The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
bigbander

Your chance to play GM...

I would trade Ruutu and a 3rd round pick, or Whitney and a third round pick for Kevin Bieksa.

Re-sign Larose, Seidenberg, Hordichuk and Conboy.

Then i would sign JM Liles.

I would waive Nic Wallin.

Samsonov-Staal-Cole

(Ruutu/Whitney)-Cullen-Williams

Eaves-Brind`amour-Walker

Hordichuk-Sutter-Larose

Gleason-Bieksa

Corvo-Liles

Kaberle-Seidenberg

Extra`s= Hamilton, Conboy, Carson

I hope we can re-sign Seidenberg. He was having a great year before his injury, he was one of our most solid defensemen. At the end of the year he was thrown on the PP, which he shouldn't have been, so people forgot that he was doing a great job before all of that. He would be fine as a 3rd pairing guy with Kaberle. Kaberle was kinda picking it up actually towards the end of the year, maybe he'll surprise us in camp and start hitting people. He did play injured at the end of the year and had surgery, so you never know, the 2005 Frank Kaberle could show up to camp this year. We need 2 top 4 defensemen, and one can be acquired through trade and the other through free agency. I know JR has said he doesn't want to get one that way, but I think if we go early and target a guy like Ron Hainsey who isn't one of the best guys out there, but still capable. We might even look at Commodore. I know I might get flamed for that, but part of the reason he was doing bad here was we were playing him in a role that he shouldn't have been in. He had to bring the offense from the blue line, but with Corvo and a possible top liner via trade here, he can settle in to a more defensive role and play fine on the 2nd pairing.

Our D could be something like this:

Gleason Bieksa

Corvo Commodore

Kaberle Siedenberg

with Wallin as the 7th d man.

Borer should either be playing every night or be in Albany, it would be very stupid to keep him in the press box.

Gleason-Bieksa

Corvo-Liles

Commodore-Seidenberg/Kaberle

would be a great D.

I dont really think we have room for sutter this year.It depends on larose and who is traded.

I think we should wait and give him a spot on the second or third line next year. Conboy brings energy, toughness, speed, and versatility to the fourth line.

Hordichuk-Larose-Conboy would be a very good line. Conboy could play defense if needed, and larose can always jump up to a higher line if someone needs a shift off.

Hey, what about JR trading Cole to Ottawa for Mezsaros(SP?), and signing Finger as a FA?

That leaves you (lines I'd like to see)

Samsonov - Staal - Walker

Whitney - Brindy - Williams

Ruutu - Cullen - Eaves (Grind Line Baby!)

Hordichuk - Letowski - Seidenberg (because I think Larose will hold out, and eventually be traded for a pick because he wants to be a solid NHLer)

Gleason - Corvo

Finger - Meszaros

Wallin - Kaberle

I think that's a pretty good make over of the D.

For what it's worth, it would appear that the depth chart on the website will be kept up-to-date throughout the offseason.

Currently, it looks like this:

Whitney / Staal / Cole

Samsonov / Brind'Amour / Williams

Ruutu / Cullen / Walker

LaRose / Letowski / Eaves

Wallin / Gleason

Kaberle / Corvo

Seidenberg / Conboy

Ward

Leighton

What about Adam Hall for the 4th line? I don't think he fights much but he has size and he's definitely a grinder with heart. He only made 525,000 last season with the pens and he's a UFA. He also scored 16 goals his rookie season. Could be a viable option if he's available on July 1st.

So according to Luke Decock, if the hurricanes keep their self-imposed salary cap, we have about 5 million to spare. We have AT LEAST 4 spots to fill (2 on the 4th line, 2 on defense)... So what do we do? Well, Lets say we trade cole for a defenseman and come out even. That fills one spot on defense but opens up another on offense. To fill Cole's place we move Eaves up to the 3rd line but now we have no forth line. For the sake of simplicity, lets assume We let Sutter play and resign Larose. Now we have one spot on the 4th line left and one on the defense and we have around 3.5-4 million left to spend. Put an enforcer on the 4th line (Gillies or some other cheap player... too bad Hordichuk didnt work out) and we are down to lets say 3 million. We could spend that all and get a pretty decent defenseman. OR we could spend about a million on resigning Seidenberg for a healthy scratch and then we are left at around 2 million. Assuming we actually have 2 million to spend, we should be able to end up fairly well off. All of this changes completely however if we make a multi-player trade. Does anyone know if Wallin has a no trade clause? Or is it just that no other teams want him?

So according to Luke Decock, if the hurricanes keep their self-imposed salary cap, we have about 5 million to spare. We have AT LEAST 4 spots to fill (2 on the 4th line, 2 on defense)... So what do we do? Well, Lets say we trade cole for a defenseman and come out even. That fills one spot on defense but opens up another on offense. To fill Cole's place we move Eaves up to the 3rd line but now we have no forth line. For the sake of simplicity, lets assume We let Sutter play and resign Larose. Now we have one spot on the 4th line left and one on the defense and we have around 3.5-4 million left to spend. Put an enforcer on the 4th line (Gillies or some other cheap player... too bad Hordichuk didnt work out) and we are down to lets say 3 million. We could spend that all and get a pretty decent defenseman. OR we could spend about a million on resigning Seidenberg for a healthy scratch and then we are left at around 2 million. Assuming we actually have 2 million to spend, we should be able to end up fairly well off. All of this changes completely however if we make a multi-player trade. Does anyone know if Wallin has a no trade clause? Or is it just that no other teams want him?

He has a no trade.

O.K. here it is. Place Kaberle on waivers, Send Cole to Vancouver for Raymond and a first round pick, send Samsonov and the rights to Babchuk to Jersey for Clarkson and Oduya, sign UFA Ehrhoff, and finally resign Larose and Seidenberg.It's that easy JR.

Whitney Staal Eaves

Ruutu Brindamour Williams

Larose Cullen Walker

Raymond Sutter Clarkson

Oduya Corvo

Seidenberg Gleason

Ehrhoff Wallin

Ward

Leighton

First off Ehrhoff is a rfa, so we won't be getting him. It is highly unlikely we will trade samsonov, and his contract is pretty cheap compared to our other forwards, I'll take it. I don't think that Vancouver would give us Raymond for Cole let alone Raymond and a first round draft pick. If we trade Cole it'll be for a good defenesman, not another forward. Oduya is not that good of a defenseman, and Clarkson is a 3rd line winger at best. I'll keep samsonov and Babchuk.

First off Ehrhoff is a rfa, so we won't be getting him. It is highly unlikely we will trade samsonov, and his contract is pretty cheap compared to our other forwards, I'll take it. I don't think that Vancouver would give us Raymond for Cole let alone Raymond and a first round draft pick. If we trade Cole it'll be for a good defenesman, not another forward. Oduya is not that good of a defenseman, and Clarkson is a 3rd line winger at best. I'll keep samsonov and Babchuk.

Darn I thought Ehrhoff was a UFA sorry. I think Vancouver are desparate enough for offense to give us Raymond and a first rounder for Cole. I think Oduya is a very underrated puck moving defenseman and he was a team best plus 27. Clarkson would give us some much needed toughness and this guy can play, maybe not on the top two lines but he isn't bad for a tough guy. Babchuk is a loose cannon and Samsonov has his contract now so I have little faith in either of them. We need to get younger in a hurry and I think this lineup would be great for Lavi's aggressive forechecking style of play

Samsonov Staal Williams - SPEED RACER - REAL FAST LINE

Whitney Brind'Amour Walker- 100% Skill and Talent

Bayda Cullen LaRose - Fast Wingers With A Great Puck Handling Center

Brookebank Ruutu Eaves - Two Enforcers with a fast right wing

Corvo Pitkanen - Fast Offensive Line

Gleason Seidenburg - Shut Down Line

Melichar Babchuk - European Flair

Kaberle Wallin - See who's left line haha replacements = Stormy/Conboy/Borer

And as we found out last year, he will not wave it.

I would think that would depend on where he would get traded to. Cory had one but thought Ottawa was a good possibility to get another ring. so i think it all boils down to who he would get traded to. I can see him saying no to Chicago, the Islanders, and most teams on the 10 worst list.

Per Luke as of this morning, Wallin has not been approached or asked if he would consider waiving his NTC if they found a taker. And Luke brought up a good point, after he already turned it down last year, would you really go there again? I think its looking more like Kaberle.

Per Luke as of this morning, Wallin has not been approached or asked if he would consider waiving his NTC if they found a taker. And Luke brought up a good point, after he already turned it down last year, would you really go there again? I think its looking more like Kaberle.

Yep but I would think it would depend on where he was going last year as opposed to this year. Kabs would be my first choice simply because of his $2.2mil price tag.

Well, just like it looks right now, I could think about a lineup like this...

Ruutu - Staal - Williams (just as it's been said that Tuomo could step up to replace Colesy)

Samsonov - Brind'Amour - Eaves

Whitney - Cullen - Walker

(4th line as available...maybe Bayda, Rosie, Brookbank)

Pitkanen - Gleason

Corvo - Seidenberg

Kaberle - Babchuk