The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
bigbander

Your chance to play GM...

Another potential deal that makes sense would be Cole to the Predators for Klein and their second first-round draft pick (#15 overall). Klein is a NHL-caliber offensive defenseman who has been forced to the press box due to various circumstances in Nashville. That second first-round pick could either be used to select a prospect or packaged with our first-round draft pick to move up and pick another defenseman.

I like that line of thought...

Another potential deal that makes sense would be Cole to the Predators for Klein and their second first-round draft pick (#15 overall). Klein is a NHL-caliber offensive defenseman who has been forced to the press box due to various circumstances in Nashville. That second first-round pick could either be used to select a prospect or packaged with our first-round draft pick to move up and pick another defenseman.

Agree. Klein isn't a bad option at all to have on our blue line. He's no Suter, but we really couldn't get Suter with Cole anyway and especially now that he's signed.

If were trading Cole, we need to add a pick/prospect or whatever it takes to get a top pairing defenseman. We can't just add depth defenseman and hope to improve our D. We need two top 4 defenseman. If we move up, then draft a defenseman, which JR said he doesn't like to do, then we have Corvo, Gleason, Klein, Kaberle, Wallin and still need one more defenseman. Not quite the improvement on defense that we need. We need to make a trade worthwhile if we're trading one of our top 6 forwards.

If were trading Cole, we need to add a pick/prospect or whatever it takes to get a top pairing defenseman. We can't just add depth defenseman and hope to improve our D. We need two top 4 defenseman. If we move up, then draft a defenseman, which JR said he doesn't like to do, then we have Corvo, Gleason, Klein, Kaberle, Wallin and still need one more defenseman. Not quite the improvement on defense that we need. We need to make a trade worthwhile if we're trading one of our top 6 forwards.

That would be the line of thought if we didn't have someone prepared to take the place of that top-six forward, which we do in Ruutu. That makes it alot easier to trade Cole as we don't have to acquire exact value in return, although it would be nice. Also, with that #15 draft pick Rutherford now has the option to make some type of deal with a team like Columbus where the #14 and #15 pick could be packaged together to move the team up into the top ten and in position to draft one of the NHL-ready defenseman in this year's draft.

Klein may not be the #1 defenseman everyone wants to see in Carolina, but he is just the type of under-the-radar type player that Rutherford always seems to gravitate towards.

That would be the line of thought if we didn't have someone prepared to take the place of that top-six forward, which we do in Ruutu. That makes it alot easier to trade Cole as we don't have to acquire exact value in return, although it would be nice. Also, with that #15 draft pick Rutherford now has the option to make some type of deal with a team like Columbus where the #14 and #15 pick could be packaged together to move the team up into the top ten and in position to draft one of the NHL-ready defenseman in this year's draft.

Klein may not be the #1 defenseman everyone wants to see in Carolina, but he is just the type of under-the-radar type player that Rutherford always seems to gravitate towards.

A very good point JJ....and there's still free agency and other nice young d-men out there. There are also teams who need to shed some salary to sign other players they want (San Jose comes to mind)...if we ended up w/two 1st round picks or a 1st rounder and two second round picks, some combination of those picks could be used to get the d-man that we need (Bieksa, Ehrhoff, or others mentioned on the board - although Vancouver wants scoring now, not necessarily picks for th future - but again they could package the picks to fill their needs too). If we get good young talent back, then trading the draft picks won't hurt quite as much....

With trades talk shifting from Cole to Williams, what about bringing in Frank's brother, Tomas. Williams and T. Kaberle's contracts are both relative bargains...there impact is about the same in value. Certainly, it's a much better proposal than anything built around Pitkanen. Thoughts?

John Michael Liles is an unrestricted free agent. If we could sign him and package Borer or Seidenberg a pick and Whitney to get Kevin Beiska our defense would be outstanding next year.

Gleason-Beiska

Liles-Corvo

Kaberle-Carson/Seidenberg/Borer/Wallin

What about Andrej Meszaros? I'm not too familiar with him, but I remember his name popping up when the Corvo'n'Eaves for Stiller'n'Commie trade happened. Him and Anton Volchenkov. I think he's a restricted free agent, but made over 900k. So how much of a raise, I don't know. Anton makes about 2.2 and 3.2 the next to years.

Whats your info?

(I had another dream and the name Andrej was in it and looked sorta like Commie with the 'fro. Only person I could think of was Andrej Meszaros. So I hope we're not getting Commie back.)

Cole for Bieksa or Pitkanen straight up.

Justin Williams is too valuable all around for us to trade IMO.

I honestly don't think Whitney or Ruutu will give us the same return.

Erik Cole is one of the classiest guys I've ever met and super hockey talent but TEAM comes first.

Sounds like Pitkanen would be tougher of the 2 to get.http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/edm080620.html

sign Rozsival in FA

Trade Cole for Meszaros and pick

Trade that pick and Ruutu to the Pens for J. Staal

never happen but that would be a sweet team. definitely could get Roz in FA, but i dont know that the Sens can afford Cole and Pens arent going to trade Staal just yet.

Staal-Staal-Williams

Whitney-Cullen-Eaves

Samsonov-Brindy-Walker

Larose-Hordichuk

d of

Gleason-Mes

Corvo-Rosival

Wallin-Kaberle

Seids

sign Rozsival in FA

Trade Cole for Meszaros and pick

Trade that pick and Ruutu to the Pens for J. Staal

never happen but that would be a sweet team. definitely could get Roz in FA, but i dont know that the Sens can afford Cole and Pens arent going to trade Staal just yet.

Staal-Staal-Williams

Whitney-Cullen-Eaves

Samsonov-Brindy-Walker

Larose-Hordichuk

d of

Gleason-Mes

Corvo-Rosival

Wallin-Kaberle

Seids

That would be cool, but like you said would never happen. You never know though, I don't think Pittsburgh can hold on to all three of Staal, Malkin and Crosby. I think they'll have to pick 2 of them eventually and I don't see them getting rid of Crosby, so it's either Staal or Malkin. And with Malkin saying he would take less money so the Penguins could get better players would lead me to believe they'd keep him too. This could possibly mean that Staal might not be with them in a few years.

I just think the Pens know that Staal will sign for a pretty penny wherever he goes. And they will be able to fetch more out of him letting some other team give him an offer sheet than they would via trade. Plus, I dont see him getting moved before the end of next season because im sure the Pens will be in the playoff race again next year.

what about, just speaking in terms of forwards, after trades...

whitney eaves staal brindy williams cullen walker samsonov

whitney-staal-samsonov

cullen-brind'amour-williams

eaves-sutter-walker

and thats with both cole AND ruutu gone, should be we go the double trade route [say for pitkanen and bieksa]

then for defensmen

gleason wallin kaberle seidenberg bieksa pitkanen corvo

gleason-bieksa

corvo-kaberle

pitkanen-seidenberg

my another option would be to keep ruutu or cole, leave sutter down, and sign liles.

I dont know that Cole and Ruutu can be traded because we need a big body forward that can score. I dont know that Sutter will be with the team come next fall. I can see one trade and then a FA signing, Rozsival/Liles.

I dont know that Cole and Ruutu can be traded because we need a big body forward that can score. I dont know that Sutter will be with the team come next fall. I can see one trade and then a FA signing, Rozsival/Liles.

i would prefer this too, just thinking along a different path JR could take. but again, i do agree with you...i really really want rozsival.

I personally think that it's a sly chance for the Canes to trade Williams right now, unless it's going for like Crosby or someone (totally unlikely). He was having a great season before his injury, and with him coming back roughly at the last second just proves that maybe he pushed himself a little much and that he'll be really ready for next season.

Cole on the other hand is another sly chance right now, during the offseason, due to his magnificant play after the all-star break. If either is traded, it'll be during the season, not in the offseason.

Right now I just hope JR signs Larose, Seids, Nolan, Letowski, Hordichuk, and Conboy. Give Ruutu a good offer. Trade Cole for a defenseman

Samsonov-Staal-Williams

Whitney-Cullen-Eaves

Larose-Brindy-Walker

Hordichuk-Letowski

Gleason-Trade

Corvo-Kaberle

Wallin-Rozsival

Seids

then if ruutu accepts the offer because noone else will give him the offer he is looking for then, we have more depth. If not we are going to get a couple more picks in the draft.

(updated after some retirements and signs elsewhere )

LW

Samsonov

LaRose

Ruttu

Bayda

Whitney "A"

C

Staal "A"

Cullen

Whitney

N. Kapanan <--------------NEW ADDITION

Brind'Amour "C"

RW

Aucoin

Cole

Walker

Williams

D

Corvo

? "A"

Liles <---------------NEW ADDITION

Conboy

Brookbank

?

Gleason "A"

Seidenberg

G

Ward

Leighton

I'd keep the Walker's line together line in tact

I'd drive home not to dump the puck so much...In the games that I saw, that they lost...it seemed they were not crashing the net.

I'd get rid of the HORRIBLE "Let's go Cane's" horn.

I'd keep Laviollette, I think he did a great job...the surge there at the end was great...injuries were a problem. NO soccer balls allowed!

I don't believe Conboy and Brookbank are to be regulars. I would try to obtain Bieska and Pitkanen (if not both, then one).

Gleason-Trade

Corvo-Kaberle

Wallin-Rozsival

Seids

Rozsival won't sign here to be a bottom-pair defenseman, nor would the salary it would take to sign him warrant a spot on the bottom-pair. If Rutherford plans to make any type of impact on the defense in free agency, any significant acquisition will instantly become the highest-paid defenseman on the roster. Guys like Liles and Rozsival won't sign anywhere for any less than $3 million a year and even that estimate may be too low.

Rozsival won't sign here to be a bottom-pair defenseman, nor would the salary it would take to sign him warrant a spot on the bottom-pair. If Rutherford plans to make any type of impact on the defense in free agency, any significant acquisition will instantly become the highest-paid defenseman on the roster. Guys like Liles and Rozsival won't sign anywhere for any less than $3 million a year and even that estimate may be too low.

you are correct. think 3 years at $10m could lure rozsival from nyr?

you are correct. think 3 years at $10m could lure rozsival from nyr?

If he were signed, I would imagine that's what the contract would look like. At that point, Rozsival would likely be slotted into the top-pair with Gleason and Rutherford's focus would/should switch to a defensive defenseman to pair with Corvo on the second-pair.

I would trade Ruutu and a 3rd round pick, or Whitney and a third round pick for Kevin Bieksa.

Re-sign Larose, Seidenberg, Hordichuk and Conboy.

Then i would sign JM Liles.

I would waive Nic Wallin.

Samsonov-Staal-Cole

(Ruutu/Whitney)-Cullen-Williams

Eaves-Brind`amour-Walker

Hordichuk-Sutter-Larose

Gleason-Bieksa

Corvo-Liles

Kaberle-Seidenberg

Extra`s= Hamilton, Conboy, Carson