The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
RonnieFranchise

Building Through The Draft

Hopefully, with the last few drafts we'll be able to see some of our picks come to fruition. I'm pretty excited about Bowman, Boychuk and Dalpe. Hopefully one of them, if not all three, will be ready for the NHL by the time the Whitney and Walker contracts expire. If they are ready, that will save us some serious coin and greatly increase our chances of keeping our better players.

I'm hoping that JR sticks to a core of Staal, Williams, Eaves, Sutter and Ruutu up front, with Gleason and Pitkanen on the back-end. And I almost forgot Ward. These guys will probably be the big money-makers in 2 to 3 seasons, and unfortunately, we probably will not have the depth we have now. Hopefully Sutter will be groomed as Brindy's heir. I could see Whitney being replaced by Boychuk. And Dalpe could possibly step in on the wings if we lose one of our core. Then we still have somewhat decent depth with Bowman, Dodge, Chaput and Blanchard. It looks like Borer may be a possible top4 d-man in a few seasons. It'd be amazing if we could actually develop our own d-men. Think of how much $$ could be saved if one of Mcbain, Borer or Carson becomes a fixture in our top-4.

I can say that after the past two drafts, I definitely feel a whole lot better about our prospects...

I agree meckcountycane. The draft is an important part of hockey, and lately we seem to be doing much better than usual in the later rounds. The only thing is if you go to most sites dealing with the rankings of prospects the Canes are generally ranked in the bottom 5 :o

Let's not forget our past draft picks.... these are just our first rounders

1997: Nikos Tselios (22nd overall) 'I think the Canes only signed him 'cause he was related to Chelios.

1998: Jeff Heerema (11th overall) ^

1999: David Tanabe (16th overall) Spotty..

2000: none

2001: Igor Knyazev (15th overall) Didn't even play in the NHL, did he??

2002: Cam Ward (25th overall) #1 Goaltender for our team... for now

2003: Eric Staal (2nd overall) Face of our Franchise

2004: Andrew Ladd (4th overall) Amounted to a top 6 forward, then traded for Ruutu who is another 1st rounder

2005: Jack Johnson (3rd overall) Won't even go there...

2006: none

2007: Brandon Sutter (11th overall) Probable 4th line center

2008: Zach Boychuk (14th overall) Looks good

IMO, Our scouting sucked for a while. Before Cam Ward for those couple of years... and that was only the 1st round, who's suppose to be your top prospect of that draft year! I believe we have a new face doing the job, so hopefully things are going well.

So yeah, you have good scouting, you can draft some good players. Wallin, Cole, and Vasicek were the only ones to make it and stay in the NHL, imo. You have others who've been called up, played a while, but couldn't stay... Borer hopefully will stick around with us. I like the kid.

Let's not forget our past draft picks.... these are just our first rounders

1997: Nikos Tselios (22nd overall) 'I think the Canes only signed him 'cause he was related to Chelios.

1998: Jeff Heerema (11th overall) ^

1999: David Tanabe (16th overall) Spotty..

2000: none

2001: Igor Knyazev (15th overall) Didn't even play in the NHL, did he??

2002: Cam Ward (25th overall) #1 Goaltender for our team... for now

2003: Eric Staal (2nd overall) Face of our Franchise

2004: Andrew Ladd (4th overall) Amounted to a top 6 forward, then traded for Ruutu who is another 1st rounder

2005: Jack Johnson (3rd overall) Won't even go there...

2006: none

2007: Brandon Sutter (11th overall) Probable 4th line center

2008: Zach Boychuk (14th overall) Looks good

IMO, Our scouting sucked for a while. Before Cam Ward for those couple of years... and that was only the 1st round, who's suppose to be your top prospect of that draft year! I believe we have a new face doing the job, so hopefully things are going well.

So yeah, you have good scouting, you can draft some good players. Wallin, Cole, and Vasicek were the only ones to make it and stay in the NHL, imo. You have others who've been called up, played a while, but couldn't stay... Borer hopefully will stick around with us. I like the kid.

Amen.

Our spotty drafting goes all the way back to Hartford days. It's still to early to tell, but it seems like our scouting may be getting better. Or maybe they were just always scouting other teams, so JR could make an amazing trade for some unknown player. Who knows?

The draft and the development of prospects is, without a doubt, the greatest weakness of Rutherford as a general manager.

Maybe Brandon Sutter and Zach Boychuk will start a new trend of successes.

The draft and the development of prospects is, without a doubt, the greatest weakness of Rutherford as a general manager.

While the drafting of first round prospects was probably JR's weakness, his track record since 2002 has been pretty good. Drafting players has a lot to do with the scouts and arguably how the general manager uses their draft picks to improve the team. His track record looks considerably better overall when you include trades that he made with some of the drafted players.

I don't just look at the first round, gotta look at all the rounds, thats why detroit is good. First round can get overrated at times.

However, if Ladd and Jack Johnson turn out to be all-stars, I guess that counts as good drafting, but just bad managing for trading them away? also vice versa if its the other way around?

No question we have to put a priority on the draft for the simple fact the canes are a small budget team and have to have a solid farm system.Just icing on the cake for teams like detroit to have a good draft as they say the rich get richer.

Detriot should be the model for every NHL Franchise. People may say their signing of Hossa is another example of a failed salary cap, but it is more an indication of their ability to scout and develop players. Several of their starters are mid to late round draft picks:

Zetterburg - 7th (2.9M)

Holmstrom - 10th (2.25)

Franzen - 3rd (1.15M)

Datsyuk - 6th (6.7M)

Samuelsson - 5th by San Jose (1.2M)

Because of Detriots ability to develop this talent they can have players like this being underpaid before they reach free agency allowing them to sign Hossa.

Detriot should be the model for every NHL Franchise. People may say their signing of Hossa is another example of a failed salary cap, but it is more an indication of their ability to scout and develop players. Several of their starters are mid to late round draft picks:

Zetterburg - 7th (2.9M)

Holmstrom - 10th (2.25)

Franzen - 3rd (1.15M)

Datsyuk - 6th (6.7M)

Samuelsson - 5th by San Jose (1.2M)

Because of Detriots ability to develop this talent they can have players like this being underpaid before they reach free agency allowing them to sign Hossa.

It should be noted that while Detroit is a model of consistency, all of the players noted above are from overseas. This has more to do with the fact that their European scouts are the best in the business. A lot of European players also have more time to develop as they are not rushed here and some play professionally there first. Detroit made a conscience decision to do this after years of having to draft late, because usually most of the other teams scouting in Europe was minimal. The other teams are now catching up.

Golly, I hope so. Michal Jordon and Murphy too hopefully ;)

Well, really just Jordan simply because of his name lol

i can see a Ward - Murphy tandem in the future.. Ward will be a good veteran goalie while Murphy gets experience.. then come playoff time Murphy takes over then leads us to the Stanley cup in his rookie season winning the conn smythe :P i can dream can't i? lol

We have had some good picks with our mid round guys. A good example is Cole, 3rd round pick developed into a top 6 forward. Lately we've been doing better with our picks.

Yeah, we have done better... but original poster was comparing our draft picks to others... our earlier draft picks sucked, and now I believe we're doing better. Besides Cole, Vasicek, Wallin.. who else can you think of that stands out? I think I'm missing someone else too...

Anyway, we've turned it around and we're starting to draft better in the later rounds.

IMO, Borer and Carson will be on our blue line next season. If Melichar, Babchuk, and or Seids doesn't come back, I could definitely see those 2 up there next season, if not this season, if we have any injuries.

Manzato.. I dunno... we have Cam and Leights. He might not get to shine here for a while (if we don't have any injuries that is)

Non 1st round draft picks

2004: Justin Peters, Casey Borer, Brett Carson, Magnus Akerland, Ryan Pottruff, Jonas Fiedler, Martin Vagner

2005: Jakub Vojta, Ondrej Otcenas, Timothy Kunes, Risto Korhonen, Kyle Lawson

2006: Jamie McBain, Harrison Reed, Stefan Chaput, Nick Dodge, Justin Krueger

2007: Drayson Bowman, Justin McCrae, Chris Terry, Brett Bellemore

Some of them we know who/where they are... what happened to the rest?? I noticed on the Camp thread that some of these names appeared in camp. Did some of them just not want to continue a career in hockey, or are still in school, go back to their native country, etc etc..

Non 1st round draft picks

2004: Justin Peters, Casey Borer, Brett Carson, Magnus Akerland, Ryan Pottruff, Jonas Fiedler, Martin Vagner

2005: Jakub Vojta, Ondrej Otcenas, Timothy Kunes, Risto Korhonen, Kyle Lawson

2006: Jamie McBain, Harrison Reed, Stefan Chaput, Nick Dodge, Justin Krueger

2007: Drayson Bowman, Justin McCrae, Chris Terry, Brett Bellemore

Some of them we know who/where they are... what happened to the rest?? I noticed on the Camp thread that some of these names appeared in camp. Did some of them just not want to continue a career in hockey, or are still in school, go back to their native country, etc etc..

I want someone on the team named Magnus... thats just a cool name.

I dont think we drafted Conboy but here is a great interview with him posted today (sorry if this is elsewhere):

First of all, I want to say congratulations on your recent contract renewal. It