The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Sutter16

Canes sign Michael Leighton

I definitely do like this agreement and cannot wait to see him in action with us. I think he and Cam will do just fine together as a team and also individually.

I'll agree with that...

However, not to rain on everyones parade, forgive me if I am a bit skiddish about two kids between the pipes.

I'd hesitate to call a 27 year old a "kid". He may not have a lot of NHL experience, but he IS an experienced goaltender. Sometimes the most valuable aspect of a signing like this isn't the actual ability of the player, but his effect on the development of the other players. He may well serve as a stabilizing influence on Cam, and any Rats that get promoted...

The cap space is the most important part of this deal and it should help Ward look better, as long as the cap space goes towards the defense.

I'd have to agree with that. The truth is, with a mediocre defense through the middle of the season last year, and an offense that spent as much time going to Dr. visits as it did practicing, I'd say with a healthy team, the goaltending really isn't a big issue. With more cap room, we have the opportunity to improve other areas of our game. Improved Defense will take some of the weight off of Wardo & Leights, and improved or sustained offense throughout the season will make up for the errors that the defense and goaltenders make.

We signed what looks like a late bloomer of a goaltender, and one that's blooming into a great goaltender, for only 600k for each year. Nice.

Seems pretty cheap in todays NHL contract structure for someone who accomplished what he did last year. Possibly there are additional incentives built into the contract?

Oh by the way, speaking of NHL salaries, I heard on the radio this morning that the average salary for NHL players is now officially higher that the pre lockout season, what was the point, was all of that for the salary cap? And based on thefirst part of this paragraph, has it worked?

Seems pretty cheap in todays NHL contract structure for someone who accomplished what he did last year. Possibly there are additional incentives built into the contract?

Oh by the way, speaking of NHL salaries, I heard on the radio this morning that the average salary for NHL players is now officially higher that the pre lockout season, what was the point, was all of that for the salary cap? And based on thefirst part of this paragraph, has it worked?

I would expect at least a 10 to 12% increase just for inflation. Higher revenues mean higher salaries as well.

This seems like a good move to me. Heck, any goalie who stops 95 98 (thanks Max) attempts in one game deserves a shot in the big leagues.

As far as having 2 young goalies, I really don't see the problem. There are other teams with young goalies, and one of them made it to the SCF this year! :blink: If they were both rookies it would be a different story.

Besides, aren't there several people on these boards who always talk about how we need to "get younger" on the team? <_<

Check out this - pretty funny: http://blogs.newsobserver.com/canes/index....p;tb=1&pb=1

He said plenty of times that he really, really wanted to be in Carolina so its possible he took the discount just to make sure he got the job.

Great signing! Terrific deal, 2 yrs at 600k is better than what i thought we would have got him for but I am happy. I can't wait to see him up here next year, though I hope he and Cam get along well.

This seems like a good move to me. Heck, any goalie who stops 95 attempts in one game deserves a shot in the big leagues.

As far as having 2 young goalies, I really don't see the problem. There are other teams with young goalies, and one of them made it to the SCF this year! :blink: If they were both rookies it would be a different story.

Besides, aren't there several people on these boards who always talk about how we need to "get younger" on the team? <_<

Check out this - pretty funny: http://blogs.newsobserver.com/canes/index.php/canes?title=leighton_signs_two_year_deal&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1' target="_blank">http://blogs.newsobserver.com/canes/index....p;tb=1&pb=1[/post]

He made 98 saves not 95. He stoped 98 of 101 shots.

I'm really excited about this signing. We haven't had a good backup in quite some time and we're not taking much of a risk of Leights. 600k for a proven backup is a good deal no matter how you look at it. Let's hope he can come in and make a difference and maybe play 15-20 games and take some of the pressure off cam. Better yet, lets hope having another confident goalie on the team lights a fire under cam's hiney that rocks the hockey world!

Sorry, my mistake.

But my point stands. :)

Oh yeah it does and I agree with your point. I have been saying for months now I think Leights deserves to be the back up. Just wanted to make sure he did not get rob of the other 3 saves :P

Just think about this...the Wild took a chance on a 29 year-old "rookie" goalie from Finland as their backup two season ago and he did a terrific job after the #1 guy went down with an injury. He and the other goalie went to win, I think, the Jennings Award. He then went on to earn a huge contract almost quadrupling his first contract. The difference is that the Wild's goalie had played in a couple of championship games in the Finnish league and won. Well... also that the Wild play a more defensive style of hockey than the Hurricanes.

That's besides the point... so, Leighton can do it. Albany also has good goal tenders that can step up if needed too.

Leighton doesn't qualify for incentives/bonuses. I guess you could say the one way contract was his incentive.

Judging by the fact that Leighton seemed to be willing to do anything to stay here (I think the fact that his mask says "Canes" all over it says it) he wasn't looking for incentives or anything. Just a chances to play here in Raleigh. :)

Judging by the fact that Leighton seemed to be willing to do anything to stay here (I think the fact that his mask says "Canes" all over it says it) he wasn't looking for incentives or anything. Just a chances to play here in Raleigh. :)
Well if you remember also I asked him this past season at our awards banquet if he plained to return next season and he said he wanted to re-sign because he loved playing in this organzation. He also said the same thing a few weeks later in our local newspapers here in Albany. He seemed really happy playing in this organazation. Always had a smile on his face and working his butt off everynight.

I think this is a very good signing. He should fit in the system rather nicely. I agree with the previous statement that with this kind of salary we should be able to step up a Dmen budget.

Excellent signing. I'm really looking forward to seeing him this coming season. Hopefully he and Cam will have a great working relationship and will challenge each other. Ward should not have to play 69 games! I'm excited about this deal.

We really do have a great organization, what a great deal!

Remember this fight? I hope bygones can be bygones with Ward & Leighton. :P

From a poster at canescountry---

We really do have a great organization, what a great deal!

Remember this fight? I hope bygones can be bygones with Ward & Leighton. :P

From a poster at canescountry---

''>
' target="_blank">
[/post]
This was another thing I talked to Leighton about during this past season. Was how him and Cam got along since they had a fight against each other. He said that him and Cam get along just great. When they get talking about that fight they both just sit there and laugh about it now. So from what Leights has told me they are good friends there are no hard feelings between them because of that.

This was another thing I talked to Leighton about during this past season. Was how him and Cam got along since they had a fight against each other. He said that him and Cam get along just great. When they get talking about that fight they both just sit there and laugh about it now. So from what Leights has told me they are good friends there are no hard feelings between them because of that.

I guess that's what you call "professionals". I'm not surprised about that. I may not be the greatest Ward fan on the ice, but I know he is an outstanding person and professional. Everything I have heard about Leighton is the same that he is an outstanding person and professional. Sometimes the best of friends were once enemies.

I guess that's what you call "professionals". I'm not surprised about that. I may not be the greatest Ward fan on the ice, but I know he is an outstanding person and professional. Everything I have heard about Leighton is the same that he is an outstanding person and professional. Sometimes the best of friends were once enemies.
Yeah very true.