The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Caniac5

Hedican news, his thoughts for now...

Sounds like he just used three sentences that were the equivalent of silence. "My contract is up, I may or may not return, I may or may not retire." He might as well have added "I may or may not be from another planet" while he was at it.

I think Brett Hedican is gradually heading down the path of "adios" Canes. Their house has a "For Sale" sign on it as of today. While I really like Brett and like what he has done for the team in his time here, I think he is slowing down because of injury and age. It is ok if he decides to move on as the Canes do need another young, fast and strong defenseman.

Here's my thinking, if Bret still wants to continue playing hockey, he would likely want to sign with a California team -- ideally with the Sharks since its in the Bay area -- or with the Minnesota Wild, where his family is from. Though, it sounds like their Minnesota home is a several hours drive from the arena.

Bye bye, Bret.

Welcome back, Casey Borer.

The only thing that might hold Casey back at the start of the season any way is the leg injury he suffered at the end of this past season. Not saying it will hold him back I hope it don't but just throwing that out there.

Hedican was a plus 17 this past season, hardly anything to swiftly wave goodbye at. Oh well.

Yes he was a +17. I guess the question is do you take the chance on one more good season or do you do what you must do -- try to revitalize/rebuild the defense with younger guys. I think that we need to choose the later path in light of the fact that you have Wesley who is no spring chicken, a questionable, consistent performer in Kaberle, Nick W being simply Nick. I say find some guys that we can build around Tim Gleason, add Joe Corvo into the mix where we can (e.g. powerplay) and give Borer his shot. But we will still need at least another younger D-Man to steady the defense.

Some of you guys are brutal. Anyone remember when he came here in 02 with Kevyn Adams and had his first skate as a Hurricane. How many people watched him and commented on what an amazing skater he was and noticed what he added to the defense immediately?

He was a big reason for the SC run in 02 and he certainly didnt have to commit to a six year contract to stay with this organization when the season ended. He would have been highly sought after following the finals but chose to stay here.

I wish the guy well wherever he ends up and hope that JR replaces him with someone who can bring what Brett Hedican brought to us in his healthier years.

Im merging this thread into one of the other Brett Hedican threads. Please look around before you start a new thread to see if there's already one posted.

Some of you guys are brutal. Anyone remember when he came here in 02 with Kevyn Adams and had his first skate as a Hurricane. How many people watched him and commented on what an amazing skater he was and noticed what he added to the defense immediately?

He was a big reason for the SC run in 02 and he certainly didnt have to commit to a six year contract to stay with this organization when the season ended. He would have been highly sought after following the finals but chose to stay here.

I wish the guy well wherever he ends up and hope that JR replaces him with someone who can bring what Brett Hedican brought to us in his healthier years.

Im merging this thread into one of the other Brett Hedican threads. Please look around before you start a new thread to see if there's already one posted.

We were just saying bye. I even was thinking about saying thank you for his contributions to our 2002 and 2006 Cup runs, but I forgot. Bret was great for us, but it was time for him to go. He wants to spend more time with his family and he has many nagging injuries that were still bothering him, I believe. As I said, good luck to him no matter if he chooses to retire or sign with a California team.

Well said TSA. ;)

From what Brett has given us particularly the last 2 years as bad as his hip problems have been we should be more grateful. I too think the D needs to get younger but Brett has been nothing short of a warrior for us since the day he put the Red and White sweater on.

Best of luck Brett and family. You've been a class act the entire way.

Well said, TSA. Or should I say, "Amen"? :rolleyes:

It seems most of us Canes fans aren't going to know what Hedican really brought to this team until we most likely see what we're missing when next season begins. Even if we do pull in some good new defensemen it's going to be tough to find one that brings what he did.

To Brett I'd say good luck in wherever life takes you, and thanks for all the great memories you brought us Canes fans.

I think Brett Hedican is gradually heading down the path of "adios" Canes. Their house has a "For Sale" sign on it as of today. While I really like Brett and like what he has done for the team in his time here, I think he is slowing down because of injury and age. It is ok if he decides to move on as the Canes do need another young, fast and strong defenseman.

Well put,I agree 100%.

I'm torn on this one. I'd like our defense to go in another direction and get younger, but yet, I see what he has done with Gleason, and I think those young guys, Gleason, Seidenberg and Borer if he makes the team are going to miss his leadership. It was even commented by Gleason that he hopes Hedican returns for another year b/c he learned so much from him.

I think Hedican signs with a team out in Cali, but if he wanted one more shot in Carolina I wouldn't be oppossed to bringing him back as long as the price was right. But my gut tells me he played his last game as a Cane on April 4th.

Well said and ITA. Well, ITA with everything except your spelling. It's Bret with one 't'. ;)

Well said and ITA. Well, ITA with everything except your spelling. It's Bret with one 't'. ;)

I certainly wouldn't mind if Hedican was back for one more year. He paired well with Gleason last year IMO. They brought out the best of each other.

Besides, I bought a stick of his and would love for him to sign it before he leaves! lol!

The only thing that might hold Casey back at the start of the season any way is the leg injury he suffered at the end of this past season. Not saying it will hold him back I hope it don't but just throwing that out there.

Missed that... What happened to Casey... I think Bret is ready to take some dancing lessons in sunny Callefornya...

TopShelfavry has a good point!

Hedican is still the fastest defenseman we have. Remember when he caught Ovechkin from the Washington blueline on the break away and got nothing but puck this last season?

If he does move on, good luck Bret and thank you for all you brought to the Canes.

And I hope that JR can get another solid, fast player to replace him.

There ya' go!

If Bret leaves, sorry to see him go. He's a great mentor. If his playing days are done, I can see him being a special consultant to the team. If he's still going to play, I hope JR does not insult him if Carolina is on his radar. I am eager to see some new faces on our defense. I really do like Hedican and Wesley, but time is the beast that keeps on tracking you and it ALWAYS wins. I think, in my non-professional observation only based opinion, that Casey show some flashes of what he can do, but needs to gain the C word that is so difficult to find-Consistency. Who else is down there? Do we REALLY think Brookbank is here to stay? Will Conboy move back to the D? Will Bret stay just to make us have this conversation again next year? Its fun to talk. I say sign Gleason and Seidenberg and lets move on, and thank Bret for his service at the same time.

If Bret leaves, sorry to see him go. He's a great mentor. If his playing days are done, I can see him being a special consultant to the team. If he's still going to play, I hope JR does not insult him if Carolina is on his radar. I am eager to see some new faces on our defense. I really do like Hedican and Wesley, but time is the beast that keeps on tracking you and it ALWAYS wins. I think, in my non-professional observation only based opinion, that Casey show some flashes of what he can do, but needs to gain the C word that is so difficult to find-Consistency. Who else is down there? Do we REALLY think Brookbank is here to stay? Will Conboy move back to the D? Will Bret stay just to make us have this conversation again next year? Its fun to talk. I say sign Gleason and Seidenberg and lets move on, and thank Bret for his service at the same time.

All your questions are being discussed here, in a thread titled "The Defense":

http://forums.carolinahurricanes.com/index.php?showtopic=13303' target="_blank">http://forums.carolinahurricanes.com/index...showtopic=13303[/post]