The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
max

Empty Seats And Corporate Suites: The NHL's Worst Home Crowds

Like they always say opinions are like **edit** everyone has one!!

So we don't pack them in every night, big deal!

The fans that do go are dedicated and loud.

I just wonder how many games this guy has attended at RBC.

Just my opinion ;)

john

He claims to be a die hard Leafs fan so I doubt that he actually has ever been to a Canes game.

He also wrote a similar article listing the top 10 best Home Crowds where he included Columbus at 10th despite being 28th in attendance. :rolleyes:

Anyone can write for Bleacher report. Id check to see who wrote the piece from which fanbase before Id pay it any attention.

Judging from the "low angle camera shots to hide thousands of empty seats" comment, its obvious this loser hasnt attended a Canes game since back in the Greensboro days... his opinion is worthless....

He is a Maple Leaf's fan who looks like he's twelve-years-old. I don't see how this article can lead to anything good on the Hurricanes' discussion board.

what a clown...plus, he has the leafs on the list too. that should send the credibility down the tube-hole.

EDIT: but if the canes had $9-per-game season ticket prices, id be all up over that 24- game package, instead of bowing out of my 10-gamer [now 12] from last year. but thats a college budget.

1) he has never been to any games at the RBC

2) I think he is confusing us with the panthers with the low angle camera shot.

3) it looks like some 10 year old with nothing better to do with his summer.

:P

This guy is a total retard.

IMO the order should be

5. Boston, Washington, Chicago, New Jersey - They all have been relatively low they are all equally bad.

4. St. Louis - Teams Hasn't Been Good For Years. More of a baseball town.

3. Phoenix - To Hot For Hockey! Seriously look at the demographics. Mexicans don't like hockey.

2. NY Islanders - Not NY favorite team sorry to say. That place is pretty empty.

1. Florida - I've seen those games on TV there is no one there. More people on their forum then at the game.

If you see the pattern. Most to ALL of these teams haven't won a cup ever or in a couple of years.

They are in droughts.

Best Crowds

5. Minnesota and Buffalo - Nothing but hockey

4. Detroit - They Win Games

3. Ottawa - It's Canada

2. Calgary - Overall a good crowded hockey town (nothing else to do?)

1. Montreal - The Real Hockey Town

Eh, he even admits to never having been to the RBC Center and that he bases it all off of what he's read elsewhere and what he's seen on TV. (For the record I don't think what you see on TV always does the Canes justice, because they show the bottom rows which are not always full, and almost never show the upper decks which are always jam-packed.)

There's so much written about the Canes that is totally invalid and just made-up to make the Canes look like a total failure outside of the Canes local media that it's no wonder so many people in other places think what they do. If some of these people would actually go to a game rather than basing articles on their biases, maybe we wouldn't be seeing this happen so much.

Not to mention the fact that there is info on the different rules of hockey being on the Canes website makes our fanbase a bad one? Every team should, including every single one in Canada. Not every Canadian knows the rules of hockey. I watched some of the 02 Canes run with a friend from Canada and had to explain the various rules to them, including "offside".

As far as it goes, I am annoyed when I go to a half empty tuesday night game that they try to claim is a sell-out, but thats a different issue entirely.. i understand several clubs have been skewered on TV for this (maybe including the Canes) when all the tickets are sold but people dont show up. For someone who sits at home to watch on TV, or someone who was told the game was sold out and is not a STH.. this is very annoying.

Totally not related to this guys pointless jabs at teams he doesnt like, but still a valid issue.

Also, to the crack about Hockey 101... the fans have to learn the game from somewhere don't they? Sorry we dont grow up in Canada where people are fed hockey out of a jar (and only 3 canadian teams in the NHL.. hmmm go figure)... I didnt become a super rabid fan until I bunked with a NC State hockey player in college and he taught me all the ins and outs of the game. You get bored after a while with just cheering for the home team.. but when you can watch the game and see the strategies develop and almost anticipate which guy is gonna get the puck next, that keeps you on the edge of your seat for a whole game.

I found it to be dumb also when I saw the Canes on there also. That was why I posted it. Because I know bleacherreport is stupid but I thought it that reporter who ever he is put Carolina on there.

Anyone can write for Bleacher report. Id check to see who wrote the piece from which fanbase before Id pay it any attention.

Bingo.

I don't understand why he put "corporate suites" in the title of this blog post because he doesn't even talk about the Canes' corporate sponsorship. I was expecting to click on the link and read some insightful information and was expecting the Canes to be on the list because of our admittedly poor corporate sponsorship. Instead, it's a kid posting a baseless, subjective opinion about "empty seats" when the fact of the matter is, during the 07-08 season, the Hurricanes had a higher average attendance percentage than 11 other teams in the NHL.

Just for the record, the Canes' home average attendance for 07-08 was 88.8%, FLA came in last barely breaking the 80% mark. source: http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/attendance?sort=home_pct&year=2008)' target="_blank">http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/attendance?s...&year=2008[/post]

Opinions are based on facts to some degree and this kid based his opinion on thin air. If he actually backed his opinion up with anything he might have a point. But, he didn't back up anything he said, so his opinion means squat.

Move along...

3. Phoenix - To Hot For Hockey! Seriously look at the demographics. Mexicans don't like hockey.

Been to Phoenix lately?

That article wasn't very good because the author's mom needed the computer to play Sudoku and to check her AOL e-mail so he didn't have a chance to go back and make it not so full of nonsense.

owned.

Reasons why the fans dont suck:

1. Tailgating (from what I hear plenty of arenas DO NOT do this)

2. Chants ("goalie you suck" and "cheaters never win" and of course "lets go canes")

3. A sea of jerseys

4. The dancin granny! (Come on, who else has one of these? Detroit has Mo Cheese but he just looks like every other fan who's had too much to drink)

5. Knowledge of the players (I'd say most of the fans know A LOT about the team.)

What else would you add?

The guy is a maple laffs fan... his opinion is irrelevant. And I don't like how he mocks our web site for explaining offsides and icing. How else are fans supposed to learn the game? He's canadian, and as such has known the rules of the game since childhood almost by default (just like everyone knows the rules to baseball in the US). There's nothing wrong with not knowing the rules to a game that is not native to your country and is not even considered popular. If we're going to grow the game we need to tell the newbies the rules. Is he really stupid enough to expect people from around here to know hockey like they do in Canada? Apparently so.

That kid looks young, I'm guessing this is a blogging type site, and he made no money for this article so i wouldn't take it too seriously.