The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
StateColeFan

Erik Cole

not to beat a dead horse or anything....but i think we should keep cole. haha motion to close thread?? (unless something happens on draft day like everyone predicts.....)

Its always interesting to see how an Erik Cole thread plays out. He's the one player that can divide the board and stir a lot of emotion from everyone, and its not just here, its on other boards too.

The Canes drafted him and we all (well..many of us) watched him develop and break out in his rookie season when the Canes went on their first run to the Finals against Detroit. Cole had a great year over in Germany during the lock out and came back stronger and faster than ever. In the 05-06 season, Cole was well on his way to having a career year, and was starting to see more and more resposibility on the ice. Until of course, he took the hit that broke his neck.

The media (and Erik) allowed us all to walk through the slow and painful recovery with him and his family that took the rest of the season, all the while watching the Canes tear it up throughout the season which brought even more new fans on board to follow Cole's story. When he appeared in the warm ups up in Edmonton and played his first game post injury, we all gasped every time he took a hit wondering if it would be his last. He drew the penalty in game #7 which led to the winning goal and we watched him lift the Cup over his head.

The following season, no one on the team had a particularly great year and Erik still had plenty of symptoms left from the neck injury. Last year, his neck seemed to hold up fine but has he lost a step and have we already seen the best that Erik Cole can bring? I think most everyone here is rooting for him but most understand that sometimes a change is best for the player as well as the team.

He's the first player to come up through the Canes draft and be a part of the highest high's (02,06), and lowest lows (03 :o ).

Whatever happens with him, there's sure to be a lot of emotion in the threads about it because he's the first Cane we could really attach ourselves to, and he's one of the recognizable faces of our franchise.

Its always interesting to see how an Erik Cole thread plays out. He's the one player that can divide the board and stir a lot of emotion from everyone, and its not just here, its on other boards too.

The Canes drafted him and we all (well..many of us) watched him develop and break out in his rookie season when the Canes went on their first run to the Finals against Detroit. Cole had a great year over in Germany during the lock out and came back stronger and faster than ever. In the 05-06 season, Cole was well on his way to having a career year, and was starting to see more and more resposibility on the ice. Until of course, he took the hit that broke his neck.

The media (and Erik) allowed us all to walk through the slow and painful recovery with him and his family that took the rest of the season, all the while watching the Canes tear it up throughout the season which brought even more new fans on board to follow Cole's story. When he appeared in the warm ups up in Edmonton and played his first game post injury, we all gasped every time he took a hit wondering if it would be his last. He drew the penalty in game #7 which led to the winning goal and we watched him lift the Cup over his head.

The following season, no one on the team had a particularly great year and Erik still had plenty of symptoms left from the neck injury. Last year, his neck seemed to hold up fine but has he lost a step and have we already seen the best that Erik Cole can bring? I think most everyone here is rooting for him but most understand that sometimes a change is best for the player as well as the team.

He's the first player to come up through the Canes draft and be a part of the highest high's (02,06), and lowest lows (03 :o ).

Whatever happens with him, there's sure to be a lot of emotion in the threads about it because he's the first Cane we could really attach ourselves to, and he's one of the recognizable faces of our franchise.

Great post TSA, it really says it all.

Okay so I'm thinking that all this Cole trade talk suxs! I for one can't believe JR would get rid of Cole. They have said multiple times that Cam and the two Erik/Eric's are the heart and the future of this team. Maybe I'm opening up a can, but it's my opinion and everyone has them. Cole is one of the most entertaining hockey players to watch. His speed and puck handling is just as good if not better than Sammy. I know his injuries have had a lot to do with the way that he plays, but you have to admit he stepped up through all of our injuries last season. Also, don't forget that he led our team in hits. He's a forward and he led the team in hits. I'm sorry but anyone that isn't supposed to fight and still sticks up for his teammates by fighting (Mar. 6th game Min. Wild) is someone I want on my team.

Okay so I'm thinking that all this Cole trade talk suxs! I for one can't believe JR would get rid of Cole. They have said multiple times that Cam and the two Erik/Eric's are the heart and the future of this team. Maybe I'm opening up a can, but it's my opinion and everyone has them. Cole is one of the most entertaining hockey players to watch. His speed and puck handling is just as good if not better than Sammy. I know his injuries have had a lot to do with the way that he plays, but you have to admit he stepped up through all of our injuries last season. Also, don't forget that he led our team in hits. He's a forward and he led the team in hits. I'm sorry but anyone that isn't supposed to fight and still sticks up for his teammates by fighting (Mar. 6th game Min. Wild) is someone I want on my team.

Great post, very good points.

Sorry if this has already been posted but...

The only thing it comes down to financial. There is no doubt that his teammates love him and most, if not all, fans love him. The reason he is most mentioned is because his contract will be up in a year and will require 5 mil + to resign. I dont think JK can afford to give him that plus Staal around 6-7mil and get this defense some much needed help. Williams is locked up at 3.5mil for another couple of seasons. Whitney has a no trade clause and will only waive it for a team he know will win the cup (not nashville or Vancouver) and maybe Edmonton for the sentamental value. Ruutu is in some talks but, I only think it will be a RFA for a RFA swap. Which will give JR more of a headache.

If we could only get more fans in the seats every night and get more corporate sponsors JK would possibly be able to afford to keep the talent we have but, it takes a winner to get more of those. And with the rising gas problems you are going to see more smaller city professional teams get hit real hard. No one is going to want to travel that far to see them play.

I love Cole but, I love the Canes more. The team needs a better defense and he is really the only choice in trades. Now unless JR can swing a trade to dump Kaberle's salary I dont see them being able to keep Cole.

Sorry if this has already been posted but...

The only thing it comes down to financial. There is no doubt that his teammates love him and most, if not all, fans love him. The reason he is most mentioned is because his contract will be up in a year and will require 5 mil + to resign. I dont think JK can afford to give him that plus Staal around 6-7mil and get this defense some much needed help. Williams is locked up at 3.5mil for another couple of seasons. Whitney has a no trade clause and will only waive it for a team he know will win the cup (not nashville or Vancouver) and maybe Edmonton for the sentamental value. Ruutu is in some talks but, I only think it will be a RFA for a RFA swap. Which will give JR more of a headache.

If we could only get more fans in the seats every night and get more corporate sponsors JK would possibly be able to afford to keep the talent we have but, it takes a winner to get more of those. And with the rising gas problems you are going to see more smaller city professional teams get hit real hard. No one is going to want to travel that far to see them play.

I love Cole but, I love the Canes more. The team needs a better defense and he is really the only choice in trades. Now unless JR can swing a trade to dump Kaberle's salary I dont see them being able to keep Cole.

I have to say I agree and disagree with that. Unfortunately you are right it all comes down to the politics of it all. In this league money talks. Now there are some players, namely Sammy that took a pay cut because he really likes it here. There have to be other players that are willing to do that too. We actually talked to LaRose at the Canes viewing party and he told us that he does want to stay. He asked us to put in a call for him.

I completely agree with the more fans and butts in the seats theory. I live about a half hour past Greensboro and ended up making it to over 30 games last season. My dad and I have been season ticket holders for the past 2 and this year we added 2 of my friends. I'm trying as hard as I can to recruit people. Two is better than none in my book. My friend and I actually went on the road and saw them play in DC and the next night in NJ. We will be coming to see them play as long as they are here regardless of gas prices.

We goto Tampa and Ft. Lauderdale to see them play, but that helps the Bolts and Cats out moreso. (Which I won't mind since Stamkos is there and Olli is out. :lol:)

I have to say I agree and disagree with that. Unfortunately you are right it all comes down to the politics of it all. In this league money talks. Now there are some players, namely Sammy that took a pay cut because he really likes it here. There have to be other players that are willing to do that too. We actually talked to LaRose at the Canes viewing party and he told us that he does want to stay. He asked us to put in a call for him.

I completely agree with the more fans and butts in the seats theory. I live about a half hour past Greensboro and ended up making it to over 30 games last season. My dad and I have been season ticket holders for the past 2 and this year we added 2 of my friends. I'm trying as hard as I can to recruit people. Two is better than none in my book. My friend and I actually went on the road and saw them play in DC and the next night in NJ. We will be coming to see them play as long as they are here regardless of gas prices.

im not trying to say that gas prices will deter the big fans from coming. But maybe someone who has thought of trying to a 10 game pack or a casual fan who may want to try to make it to a few games. I just wish they would play in Dallas or Denver sometime so maybe I can go see them play. Im stuck here in OK not being able to see the Canes.

im not trying to say that gas prices will deter the big fans from coming. But maybe someone who has thought of trying to a 10 game pack or a casual fan who may want to try to make it to a few games. I just wish they would play in Dallas or Denver sometime so maybe I can go see them play. Im stuck here in OK not being able to see the Canes.

That's what I have is a mini-pack plan. My dad can't get off work as often as I can so we just get the mini pack. Then my other friends and I go to the rest when we can. I hope that gas prices don't deter big fans from coming. I also hope that other people will broaden their horizons and come and see a game. I always say it only takes one game to come and see and then you are hooked.

I'm so sorry you are stuck in OK. I had a chance to move down to FL and I didn't because I didn't want to give up not seeing the Canes. Well if you are ever over here, I can't speak for all the Caniacs, but I would be willing to put up a place to stay for anyone, of course they have to be a Canes fan. Of course I live 1 1/2 hours away from the RBC Center, but still.

You might get your chance to see them play in Dallas or Denver next season with the new rules/schedule.

Back to the subject at hand though you are right more rears in the seats and the issue of resigning or trading people wouldn't even be a subject, maybe.

Cole is my second favorite player on the team and you hate to see any of your favorite players get traded. I'm sure JR was feeling the heat from fans when the whole Commie/Stilly trade went down. Do we know if it was a good thing? In the case of Corvo absolutely, in my opinion. I loved Commie, but Corvo turned the PP around. Would Commie have been my first choice of D to get rid of? No! We haven't really seen what Eaves can do so the jury is out on that one.

Bottom line is all these trade rumors are just that....rumors. Until something happens and is on this website or in the paper or on the NHL website/network, I'm not going to believe it. Why get upset over something that hasn't happened yet. Like a lot of people have said the rumors of trading Cole started before this past season and he's still here with us. I for one would like to see him retire a Cane, but I'm also realistic and know that might not happen. Until it's in black and white I won't believe it.

I will say it once again, Its silly to trade Cole or Williams.

We can move Whitney and Ruutu`s salaries to get a good defenseman, we can afford to keep all other players.

Vancouver would be idiots to not accept Ruutu and Whitney for Bieksa.

Ah, I said I'd never look here again, but whatever. The whole salary thing with Cole is a ridiculous excuse to trade him. He won't expect or ask for more than he is making, unless he totally rips it up this coming season. He won't be making more than he is now. IMO he has earned an A on his jersey, I thought he should've got it before Walker.

I will say it once again, Its silly to trade Cole or Williams.

We can move Whitney and Ruutu`s salaries to get a good defenseman, we can afford to keep all other players.

Vancouver would be idiots to not accept Ruutu and Whitney for Bieksa.

what's silly is how you continue to throw out these absurd proposals. how does trading ruutu and whitney make us better? we would have our defenseman but now be short a top 9 forward. not to mention vancouver would be slightly idiotic to take on the xtra salary. bieksa is not coming to carolina for anything less than cole or williams.

The only way that would help would be the fact we're shipping some offense for Defense, something which we most likely will do if we do make a trade. We have Sutter and our recent first rounder Boychuck who can possibly make the team to fit in the empty spots that will result in that trade. But Bieksa isn't near worth Whitney AND Ruutu.

IMO We're stuffed offensively and our biggest problem is lack of depth defensively. Erik Cole is thrown around rumors because people think he is not going to get back to what he was in 06, which IMO he will, and even if he doesn't, what he is now is great. No one really has put up impressive numbers lately. Cole is less expandable than Ruutu or Whitney. This is because Whitney and Cole are making around the same and they are both offensively gifted. The thing Cole has that Whitney doesn't is he's younger, and he's been with the organization since being drafted.

IMO again, I'd rather keep Cole and Whitney. Free Agency.

I know, Cole doesnt really make alot. If we cant afford 4 million for a top line player, how do we afford anything?

Whitney makes only a tiny bit less than Cole.

as i mentioned before Whitney has a NTC and I dont see him accepting a trade to Vancouver, just because Vancouver doesnt have a great chance at winning the cup. Dallas, Anaheim, Detroit, Pitt, and NJ because of their good chance at winning then Edmonton for sentimental value.

Ah, I said I'd never look here again, but whatever. The whole salary thing with Cole is a ridiculous excuse to trade him. He won't expect or ask for more than he is making, unless he totally rips it up this coming season. He won't be making more than he is now. IMO he has earned an A on his jersey, I thought he should've got it before Walker.

I'm in agreement with you 100%. Cole should have definitely received the "A" way before Walks. Not that Walks isn't a great player, but come on. Talk about not feelin' the love.

Great post and point.

The reason he is most mentioned is because his contract will be up in a year and will require 5 mil + to resign. I dont think JK can afford to give him that plus Staal around 6-7mil

Where are you getting these numbers from? There's no way on earth Cole makes more than $5M on his next contract unless he puts up insane numbers this year. And do you really think Cole is worth almost as much as Staal?

This thread is crazy. He's worthless in one post and overvalued in the next.

Where are you getting these numbers from? There's no way on earth Cole makes more than $5M on his next contract unless he puts up insane numbers this year. And do you really think Cole is worth almost as much as Staal?

nobody considers Cole worthless, bottom line is he is hard to negotiate with come contract time, teams will offer stupid amounts of money ($6mil or more), he will go where the money is!! He WILL get traded while he still has some value to the team UNLESS JR could get him to sign a contract extension.

Doubt that. Cole won't be so fast as to take the big money and run. He has two children and a wife, and he has been bringing his family up here. He wouldn't uproot them that quickly just for the money. Maybe a younger Erik Cole would, but I think he'd stay here for the "hometown discount" or whatever. My opinion. :P

Sometimes out of being bored waiting for some real news from real hockey people, these threads do tend to spin in circles.

Bottom line: we are just fans and know nothing more than what we read and guess about. Some forget to add "IMO" to their posts, I hope no one thinks they are posting facts.

Take it with a grain of salt, hopefully we'll get some news soon ;)

I'm in agreement with you 100%. Cole should have definitely received the "A" way before Walks. Not that Walks isn't a great player, but come on. Talk about not feelin' the love.

Great post and point.

its not about being a better player its about being a better leader on and off the ice.

Sometimes out of being bored waiting for some real news from real hockey people, these threads do tend to spin in circles.

Bottom line: we are just fans and know nothing more than what we read and guess about. Some forget to add "IMO" to their posts, I hope no one thinks they are posting facts.

Take it with a grain of salt, hopefully we'll get some news soon ;)

Hah, don't worry. July 1st doesn't seem so far away..... does it? And what about the Hordichuk thing? I was like, Why?