The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
StateColeFan

Erik Cole

Interesting that this thread got started since I was contemplating starting one myself.

I am getting a little frustrated by the general assumption that Erik Cole being traded is a done deal out here on the discussion lists and therefore his absence should be factored into the decisions.

Examples:

Cole can't be assistant captain since he is probably gone.

Here's what the lines will look like with no Cole.

Trade Cole quick before he stubs his toe and he isn't worth anything (sarcasm)

I've said it before and I'll say it again. You don't trade when a player's stock is undervalued, you trade when it is overvalued. This is if you want to win the trading game. If you want to lose it, be my guest. I think his stock is undervalued.

I also think it is in poor taste for a lot of folks to act like he is already gone. What is next, all of the disappointment when we sign him to a long-term deal? In the end, IMHO, if JR were to trade a lesser player and get this defense deal done for cheaper, wouldn't that be a better deal? (Cite: Ruutu for Pitkanen)

This season will be a turning point for Erik, I believe. Maybe he is the injury-prone guy a lot of people believe he is. I disagree. I think this year he will return to top form and surpass what he was doing when the topic of another recent thread ended his season where he was well on his way to 40 goals. Think about it, if he is about to score 40 goals, do you really want to see him in another sweater, or do you want him right next to Mr. Staal for a season?

We could be on the verge of a major mistake...

Come on JR, get it done some other way... You've done it before...

Well, let's put it this way. Cole was our 3rd leading scorer with 51 points in 73 games, that's true.

But then you look at Brindamour, who racked up 51 points in 59 games. Or Cullen, who earned 49 in 59 games. You don't think there's a problem when he's played 14 more games, and barely edges out those injured players?

And yes, Cole did draw a lot of penalties for the team. On the other hand, he also had 76 minutes worth of penalties. For a guy who doesn't fight that often, that's a staggering amount.

Cole has always been a valued member of the team, and we'll always respect him and his skill, but there comes a point where you've got to take a look at a player and question if you couldn't get something more for him.

He's a UFA next year do you really want to believe he's going to stay? He could make a buttload of cash somewhere else AND we wind up with nothing. Better to deal him now and get something AND the 2002 Cole and the Cole we got now are different....... this one only swings in because its the safe thing to do. I haven't seen Erik Cole succesfully spilt the D down the pipe since he broke his leg in 03?

In Cole's defense re: penalty minutes, didn't a boatload of them come in that one game where he ended up getting the boot?

L

<edited to take inadvertant quote out to satisfy the board police>

Also of our current roster he is the most tradeable (will get us the most bang for the buck). Other teams covet him, we have a depth at forward that can fill the gap. He also has one year left on his contract before he becomes a UFA and it is known that he will likely want to test the market. Short of this season becoming a disaster for him (which I doubt) he will command big bucks. If we trade him now we will get something of major value for him, if we wait we will end up with nothing.

In Cole's defense re: penalty minutes, didn't a boatload of them come in that one game where he ended up getting the boot?

L

? Reply to the wrong person?

I totally agree with keeping Cole. He's an amazing player and everyone here in Carolina loves him! My suggestion: send Kabs and Tripp Tracey to the Falmes for Dion Phaneuf. If that deal doesn't improve our defense I don't know what will...

He's a UFA next year do you really want to believe he's going to stay? He could make a buttload of cash somewhere else AND we wind up with nothing. Better to deal him now and get something AND the 2002 Cole and the Cole we got now are different....... this one only swings in because its the safe thing to do. I haven't seen Erik Cole succesfully spilt the D down the pipe since he broke his leg in 03?

It's a foregone conclusion that we will never hold onto a free agent again other than Staal? Can't we pay for 2 players? Or is the thought that we are always going to hold RFA's and rookies and 2nd/3rd tiered free agents?

I totally agree with keeping Cole. He's an amazing player and everyone here in Carolina loves him! My suggestion: send Kabs and Tripp Tracey to the Falmes for Dion Phaneuf. If that deal doesn't improve our defense I don't know what will...

and you really think the Flames will want Kabs, why??? I can see Tripp Tracey being a hotter commodity.

It's a foregone conclusion that we will never hold onto a free agent again other than Staal? Can't we pay for 2 players? Or is the thought that we are always going to hold RFA's and rookies and 2nd/3rd tiered free agents?

With what money!? We can barely fix the leaking pipes of our defense with our current finances.

? Reply to the wrong person?

I don't know why it included a quote from anyone as it didn't show up in my reply window as I was typing it. I was adding a general comment to the bottom of the thread.

That being said, was it really such a big deal that you had to comment on it?

L

I don't know why it included a quote from anyone as it didn't show up in my reply window as I was typing it. I was adding a general comment to the bottom of the thread.

That being said, was it really such a big deal that you had to comment on it?

L

yea cause your post was complaining to me like i said it... so yea it was.

Cole has been my favorite player since his rookie year (2001-02). I love the guy, but I'm going to put by bias aside and explain why Cole always pops up in trade rumors.

1-He's negotiations are tough

Signing Cole is never an easy thing. When its time to get this guy signed, his agent plays hardball.

2-He's a UFA when Staal becomes a RFA

Sorry folks but between the 2 Eric(k)s, Staal, gets the money. As a small market team, we just won't have the money to pay Staal and Cole. Especially if both guys have a good year, Staal will get no less than $7-8M, Cole will want more than $4M.

3-Top 5 power forward which makes him your best asset

Any of the other 29 teams would love to have Cole on their team. We are in a rock and a hard place b/c we are desperate for a top defenseman. Teams know this, we are not going to get a defenseman for Kaberle or LaRose, or Eaves or Seidenberg, etc. In order to get a top player you have to give a top player. A team that is willing to trade their top defenseman is going to want a top forward (player) in return.

I'm not saying Cole is 100% gone, but he is your best asset. Your other asset would be Williams. But as a GM if you have to say: do I want to keep Cole who is a UFA after this season and who is 29, or do I want Williams who is 25 and under contract for 3 additional years at a nice price. Most GMs will go the later.

Now JR is a pretty darn good GM, so us Cole fans will just have to hope that JR can get his top defenseman without trading Cole and then beable to sign him to a decent contract next season.

L

<edited to take inadvertant quote out to satisfy the board police>

Yeah, 19 came in the Minnesota game when that goon Voros game Staal a headshot into the boards, which is completely acceptable...he was protecting his best player.

Cole got 19 minutes in the game against Minnesota. He also got 5 minutes in a game against Pittsburgh for fighting Orpik. In a game against Buffalo, he got a 10-minute misconduct.

But that still doesn't explain why he only earned 51 points this year. Cullen played 14 less games, on the 3rd line, and still only put up 2 less than Cole. If Staal can put up 82 points playing a little more games, on the same line as Cole, shouldn't have Cole hit around the 65-70 mark?

Only reason to keep Cole is the undeniable fact players do amazing on contract years :\

Expecially their first UFA year....

Hell now that Rowe was promoted and behind the bench back here we could probably sign six skaters off this board and he would turn them into a solid defense corp.

my top 2 pairing for D would be

TSA since he helped run spygate he would be a helluva diver and we need those PP's. Oh man am I dead for that one..

Icefrogg... instigator extraordinaire

Cant lose! One taking penalites and the other evening it out!

I really believe we should trade Whitney or Ruutu if we cant sign him, not Cole or Williams.

Williams is one of the cheapest top 6 forwards in the game, and one of the best.

Cole likes it in Carolina, saying things like "we would be dissappointed if I got traded," and if Staal and himself can really get going this year he may decide to take a pay cut to play here. This is the year Erik puts it all together and explodes offensively, a `cane or not, i dont know.

I say Whitney, Wallin and a pick to edmonton for Pitkanen?

Then sign Bryce Salvador, which would not be expensive.

Just because Cole for (Offensive Defensemen) straight up would be accepted by both involved GM`s, doesnt mean that Whitney, (pick or prospect) and/or Wallin wont get you the same thing.

Believe me, having Cole next year will be more valuable for the Hurricanes than Whitney, whatever prospect or pick, and Wallin.

I really believe we should trade Whitney or Ruutu if we cant sign him, not Cole or Williams.

Williams is one of the cheapest top 6 forwards in the game, and one of the best.

Cole likes it in Carolina, saying things like "we would be disappointed if I got traded," and if Staal and himself can really get going this year he may decide to take a pay cut to play here. This is the year Erik puts it all together and explodes offensively, a `cane or not, i dont know.

I say Whitney, Wallin and a pick to Edmonton for Pitkanen?

Just because Cole for (Offensive Defensemen) straight up would be accepted by both involved GM`s, doesn't mean that Whitney, (pick or prospect) and/or Wallin wont get you the same thing.

Believe me, having Cole next year will be more valuable for the Hurricanes than Whitney, whatever prospect or pick, and Wallin.

for the one hundredth time, Wallin has a NTC and as he showed last year, he will not waive it!! It would also be safe to assume Whitney has one too!

Cole likes it in Carolina, saying things like "we would be dissappointed if I got traded," and if Staal and himself can really get going this year he may decide to take a pay cut to play here. This is the year Erik puts it all together and explodes offensively, a `cane or not, i dont know.

I say Whitney, Wallin and a pick to edmonton for Pitkanen?

Just because Cole for (Offensive Defensemen) straight up would be accepted by both involved GM`s, doesnt mean that Whitney, (pick or prospect) and/or Wallin wont get you the same thing.

CulleyFor1liner is basically right. Williams is excellent bait, but the deal is too good for us to trade him. Whitney's stock can never be higher IMHO. You can get the most for him right now that you would ever get, he's the Wizard, he has cup experience, played with some great teams in the past. And he is undersized and as the clutching/grabbing NHL slowly creeps back in he's going to get pummeled.

However, Wallin has a no-trader, so that part is unfortunately not going to happen.

TSA since he helped run spygate he would be a helluva diver and we need those PP's. Oh man am I dead for that one..

Is it bad that I'm more honored at the extraordinaire part than annoyed at the instigator part? :lol:

CulleyFor1liner is basically right. Williams is excellent bait, but the deal is too good for us to trade him. Whitney's stock can never be higher IMHO. You can get the most for him right now that you would ever get, he's the Wizard, he has cup experience, played with some great teams in the past. And he is undersized and as the clutching/grabbing NHL slowly creeps back in he's going to get pummeled.

However, Wallin has a no-trader, so that part is unfortunately not going to happen.

I wouldn't be surprised to find out that Whitney has a NTC as well which leads us back to Cole.

Is it bad that I'm more honored at the extraordinaire part than annoyed at the instigator part? :lol:

it was a compliment froggy!! Take it as such! If hockey was a verbal game you would lead the league in instigator penalties!! LOL

I wouldn't be surprised to find out that Whitney has a NTC as well which leads us back to Cole.

If he has one, no one has mentioned it before that I know of.

At least Im a top pairing, lol. Sorry, just cant work with Icefrogg, we're polar opposites and wouldnt complement each other well. :lol:

Legend, Im watching you <_<