The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
IceFrog999

Babchuk to return

I don't mind this at all. He may be a bit of a pain in the hiney with his attitude but the guys a beast. He's got a great slap shot, can play the body, can block shots, and skates well for a big guy. Let's hope he improved his positioning because that was his only problem (and it was a big one).

Apparently he has really improved, he's hitting hard and is blocking shots like he did with us. He had 24 points in 50 games, thats good for a defenseman.

i think this is a good movie. i think babchuk was top 6 talent when he was here in 06, and i thought he shouldve filled in aaron ward's place the next year. the attitude issues clearly have been dealt with for JR to bring him back, so im officially excited.

Actually, with our current situation, this is a very good move. I'm sure that they will structure his contract in such a way that we can send him packing if he does not work out. The guy can play, he's just had himself a real serious case of over self worth. Let's see what happens.

I know it's been commented on before but he has one heavy shot, not to mention that little deke he had against Atlanta in OT to win the game, seems like that was ages ago. Anyway I remember Tripp was talking about Babchuk's shot one telecast and how he, Tripp, was practicing with the team during the olympic break. He was in goal and Babchuk took a shot that hit him in the chest and he said it felt like it almost made his heart stop it was so hard. Oh well, I'd def. like to see him back I think he has some talent and he could help out with our D situation on the cheap.

Eh, this is the NHL not Russia. Hedican was +16 and everybody said he was washed up and needed to go. We would be better off with Hedican back.

No,

Thanks for the contribution Brent...have a good life out West.

No,

Thanks for the contribution Brent...have a good life out West.

agreed...health is a major issue for bret and, despite his continued quality, its time to move on.

I'd say there's almost no way we are getting rid of Kaberle... didn't he just have another shoulder surgery? If so, I hope it'll bring him back to his prime. Unfortunately, I think defense is going to continue to be a problem for this team. I hope JR proves me wrong tomorrow, and if he does, I will gladly recant my remarks.

Kaberle never had a prime. Whenever and however we get rid of him, we'll immediately have a better team in my opinion. Unfortunately not meany teams have a need for a lackadasical D-man that has no enthusiam, can't control the point, won't hit, can't dig the puck out of a scrum on the wall, and can't make a decent long distance outlet pass occasionally. Maybe if we threw in Stormy.....

I'd love to see Babchuk back with an improved attitude. The boyhas an awesomely hard shot and I thought his defense was getting better the more time he got. Kaberle got worse the more time he got.

Basically our only options would be to add Kaberle on to a trade, or buy him out. If we buy out Kaberle, we owe him roughly 1.4 mil for the next two years. That is not worth it, and JR won't be doing that cause today was the last day to buyout contracts. He did pick it up after playing with Corvo, so I wouldn't mind him as a 7th defenseman. He had 22 points, so he does help a little there. Wallin is even worse, but we are stuck with him too. He has a NTC, won't wave it and also won't be bought out. So at best we put kaberle in a trade and keep Wallin as the 7th defenseman. I don't think we'll get rid of either, so I'd bet one of them will be in the top 6 unless we add more than 3 defenseman tomorrow. If we could get rid of one, then we could have something like this:

Gleason-Trade

Corvo-FA

Seidenberg-Babchuk

Wallin/Kaberle (7th)

I think that'd be pretty good.

so is this the official reason why we play "I want you to go to the window, open it, stick your head out and yell: I'm as mad as hell, and I'm not going to take this anymore." at our games now?

It won't be horrible having Babchuk back as he should be cheap. He'll help with blocking shots and throw some hits, but that will cause him to be out of position some as well. If his shot has gotten more accurate that'll be nice, but I'm not holding out much hope for that. This isn't a move that will put us in the playoffs, but it won't hurt us either.

Basically our only options would be to add Kaberle on to a trade, or buy him out. If we buy out Kaberle, we owe him roughly 1.4 mil for the next two years. That is not worth it, and JR won't be doing that cause today was the last day to buyout contracts. He did pick it up after playing with Corvo, so I wouldn't mind him as a 7th defenseman. He had 22 points, so he does help a little there. Wallin is even worse, but we are stuck with him too. He has a NTC, won't wave it and also won't be bought out. So at best we put kaberle in a trade and keep Wallin as the 7th defenseman. I don't think we'll get rid of either, so I'd bet one of them will be in the top 6 unless we add more than 3 defenseman tomorrow. If we could get rid of one, then we could have something like this:

Gleason-Trade

Corvo-FA

Seidenberg-Babchuk

Wallin/Kaberle (7th)

I think that'd be pretty good.

That line up could be promising. JR did say we could have 2-3 new defensemen tomorrow... But don't forget about Borer. I'd love to see him up here some this season. Not sure if we'll see him as a full-time guy, at least not yet.

PS. I Remember reading about Wallin knocking someone completely unconscious in the corner during the World Cup or whatever its called... not that I condone injuring a player, but that type of grit is something I am hoping (but not holding my breathe for) to see from him this season.

I think we should give him the chance at least. Not my favorite player by any means, but everyone deserves a chance before they're doused with gasoline, lit up, and thrown under the bus.

He was sent to the AHL at a point in the season where he led the team in blocked shots and was clearly not the weakest link on our defense. Not to mention Rutherford told Babchuk that he was sent to the AHL so some of the other defensemen on the team could be showcased for an eventual trade, an eventual trade that never happened. I see that as a pretty valid reason to be upset with your boss. While he may not have handled the demotion in the best way possible, I wouldn't say that he shouldn't have felt a little betrayed by the organization.

Babchuk lead the team in blocked shots at the beginning of a season of injuries with our defense. He was sent down when he was playing horribly and had been invisible for many games in a row as his TOI showed.

He was also the only player with a 2-way contract that the Canes could move at the time.

For what its worth Hutchison was a terror this year in the AHL. Lets get him back too Eh?

Thanks for the accuracy. Please grasp the pom poms again for Anton.

I think we should give him the chance at least. Not my favorite player by any means, but everyone deserves a chance before they're doused with gasoline, lit up, and thrown under the bus.

Yeah, especially with the price of gas these days. ;)

I'm not really thrilled about the prospects of this, but I've been starting to not quite expect much of a splash yet again. So I guess it's better than nothing.

you think this is any sign of the "big trade" not being able to work it's way out? or maybe the D-men we've been looking to sign are not thinkin what JR's thinking? hopefully this isn't gonna be the biggest news this week..

Babchuk lead the team in blocked shots at the beginning of a season of injuries with our defense. He was sent down when he was playing horribly and had been invisible for many games in a row as his TOI showed.

right, but the reason for his demotion was not his play but JR wanting to activate Kaberle, of all people, off of the IR. I might not care for Anton's subborness, but I can see him thinking that he could bring more to the team than Kaberle.

right, but the reason for his demotion was not his play but JR wanting to activate Kaberle, of all people, off of the IR. I might not care for Anton's subborness, but I can see him thinking that he could bring more to the team than Kaberle.

Remember though Whaler, Kabs was coming off his decent Stanley Cup year, and while I am not a Kab fan he did do his best in a Canes uniform then. Obviously Kabs should have never been signed for over 2 mill, but the SC year caused JR to jump the gun on that one. Hard to leave a 2mill a year guy on the bench who had his best year for you the previous year for a guy making under 800k and fast going downhill.

As far as Im concerned, if Babchuk can help keep this team from having the most goals against, Id be more than happy to be the founding member of the Anton Babchuk fan club.

New members will be welcome ;)

Remember though Whaler, Kabs was coming off his decent Stanley Cup year, and while I am not a Kab fan he did do his best in a Canes uniform then. Obviously Kabs should have never been signed for over 2 mill, but the SC year caused JR to jump the gun on that one. Hard to leave a 2mill a year guy on the bench who had his best year for you the previous year for a guy making under 800k and fast going downhill.

It would be a nice subtle message saying we don't you playing for us anymore, so ask us for a trade so you can get more ice time.... no? ;)

This is an interesting move though. Remember when we missed the playoffs, PK stated that he was going to be more involved with any moves the team makes. I think this one has his influence all over it, because I don't see JR being the type of guy to suddenly forgive Babchuk.

This is an interesting move though. Remember when we missed the playoffs, PK stated that he was going to be more involved with any moves the team makes. I think this one has his influence all over it, because I don't see JR being the type of guy to suddenly forgive Babchuk.

He could be if Babchuk was one of the few options he had for a younger and financially attainable defenseman.

Still don't buy it. If JR wanted Babchuk because he's a young and financially attainable defenseman, why the heck didn't he grab him last year, when our defense was just as bad.

Man... it's gonna suck that I have to work tomorrow... when does free agency begin??? I work from 8AM until 12:30, and then we goto the University to apply for our Masters, and then we goto the gym... I'll have to keep my phone fully charged tonight and tomorrow so I can spend all day on it... any sites you guys use on your mobile browsers?