The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
CANIAC4LIFE91

blue-line trade in the works

That...doesn't make any sense. We finally have 2 defensemen who can shoot on the PP, but in that same vein, Cullen plays great at the point.

Corvo's stated his disdain for bringing the puck up the ice, while Pikanen is great at it. Corvo's a shooter, Pitkanen's a setup man. Those two should definitely work together.

That leaves Cullen and some one else (Kaberle if we can't find a taker, probably Babchuk if we do) to take over the points on the second unit.

My vote is for Babchuk and Cullen playing the points on the 2nd PP unit. If Babchuk has improved accuracy great, good for him. If not there's a play that I really like to see... its where you take a shot from the point (let's say the left side) and purposely miss the net and the puck bounces at an angle and ends up coming out on the right side. I think we may have done it a few times this season, and I know I saw Detroit do it at least once in the Playoffs.

If Babchuk has improved accuracy great, good for him.
That was the best part of him on the power play, watching everybody dive for cover as he wound up... :D

Anybody know if there is a reason that JR would need to dump a d-man now? Since the frenzy is over, it might make more sense to hold on to everybody until the end of preseason when it's time to get the roster down to (or in our case, below) the limit. It is likely some team will find themselves short a d-man due to injury or other circumstances, in which case JR could get a better deal for our extra. It also would give PL a chance to work Babchuk and Melichar out with the rest of the team and get a feel for their capabilities. Who knows, it may be that Melichar is a step down from the despised Kaberle...

That was the best part of him on the power play, watching everybody dive for cover as he wound up... :D

Anybody know if there is a reason that JR would need to dump a d-man now? Since the frenzy is over, it might make more sense to hold on to everybody until the end of preseason when it's time to get the roster down to (or in our case, below) the limit. It is likely some team will find themselves short a d-man due to injury or other circumstances, in which case JR could get a better deal for our extra. It also would give PL a chance to work Babchuk and Melichar out with the rest of the team and get a feel for their capabilities. Who knows, it may be that Melichar is a step down from the despised Kaberle...

according to Luke DeCock we are $2mil over our self imposed cap.

none of our D are on two way contracts so moving one now makes sense.

according to Luke DeCock we are $2mil over our self impossed cap.
Right - but any "penalty" we pay for being over our budget will be over time and will be around having to deal with more players than slots, as opposed to taking penalties imposed by the league for being over their cap. My question was quasi-rhetorical since I don't know of any reason we have to dump a player before the end of preseason other than self-imposed ones. IMO the trade-off now for JR is do you trade now and get a low-level pick in return or hold on for a more desperate team and higher trade value and risk not being able to get rid of the excess...

I wouldn't be surprised if we head into the season with extra d-men, JR's taken that risk before (which is why Babchuk was sent down to the minors last time around, as I recall).

Right - but any "penalty" we pay for being over our budget will be over time and will be around having to deal with more players than slots, as opposed to taking penalties imposed by the league for being over their cap. My question was quasi-rhetorical since I don't know of any reason we have to dump a player before the end of preseason other than self-imposed ones. IMO the trade-off now for JR is do you trade now and get a low-level pick in return or hold on for a more desperate team and higher trade value and risk not being able to get rid of the excess...

I wouldn't be surprised if we head into the season with extra d-men, JR's taken that risk before (which is why Babchuk was sent down to the minors last time around, as I recall).

but there is no one on the roster we can send down to get to the magic 23.

but there is no one on the roster we can send down to get to the magic 23.
But the magic 23 doesn't apply until just before the end of preseason. And although none of the d can be sent down, some of the forwards can. I'm just pointing out that JR doesn't have to make a trade until sometime in September.

Now that I think about it, it would also give him a chance to showcase players to other teams during the preseason...

But the magic 23 doesn't apply until just before the end of preseason. And although none of the d can be sent down, some of the forwards can. I'm just pointing out that JR doesn't have to make a trade until sometime in September.

Now that I think about it, it would also give him a chance to showcase players to other teams during the preseason...

none of the forwards have a two way contract, so anyone we send down would have to clear waivers (both ways). and do we really want to pay any of our forwards their NHL pay to play at the AHL level?

none of the forwards have a two way contract, so anyone we send down would have to clear waivers (both ways). and do we really want to pay any of our forwards their NHL pay to play at the AHL level?
Unless I'm missing something (which is why I was bringing this up, because I very well may be :P), there are 21 players under contract right now not counting Hamilton and Tanabe since they only count against the cap not on the roster, and not counting Sutter who does have a 2-way contract. So adding Sutter and LaRose means JR can squeak in under the the limit, even if no trade is made. And still have an extra forward in case of injury.

Just thought I'd throw this out there. Since Ottawa signed Smith, I don't see them vying over Kaberle anymore.

However, both Kings fans and Flyer fans have shown an interest in him. Kings need a defenseman to stay the course until their young players gain some more experience, and some have said they'd love to have him back. Flyer fans are hit or miss. Depends on what we ask for for Kaberle.