The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
CANIAC4LIFE91

blue-line trade in the works

What I would prefer we do is to give Seids an invitation to training camp. This way if Borer makes the top 6, then we're not on the hook for Seids contract, but if borer doesn't then we should send him to albany and sign Seids. Borer needs to be playing here everyday or playing in Albany everyday. There's no use in keeping him in the press box every night so he can "be on the 'Canes". He needs to develop in Albany if that's the case.

Alot of the time Lavi dresses 7 Dmen, and alternates the pairings.

True, but unless he's an everyday player, I don't think it'll help him to be up here. But if he makes the team that's great.

LOL I think Ottawa might still be a little unhappy about the last trade we made with them :lol: Give it a few more months to let them forget how they "won" the Stillman/Commodore for Corvo/Eaves trade.

PMPL!!!!

My feeble little thought is that JR wouldn't have taken on an extra d man unless someone had shown some interest in one of our current ones... And like everyone else has said, the logical one would be dear Fran.

The way the market for D-Men is going Kaberle would be a steal at 2.2 million. He was a 20 point man with one shoulder, now that he is completely healed 30+ points should be a joke. A D-Man that can play the PP and is positionally sound in his own zone are commanding big dollars. Any team would be lucky to get him and we should get a decent return.

I rather we let Seids go, bring up Borer.

Gleason - Pitkanen

Melichar/Babchuk - Corvo

Melichar/Babchuk - Borer/Conboy

7th D - Borer/Conboy'

Seids is good, but Borer is cheaper.

Keep in mind Borer just had reconstructive knee surgery at the end of the season. Keeping him in Albany for another year to strenghten the knee and get his confidence back wouldn't be a bad thing.

If he takes the full 6 months, he won't be ready to go come training camp.

The way the market for D-Men is going Kaberle would be a steal at 2.2 million. He was a 20 point man with one shoulder, now that he is completely healed 30+ points should be a joke. A D-Man that can play the PP and is positionally sound in his own zone are commanding big dollars. Any team would be lucky to get him and we should get a decent return.

i wonder if he is joking

i wonder if he is joking

If we the Carolina fans can't talk this guy up a bit what do you believe we will get in return. The guy is a veteran D-Man with a stanley cup ring on his finger, give him a little credit. Teams are signing forwards posing as D-men for 4 mil. Put Kaberle on Montreal's PP for a year and see how many points he would have.

If we the Carolina fans can't talk this guy up a bit what do you believe we will get in return. The guy is a veteran D-Man with a stanley cup ring on his finger, give him a little credit. Teams are signing forwards posing as D-men for 4 mil. Put Kaberle on Montreal's PP for a year and see how many points he would have.

Kabs can turn it on, but lately he's been going thru the motions and not hustling and not getting to the puck quick enough IMO.

I gotta say its interesting how fast Casey Borer has been forgotten about, I still think that kid deserves a shot he was very solid last season even though his situations were hand picked by Lavi to protect him.

Supposedly Ottawa's going to trade for defense later today, so cross your fingers that it's for Kaberle.

Could be Boyle though. I really hope it's Kaberle....

Ottawa is looking for an offensive defenseman since they gave us Corvo. Why don't we return the favor and ship them Kaberle for like a 4th round pick.
ROFL

As Red Storm and karpa pointed out, Franky was playing much better towards the end of this past season. He played very well with Corvo and there were a couple of games where he outright shocked me with some great strong play. We've heard Tripp talk about his fragile confidence, and if that is true, then we were started to see Franky build his confidence back up and return to his expected level of play. Kabs is the odd man out at the moment, but either he or Wallin would be, but Wallin has an NTC plus, with the addition of Pitkanen, we really need to hold onto a defensive-minded defenseman (Wallin) before we hang onto an offensive-minded dman (Kabs). Not only that, but Wallin is a great character and an awesome fit in the locker room. His chemistry with the team can act as a pillar/foundation in a locker room with a lot of new faces. You almost can't put a price tag on that if my slight conjecture is even half true.

I digress. As others have pointed out, with the present going-rate for defensemen being so ridiculously high, it's not hard to imagine there is a team out there who could use Kaberle. He's fully healed now and let's be honest, he was making consistent improvement over the last 2 or 3 months of the regular season. We've seen his potential and there's no reason he can't return to it. He could very well be the answer to some other team's problems.

About Borer. I don't think anyone has forgotten about him. I'd personally LOVE to see him in the NHL all year this coming season, but if and only if he will be on the roster every, single, night. Sitting in the press box would hurt him and if you consider risk vs reward in his case, he is better off playing one more full season in Albany unless he blows everyone's socks off in camp.

This from the Ottawa Sun this morning:

"The Senators' search for a puck-moving blueliner isn't going to be easy.

With little left on the unrestricted free-agent market, GM Bryan Murray will probably have to go the trade route.

While Tampa's Dan Boyle and Anaheim's Mathieu Schneider are expensive options, Carolina defenceman Frantisek Kaberle is being dangled by the Hurricanes and is scheduled to earn a reasonable $2.2 million (all terms US) a season for the next two years. Carolina would want a winger in return. There is a history of deals between the Senators and Hurricanes -- although the Joe Corvo and Patrick Eaves trade for Cory Stillman and Mike Commodore at the NHL trade deadline didn't work out very well for Ottawa."

TSN has just reported Boyle going to the Sharks. That puts us one step closer to unloading Frank.

With little left on the unrestricted free-agent market, GM Bryan Murray will probably have to go the trade route.

While Tampa's Dan Boyle and Anaheim's Mathieu Schneider are expensive options, Carolina defenceman Frantisek Kaberle is being dangled by the Hurricanes and is scheduled to earn a reasonable $2.2 million (all terms US) a season for the next two years. Carolina would want a winger in return. There is a history of deals between the Senators and Hurricanes -- although the Joe Corvo and Patrick Eaves trade for Cory Stillman and Mike Commodore at the NHL trade deadline didn't work out very well for Ottawa."

TSN has just reported Boyle going to the Sharks. That puts us one step closer to unloading Frank.

a ottawa winger huh? welcome to the team Alfredsson ;)

I think with our most recent pickup on the blue line it points to us having a "less steady" blue liner to pair him with. This may be Seids, or Borer if he can be healthy.

IMO the only thing keeping Borer out of our top 7 (NHL) is his knee and proving he is 100% healthy. To be a young blue liner his decision making and outlet passing was nothing short of amazing for his age. With Rowe on the bench, no one will accuse us of under valuing Casey. Poor guy just picked a bad time to get hurt.

It may not be this year, but I fully expect to see Casey on a one way contract in the near future.

Here's a brief list of Ottawa's wingers that are on contract and their cap hits:

-Dany Heatley ($7.5 million)

-Daniel Alfredsson ($4.414 million)

-Jarkko Ruutu ($1.3 million)

-Chris Neil ($1.1 million)

-Dean McAmmond ($875,000)

-Nick Foligno ($850,000)

-Sean Donovan ($600,000)

I could see us going for Neil or Donovan. Foligno would be nice, but I kinda doubt Ottawa will give him to us for Kaberle.

-Nick Foligno ($850,000)

I rather we let Seids go, bring up Borer.

Gleason - Pitkanen

Melichar/Babchuk - Corvo

Melichar/Babchuk - Borer/Conboy

7th D - Borer/Conboy'

Seids is good, but Borer is cheaper.

I like this train of thought here...anyone else like this?

We are trading a defenseman for salary dump as we are $2M over our self imposed cap and still need Seidenberg and LaRose signed. I seriously doubt we are asking for a player in return unless that player is a prospect for Albany. More likely, all we'll be asking for is a pick.

However, I could see us interested in Donovan, but likely LaRose's rights will be shipped to Ottawa along with Kaberle.