lateral movement, but still has room to improve in the skating department. According to a Czech hockey observer, Robert Neuhauser, Anton is a "smart player and is willing to join the rush

Sounds good enough to me.

The only reason Brookbank was brought up was because Gillies was hurt. Which was too bad because Brookbank is an ok fighter he will throw but looks tenative when he does. Gillies on the other hand has a few screws loose, he would be one of the top 5 tough guys in the league if he was in the show. You need a tough guy, Brookbank is not your enforcer. Without an enforcer say good bye to another 300 games lost to injury.

Because an enforcer somehow decreases injuries? Man, if only we had an enforcer from the beginning of the year, then Brindamour and Williams never would have been hurt. An enforcer does nothing to prevent injuries and to claim otherwise is being delusional.

Did Babchuk play physical when he was here for a short time? Seriously asking, because I couldn't watch Canes games for quite a while then, and from what I gathered here before, always thought of him more so offensive minded.

Because an enforcer somehow decreases injuries? Man, if only we had an enforcer from the beginning of the year, then Brindamour and Williams never would have been hurt. An enforcer does nothing to prevent injuries and to claim otherwise is being delusional.

True, but I think he means Colton's hit on Cullen, etc etc...

Speaking of Brindy and Williams, I remember reading before that someone thought that maybe they needed a new conditioning coach. I know Friesen is one of the best at it, but what about it? New coach, different exercises, whatever could help...

Even Colton's hit wouldn't have been prevented because of an enforcer. The guy would have had more of a force to answer to (Commodore tried, to his credit), but the hit still would have happened. Pittsburgh has one of the best enforcers in the league, but that didn't stop ANYONE from laying cheapshots on Malkin/Crosby.

As for Babchuk, he was either reluctant to play physical or was too eager to play the body and put himself out of position. My memory's fuzzy, but it was 1 or the other.

As for Babchuk, he was either reluctant to play physical or was too eager to play the body and put himself out of position. My memory's fuzzy, but it was 1 or the other.

I was reading the same russian report page you were, and I think we should take a chance on Babchuk. It seems he has gotten a lot better at shot blocking and playing the body, and we considered him an offensive minded player before. It sounds like he's rounded out his game and is filling out his huge, 6'5'', frame. I really want to see JR bring him back.

I have no space on my roster for someone who hits after every whistle, and brings the elbows up for no reason. The game can be played physically within the framework of the rules. The love-affair with Orpik by NBC during the Finals made me sick. IMHO, the Pens came off as a bunch of late-hitting punks (like all of the teams in the Atlantic Division do) and Orpik was the leader of the pack.

There is something to be said for playing the game with class. There is a lot of confusion out here about enforcers, what their role is, and how all of this relates. An enforcer does not necessarily equal a cheap-shot artist. An enforcer deals with a cheap shot artist.

Signing Orpik to a $4 million dollar deal would be like JR signing Kaberle to his $2.2 million dollar deal after winning the cup. He will get more money because of the playoffs then, he won't live up to the deal. At those prices, what they bring to the table just isn't worth the cost.

Alot of people seem to forget that Babchuk led the team in blocked shots at the time of his demotion to the AHL. That was an aspect that the defense sorely lacked late two years ago and throughout the course of this past season. Blocked shots are really the only difference between our current defense and the defense that won the Stanley Cup. I don't think the talent level is any different, just player's willingness to do the dirty work.

If we get rid of Cole and sign that POS Orpik I might not ever set foot in the RBC center again.

Orpik's hit on Cole was only a borderline hit. That is why his suspension was short.

No, it was short because Cole isn't a star player.

Most people know how much I like Erik Cole, and how much I hate Orpik, but looking at what we need, he may be one of our missing pieces. He's also not too old at 27. But I am guessing he will ask for more than he is worth.

Also, Locker Room Drama? None needed, thanks anyways.

Alot of people seem to forget that Babchuk led the team in blocked shots at the time of his demotion to the AHL. That was an aspect that the defense sorely lacked late two years ago and throughout the course of this past season. Blocked shots are really the only difference between our current defense and the defense that won the Stanley Cup. I don't think the talent level is any different, just player's willingness to do the dirty work.

I really hope that JR takes a chance with Babchuk, I think he can really help our team. I was reading some things on him from his time in Russia, and they have said he has really improved his hitting and shot blocking, and the number of points he put up was pretty good. I would like to have him back.

If we get rid of Cole and sign that POS Orpik I might not ever set foot in the RBC center again.

Really?

I don't care if the 'Canes do that or not, I love hockey and I love the canes and my passion for the sport will keep me coming to the games no matter what the team does. Just because they trade my favorite player and sign someone I hate, I still love the team and the sport. It would take a whole lot more than that to keep me from coming.

at the time Cole returned to the ice after his injury, Orpik had not even tried to call Cole to see how he was or anything. don't know if he ever did. I think adding him to the team would cause a tremendous amount of discord in the locker room. I think Cole is pretty well liked on the team, right?