The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
StateColeFan

Erik Cole

From what i hear, whitney doesnt have a NTC.

Even is he does, why wouldnt he want to play for his hometown team for probably what will be the final two years of his career?

Also hag65 brings up more great reasons to trade whitney...especially his veteran presence. Those young teams with a ton of good young defensemen, (Chicago, Nashville) would love to have the Wizard.

GMing can't be that hard, on NHL 08 I traded Bret Hedican and a 2nd round pick to Edmonton for Joni Pitkinan. Come on if I can do it, JR certainly can ;)

Oh yeah even if I was being serious, hedican is already gone :rolleyes:

From what i hear, Whitney doesn't have a NTC.

Even is he does, why wouldn't he want to play for his hometown team for probably what will be the final two years of his career?

Also hag65 brings up more great reasons to trade Whitney...especially his veteran presence. Those young teams with a ton of good young defensemen, (Chicago, Nashville) would love to have the Wizard.

who knows, we will find out soon enough. You just can't always assume that "Everyone Loves Raymond", given his age and injuries he is not as hot a commodity as Cole. I would think the return on Cole would easily be twice what Whitney would bring. The reason we would trade either of these two has more to do with what we get in return then our perceived value. too often some of you think we can just unload our garbage and other teams will be just grateful to have anything that they will go for it. Most GM's are pretty smart men.

GMing can't be that hard, on NHL 08 I traded Bret Hedican and a 2nd round pick to Edmonton for Joni Pitkinan. Come on if I can do it, JR certainly can ;)

Oh yeah even if I was being serious, hedican is already gone :rolleyes:

Haha, I love being the GM! I traded Kaberle and a 1st round pick for Keith and Seabrook! I wish we could do that right now.....

Cole got 19 minutes in the game against Minnesota. He also got 5 minutes in a game against Pittsburgh for fighting Orpik. In a game against Buffalo, he got a 10-minute misconduct.

But that still doesn't explain why he only earned 51 points this year. Cullen played 14 less games, on the 3rd line, and still only put up 2 less than Cole. If Staal can put up 82 points playing a little more games, on the same line as Cole, shouldn't have Cole hit around the 65-70 mark?

Agreed. Cole was only our third leading scorer because he played more games than most other forwards.

In terms of points-per-game, Cole was behind Staal, Whitney, Brind'amour, Cullen, Stillman, Williams, Corvo and Samsonov (only counting Samsonov/Corvo's points rate with the Hurricanes).

Erik Cole played with a point-per-game center in Staal and only managed 51 points. That's pathetic. What do you think Erik Cole's points would have looked like if he was playing with an Erik Cole clone? 40 points?

Is it bad that I'm more honored at the extraordinaire part than annoyed at the instigator part? :lol:

I had to take the time to use spell check to spell that word I hope your honored lol

At least Im a top pairing, lol. Sorry, just cant work with Icefrogg, we're polar opposites and wouldnt complement each other well. :lol:

Legend, Im watching you <_<

Is that a Jagr attitude I see? You gonna skate one circle around the rink and then come back to the bench cause you dont like who I am pairing you with!

He's a UFA next year do you really want to believe he's going to stay? He could make a buttload of cash somewhere else AND we wind up with nothing. Better to deal him now and get something AND the 2002 Cole and the Cole we got now are different....... this one only swings in because its the safe thing to do. I haven't seen Erik Cole succesfully spilt the D down the pipe since he broke his leg in 03?

Yes I really do think he will resign with the team. Why wouldn't he? He has a wife and two kids here, I don't think he'd be too willing to uproot them and at his age of 30 (next year when he becomes a UFA). Erik Cole has spent his entire career here, I can't really see him as the guy who would just chase the money.

And I'm not ganna read the rest of this thread, because it makes me sick. I don't really like reading people thrashing my favorite player in the sport. :P

Erik Cole played with a point-per-game center in Staal and only managed 51 points. That's pathetic. What do you think Erik Cole's points would have looked like if he was playing with an Erik Cole clone? 40 points?

We should probably trade this pathetic guy then.

2006 59 points in 60 games

2008 51 points in 73 games

JR: "We have Cole here, he's a premier forward in this league. How about your first line D-Man Joe Stopsalot for Cole?"

Steve Snively: "Come on, look at his numbers, he's declined every year since he took a dive into the wall and broke his neck! Why do I want to give you my second best D-Man. How about Franky Kaberle's little brother, Wilhelm "OrangeCone" Kaberle? After all, you had better offload Cole before he trips over the blueline and injures himself again. He's injury-prone, you know."

JR: "Ok. He's pathetic. I'll take it."

(The preceding post was a dramatization. Actual events may vary. Those with a weak stomach for sarcasm should avoid contact with this post)

Cole does rack up a lot of injuries, but they gnerally are out of his control. Orpik brock his neck, in the 02-03 season (i think) he hit a rut and broke his leg. Its not like hes geting tapped and getting injured, its because he gets pummeled out there.

And key reasons to keep him:

He plays big and can hit (which we lack)

No one is faster in the first 3 strides

Defensemen hate him because he can just burn right through him

And finally:

He can play really good defense when he gets the chance.

And yes, his production went down the last two seasons, but he broke his neck. Its gonna take a little bit of time to get back to speed, like its gonna take Cullen a little bit of time to get over his concussion and Williams and Brindy to get over their torn ACL/MCL. An injuries effect last a lot longer than when it fully heals.

No one disagrees with Cole's skills but we need major help on D and he is the most desirable commodity on our roster.

No one disagrees with Cole's skills but we need major help on D and he is the most desirable commodity on our roster.
Exactly. If someone can figure out a way to improve our D without trading a major forward, please tell us. We don't have the money to overpay for a major UFA, and there isn't much out on the free agent market anyway.

It would be nice if we could get a good d-men for Wallin+Kaberle+7th round pick, but that's not happening.

One of Cole, Whitney or Williams will not be here next season. Erik Cole makes the most sense to trade because he is up for a new contract at the same time as Staal and we do not have the money to keep both.

Exactly. If someone can figure out a way to improve our D without trading a major forward, please tell us. We don't have the money to overpay for a major UFA, and even if we did there isn't much out on the free agent market.

It would be nice if we could get a good d-men for Wallin+Kaberle+pick, but that's not happening.

One of Cole, Whitney or Williams will not be here next season.

Out of those 3, I'd rather keep Whitney and Williams. I'd like to see Williams stay on for at least an extension on his current contract.

The point i have been trying to make for so long...There is NOTHING that says you have to trade your "hottest commodity" We can get what we want with less.

To get what you want you have to give the other team something worthwhile, no one will trade their top pair defenseman for our garbage!! If you give less you get less!! Simple rule of business, you get what you pay for.

Out of those 3, I'd rather keep Whitney and Williams. I'd like to see Williams stay on for at least an extension on his current contract.
Williams is already signed for three more years at $3.5M.

To get what you want you have to give the other team something worthwhile, no one will trade their top pair defenseman for our garbage!!

And before he makes the same proposal he always does, Garbage + garbage does not equal worthwhile. So trading Kaberle and Wallin will not get you Keith.

And before he makes the same proposal he always does, Garbage + garbage does not equal worthwhile. So trading Kaberle and Wallin will not get you Keith.

Exactly froggy!!

One of Cole, Whitney or Williams will not be here next season. Erik Cole makes the most sense to trade because he is up for a new contract at the same time as Staal and we do not have the money to keep both.

Ok, now I understand. Cole is both pathetic, and unaffordable 'cause he is so good.

I'm confused.

Ok, now I understand. Cole is both pathetic, and unaffordable 'cause he is so good.

I'm confused.

Have you looked at the money free agents are getting? Ryan Malone is rumored to be seeking $4-5M. Cole has a much better track record than Malone. We don't have the money to pay Staal $6-7M and then Cole $5M+.

I said Cole's production last season was pathetic, not that he was a pathetic player. He has the potential to bounce back and be a 70 point forward, which is why other teams want him.

The point i have been trying to make for so long...There is NOTHING that says you have to trade your "hottest commodity" We can get what we want with less.

This isn't NHL 08.

A team is NOT going to give us their top defenseman for trash. I can see it now:

JR: I want your top defenseman and I'll give you Kaberle

GM: done deal

Give me a break. If a GM is going to trade away their best defenseman, they are going to want a Cole or Williams. Must we break it down:

Walker - NTC (might get him to waive to Vancouver or Nashville)

Whitney - who wants an aging player who has issues with his groin

Williams - 25 years old, plays in all situations, signed to a nice contract

Cole - top 5 power forward in the league

Now the rumors of Cole for Pitkanen, I don't like. I'd much rather give Ruutu for Pitkanen. But if you want someone like a Ryan Suter or Kevin Beiksa, Cole or Williams are the ones to go. And when JR makes that decision, I'm sorry but its going to be Cole JR pushes on the other team unless JR 100% has an extension in place for Cole which has already been agreed upon. The ONLY thing I can see teams not wanting Cole is him becoming a Free Agent in 1 year. I'd assume most teams would want to work out an extension first.

Folks we need to face reality. No way can we afford both Staal and Cole. Maybe if this team had money to play up to the cap, but we have our own cap which is set at 5-6M below the league cap. We just can't afford it. We need to sell out that building everynight and get butts in the seats before we can afford those 2 players.

Have you looked at the money free agents are getting? Ryan Malone is rumored to be seeking $4-5M. Cole has a much better track record than Malone. We don't have the money to pay Staal $6-7M and then Cole $5M+.

I said Cole's production last season was pathetic, not that he was a pathetic player. He has the potential to bounce back and be a 70 point forward, which is why other teams want him.

Dude, it's cool. If you want to say in one breath that Cole had a pathetic season, and in the next breath say that he'll command first liner money next season, and put forth the theory that JR is going to be able to convince a GM to trade him a defenseman that is of equal value to a first line offensive player, when he has no proof that his pathetic seasons are just going to keep rolling on and on, you can be my guest. That's why opinions are so cool. They can neither be proven nor disproved.

I'll venture another opinion. The actual results will come from the following 3 choices, in order of likelyhood:

1) Cole will not be traded (Reason: JR can't get proper value for him)

2) Cole is traded for value perceived by the fanbase to be lower than his value, and outrage will ensue that he got fleeced, and a majority of the fanbase will be screaming for JR's head (Reason: He decides (quite logically) that he while he can't get his value, there is no way he is going to be able to sign him next season anyway, and he wants to get something for him)

3) Cole is traded for great value, and the fanbase rejoices in the greatness of JR (Reason: JR really is great, and he may be able to pull it off)

Choice 1 or 3 I don't mind, but I do understand and acknowledge that choice 2 is a real possibility, It does go against JR's ways to ever make a choice like choice 2 unless he believes he is being forced.

The gist of my point from the beginning is, it is TOUGH to trade a guy who is undervalued for value, it is that simple. If portions of the hockey world value Cole like folks are theorizing, then that is fine. Otherwise, we are going to get fleeced.

This isn't NHL 08.

Folks we need to face reality. No way can we afford both Staal and Cole. Maybe if this team had money to play up to the cap, but we have our own cap which is set at 5-6M below the league cap. We just can't afford it. We need to sell out that building everynight and get butts in the seats before we can afford those 2 players.

I think you have it right. Someone has to be trade bait and Cole, Whitney, and Williams are likely it. You could always offer up some of the prospects like Sutter, Bowman, or Borer for a bonafide d-men. It might come to that but JR will only do it if its the last resort.

Once you think about Staal's next contract, you have to contend with Ward's next contract. Those are the Canes' two most untouchables. Any contract you sign now, will have to be done with looking two to three years down the line.

To get what you want you have to give the other team something worthwhile, no one will trade their top pair defenseman for our garbage!! If you give less you get less!! Simple rule of business, you get what you pay for.

So your saying Whitney is garbage?