The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
medfordcaniac7

Get rid of the goal horn and be original when we score

Speaking of putting words in other people's mouths... it's about the goal horn not the uniqueness of individual players or their equipment. :rolleyes:

I don't hate the horn as much as I do not like being like everyone else.

The Colorado Avs have a pretty sad horn that I would remember from last season.

You were saying?

The wolf and ram were already taken. :lol: (sorry...had to say it. Just being goofy. ;) )

I guess the slug is taken too. Darn.

Which is...what, exactly? Goalhorns? Mascots? Uniqueness of the team?

Uniqueness of the team. Its pretty obvious that Medford was just thinking he's like to see something as unique as the Brass Bonanza. Goal horns are good but many teams use them. Its not unreasonable to want us to have something unique to the league in the arena. Outside the arena, we definately have the tailgating down to a science and introduced that to the league in 2002. Also, Lavi was the first to start the "father's weekend" that has now caught on.

I know what Medford was saying and I like the goal horn. The Red Sox sing "Sweet Caroline" in the 8th inning at every home game, the Rangers salute their fans, and other teams have their thing too. Is it so unreasonable for someone to suggest that he'd like to see the Canes to do something different that could be associated with the Canes?

I've always thought that the team should come out onto the ice with their hands on the player's shoulders in front of them and make several circles around the ice... They could alternate between making chugging noises and chanting "we think we can, we think we can".

Alright, then I refer back to my other post. The team is already unique, because of the players. And as TSA already said, the fanbase is already unique because of the tailgating.

Alright, then I refer back to my other post. The team is already unique, because of the players. And as TSA already said, the fanbase is already unique because of the tailgating.

You've missed most of my post.

I've always thought that the team should come out onto the ice with their hands on the player's shoulders in front of them and make several circles around the ice... They could alternate between making chugging noises and chanting "we think we can, we think we can".

Somehow, the movie "Stripes" comes to mind - Boom Chug-a-lug-a...Boom Chug-a-lug-a....Boom Chug-a-lug-a, Boom.

You've missed most of my post.

I was just curious as to why he singled out the goal horn. If it's about the uniqueness of the organization (which is apparently what I'm getting), why remove the goal horn?

I'm also curious as why he believes we're not unique already. Or why we're not unique enough?

I've got no problem with the team saluting the fans (which many teams do, not just the Rangers), or giving away their game sticks (which San Jose does). Though, in that same vein, does giving away game-worn jerseys at the end of the season count? Does Ric Flair's "Whoooo" not count?

I was just curious as to why he singled out the goal horn. If it's about the uniqueness of the organization (which is apparently what I'm getting), why remove the goal horn?

I'm also curious as why he believes we're not unique already. Or why we're not unique enough?

I've got no problem with the team saluting the fans (which many teams do, not just the Rangers), or giving away their game sticks (which San Jose does). Though, in that same vein, does giving away game-worn jerseys at the end of the season count? Does Ric Flair's "Whoooo" not count?

Is this really that important to you? Why cant someone start a thread without having someone call him on it? Its not insulting, its not critical and its not personal....its just an idea. I dont get why its worth arguing about the intentions here. Its a pretty staright forward thread that if you dont like, move on to another.

Is this really that important to you? Why cant someone start a thread without haveing someone call him on it? Its not insulting, its not critical and its not personal....its just an idea. I dont get why its worth arguing about the intentions here. Its a pretty staright forward thread that if you dont like, move on to another.

I have to agree with you but then, I have to add my two cents as well. I actually love the horn! I have heard other arenas do different things, (whistle, buzz, etc.) but the horn is all about POWER!!! All the others are "Want-to-be's" if you ask me.

Please, never retire the horn!!! It's just another example of what hockey is all about. I would be happy if every arena used the horn.

IT'S JUST THAT COOL!!...in my opinion.

And we can all be thankful we don't have a shrill siren like some do. We'd all be wishing we wouldn't score...

You know it. That stupid siren that sounds like an air raid during the WW's. Duck, cover, and roll!!!!!!! :blink:

As far as uniqueness goes, I'm pretty sure we are the only team with a PIG for a mascot! Don't get me wrong, my kids love Stormy but it is definitely different. Marginally better than a bird, I guess (Atlanta). :blink:

Well...everyone is kind of the same when it comes to goals scored. Its either a horn or a siren.

As far as horns go...I don't think we do anything out of the ordinary. Its just another two-tone horn. There are different varieties of horn. Calgary and Edmonton both have very distinct higher pitched horns that sound more like trains. The shark tank is a single tone true fog horn.

As far as sirens go, its pretty standard stuff. Some places even do both a horn and a siren. I am not sure how much more original you are going to get using the same template over and over. I think what we do after the horn makes us more original than any team in the NHL.

Cowbell......We need more Cowbell!!

IMO I think when the horn sounds when we score is so boring

and copycat like. The Hawks have done that forever and then Buffalo etc.

Be original and play a song like Taking care of business or like our

previous incarnation, Brass Bonanza

any thoughts or am i all wet :unsure::lol:

I did not realize this was such a touchy subject.

I did not mean to offend anyone.

and the uniquness is not about the organization, its about being

unique when we score a goal. I must be old then lol