The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
CANIAC4LIFE91

blue-line trade in the works

We're not going to be taking on anymore salary at this point, so I'd rule out any trade for another player at this point. I think the only trade we'll be making is one for a pick with us giving up Kaberle.

?

There could be a trade for a player, but it won't be a NHL player. It is possible that someone could be dealt for a prospect who would play in Albany or even Florida.

Yeah, but people seemed to be suggesting NHL level player's which will not be the case, but if we can deal frank for a prospect to keep in the minors, that'd be great.

I hope it will be soon that we will trade Kaberlee. It be nice to have Dan Boyle on our team but I wonder how much it would cost him to have him up here on our team?

Boyle is with San Jose now.

You responded back to me about a trade. We'll trade Frankie for picks or prospects.

We're not going to be taking on anymore salary at this point, so I'd rule out any trade for another player at this point. I think the only trade we'll be making is one for a pick with us giving up Kaberle.

Also, I was replying to someone else about O'Sullivan.

I misread your post about O'sullivan, I though you were saying we should trade for him. I was saying we won't be taking on any more NHL salary via trade.

Sutter will not make this team for two reasons. #1 he will only get 4th line minutes which will slow his development more than playing in Red Deer. #2 Adding him means taking on more salary. The only way I see him staying on the team past the tryout phase early in the year where you can keep a guy up for a bit and send him back to juniors is if one of the top 3 centers can't go.

There could be a trade for a player, but it won't be a NHL player. It is possible that someone could be dealt for a prospect who would play in Albany or even Florida.

I don't think he's going to develop anymore in Red Deer. AHL, sure. More of a challange. He's been with Red Deer for 3 years. I think he's going to be with us. It'll be 700k + on our payroll. More than the minimum, but not a huge whopping much.

I misread your post about O'sullivan, I though you were saying we should trade for him. I was saying we won't be taking on any more NHL salary via trade.

Oh. K. ;)

I don't think he's going to develop anymore in Red Deer. AHL, sure. More of a challange. He's been with Red Deer for 3 years. I think he's going to be with us. It'll be 700k + on our payroll. More than the minimum, but not a huge whopping much.

JR said that he was playing on a bad Red Deer team and that wasn't helping him. And as mentioned before, he's too young to play in the AHL. Also when he was drafted he said he was one of he most NHL ready players in the Draft, but they wanted him to bulk up some before playing up here.

JR said that he was playing on a bad Red Deer team and that wasn't helping him. And as mentioned before, he's too young to play in the AHL. Also when he was drafted he said he was one of he most NHL ready players in the Draft, but they wanted him to bulk up some before playing up here.

And what better way than to room with Brindy?? :)

Great threads, this and the other one with We'll win the Stanley Cup.

Detroit = "Older than Dirt" but still damn good. I'm getting lunch

Sutter will not make this team for two reasons. #1 he will only get 4th line minutes which will slow his development more than playing in Red Deer. #2 Adding him means taking on more salary. The only way I see him staying on the team past the tryout phase early in the year where you can keep a guy up for a bit and send him back to juniors is if one of the top 3 centers can't go.

99% says Sutter is the 4th line center on these facts:

-Quote from JR: "Based on what we've seen we project him to play in the NHL next season," Rutherford said.

-We currently do not have a 4th line center. Bayda and Brookbank are not centers. LaRose, if signed, is not a center. Besides that experiment is done. LaRose does much better on wing.

-Do you not think JR and PK have money in place for when Sutter makes the team. Remember, PK said he can/will go over the budget if necessary. Wouldn't be surprised to have them set the team cap lower to ensure if/when Sutter makes the team, its in their means.

Point is, if they thought in March Sutter was making the team, they have it all figured out money wise.

Not to mention Red Deer is horrible. It was about the worst team last year and it doesn't look to be getting any better. There is nothing else Sutter can do in juniors at this point.

We just traded a top 9 forward b/c we had too many top 9 forwards and now people want to bring in another top 9 forward. We bring in another forward, and we are right back to where we started. And traded Eaves won't do any good b/c O'Sullivan will cost more than Eaves. Remember we have a team cap. And considering Eaves was what got the deal done with Ottawa, I doubt he's going anywhere.

I don't think we traded a Top 9 forwrd just because we had 10 of them. If we had a good D in place, the trade would not have been made. It was rumored in the past that JR was going after the same player with a defenseman as trade bait. I feel that based on numbers, injuries and the system being run that JR woudl like to have more than 9 guys who can play in teh first 3 lines.

Having 9 top 9 fowards doesn't work if 2 of them are injured.

If Sutter is going to make the team, I think the Canes would also like to have a verteran precense on that line with him, thus trying to sign someone else who is a 3rd/4th liner with experience.

Sutter maybe ready mentally for the NHL but not physically. One good hit and there goes our future prospect. His body would crush like a beer can if he took a blind-sided hit. Now granted, I could possibly see him picking up a PK position to get his feet wet but don't put him on the forth line and expect him to excel.

High hopes = heavy crash!

IMHO!

99% says Sutter is the 4th line center on these facts:

-Quote from JR: "Based on what we've seen we project him to play in the NHL next season," Rutherford said.

-We currently do not have a 4th line center. Bayda and Brookbank are not centers. LaRose, if signed, is not a center. Besides that experiment is done. LaRose does much better on wing.

-Do you not think JR and PK have money in place for when Sutter makes the team. Remember, PK said he can/will go over the budget if necessary. Wouldn't be surprised to have them set the team cap lower to ensure if/when Sutter makes the team, its in their means.

Point is, if they thought in March Sutter was making the team, they have it all figured out money wise.

Not to mention Red Deer is horrible. It was about the worst team last year and it doesn't look to be getting any better. There is nothing else Sutter can do in juniors at this point.

All valid points but I just don't see him sticking with the team. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see him make the team out of camp and then get sent back to juniors after he reaches the limit of games. Using him to play 4th line minutes just doesn't make financial sense.

I don't think we traded a Top 9 forwrd just because we had 10 of them. If we had a good D in place, the trade would not have been made. It was rumored in the past that JR was going after the same player with a defenseman as trade bait. I feel that based on numbers, injuries and the system being run that JR woudl like to have more than 9 guys who can play in teh first 3 lines.

Having 9 top 9 fowards doesn't work if 2 of them are injured.

If Sutter is going to make the team, I think the Canes would also like to have a verteran precense on that line with him, thus trying to sign someone else who is a 3rd/4th liner with experience.

The rumor of trying to get Pitkanen for a defenseman was last year. Last year, we didn't have a glut of forwards. This off season we had 10 top 9 forwards under contract. Someone was going.

You can't play 10 guys in the top 9. Who gets relegated to the 4th line. Ruutu? Nope. Eaves? nope when he was signed JR specifically said he fits in our top 9. Walker? good luck with that one. Point is, we didn't have anyone in our top 9 that would make sense to move to the 4th line. So yes, a forward was moved. It just so happened we needed a defenseman as well. Needing a defenseman or not, a forward was gone, it just depended on whether or not that forward was gone for a player or picks/prospects.

All valid points but I just don't see him sticking with the team. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see him make the team out of camp and then get sent back to juniors after he reaches the limit of games. Using him to play 4th line minutes just doesn't make financial sense.
The Cane's website depth chart has Sutter listed as the starting 4th line center. It's speculative, of course, (but likely more valid than ramblings of fans like us!) Also, it would be unrealistic to think that Cullen is not going miss game time, perhaps significant game time, with his post-concussion syndrome. Therefore, if like me, you expect Cullen to be miss about 20 to 35 games this season with health issues, Sutter will be logging significant third line center minutes in addition to penalty kill duty.

Not sure what any of this has to do with a blue-line trade, but there you go.... ;)

Sutter played in the AHL last season (at the end of the regular season and in the playoffs) after we signed him to his three year contract. I'm not sure I understand why he can't continue to play in Albany (if he doesn't make the Canes roster). Am I missing something?

Sutter played in the AHL last season (at the end of the regular season and in the playoffs) after we signed him to his three year contract. I'm not sure I understand why he can't continue to play in Albany (if he doesn't make the Canes roster). Am I missing something?

It's one of the rules regarding players in juniors that must have been worked out with the AHL. Basically, until a player reaches a certain age (20?), they can only play in the AHL after their junior team's season has ended. So under the rules, they can only play either in the juniors or the NHL until they reach that age. Until then, the only time they can play in the AHL is the last few games of the season after their junior team is no longer playing.

It would be very surprising if Sutter weren't in the NHL this year, for all the things listed above. If he could play in Albany I'm sure that's where he'd be, but since he can't it's looking like he'll be in Raleigh.

It's one of the rules regarding players in juniors that must have been worked out with the AHL. Basically, until a player reaches a certain age (20?), they can only play in the AHL after their junior team's season has ended. So under the rules, they can only play either in the juniors or the NHL until they reach that age. Until then, the only time they can play in the AHL is the last few games of the season after their junior team is no longer playing.

It would be very surprising if Sutter weren't in the NHL this year, for all the things listed above. If he could play in Albany I'm sure that's where he'd be, but since he can't it's looking like he'll be in Raleigh.

Thanks PC. I looked at the AHL rule book and it had all sorts of eligibility stuff about how many professional games a player was limited too (in order to limit the number of "experienced" players in what is a developmental league). But the age limit thing didn't jump out at me in my quick look at their rules.

Thanks PC. I looked at the AHL rule book and it had all sorts of eligibility stuff about how many professional games a player was limited too (in order to limit the number of "experienced" players in what is a developmental league). But the age limit thing didn't jump out at me in my quick look at their rules.

AHL doesn't have age limit rule. However they have an agreement with CHL (http://www.chl.ca) that prevents players younger than 20 or with less than 4 full seasons in juniors to play in AHL.

So, if you are an american born player who isn't playing in CHL or young european you can be 18 and play in AHL. The age limit applies only for players who play in one of the CHL divisions.

EDIT: This should resolve most of the quesions: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=403429&highlight=AHL+CHL+agreement+age' target="_blank">http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=40342...L+agreement+age[/post]

anyone have thoughts on the article in the N&O today that a trade is coming to free us of a surplus of D-men (Wallin was mentioned as was Kaberle - it was also noted that Wallin has a NTC).

^No thoughts perse. We all knew a defenseman was going to have to move. And for those who are thinking we could ship Kaberle off for Neil, think again. Plain as day, a defenseman is being moved for picks and/or prospect.

Here's the article Caniac97 is speaking of

RALEIGH - When Dennis Seidenberg signed a one-year contract Monday, the Carolina Hurricanes added another defenseman to their rapidly growing group on the blue line.

Now they're looking to go the other direction.

Seidenberg's $1.2 million contract -- a hefty raise from the $850,000 he made last season -- puts additional pressure on the Hurricanes to shed salary before training camp opens in September.

While they remain well below the NHL's $56.7 million salary cap, they're above the $45 million payroll budget set by owner Peter Karmanos. Seidenberg's contract gives the Canes 22 players at a total of about $48.5 million, with one restricted free agent left unsigned.

"We'll still look to move a defenseman," general manager Jim Rutherford said Monday. "I would think in the near future, that would end up happening."

The Canes have eight defensemen under contract, not counting minor-leaguers Tim Conboy or Casey Borer, both of whom could end up back in the NHL this season.

With most of Carolina's defensemen either recently acquired -- Joe Corvo, Joni Pitkanen, Josef Melichar -- or signed to new contracts -- Seidenberg, Tim Gleason, Anton Babchuk -- that leaves Frantisek Kaberle and Niclas Wallin as the most likely trade options.

Wallin, who has two years left on his contract at $1.725 million, has a no-trade clause, which he exercised last summer. Kaberle has two years left at $2.2 million.

Carolina's remaining restricted free agent at the NHL level is forward Chad LaRose, who filed for arbitration on Saturday. Seidenberg, on the verge of agreeing to a deal with the Canes, decided not to file.