The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
cane-addict-1

Who is the mystery defenseman?

I believe JustJoe said Josef Melichar fits that description.

I still hope that it is a certain man named Jeff Vandermeer.

Off-topic, I also wouldn't mind JR signing Chris Gratton to center our fourth line. He's a big center who fights. Sounds ideal.

Sounds like if this deal goes through, things could be looking good for us. We will have achieved most of the goals we set out to achieve this off-season. We got younger with Bayda, Brookbank, Babs, Pitkanen (assuming he signs), resigning Gleason. We have a backup goalie with potential. We got tougher (Ruutu, Brookbank, Conboy, Gleason resigning). We overhauled our defense... if we get a true shutdown defensive player, I think we will be looking good. That is, if Tampa bay doesn't continue to suck up all the talent left in the NHL.

I believe JustJoe said Josef Melichar fits that description.

I still hope that it is a certain man named Jeff Vandermeer.

Off-topic, I also wouldn't mind JR signing Chris Gratton to center our fourth line. He's a big center who fights. Sounds ideal.

if you mean Jim Vandermeer then i deffinately think he's what we need.. i'd love for either him or Jason Smith to sign here..

if you mean Jim Vandermeer then i deffinately think he's what we need.. i'd love for either him or Jason Smith to sign here..

Oh junk, I've been calling him Jeff all day.

MUST RESIST URGE TO GO BACK AND EDIT POSTS.

But yeah, I'd love him. Also, Ossi Vaananen just got signed by the flyers. He fits the description of who JR was talking to.

Oh junk, I've been calling him Jeff all day.

MUST RESIST URGE TO GO BACK AND EDIT POSTS.

But yeah, I'd love him. Also, Ossi Vaananen just got signed by the flyers. He fits the description of who JR was talking to.

Hope this doesn't mean we will be without a shutdown dman.

Heres all the free agent D

Joe DiPenta

Maxim Kondratiev

Jay Leach

Steve McCarthy

Dmitri Kalinin

Teppo Numminen

Nolan Pratt

Jim Vandermeer

Andrei Zyuzin

Chris Chelios

Allan Rourke

Jassen Cullimore

Rob Blake

Jon Klemm

Keith Carney

Sean Hill

Patrice Brisebois

Mark Streit

Bryan Berard

Paul Mara

Michal Rozsival

Jaroslav Modry

Jason Smith

to name most...

yeah...a mystery Dman...but also...he mentioned after that...that other moves would be made...

JR stated in his 99.9 interview today (if you didn't catch it today, I recommend DLing it) he is after another Dman, a "shutdown" guy. We know he played in the NHL 2 years ago, and this past season was in Europe... Who could this be?! They obviously aren't going to be an expensive player because we cannot afford that....JR sounded optimistic about getting the deal done and said that if it goes through, we will end up getting rid of some defense. This would have to mean Kabs/Wallin? Wallin has a no trade contract. Could we be buying one of them out? OR is there some other type of trade involved? If you look at our 4th line its full - Brookbank, Sutter, Bayda. JR talked as if he is still trying to sign Larose. Possibly give up a 4th liner to entice someone to take Kabs? Long shot I know but I'm just throwing out stuff here.

yeah...a mystery Dman...but also...he mentioned after that...that other moves would be made...

Hopefully the other moves involve giving Kaberle the boot.

Personally I like the Idea of Jason Smith.

well JR said that he didn't play in the NHL last year... right..?

looking at NHL.com these guys didn't play last year

Eric Cairns, Jim Fahey, Brad Ference, Martin Grenier, Jay Harrison, Jamie Heward, Timo Helbing, Lars Jonsson, Darius Kaspiraitus, Mikko Lehtonen, Tomas Malec, Danny Markov, Richard Matvichuk, Josef Melichar, Ian Moran, Janne Niinimaa, Jason York..

that's all i feel like looking through.. lol

Wait, Kab for Jason Smith? LOL! That would be the day, a Stanely Cup win in itself.

But yeah, I listened to the radio interview and says that this guy we are going after is a defensive defensemen, hasnt played in the NHL for 2 years, been in europe, from what ive heard.

Wait, Kab for Jason Smith? LOL! That would be the day, a Stanely Cup win in itself.

But yeah, I listened to the radio interview and says that this guy we are going after is a defensive defensemen, hasnt played in the NHL for 2 years, been in europe, from what ive heard.

what about that Johnsen (sp?) guy? i think it was Ken? or Kim?

No, he is a C I believe, if were talking about the same person.

Anyways, ive done some research, heres the possibilitys I can come up with...

Oleg Tverdovsky (double dipping?)

Jamie Heward

So far, both D, went to Europe two years ago.

Oh and my mistake, JR said he hasnt played in the NHL for a year, so his last season was 06-07, again, those two are what ive found.

We can't get a UFA?????

Hello!! Tampa and Washington are stocking up.....we are fighting with Florida for last place this season.