The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
bmb2jn

If the Sabres sign Peca will they be Cup Contenders again?

I'll say no, I don't really think he would hurt them, but I don't really see what he is going to bring that they lost. I still think the sabres are going to be in contention, maybe not dominate like they were last year, but it would not surprise me to see them in a 5-8th seed position. Also didn't he hold out from the sabres for more money last time? Would they even want him back?

Peca will re-sign in Toronto, moot point. If the Sabres haven't signed him by now, they won't.

Peca will re-sign in Toronto, moot point. If the Sabres haven't signed him by now, they won't.

Well, it depends on what you mean by Cup contenders. If they sign Peca, they'll have an improved chance of making the playoffs, but I don't see them having what it takes to win the Cup.

There's rumor that Michael Peca wants to return to the Buffalo Sabres. If they sign him will they be as good as they were the last 2 years?

I dont's see why not? One guy like Peca who isn't all he's cracked up to be anymore especially since he hasn't played since i don't know november will make that much of a difference. Teh only thing I think will really effect us is the loss of all those goals by chris and danny. I mean we have an awesome goalie, great backup goalie(well better than the last)and an amazingly fast young team and the leadership of Lindy and even numminen. Now I know someone will say that there are plenty of teams in the nhl just like us. But the only thing that makes them like us is that they are 20 men in matching uniforms wearing ice skates. And that is reason enough because there is no I in team and that's exactly what we are about team and I'm not just talking about the players it's the whole city of buffalo and all the fans that go with it, and we truely believe !

Now I know someone will say that there are plenty of teams in the nhl just like us. But the only thing that makes them like us is that they are 20 men in matching uniforms wearing ice skates. And that is reason enough because there is no I in team and that's exactly what we are about team and I'm not just talking about the players it's the whole city of buffalo and all the fans that go with it, and we truely believe !

So what you're saying is that there are 29 other teams exactly like yours. Rarely do teams focus on a few good players. Wins take a team effort, and all teams understand that. And of course, most cities and fans of the team support their team and do believe that "This will be their year".

the Rangers will get him. But if we did get him back, I think he'd make us better, but not necessarily serious contenders. But, I'm also a Sabres fans, so I kinda think we're contenders anyway. :)

But, Darcy did say yesterday he wasnt planning on signing Pecca (or anyone) right now. He said "I'm happy with who we have." Looks like Darcy's back to his old self. -_-

haha woahhh, they are doing both.

and actually, some of the sabres fans are saying we have a good team!

i could not believe what i was reading! haha that was nice of them. :D

I don't think Sabres fans hate the 'Canes the way some 'Canes fans hate the Sabres (we don't spend much time coming up with adorable feminine nicknames for your coach, for instance). I understand some Buffalo fans were jerks at the ECF two years ago, so that is probably the origin of the animosity, but for myself I remember that series as one of the most entertaining I have seen.

Never thought I'd see the day where anyone thought Peca could possibly make a team a stanley cup contender.

Nothing, at this point, is going to make the Sabres a Cup contender this year. Peca could add some needed leadership which might make the difference between being an 8th seed and a 4th or 5th seed. Either way the Sabres won't go beyond the second round, if that.

I don't think Sabres fans hate the 'Canes the way some 'Canes fans hate the Sabres (we don't spend much time coming up with adorable feminine nicknames for your coach, for instance). I understand some Buffalo fans were jerks at the ECF two years ago, so that is probably the origin of the animosity, but for myself I remember that series as one of the most entertaining I have seen.

Wait, what?

the Sabres don't hate the Canes?

coulda fooled me with those people calling themselves the 'Real Champions' of 2006 every chance they get...

The hate definitely goes both ways in this situation. If you need proof, go to any Canes YouTube link or one...interesting...MySpace page.

Facebook is another one.

Wait, what?

the Sabres don't hate the Canes?

coulda fooled me with those people calling themselves the 'Real Champions' of 2006 every chance they get...

I think every Sabres fan is well aware that the 'Canes were the Stanley Cup champs of 2005-2006. What pains us is knowing how close we came, but for injuries. However, injuries are part of the game. Sometimes they are the result of bad luck, but just as often the result of inadequate conditioning or management not making good trades to provide supporting players. We recognize the 'Canes beat us, fair and square.

Sabres fans first took notice of Carolina in 2005-2006, but last year it was Ottawa that was the team upon which we focused most and traditionally it is Toronto we see as our main rivals. Perhaps, in time, a real rivalry will develop between Buffalo and Carolina, but last year we were on opposite ends of the playoff race and with no playoff meeting the intensity of the 2006 ECF series faded considerably for Buffalo fans. Also, you have to admit your boys didn't heat up the rivalry much during our regular season meetings.

Traditionally, southerners have a natural dislike of all things New York, although that generally applies to the City and in that regard you will find just as many people from Western New York who dislike NYC teams as do folks from North Carolina. Rivalries are what make sports interesting and I hope both Carolina and Buffalo have teams that are competitive enough to renew their rivalry this year.