The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
cthreepo

Canes sign Ruutu

I'm not worried. This guy is a potential 30 goal scorer who can hit (sound familiar?). Now let's see what he can do when healthy.

Exactly. This was a very good deal financially, to get him for only what he was making before. Did anyone really think we could have signed him for a lesser amount? Even so, he's still the second cheapest of the Top 9 forwards the Canes have signed currently, only behind Eaves. Would have been nice if it could have been for longer, but this allows us to see if he truly fits in with the Canes' system for a full year before committing too much, too. Plus we can expect him to play his heart out in a contract year.

Really no way you can compare this contract to what Ladd signed, either. Just because they were traded for each other doesn't make them perfectly equal in value. Ruutu is older and has played more games and put up more numbers than Ladd, and that's what earns the money.

We can use Ruutu in the corners. His aggressive play, ability to get in front of the net, and then agitate...We need him.

2.25 mil...that's nothing if you look at what we could get for him in return if things don't work out. I am glad he is here and looking forward to his play!

Pretty expensive imo, man don't even need money for anything eat tuna and drink water :) well I guess Canes wanted to see this card, what he can do with full season, hard to know cause no-one has seen it for a long time :D Ok, I hope he stays healthy this time and keep those bodies flying, it's a start. Good chance for him, time to shine.

Speaking of getting Jarkko on our team, that brought up an idea in my head. Have two brothers ever played on the same team, for any extended period of time, at least? I know there are plenty of families within the league, but it just seems like none of the brothers are ever on the same team together. Think it might be a locker room chemistry thing? Maybe too much competition between the two? Anybody? Bueller? Bueller?

Speaking of getting Jarkko on our team, that brought up an idea in my head. Have two brothers ever played on the same team, for any extended period of time, at least? I know there are plenty of families within the league, but it just seems like none of the brothers are ever on the same team together. Think it might be a locker room chemistry thing? Maybe too much competition between the two? Anybody? Bueller? Bueller?

The Canadians have the Kostitsyn brothers.

46 Andrei Kostitsyn

74 Sergei Kostitsyn

The Niedermayer's

the sedin's of the canucks and the kostitsyn's of the canadiens are brothers on the same team

So...just throwing this out there...apparently Devil fans are keen on getting Ruutu, and think that Ruutu + 2nd round for Gionta would work. Dunno about the rest of you, but if we could grab Gionta for Ruutu, I'd take that and run.

Given that Andrew Ladd (per nhlnumbers.com) just signed a 2 year deal with Chicago for only $3.1m and, if you accept as a premise, Ladd and Ruutu are pretty much the same caliber player, then this was an overpaid signing and a bad trade for Carolina. Of course, performance on the ice this next season could change things....

I do not accept this premise. It's my opinion that Ladd will prove to be a much better player longterm....points, skill, physicality, brains, etc. If Ruutu scores more than 10 goals next year I will eat my hat, er, words.

So...just throwing this out there...apparently Devil fans are keen on getting Ruutu, and think that Ruutu + 2nd round for Gionta would work. Dunno about the rest of you, but if we could grab Gionta for Ruutu, I'd take that and run.

Hmmm. Now THAT is an interesting trade scenario.

I do not accept this premise. It's my opinion that Ladd will prove to be a much better player longterm....points, skill, physicality, brains, etc. If Ruutu scores more than 10 goals next year I will eat my hat, er, words.
Ivy, you probably know where I was coming from...in the days after the trade, there was pretty equal division of those that liked Ruutu over Ladd, the reverse, and those that thought it was a wash. Most of the hockey world's pundits, as I recall, pretty much called the trade a wash, that both of these injury-prone guys that weren't able to live up to their potential may get something of a jump out of a fresh start with a new team. So, that was the premise I was taking. Obviously, if you think Ladd is a significantly better player, then that makes the whole situation even more of a bad deal than the assumption that he and Ruutu are pretty much the same.

You might want to get that hat ready. :P

Ruutu has scored 23 goals, 17, and then a total of 10 in his time combined last year between Chicago and Carolina, out of four years in the NHL. The one year he didn't was 05-06, which was the year he sat out injured most of with a back injury and then ankle injury and only played in 15 games.

As to who could be the better player in the long-term, I think much of that will depend on injuries and also if they play in a system that fits their playstyles best. Both have the potential to be very good players.

Also, at the time of his drafting, I'm pretty sure that Ruutu was considered to possibly be a great player in the NHL with unlimited potential. I don't remember hearing any of that about Ladd. "strong forward who can chip in some goals" was the summary of Ladd. Ruutu on the other hand can be dynamic, or just injured lol. Either way I still think he's better than Ladd. We shall see though.

I look at this as the next logical step before a possible trade. Cole still seems to be the logical one. He is going to ask for more money at the end of this year than J.R. is going to want to spend and his salary now is an amount that the J.R. would drop IF he has shored up the top 9 forward situation. He signs Ruutu at 2.25 mil and then trades Cole and his 4 mil, there is 1.75 mil to spend on defense, plus whoever comes in the Cole deal.

We now have Ruutu signed for the year just like Cole. If J.R. doesn't get what he wants for a possible Cole trade, then he has Ruutu to dangle. Part of the "trade Cole (or Williams) deal" has always been the idea that we were overstocked at forward. It's obvious that J.R. would rather draft forwards and trade them for seasoned defense than to develope a defenseman in Albany because of the time involved. This gives him another chip to play.

Now to the contract. 2.25 mil may seem high to some, but who were we going to get at that dollar or less that will give the same impact. We need some guys who can win battles on the boards and dig the pucks out. Ruutu has shown he can play a physical game which is greatly needed on this team. The only problem I had with the trade to get him was that Ladd was about the only player we had that would camp out in front of the goal.

Gionta is very fast, but he also really small. I wouldnt mind getting him, but I would rather go after Parise or Zajac I think that would be a better deal for us.

The way I see it, there are two things that this could mean.

1.) We signed him so we can then trade him to another team.

2.) He's signed and will be on the 2nd line opening night, a trade is coming.

While yes, he could play on the third line with that money and it wouldn't be too bad, but if he does that would mean we wouldn't make a move which I don't see JR not doing anything at this point. We can't go into the year with the D we have now, we don't have enough under contract. JR knows something needs to be done and something will happen, which I suspect would be before July 1st. If we found someone that wanted to trade for him, then this is a deal so the other team is not just acquiring his rights.

I can't really think of a bad scenario that can come out of this deal, I'm pretty happy with it. And he's making the the least amount of money of our forwards besides Eaves, so I don't think it's that bad.

The downside is that whatever return Rutherford could potentially receive, will continue to decrease as the teams inch closer to free agency and the start of next season.

At the 2006 NHL draft, Jack Johnson was worth Jordan Staal straight-up. Rutherford didn't make the move, a month or two later Johnson and Oleg Tverdovsky were only worth Eric Belanger and Tim Gleason. While Gleason is a solid player, that is a rather significant drop-off in ability from Staal to Gleason in a relatively short amount of time.

I think he'll eventually regret that he didn't make a move at the draft.

IMO a good deal for JR and looks like he is doing things exactly as he advertised at the end of the season.

Like others on the board I get impatient for the dman deal but I'm optimistic JR will get it done like he said he would at the press conference.

Please no Gionta for Ruutu - we need the size and toughness more than the skill. Maybe Ruutu for Madden ;) sarcasm alert

The deal wasn't Johnson for Staal--the deal was Johnson and something else (Ladd was the rumor) for Staal--which is way over priced. He should have looked at not getting Johnson at all and getting Marc Staal in the first place.

And how is less of a deal--we get Jordan and now the Canes have 11 top 9 forwards and still no defense. Johnson had to be traded for defense to make any sense--or it had to be a trade in the Canes favor for an offenseman.