The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TheWizard

Does Canes Internal Salary Cap Spell Doom?

Even though there are still teams spending to the cap ceiling, and some teams spending less, those teams can still compete with those teams spending to the cap, unlike before. In all honesty I think JR has done a great job on bringing in skilled guys and getting them signed to reasonable contracts. Part of getting these guys to sign cheaper than they are worth is due to the organization. Every single guy on this team speaks very highly of the organization. Cole says JR has an open door policy, so if there are any issues, the player can go to JR and speak to him directly rather go through the agent. Ruutu, only here for 3 months and yet he's telling Pitkanen the organization is great and they want to win. I do have to give JR props for being loyal to his players. It shows and it wants players to stay here. Do you think Boyle will ever go back to Tampa the way they treated him? Weight back to St Louis?, etc. Not to mention JR doesn't throw a player under the bus after he gets traded, ie. KLowe, Murray.

I think this says alot about our JR. I know nothing about trading but it does seem weird that other teams spend SOOO much money compared to others. I seriously think that our canes are going to be great this year. And to hear that players like Ruutu, who haven't been part of the team long, are saying things like that about our hockey team. Canes fans.....be ready come opening night! It's "BANNER TIME!" (Hey, that could be the new ad tag line!!!!! Get it banners in the rafters?? LOL!) :lol::lol::lol:

Jesus people, calm down. I just said CLT is a viable option.....

Now, what bothers me is that the Canes internal cap seems to keep dropping further below the NHL cap. I have to admit ole JR is doing a heck of a job with the money Karmanos gives him.

But Charlotte really isn't a viable option, not from a business standpoint for all the reasons listed. In Charlotte the team would be "just another pro team" which doesn't translate into butts in seats. On numerous occasions PK and JR have both stated that they love the "unique" environment they have in Raleigh. Charlotte was studied thoroughly before the team came here and was voted down. If they move from here it will be out of state and only if PK sells the team. He has too sweet a deal on the arena!!

It isn't how much money you spend in the cap era but how wisely!! JR has done a great job!

The cap is determine by the league and is based on revenue, as revenue goes higher the cap raises like wise if revenue drops then the cap drops.

Profit isn't a dirty word and, like any business, the Canes need to make on to stay in business. It is a matter of revenue minus expenses. Just adding expensive talent doesn't mean that more fans will be drawn to the RBC Center. What will draw fans is playing winning hockey and consistently making the playoffs. How to acheive this goal is the reason JR and the Canes coaching staff make the big bucks. Their job is to motivate the players who make the really big bucks to play with those who make the smaller bucks in such a way it forms a winning team.

It's our job as fans who pay through the nose for tickets, parking, apparel, and concessions to come out and cheer for the team.

Profit isn't a dirty word and, like any business, the Canes need to make on to stay in business. It is a matter of revenue minus expenses. Just adding expensive talent doesn't mean that more fans will be drawn to the RBC Center. What will draw fans is playing winning hockey and consistently making the playoffs. How to acheive this goal is the reason JR and the Canes coaching staff make the big bucks. Their job is to motivate the players who make the really big bucks to play with those who make the smaller bucks in such a way it forms a winning team.

It's our job as fans who pay through the nose for tickets, parking, apparel, and concessions to come out and cheer for the team.

I've got to disagree a little bit. If I owned a professional sports franchise; I do so because I love the sport and am not in it to make a buck. If PK truely loves the game of hockey, he should put the best team out there that he can(within reason).

IMO the only reason PK would want to make money off this is because he wants to increase the club's value if he ever wanted to sell/move it. Which in some ways kind of worries me when after each year we have to hear about how much the team lost. To me that is like they are telling the fans "We lost money...please spend more". If PK does not plan on selling/moving the team...it's not something that I am interested in knowing or even care about. Does knowing this information increase/decrease our fan base?

That being said I really do agree with the self impossed salary cap. Just because the salary cap ceiling keeps getting higher and higher; does that mean we need to keep pace at a certain percentage of what the cap is? It's not our team(physical ownership) and PK can decide how much he wants to spend for players. He just needs to find a good balance of how much to spend to put butts in the seats. If spending 80% versus 100% of the cap does not gain attendence, why would he want to spend that 20% extra?

I personally think a better TV package needs to be put into place and the partner needs to be more readily available; may be FOX or something. Though I do enjoy my 3rd Rock From The Sun and Darhma and Greg reruns!

no matter how much money PK has, should he be expected to lose millions every year for "the love of the sport". he has often said that he isn't looking for a profit, just to break even.

the league to me has been the major problem with getting a decent tv package. if the NHL could tap into that the way MLB and NFL have then we wouldn't have teams losing money.

I don't smell even a hint of selfishness here. :rolleyes: No offense, but, you come off as not really caring about the future of the Canes, but only care if they move to Charlotte. Whether or not either of those statements are true, that's how you're coming off, and it's offensive to me.

Edit: My suspicions were confirmed when I look at the other posts you've made. It seems every 3 posts you make somehow makes mention of your desire for the Canes to move to Charlotte. This thread is nothing more than you trying to cast doubt on the team's future in Raleigh when really you have no such concern; you just want them to be closer to you. This tells me you don't truly care about the Canes. I don't see any members from Fayetteville, Eastern NC, the Triad, or even OTHER STATES starting a campaign (read: buy into a pipe dream) that the Canes will move closer to them. :rolleyes:

YEAH!!! Bring them back to Greensboro!!! Go Triad! *sarcasm warning*

YEAH!!! Bring them back to Greensboro!!! Go Triad! *sarcasm warning*

That would make a lot more sense than Charlotte.

As much as I would love to have the Canes down here in Charlotte, it will never happen as long as the lame Bobcats are here. We are not big enough for three teams (four if you count NASCAR). There's only so much corporate cash to go around and if you've watched any news lately, you know the banks are floundering. I'd have to agree with the post that commented that if the Canes left, they'd leave the region, which I hope never happens. I think Raleigh is a perfect fit for them; the love that city has with them is similar to what we had here way back when with the Hornets. Let's not count out the Canes or the Raleigh market, yet.

Who decides on what the salary cap is? The new folks down in TB that came in with all the $$$ (producers)...is that how they bought all those high priced players?

I thought they were going to renovate the old Rockingham raceway for the Hurricanes?? JUST KIDDING!!! :P

GO CANES!!! BRING HOME A BANNER OR 2 OR 3!!!!!!!!

1) It is determined by a % of the league revunes.

2) TB had a cap hit last year of only $43M, 7M less than the Canes so they hadmore room to start with.

3) TB traded Boyle(3.6M), got rid of Richards(7.8M) and let Marc(2.3M) go. So they freed up even more room.

4) Who did they really sign? Lecavalier was already on the team, so I don't see where that helps them more than last year. Malone, Carle and Vrbata may be good signings, but other than that, everyone they got is on the downside of the career - Roberts(42), Recchi(38), Kolzip(38). In their signings they have really neglected their defense. Other than their top pairing it is very short on experience and talent.

1) It is determined by a % of the league revunes.

2) TB had a cap hit last year of only $43M, 7M less than the Canes so they hadmore room to start with.

3) TB traded Boyle(3.6M), got rid of Richards(7.8M) and let Marc(2.3M) go. So they freed up even more room.

4) Who did they really sign? Lecavalier was already on the team, so I don't see where that helps them more than last year. Malone, Carle and Vrbata may be good signings, but other than that, everyone they got is on the downside of the career - Roberts(42), Recchi(38), Kolzip(38). In their signings they have really neglected their defense. Other than their top pairing it is very short on experience and talent.

Boyle's contract is for 6.667.

Boyle's contract is for 6.667.

His contract for this year is 6.667, but I was using his numbers last year since that was what I was subtracting from their Cap.

Jesus people, calm down. I just said CLT is a viable option.....

Now, what bothers me is that the Canes internal cap seems to keep dropping further below the NHL cap. I have to admit ole JR is doing a heck of a job with the money Karmanos gives him.

Do some research please. Look at teams salary on nhlnumbers.com or hockeybuzz.com and look at where the canes are to other teams. You comment does not hold water and when you talk about CLT being a much bigger market, the Triangle metro is 1.65M with CLT at 2.1M total market. Yes, bigger but not that much bigger especially when looking at other factors. For TV market, the market is NC and even SC. Not just Raleigh. Not to mention avg salary is higher in Raleigh/Triangle vs CLT by about $4K and when talking about corp $$, Charlotte is strong but just look at the Bobcats and what they gave up just to get TWC to sign. Get the Bobcats out of trouble and then look at baseball. That is about 15 years off.

I like Charlotte and think it is a great city but not spending to the salary cap is WHAT WILL keep the Canes here in Raleigh, not hurt it. Again, just look at other teams salaries. Do some research!!!!

the Bobcats are a completely differetn argument as i have stated before. Noone wanted them in the first place. Lets not even get into the management of the team. As for baseball, their financial structure will doom baseball in Charlotte before it even starts.

the Bobcats are a completely different argument as i have stated before. No one wanted them in the first place. Lets not even get into the management of the team. As for baseball, their financial structure will doom baseball in Charlotte before it even starts.

So your argument would be that given that Canes ownerships is more successful then they should move to Charlotte? They studied that, it was a no go so why would they need to look at that again? Sure they would gain you as a fan who will now be able to easily attend games but it would put them back at square one building a fan base unless you think all of us here will make the three hour trek 41 times a season.