The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Caniac5

Hedican news, his thoughts for now...

If Bret leaves, sorry to see him go. He's a great mentor. If his playing days are done, I can see him being a special consultant to the team. If he's still going to play, I hope JR does not insult him if Carolina is on his radar. I am eager to see some new faces on our defense. I really do like Hedican and Wesley, but time is the beast that keeps on tracking you and it ALWAYS wins. I think, in my non-professional observation only based opinion, that Casey show some flashes of what he can do, but needs to gain the C word that is so difficult to find-Consistency. Who else is down there? Do we REALLY think Brookbank is here to stay? Will Conboy move back to the D? Will Bret stay just to make us have this conversation again next year? Its fun to talk. I say sign Gleason and Seidenberg and lets move on, and thank Bret for his service at the same time.

All your questions are being discussed here, in a thread titled "The Defense":

http://forums.carolinahurricanes.com/index.php?showtopic=13303' target="_blank">http://forums.carolinahurricanes.com/index...showtopic=13303[/post]

Missed that... What happened to Casey... I think Bret is ready to take some dancing lessons in sunny Callefornya...
With like 2 or 3 weeks left in the season the Rats were playing a game out in Syracuse New York against the Syracuse Crunch and in the third period of that game Casey was carrying the puck at center ice headed towards the Rats offensive zone and one of the Syracuse players stuck his knee out and kneeded Casey. It ended Casey's season and Casey had to come down to Religh to see the Canes doctors so they could do surgery on him. Could tell right after the hit Casey was in trouble.

Yeah, they're moving back to California, where Kristi is originally from.

Bye-bye Bret.

Already gone. Moved after the news of was announced.

Some of you guys are brutal. Anyone remember when he came here in 02 with Kevyn Adams and had his first skate as a Hurricane. How many people watched him and commented on what an amazing skater he was and noticed what he added to the defense immediately?

He was a big reason for the SC run in 02 and he certainly didnt have to commit to a six year contract to stay with this organization when the season ended. He would have been highly sought after following the finals but chose to stay here.

I wish the guy well wherever he ends up and hope that JR replaces him with someone who can bring what Brett Hedican brought to us in his healthier years.

Im merging this thread into one of the other Brett Hedican threads. Please look around before you start a new thread to see if there's already one posted.

AMEN

I certainly wouldn't mind if Hedican was back for one more year. He paired well with Gleason last year IMO. They brought out the best of each other.

Besides, I bought a stick of his and would love for him to sign it before he leaves! lol!

Again, Bret's already gone, sorry. Sure he'll be back to visit!!!!

UPDATE:

Lord Stanley's Blog has reported...

Interestingly, the locker room looks pretty much like it did when the season ended in April, with one exception: Bret Hedican's nameplate is gone from above his locker. The others all remain.

Take it for what it's worth!

I think Brett Hedican is gradually heading down the path of "adios" Canes. Their house has a "For Sale" sign on it as of today. While I really like Brett and like what he has done for the team in his time here, I think he is slowing down because of injury and age. It is ok if he decides to move on as the Canes do need another young, fast and strong defenseman.

hmmm, they must be FSBO-ing it then since there is no such listing of any kind in the MLS of it since they purchased it.

Still sad to see him possibly leaving, but whatever is best for him is always good.

Everyone is talking about Borer coming up to replace him next year, which frankly I have no problem with, but when will Jamie McBain be ready? If I recall I think it was the hockey's future website that put him at 2nd behind Sutter in terms of our prospects, where Borer is 4th (behind Bowman)

Still sad to see him possibly leaving, but whatever is best for him is always good.

Everyone is talking about Borer coming up to replace him next year, which frankly I have no problem with, but when will Jamie McBain be ready? If I recall I think it was the hockey's future website that put him at 2nd behind Sutter in terms of our prospects, where Borer is 4th (behind Bowman)

McBain is going into his Jr. year at Wisconsin--and he will, at the very least, play out this year in college. He MAY leave after the season, but my guess is that the Canes will let he and Lawson play out their eligibility and give them a shot to make the team then. Both play for excellent coaches, especially McBain, and they are not enough of a physical presence to really make an impact until they are ready to play a regular shift. Not really surprising for d-men to be 22 or 23 years old before they are ready to make an NHL team on a regular basis--just stinks having to wait for it...

I hate to see Bret leave because I think he is great with this team, but I believe his heart is on the West coast. The few times I saw Kristi on DWTS, Bret seemed to enjoy the time with his girls. It also appears that the families get along well too. I guess you have to go where your heart is. I just wish him good luck wherever he settles. Maybe we can find some young blood for next year.