The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
StateColeFan

Erik Cole

How bout we let JR do his magic and see what happens. ;)

Or, we could continue to speculate, discuss, and argue what the Canes should be doing this offseason while JR is doing everything behind the scenes, seems that it would be more fun that way

Cole is not going to command 6-8 million...thats Hossa money, sorry, if he returns to his old form and stays healthy for an entire year and has that massive season...Cole will still only command 4-5 million, not that much. Please understand he is not a superstar to anyone else but us, the fans of the Carolina Hurricanes. Cole is not an idiot either, I assume he knows he will not be getting 6-8 million from anyone. If he loves playing here as much as he says he does, which i think is the case...he will take 4-4.5 million.

Cole is a Top 5 Power forward when healthy. He may not have the superstar name but he is top in the league for a power forward. This is why people are saying Cole can get us that defenseman we need, not 2 aging players. And being a Top power forward in this league Cole can command $6-7M on the open market and he will have a team pay him that. There aren't many power forwards that can do what Cole can do and have an impact on a team that he has. We will NOT beable to afford to keep Cole next season unless we sell out every game, increase our STH base and PK allows JR to spend to the Cap.

Whitney, Walker and a prospect could get us Beiska. I know it could.

Okay, countless people have given you countless reasons as to why this is not true. For some reason you insist it is. I have spent a lot of time to try to tell you why but still you can't see. I will give you the chance to change my opinion cause I can't change yours.

And also stop putting Cullen on the first line. I know you're a cullen fan, but he is the 2nd or 3rd line center depending on how brindy is.

And to JustJoe, yeah I know we rush guys, but why would you want to put an unproven rookie in our top 9? He has to start off on the 4th line until he earns his way higher in the lineup.

I have also noticed something else. Most of the people on here who are trying to justify keeping Cole around are people that have either Cole in their login name, Cole as their avatar, or a picture of Cole in their signature. Its blatantly obvious that for the most part, people are only thinking with their hearts and not their brains. I bet most of these people are also ones who blasted JR for the Stillman-Commodore for Corvo-Eaves trade last year, because of how likable Commodore and Stillman were. Sorry, hockey is a business and people have to accept the fact that their favorite players sometimes just aren't going to cut it anymore on this squad. I like Cole as much as the next guy, but I absolutely love competing and contending for the Cup, and without defensive help and depth for Ward, that just isn't going to happen. For long term growth of this franchise, one of these forwards have to go, and I'd much rather it be the guy who gets injured every year who's playing hurt 90% of the season and still making $4 million than it to be some aging veteran who we can use as a deadline deal come next March if we absolutely need to. Cole can get us something big now, Walker and/or Whitney can get us something big later. Perhaps this is the season where we see all of those things happen.

This is exactly the kind of post I find excessively irritating. There is no reason to call me out for having a Cole sig as if I cannot think objectively. One of the most irritating things is when someone speaks with an air of authority as if their opinion is fact and everyone else's is opinion. Lately, every time I see this done, it has not been surprising that I look to the left and see "WhateverItTakes".

I don't begrudge you your opinion, so I haven't even bothered to bring it up. However, you are calling us/me out, so let's go. In the same post I quote above. You stated that Cole WILL BE a UFA, and someone will pay him 6-8 million a year. Then, you point out that you want to trade him since you want to trade the guy who gets injured every year. So please explain to me how you can call everyone out for their biased and fan/blinded opinions, while your logic is just plain contradictory.

Which is it? Is he an injury-ridden loser or a 8 mil a year guy?

This is exactly the kind of post I find excessively irritating. There is no reason to call me out for having a Cole sig as if I cannot think objectively. One of the most irritating things is when someone speaks with an air of authority as if their opinion is fact and everyone else's is opinion. Lately, every time I see this done, it has not been surprising that I look to the left and see "WhateverItTakes".

I don't begrudge you your opinion, so I haven't even bothered to bring it up. However, you are calling us/me out, so let's go. In the same post I quote above. You stated that Cole WILL BE a UFA, and someone will pay him 6-8 million a year. Then, you point out that you want to trade him since you want to trade the guy who gets injured every year. So please explain to me how you can call everyone out for their biased and fan/blinded opinions, while your logic is just plain contradictory.

I wasn't naming names, I wasn't hinting at anyone in particular. In fact, I was just making an observation. There was no reason you should have gotten this completely bent out of shape and defensive over that post. That is, unless I described you perfectly, in which case, you just outed yourself.

Because his agent plays hardball and just because the Canes will stick to ~$4 million for him doesn't mean that someone else won't offer more. Just because you yourself don't think that he deserves $6-$8 million doesn't mean someone else won't.

1) His agent plays hardball? Cole signed a reasonable 3 year 12 million dollar contract. Is that really 'hardball'?

2) I'm not basing this on my opinion but on the behavior of the GM's who give out these contracts. Just look at the salaries wingers are getting. The guys getting 6 million a year almost all have scored 40 goals at some point in their career.

Cool down folks or we'll need to close the thread.

While some around here do think with their hearts, I think you'll find if take the time to read through past threads that MOST here understand that this is a business and decisions to move fan favorites may have to happen. Doesnt mean people are going to like it but most do understand it.

Calling out others for their opinions wont be tolerated. We're all just armchair GM's giving our own opinions and unless you have the inside track to some privileged info, what you post is just your opinion too.

Cole being a rare power forward in this league who has demonstrated that he can take over a game all by himself, can and will get $6-7 million on the open market. 29 GMs would love to have Cole on their team, injury prone or not. He is a rare commodity right now as there aren't many power forwards and he will likely be the only power forward hitting the Free Agent market in a year.

Okay, countless people have given you countless reasons as to why this is not true. For some reason you insist it is. I have spent a lot of time to try to tell you why but still you can't see. I will give you the chance to change my opinion cause I can't change yours.

And also stop putting Cullen on the first line. I know you're a cullen fan, but he is the 2nd or 3rd line center depending on how brindy is.

And to JustJoe, yeah I know we rush guys, but why would you want to put an unproven rookie in our top 9? He has to start off on the 4th line until he earns his way higher in the lineup.

Cullen and Staal play great together. With third line minutes Cullen put up 49 points, in 59 games. Also, I know every freaking person on here was obsessed with that Aucoin line this year...They were a hardworking, forechecking line. If you put Eaves-Ruutu-Walker/Sutter on the third line it really gives us a good checking energy line, something all teams need.

Why on earth would we put perhaps the most important person for our powerplay, a HUGE reason we won the cup, on a line that plays against checkers. One more knock to the head for Cullen and it might be over for him...If Cullen was on the top line where he needs to be he would have never been out there against Orr, Hollweg and Dawes.

I give up trying to explain why we need to do such moves I suggest...People really dont see the value in players like Ruutu, Cullen, and Cole. Yet you over value Walker, Whitney, Brindamour, and those defensemen we want to acquire.

Cullen and Staal play great together. With third line minutes Cullen put up 49 points, in 59 games. Also, I know every freaking person on here was obsessed with that Aucoin line this year...They were a hardworking, forechecking line. If you put Eaves-Ruutu-Walker/Sutter on the third line it really gives us a good checking energy line, something all teams need.

Well I wasn't obsessed with that line and my only problem is that I don't see how Cullen and Staal have had that much experience together that justifies them having good chemistry. I think Cullen needs to be the second line center.

Why on earth would we put perhaps the most important person for our powerplay, a HUGE reason we won the cup, on a line that plays against checkers. One more knock to the head for Cullen and it might be over for him...If Cullen was on the top line where he needs to be he would have never been out there against Orr, Hollweg and Dawes.

I think he should be on the second line, that line is not playing against checkers. And don't make excuses like that, he was out there with Stillman, not a third liner, and you can make excuses like that all day. We shouldn't of traded for him, then he wouldn't have gotten injured.

I give up trying to explain why we need to do such moves I suggest...People really dont see the value in players like Ruutu, Cullen, and Cole. Yet you over value Walker, Whitney, Brindamour, and those defensemen we want to acquire.

What are you talking about? It's the complete opposite. I would love for Cole to stay, him and Cam are my favorite players, but I DO see the value in him so I know that he could get us a nice return in a defenseman. I see the value of Ruutu, I want him on the second line. I also want Cullen on the second line, I'm a big fan of his, I debated between him and Cole for who to get on my jersey. I do not over value whitney and walker, I'm saying that they won't get us the defenseman we want, that would be "undervaluing" if anything. And how can you over value Brind'amour??

And I just want to know how your so certain that whitney and walker will get us the defenseman we want. I took 15 minutes out of my day to post a detailed response as to why I think they won't, but you said that you still know they could get us a top defenseman. You still haven't explained how they will. Will you please explain why you're so certain they will get us a top defenseman?

I'm sorry, did you just say "over value Brindamour"? That's not possible, I'm afraid.

If Cullen plays on the top line (That'll never happen, just so you know), he'll play more minutes, meaning he's on the ice for a longer time, meaning he's more likely to get injured. So, we'll want Cullen to play 3rd line minutes, because not only does it mean less chance of injury for him, it also means that because of the less ice time he gets on the 3rd line, he'll be more rested and prepared to do what he does on the powerplay.

Yeah, it's messed up logic, but I'm working with what you gave me.

Get over yourself if you think Erik Cole is going to make 6-7 million per on the open market.

Each NHL team is a buisness. GM`s arent stupid.

Where did I say that he would make 6 to 7 mil on the open market? I didn't say anything like that. I said earlier in this thread that the canes are a business, I know that already. And I do know that GM's aren't stupid, I've been trying to prove that to you for a long time now, that's why they won't take old players for young players.

I'll ask again, why are you so sure that Whitney and Walker could get us Bieska? I just want to know why you're so sure, that's all.

Whitney is a proven point per game player. Cole has done that once. Walker is the kind of guy everyone needs, he gives it his all every night, never taking a shift off. You cant count on Cole, but you can count on Whitney and Walker. Young teams, like Chicago, would want those guys more than they would Cole. Very good players who become UFA`s the next season go for nothing in trades. Brad Stuart went for a 2nd round pick.

Chicago would do a Whitney-Walker for Barker trade. The only team that really wants Cole would be Vancouver, and i dont see Beiska as realiable enough to give Cole up for.

Im not trying to pick apart anyone else`s opinion. As for the fan favorite thing, I would love to see a Whitney-Cullen-Samsonov line or to see Scotty Walker just destroy someone in a fight. But I also want this team to win.

So wait...you're saying young teams would pass on the young player (Cole) and instead opt for the older pair (Walker/Whitney).

And for the uptenth time, Walker's got a NTC. Nashville would be the only place he'd waive it for.

Ive heard he would waive it to go to Vancouver.

Link? Source? Anything?

So far, you're acting like the deals your proposing would happen no matter what ("Chicago would do a Whitney-Walker for Barker trade.") with no source to back it up.

Though, I'm sure Chicago would do that trade, since Barker's worth a lot less than those two. He's also completely useless to us.

Whitney is a proven point per game player. Cole has done that once. Walker is the kind of guy everyone needs, he gives it his all every night, never taking a shift off. You cant count on Cole, but you can count on Whitney and Walker. Young teams, like Chicago, would want those guys more than they would Cole. Very good players who become UFA`s the next season go for nothing in trades. Brad Stuart went for a 2nd round pick.

Chicago would do a Whitney-Walker for Barker trade. The only team that really wants Cole would be Vancouver, and i dont see Beiska as realiable enough to give Cole up for.

Im not trying to pick apart anyone else`s opinion. As for the fan favorite thing, I would love to see a Whitney-Cullen-Samsonov line or to see Scotty Walker just destroy someone in a fight. But I also want this team to win.

Which is why if you want whats best for the team, you keep whitney and walker. You can't deny that teams would rather have Cole. And thats just better for us if they take him instead of those two right? By you logic it is, and I agree with you.

We do not want to trade those two to chicago for barker, barker is corvo at best. And as you said, whitney and walker are very valuable to this team, much more than Barker would be. Cole would be wanted by quite a few teams around the league.

And if you want what's best for the team stop putting cullen on the first line. You can't put him above staal, maybe brindy depending on his play, but not staal.

This just in from NHL08...Tune in later for more updates...

Post of the week.

Get over yourself if you think Erik Cole is going to make 6-7 million per on the open market.

Each NHL team is a buisness. GM`s arent stupid.

Yes, because all the GM's out there are going to bid the exact same amount for Erik Cole and they'll just play the nice, kind waiting game as he makes his decision about where to go.

No, its completely out of the line of reason that some team will offer him some contract that is on average about $1 million or so more than what he's worth just to have a player to build around. I mean, those things like that never happen where another team comes in and offers one of our players a dollar amount he's not worth and we have to let him walk away and get nothing in return. No, those things never happen... Aaron Ward... Matt Cullen... So yeah, you're right, the NHL is a business, and that is how a business works.

You're right, GM's aren't stupid, they're not going to play the waiting game. This isn't NHL 08 where you can make your offer and if the price is right, you get the guy. Sorry, other teams get to put offers out there as well. Last year you had a Thomas Vanek sign a deal in Buffalo that pays him on average $7.1 million per season over 7 years. Just to compare the two, Vanek has amassed 198 points over his first 3 years in the league with 245 games played for an average of .808 points per game, Cole has amassed 171 points over 204 games played for an average of .838 points per game over that same length. If you honestly believe that he's going to get a deal that doesn't pay him comparable to Vanek, you're out of your mind, yet, this is something that the Canes simply cannot afford to do, certainly not on the 2nd or 3rd best forward on the team.

So please, enlighten us, with all of this in mind, how Cole will not be able to see the 6-7 million we're talking about on here, because as I see it, there are already players out there with contract exceeding that range that have less impressive stats than he does over the same time period. So please, enlighten us.

Cole is 29 and Vanek is 24 years-old. Sabres just lost Briere and Drury. They were probably going to overpay to keep Vanek on the team.

Some stupid GM will pay $6 million for Cole but he's not worth more than $4.5 million. He's only had one 30+ goal season. Someone said he was a game breaker --- um, no, he is not a game breaker. Eric Staal is a game breaker. Iginla, Ovechkin, Malkin, and Sakic are game breakers. Even Thornton and Gaborik are much more of game breaker than Cole. All these players are or already earning $6 million and worth every penny of it. Cole is a good player; he's just not in their class.

Cole will get his money. I am not worried about him.

Last year you had a Thomas Vanek sign a deal in Buffalo that pays him on average $7.1 million per season over 7 years. Just to compare the two, Vanek has amassed 198 points over his first 3 years in the league with 245 games played for an average of .808 points per game, Cole has amassed 171 points over 204 games played for an average of .838 points per game over that same length. If you honestly believe that he's going to get a deal that doesn't pay him comparable to Vanek, you're out of your mind, yet, this is something that the Canes simply cannot afford to do, certainly not on the 2nd or 3rd best forward on the team.

So please, enlighten us, with all of this in mind, how Cole will not be able to see the 6-7 million we're talking about on here, because as I see it, there are already players out there with contract exceeding that range that have less impressive stats than he does over the same time period. So please, enlighten us.

The Vanek contract was roundly criticized around the league as overpayment. Buffalo felt compelled to do it since they lost 2 of their big 3 and figured that the fans would run them out of town if they lost their 3rd. Not a very good example, IMHO.