The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  

Losing Cole

I know we needed some new blood on the blueline, but I'm really gonna miss Erik Cole. He's always been a fun guy to talk to, he's been personable and a class act for the city of Raleigh. I wonder if he's planning on continuing to keep his house here like so many have.

I've got mixed feelings about this trade. True that he wasn't consistent last season and there's always going to be the concern about his neck, but I hate to let that much talent and potential get away. But that's the caliber of player you have to offer up if you're going to get someone decent to beef up other areas.

I am very sad to see him go. Love his speed - the guy is lightning on skates.

Best of luck to him and his family.

Yesterday XM204 did an interview with him, they announced him as "Erik Cole of the Edmonton Oilers". That just sounds so wrong. :(

as much as ive been raving about this trade on the other thread and how good of a hockey trade it was...its gonna suck sans erik cole. he was a great guy in the locker room and always funny in interviews. he'll always be welcomed back in nc.

This has been a heart wrencing 2 day's for me. He was and will always be my favorite player and I wish Erik and Emily the best in Edmonton. I'll have to watch all the Oilers games on Center Ice now. As you've all said, he is a class act guy on and off the ice and they don't come much better than him. He'll be dearly missed. I'll still proudly wear my Cole jersey every game that I'm at.

Oiler fans are lucky, they got a good one headed their way.

Plenty of good memories here to dwell on...to me he'll always be a Hurricane. It wouldn't surprise me to see him tear it up this year, and I hope he does, and then gets the big $ after that. Best of luck to him.

Nice to see some good wishes here. I honestly expected to come to this board and see a party thread celebrating his exit from Raleigh.

Erik Cole has been my favorite player since I got into hockey. I am very disappointed in him leaving, but I am excited as well, because this might be just what Cole needs. I would love him to break his own records. The slim possibility is also there where he can be brought back after this coming season (UFA). That is if Edmonton doesn't slap a contract extension around, which they might. I hope Edmonton puts him to good use.

Nice to see some good wishes here. I honestly expected to come to this board and see a party thread celebrating his exit from Raleigh.

Really? lol... I've always felt that the majority of Caniacs loved Cole for years. He will be sorely missed.

No one said they didnt like Cole they said he was a UFA and injury prone and hed be the best to be moved, however people take that as hatred :rolleyes:

For everybody that keeps saying he has so much potential.

He's over 30, he's in his prime. His potential days are over. If he hasn't reached his full potential now, he never will.

For everybody that keeps saying he has so much potential.

He's over 30, he's in his prime. His potential days are over. If he hasn't reached his full potential now, he never will.

he's not even 30..

He'll be 30 in November.

The Great Dean Smith always felt an athlete hit his peak at age 28. With modern fitness and training, I'm thinking you could add a couple of years. At best, Cole is probably half way through his career.

Per usual, Good 'Ol JR traded for a younger player, that is several years away from his peak. I hope it's a good move. I am worried that after checking several Canadian sites, and I haven't read many comments from pissed off Oilers fans. They seem to be ok with the move.

Question. Do we still boo Orpik every time he touches the puck? My vote is yes.

I don't think so now that Cole isn't even in the same conference it doesn't even matter at all. I'm sure Orpik is tired of it. But maybe if he hurts one of our other players and threatens a injury to almost end his career then why not a good reason to still boo him. But for now I don't think so.

Cole is, and has always been my favorite Hurricane....and in my heart will still be. I'll have to watch Edmonton now myself! The worst part for me is that now we will never have Cole in the lithograph series.....which was the very one I was anticipating the most :(

Two days removed from the trade and I'm still not over it :(

Started the Canes in 2001-02. Erik Cole started his rookie year there. I immediatly got attached to Cole. His speed and fiesty attitude out on the ice drew my attention to him. Cole and I started the Canes together and it will be so hard staying with the Canes as he moves on.

I am for the trade b/c I want our team to make the playoffs. Can one guy named Joni Pitkanen get us back to the playoffs, likely not, but neither could Cole. Point is our defense was horrid and it needed to be fixed. Pitkanen has question marks, but his potential outweighs those question marks IMHO. This team has to make the playoffs, and in order to make the playoffs, the defense needed a change. After missing the playoffs the last 2 years and being the ONLY team to miss the playoffs 2 years after winning the cup, JR had to make a gamble and unfortunetly that gamble came at the cost of Erik Cole.

I wish Cole the best of luck in Edmonton and wherever his career takes him. He will always have a place here in Caniac Land and in my eyes and heart, he will forever be a Carolina Hurricane.

This has been a heart wrencing 2 day's for me. He was and will always be my favorite player and I wish Erik and Emily the best in Edmonton. I'll have to watch all the Oilers games on Center Ice now. As you've all said, he is a class act guy on and off the ice and they don't come much better than him. He'll be dearly missed. I'll still proudly wear my Cole jersey every game that I'm at.

Thats what I was telling my wife a couple days ago,after the Canes game I can watch the Oilers game right after its like a double header for me now......