The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Sidney_Fisher

Depth Chart current lines

Why does the depth chart have Corvo at left defense? He's a right handed shot and I'd be shocked if he didn't play the right side.

J.R also stated that Pitkanen will likely be playing with Gleason in the press conference and Corvo likes playing with another offensive minded defenceman.. I don't see these lines being used at the beginning of the season.

The current lines are listed as

Whitney-Staal-Williams

Samsonov-Brindy-Eaves

Ruutu-Cullen-Walker

Brookbank-Sutter-Bayda

Chad on the outside looking in as the 13th forward.

Corvo-Gleason

Pitkanen-Babchuk

Kaberle-Wallin

and then on the outside

Seidenberg-Melichar

And of course

Ward

Leighton

Looks good to me!

If we're paying Melichar $1mill fora 1 year deal, I would rather use him. D should be IMO:

Gleason/Pitkanen

Kaberle/Corvo

Melichar/Babchuk

and dress a 7th Dman, which would be Borer.

Or Gleason/Pitkanen

Melichar/Corvo

Babchuk/Borer

With Wallin or Kabs as 7th D

If we're paying Melichar $1mill fora 1 year deal, I would rather use him. D should be IMO:

Gleason/Pitkanen

Kaberle/Corvo

Melichar/Babchuk

and dress a 7th Dman, which would be Borer.

Or Gleason/Pitkanen

Melichar/Corvo

Babchuk/Borer

With Wallin or Kabs as 7th D

Seidenberg deserves a spot more so than Wallin or Kabs. Regardless though, our team is vastly different than last season. Should be interesting. Hopefully its a step up from what we had previously.

I seriously doubt that these will end up being the lines used. I like Sutter, but I don't want to rush him up to the NHL like we did with Ladd. I would rather see him develop more in Albany, and sign back Chad to be on the 4th line.

Borer deserves a spot on this team in my opinion. I really liked Seidenberg, but there isn't much of a space for him now and that ankle injury really set him back last year. I also think Kaberle really improved last year when he was playing with Corvo, but we already have 2 offensive defensemen and I don't see where he would fit. Also he could go back to just doing nothing like he was for most of last season. Wallin is someone who really confuses me. He was never a top notch defenseman, but he was always a solid cog on the blueline, but like so many of our blueliners, after the Cup win he's really gone down hill. I want to see Gleason, Corvo, Melichar, Pitkanen, Babchuk (I'm not too keen on him, but he seems to have gotten straightened out in Russia), Wallin/Kaberle, with Borer as the extra.

I seriously doubt that these will end up being the lines used. I like Sutter, but I don't want to rush him up to the NHL like we did with Ladd. I would rather see him develop more in Albany, and sign back Chad to be on the 4th line.

Borer deserves a spot on this team in my opinion. I really liked Seidenberg, but there isn't much of a space for him now and that ankle injury really set him back last year. I also think Kaberle really improved last year when he was playing with Corvo, but we already have 2 offensive defensemen and I don't see where he would fit. Also he could go back to just doing nothing like he was for most of last season. Wallin is someone who really confuses me. He was never a top notch defenseman, but he was always a solid cog on the blueline, but like so many of our blueliners, after the Cup win he's really gone down hill. I want to see Gleason, Corvo, Melichar, Pitkanen, Babchuk (I'm not too keen on him, but he seems to have gotten straightened out in Russia), Wallin/Kaberle, with Borer as the extra.

Sutter will not be playing in Albany, he is too young...

And why would you have Borer make this team to sit in the press box? He's still young and needs to develop and not being in the lineup every day will not help him. He's starting here or starting in Albany.

Here's my question. Does anybody know if Melichar is any good? In this day and age $1million is pretty low. You don't necessarily always get what you pay for, but this is basically Tanabe money.

JR talks like Melichar is our "shut down" defenseman. I must say, the $$ suggests a 5-6 guy. I was kind of hoping for one more really solid proven NHL guy to go in the #4 slot. Is this the guy? Or could we be going for one more? With Babchuk, Wallin, Kaberle, Gleason, Pitkanen, Corvo, and possibly Borer or Seidenberg, we have enough bodies, but Babs, Wallin, Kaberle, Borer and Seidenberg are all guys that could I would prefer to fight for those last two spots.

I guess I would like to know that Melichar is going to be solid up there in the 3-4 pairing. Just don't know the guy.

I guess JR is done with the defense?

I wouldn't sketch that line up in stone just yet. JR has said that Ruutu will get the chance to take Cole's place and Gleason/Pitkanen will be the top pairing guys. Also remember when Eaves was signed JR said Eaves fits in the Top 9, he didn't say Top 6. With the current roster we have now, I'd guess they'll start with:

Whitney-Staal-Ruutu

Samsonov-Brind'Amour-Williams

Eaves-Cullen-Walker

Bayda-Sutter-Brookbank

LaRose

Gleason-Pitkanen

Corvo-Kaberle

Wallin-Babchuk

Melicar

Seidenberg

Ward

Leighton

*Since Rosie is without a contract I left him as the 13th forward. If he signs, then I'd say Bayda and Brookbank rotate in and out. Brookbank plays when we play the Rangers, Devils, etc.

*I left Seidenberg far down b/c he is also without a contract.

*I put Kaberle with Corvo b/c those two had chemistry last year and Corvo says he likes playing with another offensive-defenseman.

So I take it that the Canes have no plans at re-signing Aucoin?

No, it seems as Aucoin will be an odd man out. We want a big 4th line for the most part and I guess JR doesn't feel he wants to stop Aucoin from trying to see if he can get an NHL contract elsewhere.

These lines are not set in stone and will change from game to game and even shift to shift. I wouldn't read too much into this.

Yeah, but this just give you an outlook on where everyone fits on the team, the top 6/9 and the 4th line etc.

I wouldn't sketch that line up in stone just yet. JR has said that Ruutu will get the chance to take Cole's place and Gleason/Pitkanen will be the top pairing guys. Also remember when Eaves was signed JR said Eaves fits in the Top 9, he didn't say Top 6. With the current roster we have now, I'd guess they'll start with:

Whitney-Staal-Ruutu

Eaves-Cullen-Walker

Bayda-Sutter-Brookbank

LaRose

Gleason-Pitkanen

Corvo-Kaberle

Wallin-Babchuk

Melicar

Seidenberg

Ward

Leighton

*Since Rosie is without a contract I left him as the 13th forward. If he signs, then I'd say Bayda and Brookbank rotate in and out. Brookbank plays when we play the Rangers, Devils, etc.

*I put Kaberle with Corvo b/c those two had chemistry last year and Corvo says he likes playing with another offensive-defenseman.

Honestly, I think Bayda should be an every day player.

I never really liked Staal and Whitney as combo last season....I'd try Staal-Ruutu and someone else, either Eave sor walker.

Whitney plays his best with Rod or Matt.

Defense is a bit more trickier, cause I'm gonna assume Babchuk and Melichar still need to earn a spot on the starting roster during training camp. Although people would like to see kaberle or Wallin possibly as a 7th defenseman, i just can't imagine it happening.

Defense is a bit more trickier, cause I'm gonna assume Babchuk and Melichar still need to earn a spot on the starting roster during training camp. Although people would like to see kaberle or Wallin possibly as a 7th defenseman, i just can't imagine it happening.

I agree; depending on our final roster at the start of training camp, I could see the final one or two spots on D coming down to training camp and pre-season performances. I could be wrong though :blink:

Whitney-Staal-Ruutu

Eaves-Cullen-Walker

Bayda-Sutter-Brookbank

LaRose

Gleason-Pitkanen

Corvo-Kaberle

Wallin-Babchuk

Melicar

Seidenberg

Ward

Leighton

I'm sure that the forward lines will switch up a bit early and during the season. The defense is still somewhat of a mystery to me. Corvo, Pitkanen, and Gleason are clearly the top 3. But it all gets a little fuzzy after that. Lots of guys who might play. I would still like to see one more solid proven veteran to be #4, dump Kaberle's salary, and let the rest fight it out for the last two spots.

I guess no one really knows much about Melicar.

Honestly, I think Bayda should be an every day player.

I would play both LaRose and Sutter before him, and what I think colseylarosefan meant is that Bayda would be the regular starter while Brookbank would come in and play when we need an enforcer. an example is when we play the rangers, you can bet brookbank will be playing, if not conboy as well.

Here's how I would look at it for next year.

Whitney-Staal-Williams

Samsonov-Brind'Amour-Ruutu

Eaves-Cullen-Walker

LaRose-Sutter-Bayda

Brookbank

Gleason-Pitkanen

Corvo-Wallin

Kaberlee Babchuk

Melicar

I'd just switch out Bayda and Brookbank for injuries if one of them got hurt etc for the 4th line.