The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
old-time-hockey-2

Hurricanes Look To Be Busy This Week

Question is where does JR draw the line when he says that we will not go after the "big money guys". What is big money? > 2 million?

greater than 3 mil? Does this mean Pitkanen is a "big money" guy? Or if we trade for him does the money matter?

Raises a lot of questions and makes the next couple days fascinating. I can't wait.

"We're going to make some changes on Tuesday through free agency and also maybe make a trade."

"We might have two or three new defensemen by Wednesday."

OMG I feel like a kid on Christmas eve! Wonder what he has in mind. Some things we do know from the interview though:

1. He wants younger defensemen

2. NOT big dollar/big name guys.

So who could this be?.... I'm going to search the internet!

I'm not counting my chickens before they hatch. Rutherford's got a tight wallet, and a sharp mind. If he feels he's being ripped off, even the slightest bit, he'll pass altogether.

I'm kinda hoping for a signing of Vandermeer, a trade for one of Pitkanen, Bieksa, or Hamhuis, the re-signing of Seidenberg, the signing of Stephane Yelle or Patrick Rissmiller, and the signing of Hordichuk or Jody Shelley.

Now how many of those actually happen remains to be seen... <_<

If you watch the full video he says Bayda wants a 1 way contract but they only want to offer him a 2 way deal... Would love to see him back if we have a spot for him!

Here's the link to the 9:38 video interview. Well worth watching. The reporter did a great job with questions. JR Makes good statements and answers many of our questions. Talks about Lavi and Tanabe too.

http://www.wral.com/sports/video/3129517/''>http://www.wral.com/sports/video/3129517/' target="_blank">http://www.wral.com/sports/video/3129517/[/post]

He said "not top money guys" and "like Hedican and Wesley but a little younger, not 20-year olds"

I read this to mean we'll be going after maybe 28-32yo defensive guys who aren't making a ton of dough... who is on that list in the UFA and RFA space?

Kalinin? Hainsey? Lilja? Pitkanen? Brendan Bell? Mike Green?

Pitkanen too young? Green too expensive? Bell - who's he?

"We're going to make some changes on Tuesday through free agency and also maybe make a trade."

"We might have two or three new defensemen by Wednesday."

OMG I feel like a kid on Christmas eve! Wonder what he has in mind. Some things we do know from the interview though:

1. He wants younger defensemen

2. NOT big dollar/big name guys.

So who could this be?.... I'm going to search the internet!

I took it that he wants 24-26 year olds for young defenseman on this team. He talked about this was the age they were coming into their own and had a little NHL expierence but enough to be what we need. Of course he's like every GM out there, they want puck moving defenseman that can score-duh don't they all.

I personally would love to have a guy like Mike Green.

Im pretty sure hes going to be expensive and with him being in the division, that is about as dead in the water as you can get.

Wouldve been nice to see some kind of deal worked out with Liles and a package deal with Scott Parker but thats neither here or there.

Why not bring a guy like Orpik? Hes always been a tough guy and brings the grit.

Plus we can get him off a strong Penguins team in the conference, that I personally think wont be as strong considering the move arounds (ex, Malone)..

Yeah the Erik Cole thing but he would be a guy to look at.

Unsure from a character standpoint with our guys in the locker room.

Just a thought!

He said "not top money guys" and "like Hedican and Wesley but a little younger, not 20-year olds"

I read this to mean we'll be going after maybe 28-32yo defensive guys who aren't making a ton of dough... who is on that list in the UFA and RFA space?

Kalinin? Hainsey? Lilja? Pitkanen? Brendan Bell? Mike Green?

Pitkanen too young? Green too expensive? Bell - who's he?

A name to keep in mind would be Steve McCarthy as he fits about every characteristic that Rutherford wants.

Isn't he kinda like Tanabe in that he never realized his offensive potential and isn't the strongest defensive player?

*sarcasm alert*

Oh, I get what you're getting at... :lol:

Isn't he kinda like Tanabe in that he never realized his offensive potential and isn't the strongest defensive player?

*sarcasm alert*

Oh, I get what you're getting at... :lol:

...and McCarthy can't stay healthy. I'm surprised Rutherford hasn't already tried to acquire him.

I'm kinda hoping for a signing of Vandermeer, a trade for one of Pitkanen, Bieksa, or Hamhuis, the re-signing of Seidenberg, the signing of Stephane Yelle or Patrick Rissmiller, and the signing of Hordichuk or Jody Shelley.

Now how many of those actually happen remains to be seen... <_<

Well Hordichuk apparently didn't even negotiate with JR and Shelly just got re-signed by the sharks.

Well Hordichuk apparently didn't even negotiate with JR and Shelly just got re-signed by the sharks.

Yeah, I just noticed that last one, much to my chagrin.

Another possibility on defense might be Rhett Warrener. He just got waived by Calgary. I know that doesn't sound too attractive, but he'll come cheap and he's really a pretty good stay-at-home guy.

I want Brad Stuart, that would be my ideal choice, but I don't know if that'll be out of JR's price range. Pitkanen is reportedly seeking $5 mill per season, and he's not worth it.

Some guys I've looked at that "kinda" meet what JR said he was looking for.

Marek Malik 32 NYR $2,500,000

Michal Rozsival 28 NYR $2,300,000

Dmitri Kalinin 26 BUF $2,250,000

Paul Mara 27 NYR $3,000,000

Andrei Zyuzin 29 CHI $1,475,000

Karel Rachunek 27 NJD $1,400,000

Mike Commodore 27 OTT $1,300,000 (PLEASE GOD NO!)

Jim Vandermeer 27 CAL $1,225,000 (Been an underachiever thus far in his NHL career if you ask me)

Andreas Lilja 31 DET $1,000,000

Branislav Mezei 26 FLA $850,000

The second guy I'd look at if I were JR...

Mark Streit 29 MTL $600,000

I could definitely see Vandermeer in a Hurricanes' jersey by this time tomorrow. He is already a physical presence on the blue-line and there is still enough offensive potential there to take a look at.

Nah, Stuart is too expensive and wants to play in the western conference. I'd think JR goes after Hainsey/Kalinin/Commodore to see the price they want and if in his range get a deal done with them.

EDIT: I would love Streit, but he'll probably go very fast around 3.5 a year, and I think that's a little too expensive for what JR is looking at.