The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
RealRitzcracker

Why The Hurricanes Will Win The Stanley Cup!

I don't see why people say "they're so old", their average age is 30.8, ours is 29.1, that's not that big of a difference, especially with how young we've gotten.

Fact: Detroit's goaltending is outstanding. Osgood led the league in GAA and could have easily won the Conn Smythe last year. Ward is not better than Osgood now. That's a really, really wrong thing to say.

Hasek and Osgood played about the same # of games last year about 40 each, but considering we're talking about the future and Osgood will be their future starter I'll talk about him. IMO Osgood is not that good, like you said Detroit usually allows under 20 shots a game and barely any of those shots are legitimate scoring chances. He's not really getting tested, you could put most goalies in the league in Detroit and their defense will make them look good. I remember the All-Stars game and the Young-Stars game as well for that matter Osgood was getting lit up. Sure you could say he wasn't trying because it was only an All-Star game but it just goes to show if its his talent vs other talent in the league without Detroi'ts defense, he's getting scored on.

I don't see why people say "they're so old", their average age is 30.8, ours is 29.1, that's not that big of a difference, especially with how young we've gotten.

Someone has been on nhlnumbers.com haha

The reason people say there old is because their BEST players like Draper, Lidstrom, Osgood are really old. There young players are on there 3rd and 4th lines.

The reason people say there old is because their BEST players like Draper, Lidstrom, Osgood are really old. There young players are on there 3rd and 4th lines.

THEIR best players are Datsyuk and Zetterberg, 29 and 27 respectively. Lidstrom has been the best defenseman in the NHL for ages. Oh, and they just added a beast of a forward in Hossa. Yes our team has gotten better in the past week, but to suggest we are better than the Red Wings right now is plain idiotic.

Those 3rd and 4th liners that you said were terrible? Despite the stats claiming otherwise.

THEIR best players are Datsyuk and Zetterberg, 29 and 27 respectively. Lidstrom has been the best defenseman in the NHL for ages. Oh, and they just added a beast of a forward in Hossa. Yes our team has gotten better in the past week, but to suggest we are better than the Red Wings right now is plain idiotic.

Exactly.

Hasek and Osgood played about the same # of games last year about 40 each, but considering we're talking about the future and Osgood will be their future starter I'll talk about him. IMO Osgood is not that good, like you said Detroit usually allows under 20 shots a game and barely any of those shots are legitimate scoring chances. He's not really getting tested, you could put most goalies in the league in Detroit and their defense will make them look good. I remember the All-Stars game and the Young-Stars game as well for that matter Osgood was getting lit up. Sure you could say he wasn't trying because it was only an All-Star game but it just goes to show if its his talent vs other talent in the league without Detroi'ts defense, he's getting scored on.

Its true that Osgood might not have the same Stats if it wasnt for Detroits Defense, Osgood Can get the Job done being the Starter next year along side with Ty,

Its also true that Other goalies would look good if you put Detroits D infront..

But also keep in mind When the D isnt there for Osgood or Hasek they did get the job done, its not only the Defense that makes them get their Stats, Detroit has always kept in mind that you also need a not good but a Great Goalie to get a Stanley Cup (doesn't everybody?) (im not saying Osgood is the best, he isn't but hes somebody who can get the job done for Detroit and thats why hes not St.Louis anymore or anywhere else..)

But to tell you the truth i think Detroit is going to be a lot harder to beat next year..they might even get less than 10 losses.. I'm still amazed how we got Hossa for 7.45m, For someone like him its Cheap..

But im worried how Ty and Chris are gonna do next year..

I'm waiting for the Wings to trade Hossa at the deadline and rack up the picks/prospects from the team who believes Hossa will push them into the playoffs and re-sign long term.

I'm thinking Edmonton.

I'm waiting for the Wings to trade Hossa at the deadline and rack up the picks/prospects from the team who believes Hossa will push them into the playoffs and re-sign long term.

I'm thinking Edmonton.

I mean its not like we need him but i dont know.. well see how it goes.. Hossa didn't get us 4 Stanley cups in 11 years?

Even if its false I would still like to believe that the hurricanes are the best.

Are team could be in last and I would still talk like they are the best.

I stick with my team through thick and thin.

Even if Detroit is better I will take the crappy side of the arguement and at least TRY to spin it in the canes favor.

IceFrog999 are you a canes fan?

Even if its false I would still like to believe that the hurricanes are the best.

Even if Detroit is better I will take the crappy side of the arguement and at least TRY to spin it in the canes favor.

I respect that, so do i but somehow both my teams are either #1 or fighting for a playoff spot..

Really? Calling Detroit Old is an insult? Hell, id take them anyday to get me a Stanley Cup all those "Old " People you call got us Stanley Cups in the past 11 years, 2 Back to Backs, 1 against Carolina :ph34r: and 1 Last year..

I really don't worry, we got so many young players coming in who can keep getting us Stanley Cup in Detroit, and the Orginization is doing a hella of a job..

Talking about Detroit and stating Facts about Detroit does't make him less of a Canes fan..

There's a difference between being a 'Canes fan and living in a false reality. Yes, we're all 'Canes fans here, but to try to say the 'Canes are the best team in the NHL right now is stupid. Our team hasn't even been on the ice together. Everything looking nice on paper is all fine and dandy, but it's how they play on the ice that's the issue.

I'm a realistic Canes fans. I realize there's limitations to what a team can achieve and I realize there are some teams that are better than Carolina.

I'm not going to be delusional and try and claim our defense is better than Detroit's.

I think we'll have a much more improved team than last year but none of that matters if we can't stay healthy like last year. Unfortunately I'll be in Parris Island for Marine Corps boot camp so I'll miss the first 3 months of the season(I leave Sept.22) but when I graduate Id love to see us atleast 1st in our division if not our Conference.

I think we'll have a much more improved team than last year but none of that matters if we can't stay healthy like last year. Unfortunately I'll be in Parris Island for Marine Corps boot camp so I'll miss the first 3 months of the season(I leave Sept.22) but when I graduate Id love to see us atleast 1st in our division if not our Conference.

A little of Topic but..

Good luck in Parris Island, Semper Fi!

I HOPE we can stay healthy this season. But look at our roster: Ruutu, Cullen, Eaves, Seidenberg, Melichar... all of those guys are important to our team and are possible injuries waiting to happen. Combine that with the fact that our team is looking to play a more physical game and injuries could be a problem again. On the other hand, the fact that we are looking to be bigger and more physical could actually help protect our guys. I think thats what JR is aiming for to an extent, and lets hope that it works. But I'm still concerned about injuries. If we can stay healthy, we have one damn good chance at the playoffs. Go Canes!

If we want physical or at least thinking their physical we could get Jesse Boulerice for pretty cheap lol.

What about that guy Todd Bertuzzi guy isn't he a free agent? Those 2 are pretty physical lol.

If we want physical or at least thinking their physical we could get Jesse Boulerice for pretty cheap lol.

What about that guy Todd Bertuzzi guy isn't he a free agent? Those 2 are pretty physical lol.

Pass on Boulerice. And since this video needs to be posted everytime Boulerice is mentioned...

''>
' target="_blank">
[/post]

Sorry, it's hockey law.

As for Bertuzzi, apparently, he passed on a 1-year, 2.5 million dollar contract from Pittsburgh. We're not going to pay him near that much.

And where's Mr. Downey now? DET?

Pass on Boulerice. And since this video needs to be posted everytime Boulerice is mentioned...

''>
' target="_blank">
[/post]

Sorry, it's hockey law.

As for Bertuzzi, apparently, he passed on a 1-year, 2.5 million dollar contract from Pittsburgh. We're not going to pay him near that much.

Well that's exactly my point. He's trying to say we'll win the Stanley Cup because this team is better than the Stanley Cup team. I said that that logic is flawed, because not all the teams are the same as they were back in 06. Some teams have improved (Montreal), some have become worse (Buffalo).

You haven't watched the Red Wings before, have you? Or this is some kind of joke that I'm not getting.

Fact: Detroit's defense is one of the best in the league, and it's anchored by a future Hall of Famer. Last year, that defense let in the least amount of goals in the league, and routinely kept their opponents to less than 20 shots a game.

Fact: Detroit's goaltending is outstanding. Osgood led the league in GAA and could have easily won the Conn Smythe last year. Ward is not better than Osgood now. That's a really, really wrong thing to say.

Fact: Their offense was in the top 3 in goals scored. Their third line consists of Dan Cleary - Jiri Hudler - Valtteri Filppula. Look them up.

Dan Cleary: 63GP, 20 goals, 22 assists, 42 points, +21

Jiri Hudler: 81GP, 13 goals, 29 assists, 42 points, +11

Valtteri Filppula: 78GP, 19 goals, 17 assists, 36 points, +16

That...is depth.

I can't even believe you'd try to argue this.

I am not a wings fan but to call them not that great is laughable.

I agree with you Frog wholeheartedly.

and btw lets make the playoffs first and then worry about how far we go. ;)

Don't forget chemistry. A bunch of players thrown together does not make a team.

They still need to build all the relationships, all of the camaraderie, all of the mutual respect necessary to make them live and die for each other on the ice. That is the difference between winning and losing. If you don't believe that, you need to review 2006 again.

BEFORE AFTER

Anton Babchuk Anton Babchuk - More Mature Has To Be Better Now

Frantisek Kaberle Frantisek Kaberle - He's not worse than before

Glen Wesley Joni Pitkanen - BIG BIG BIG IMPROVEMENT 4th overall draft pick

BEFORE AFTER

Matt Cullen Matt Cullen - I think he is better than before

BEFORE AFTER

Erik Cole Patrick Eaves - Fast for Fast nice new refreshing Improvement

Ray Whitney Ray Whitney - Still Here and he is better IMPROVEMENT

First off, we don't know yet if Babchuk has matured and got his attitude in line. And if he did, doesn't mean he will be better. Kaberle IS in fact worse than before. Since shoulder surgery, he hasn't been the same offensive threat as he was. Wesley had leadership, and just because one is a early draft pick doesn't mean they are good. Matt Cullen is still not 100%, and I am starting to wonder if he will ever play like he did before the Orr hit. Eaves replacing Cole is not an improvement, if anything it is a decline. Cole was a proven scorer, with the last 3 season 20+ goal seasons. Eaves only has had 20 goals in his rookie year. Ray Whitney is no improvement, If anything a decline. He is getting older. Williams isn't an improvement either, They are the same as they were two years ago. IMO that would be neutral, not an improvement.