The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
CANIAC4LIFE91

blue-line trade in the works

^No thoughts perse. We all knew a defenseman was going to have to move. And for those who are thinking we could ship Kaberle off for Neil, think again. Plain as day, a defenseman is being moved for picks and/or prospect.

thing is we could really use Neil, or some other enforcer on the fourth line. I thought we were going to have two this year? Trade Kaberle and Larose, I still say.

thing is we could really use Neil, or some other enforcer on the fourth line. I thought we were going to have two this year? Trade Kaberle and Larose, I still say.

those would be the two in my book as long as we can lose some payroll also in what we get back. Maybe a 4th line enforcer with something to prove.

those would be the two in my book as long as we can lose some payroll also in what we get back. Maybe a 4th line enforcer with something to prove.

A lot of enforcers make around a mil a year, some even less. Look at Hordichuk. I think he made 500k last year. We could have a good enforcer for Larose and Kabs and still brush off 2 million in cap space. Not saying we SHOULD do it or that it will happen... as a matter of fact I don't think it will. Just throwing it out there for the sake of discussion.

The sens don't need another 4th liner, so they won't take LaRose. Sens would do Neil for Kaberle straight up, but then we don't shed salary b/c we will still have Larose.

I don't think LaRose is going anywhere unless the arbitrator gives him a reward of over $800K. Which I don't foresee happening.

When Brookbank signed the one way contract, that was the writing on the wall that he's their enforcer.

LaRose will get 800. Then what?

if that happens i will be shocked. he will be overpaid. if the arbitrator awards that then I see JR walking away from that and letting Chad become a UFA.

if that happens i will be shocked. he will be overpaid. if the arbitrator awards that then I see JR walking away from that and letting Chad become a UFA.

And, as much as I like LaRose, I would walk away too and say, "See if you can get!"

And, as much as I like LaRose, I would walk away too and say, "See if you can get it!"

It is a low risk gamble of sorts for JR, if it goes his way then Chad may get less, if it goes Chad's way then you walk away and we have tons of forwards waiting to take his place.

LaRose will get 800. Then what?

JR likely walks away. I don't see JR paying Chad anything over what Kevyn Adams was paid, $750K. I'd say $750k is the max JR goes for Chad.

JR isn't in a desperate situation to sign him. He's got Bayda locked up for the year at $475K who can do essentially the same job Chad can.

The sens don't need another 4th liner, so they won't take LaRose. Sens would do Neil for Kaberle straight up, but then we don't shed salary b/c we will still have Larose.

I don't think LaRose is going anywhere unless the arbitrator gives him a reward of over $800K. Which I don't foresee happening.

When Brookbank signed the one way contract, that was the writing on the wall that he's their enforcer.

damn, I wanted a big fourth line...not just Brookbank alone.

Here's the way I see it:

Lavi is going to want our top Offensive d-man paired up with our top Defensive guy for balance purposes so Gleason, Pitkanen are obviously the top two pairing.

After that, the majority of our d-men are at approximately the same level, so basically our options are one mid-level shut down pairing and one mid level offensive pairing, or two balanced pairings of mid level d-men. This means we've got:

Seidenberg,

Wallin

Kaberle

Corvo

Babchuk

Borer

Conboy

all to fit in two pairings.

Seids, Corvo and Babs are all definately staying.

Borer and Conboy are eligible, but unless Borer is playing full time I don't see him coming up.

Wallin and Kaberle are the guys on the bubble and most likely to be trade bait.

So that said, expect the D to look something like

Pitkanen/Gleason

Corvo/Seidenberg

Babchuk/Wallin

Conboy

With Kaberle being traded somewhere for a second rounder or a fourth liner/low pick package.

(feels good to post here again. I've missed you guys :P )

So that said, expect the D to look something like

Pitkanen/Gleason

Corvo/Seidenberg

Babchuk/Wallin

Conboy

With Kaberle being traded somewhere for a second rounder or a fourth liner/low pick package.

(feels good to post here again. I've missed you guys :P )

I would agree with most of this however I think Conboy will start in Albany or be a 4th line forward replacement as he is signed to a two way contract and we have Melichar signed as well. I hope we can sucker someone in to a second rounder for Kabs! :)

I would agree with most of this however I think Conboy will start in Albany or be a 4th line forward replacement as he is signed to a two way contract and we have Melichar signed as well. I hope we can sucker someone in to a second rounder for Kabs! :)

RIGHT Melichar! Wow can't believe I forgot him... living up here in Saskatchewan without t.v. or internet for two months has driven me nuts....

Allow me to rework this...

Pitkanen/Gleason

Corvo/Melichar

Babchuk/Seidenberg

Wallin

How about a trade of Kaberle and Babchuk to Ottawa for Chris Neil and a pick/prospect? We would shed $2 million and gain some serious toughness on the 4th line. Then, we could cut Larose loose in time for him to find a new team.

How about a trade of Kaberle and Babchuk to Ottawa for Chris Neil and a pick/prospect? We would shed $2 million and gain some serious toughness on the 4th line. Then, we could cut Larose loose in time for him to find a new team.

We don't need Neil, nor do we need to lose Babchuk.

I doubt Ottawa has any interest in overclogging their blue-line with mediocre talent and losing a big piece of grit from up front.

Kaberle is more tradable than he once was but he's not worth a 2nd rounder, even a third. The canes will be lucky to get anything above a 5th rounder for him, which is perfectly fine.

Kaberle may be worth a second rounder to alot of teams. At best he is a #3 offensive d-man, at worst a number #5-6

Either way you at least have a player, as opposed to a pick which has absolutely no gaurantees. At his worst he is still worth at least a fourth round pick.

Ottawa just signed Jason Smith, so I'd say no to this from their end.

And besides, we only need to trade 1 defenseman. We trade 2 that leaves us with 6 and Lavi likes to play 7.

I'd say something like this:

Pitkanen-Gleason

Corvo-Babchuk

Seidenberg-Wallin

Melichar

The bottom 3 can be changed around based on play, but I don't know how Melichar will pay for us yet, so he stays there for now. I put Babchuk with Corvo because I think out of our bottom 4 he's the most offensive minded and that'll improve both of their playing. I also wouldn't be surpirsed if we occasionally see Corvo and Pitkanen together, especially on the PP, imagine how dangerous that could be.

I'd say something like this:

Pitkanen-Gleason

Corvo-Babchuk

Seidenberg-Wallin

Melichar

The bottom 3 can be changed around based on play, but I don't know how Melichar will pay for us yet, so he stays there for now. I put Babchuk with Corvo because I think out of our bottom 4 he's the most offensive minded and that'll improve both of their playing. I also wouldn't be surpirsed if we occasionally see Corvo and Pitkanen together, especially on the PP, imagine how dangerous that could be.

I agree with your thinking here. And, as noted, Kabs is not listed. He has provided plenty of good games for us but he needs a fresh start somewhere else now. It's time to lay down the Hurricane jersey, pack his bags, and pat him on the butt on the way out the door.

Thank you Kabs for all you've given us and good luck in your endeavors!!

He's the only logical one to trade of our defenseman, so he'll have to go. He did have some great games for us, but I don't think he'll pick up that form again.