The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Caniac5

Siedenberg Signed....

YESS!! i've been waiting for this for a looong time! so glad they finally signed him for a good price!

i believe he is the future Bret Hedican, he's got a great stride, but a better offensive side.

Good to see Seidenberg signed. I figured since he didn't file for arbitration they were either close to a deal or JR had a plan in place and informed Seidenberg that he will be part of this team next year.

Will be interesting to see what JR now does on the defense side of things since we are over cap.

My guess: Kaberle to Ottawa for a pick (we did still their offensive-defenseman, we should be nice and return the favor.)

The way the fans seem to hate Wallin, I am surprised he would want to stay here. I think we should give the guy a little bit of slack, he had a rough year last year, so did several other players, like Cam Ward, Brindy before the injury, but you don't want to hang those guys out to dry. I think it says a lot the guy wants to only play for this organization, and if he plays like he did the previous 5 seasons, he is a steal at the price we are paying.

Great post, and welcome.

I agree, we need his shutdown style of game to compliment our offensive minded guys. He's still a good player, him and Gleason were a great shut down pairing last year and that seems to be forgotten.

fourthperiod.com is reporting that Ottawa is talking about either Matthieu Schneider or Kyle Mclaren for "a draft pick" - if true I don't think Kabs will be going there for the same. Maybe, but if I could pick Schneider or McLaren over Kaberle, speding only a draft pick, I know who I'm picking.

Good to see Seidenberg signed. I figured since he didn't file for arbitration they were either close to a deal or JR had a plan in place and informed Seidenberg that he will be part of this team next year.

Will be interesting to see what JR now does on the defense side of things since we are over cap.

My guess: Kaberle to Ottawa for a pick (we did still their offensive-defenseman, we should be nice and return the favor.)

good to have him locked up....but with larose yet to be signed [he will], we're gonna be around $48m i believe. could BOTH wallin and kabs be on the way out?

good to have him locked up....but with larose yet to be signed [he will], we're gonna be around $48m i believe. could BOTH wallin and kabs be on the way out?

No. The ideal would be to move Kaberle and his $2.2M. If LaRose signs and it puts us at $48M, we'll go down to like $45.8M. JR said his budget is around $46M.

Just ashame that we're not their first choice to trade with.

First of all, let me preface this with a comment that I love Seidenberg, and think he has a lot to offer. But the bottom line is he was a guy who only played what, 50 games or so last year and garnered a handful of assists? He played through a lot of injuries, but he was ALSO a healthy scratch a lot of the time (although, I truly believe Kaberle should have been the healthy scratch, not Seidenberg, but that's neither here nor there)

We are throwing 1.2 million at the guy, an RFA, for one year. That's a 50% raise over his salary last season.

LaRose on the other hand, was given a minimum 10% increase from what I've heard via different blogs, etc. So he's going to arbitration. I firmly support this. I think he showed grit and had a decent number of points and even a hat trick in one of his last games, despite missing a chunk of games with a broken leg (which IMO is less risky than an injury like a shoulder or knee. Bones heal and rarely come back as a reoccuring injury)

I think it's horrible we won't spend the $$ on LaRose, but will offer Seidenberg this kind of money.

But the REAL beef I have with the Canes right now is this "budget" that JR has, which is $9 mil below the actual cap. When you look at our salaries, we arent paying anyone teams like Chicago or Pittsburgh are, and we're freaking out over being 7 million BELOW the actual cap? You can't win if you don't spend. I'm sorry. I'm sick and tired of hearing baout JR's budget. If we want to contend, we've got to pay the guys we have what they are worth to keep them. LaRose doesn't deserve a multi million contract, but a fair raise that shows his contributions to the team is certainly in order. He played on the first two lines when our "stars" were hurt. He has grit and is pesky in that great way that makes me love him more.

Just my $0.02

Yeah, I'm thinking this is overpayment. 1.2? What, exactly, did D-berg do last year to deserve that?

All the complaints about LaRose wanted 1 million, claiming he's only a 4th liner and could easily be replaced, but then we pay 1.2 on a guy who spent half the season in the pressbox.

Everyone's assuming we're going to trade Kaberle, but so far, there's been no takers. What happens if we can't trade Kaberle? Either Melichar, Babchuk, or D-berg takes a long vacation in the box again. Babchuk won't be, since we brought him over to play.

D-berg a capable depth defenseman, but that's about it. If we can't trade Kaberle, he'll just be another guy in the press box. Even if we can trade Kaberle, that still leaves us with 7 defenseman, so he STILL might spend time there.

it's easy for teams like pittsburgh to spend all that money. they made it to the cup finals plus they sold out every home game. i'm sure it's pretty easy for them to spend up to the cap. we are a small market team, we essentially lose money every season unless we make the playoffs. teams make most of their money during the playoffs. being 7 million under the cap is not a bad thing at all. we still have a very competitive team and if at the deadline maybe we are a player or 2 away from a deep run in the playoffs it makes it much easier to pull the trigger on a deal. look at the tampa bay rays in baseball, their budget is miniscule compared to boston, chicago cubs, yankees, and they're the top team in baseball. basically i'm trying to say there is more to a team then a bunch of sweet names on the back of the jerseys.

All the complaints about LaRose wanted 1 million, claiming he's only a 4th liner and could easily be replaced, but then we pay 1.2 on a guy who spent half the season in the pressbox.

My point exactly. And honestly? I don't think 1 million is too much. That's not even 2% of JR's alleged budget, and only 1.8% of the actual Cap. He's totally worth that much in contributions to the team. I realize he's usually a fourth line player, but he's ENERGY and he gives so much to the team.

Seidenberg getting 1.2 mil is NOT an overpayment, he had 15 assists in just 47 games with a plus 6. He is also young, still only 26. Finger had 19 pts in 72 games (8G 11A) and was a plus 12 and he got payed 3.5 mil (age 28). Commodore had 14 pts in 67 games (3G 11A), was a minus 7, and got payed 3.75 mil (age 28).

Seids is much more of a stay at home defenseman than a puck mover, yet he still gets about the same number of points in much less games than Finger and Commie. Considering the way defenseman have been getting overpaid recently this is another great move by JR

That's where I'm gonna disagree with you. LaRose isn't worth 1 million. He IS worth more than the 550k they offered him, however.

They offer D-berg a 50% raise for sitting in the box. They offer LaRose a 50k raise for doing much more.

I just don't understand how we can afford this. We were already over the self-imposed cap. We're (apparently) trying to bring Sutter up here. We've still got to buy out Hamilton and Tanabe (and who knows what's going on in that situation).

Doesn't make any sense as to why we'd spend this much on another depth defenseman. And I guess this means Borer's not getting a shot up here anytime soon.

it's not about what theyve done for the money, it's about what they'll be doing for the money. i see seids as a 2nd pairing defensman so that's a good price for him, i see larose as a 4th line grinder.. they're different roles so they're gonna be paid what JR believes fits what they'll be doing for the team.

But the REAL beef I have with the Canes right now is this "budget" that JR has, which is $9 mil below the actual cap. When you look at our salaries, we arent paying anyone teams like Chicago or Pittsburgh are, and we're freaking out over being 7 million BELOW the actual cap? You can't win if you don't spend. I'm sorry. I'm sick and tired of hearing baout JR's budget. If we want to contend, we've got to pay the guys we have what they are worth to keep them. LaRose doesn't deserve a multi million contract, but a fair raise that shows his contributions to the team is certainly in order. He played on the first two lines when our "stars" were hurt. He has grit and is pesky in that great way that makes me love him more.

Just my $0.02

Until this team can get more than 12,000 people to buy season tickets, we will have a budget. You don't like the budget, then buy tickets. Another way to make money is increase ticket prices. Oh wait they increased prices by 5% and people beatched.

In the 10 years that this team has been here, they made money once. The other 9 years, they lost money.

I'm fine with a budget. This team can still compete with a budget. We don't need to sign somebody to a $10M contract in order to win. Not one person makes a winning team, a team makes a winning team.

My point exactly. And honestly? I don't think 1 million is too much. That's not even 2% of JR's alleged budget, and only 1.8% of the actual Cap. He's totally worth that much in contributions to the team. I realize he's usually a fourth line player, but he's ENERGY and he gives so much to the team.

Kevyn Adams also gave a ton to the team, and he never made $1M. Seriously people are overrating Larose. He is NOT worth $1M. JR is not going to pay a guy logging less than 10 minutes a game $1M. If we weren't decimated with injuries and LaRose stayed on the 4th line, would you still be saying he's worth $1M. Likely not.

it's not about what theyve done for the money, it's about what they'll be doing for the money. i see seids as a 2nd pairing defensman so that's a good price for him, i see larose as a 4th line grinder.. they're different roles so they're gonna be paid what JR believes fits what they'll be doing for the team.

JR's already said Gleason - Pitkanen will be our top pair.

Then it's obvious Corvo - someone. If Kaberle isn't traded, it'll be him. If he is, it'll probably be Wallin.

3rd pairing will be Babchuk - someone. Since Lavi likes to go Right-hander - Left-hander, that leaves Melichar and D-berg to fight it out for that last spot. Unless Kaberle isn't traded, then it'll be Melichar, D-berg and Wallin to fight it out for that spot.

JR's already said Gleason - Pitkanen will be our top pair.

Then it's obvious Corvo - someone. If Kaberle isn't traded, it'll be him. If he is, it'll probably be Wallin.

3rd pairing will be Babchuk - someone. Since Lavi likes to go Right-hander - Left-hander, that leaves Melichar and D-berg to fight it out for that last spot. Unless Kaberle isn't traded, then it'll be Melichar, D-berg and Wallin to fight it out for that spot.

why do you think Babchuk is a deffinate? he hasn't earned a spot yet.

why do you think Babchuk is a deffinate? he hasn't earned a spot yet.

Because we brought him over to play. If he had a hissy fit after not getting playing time the first time around, do you think we're going to do that again?

Besides, as I stated, Lavi likes the Right-hand - Left-hand set up, and Babchuk's the only right-hander out of the depth D-men.

That's where I'm gonna disagree with you. LaRose isn't worth 1 million. He IS worth more than the 550k they offered him, however.

They offer D-berg a 50% raise for sitting in the box. They offer LaRose a 50k raise for doing much more.

I just don't understand how we can afford this. We were already over the self-imposed cap. We're (apparently) trying to bring Sutter up here. We've still got to buy out Hamilton and Tanabe (and who knows what's going on in that situation).

Doesn't make any sense as to why we'd spend this much on another depth defenseman. And I guess this means Borer's not getting a shot up here anytime soon.

I'll guarantee LaRose was offered more than $550K. I'd wager a bet it was more in the $600K range. Which in my mind is a decent raise for him and what his role will be on this team. With Sutter likely on the team and Staal showing he can PK, LaRose just lost his spot on the PK. JR values LaRose in the Craig and Kevyn Adams range.

LaRose is looking for 3rd line money, he is NOT a 3rd line player on this team.

As for Borer, he had reconstructive knee surgery. He won't be ready until August at the earliest. So why would we offer him a spot when he could be in Albany strengthening the knee and working on his development?

Because we brought him over to play. If he had a hissy fit after not getting playing time the first time around, do you think we're going to do that again?

He had his hissy fit b/c he was the ONLY defenseman with a 2-way contract. Then when it was time to sign him he wanted a one-way deal. JR wouldn't offer that at that time.

Babchuk is not guaranteed a spot on the top 6. He will have to earn it just like Seidenberg and Melichar.

I'll guarantee LaRose was offered more than $550K. I'd wager a bet it was more in the $600K range. Which in my mind is a decent raise for him and what his role will be on this team. With Sutter likely on the team and Staal showing he can PK, LaRose just lost his spot on the PK. JR values LaRose in the Craig and Kevyn Adams range.

LaRose is looking for 3rd line money, he is NOT a 3rd line player on this team.

Any proof he was looking for 3rd line money? Or proof that he was offered more than 550k? The only news that the public recieved was from Luke, which said he was offered his qualifying offer of 550k.

He had his hissy fit b/c he was the ONLY defenseman with a 2-way contract. Then when it was time to sign him he wanted a one-way deal. JR wouldn't offer that at that time.

Babchuk is not guaranteed a spot on the top 6. He will have to earn it just like Seidenberg and Melichar.

He had a hissy fit because he was sent down when he felt he was playing better than those staying (and he was). JR gave the reason that he was being sent down to showcase Hutchinson and Tanabe for a trade. A trade that never came.

And again, with Lavi's system, and Babchuk being the only right-hander, he's all but guaranteed a spot. Unless he comes to camp completely out of shape, he'll be the right-hand defenseman on the 3rd pairing.

Besides, as I stated, Lavi likes the Right-hand - Left-hand set up, and Babchuk's the only right-hander out of the depth D-men.

they brought everyone here to play.. and i doubt they'll be scared they're gonna hurt his feelings if he doesn't play, he better have a good attitude or they're not gonna let him play.

and BTW we only have 2 right handed D, so i dont think it's gonna matter who uses what hand, it's gonna matter on how well they play and the chemistry.

Any proof he was looking for 3rd line money? Or proof that he was offered more than 550k? The only news that the public recieved was from Luke, which said he was offered his qualifying offer of 550k.

He had a hissy fit because he was sent down when he felt he was playing better than those staying (and he was). JR gave the reason that he was being sent down to showcase Hutchinson and Tanabe for a trade. A trade that never came.

And again, with Lavi's system, and Babchuk being the only right-hander, he's all but guaranteed a spot. Unless he comes to camp completely out of shape, he'll be the right-hand defenseman on the 3rd pairing.

I remember reading something, or maybe heard it in an interview that said LaRose was looking for 3rd line money too. Considering how much our 3rd liners make ($2.5-2.8mil) that ain't gonna happen.