The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
bigbander

Your chance to play GM...

I think Cullen should be moved. Sutter will not be getting any better in Red Deer or by fighting with Bayda for the 12th forward spot.

I like Cullen but we need to make room for Sutter. During close games, Staal and Brindy could double shift on his line if needed. Dropping him and Kaberle would drop 5 mil in salary and 5.07 in cap space. Re-sign letowski for a 13th forward.

pretty good lines

Samsonov-Staal-Williams

Whitney-Brindy-Walker

Ruutu-Sutter-Eaves

Bayda-Rosie-Brookbank

Reserve- letowski

Pitkanen-Gleason

Babchuk-Corvo

Wallin-Seids

reserve-melichar

with the 5 mil in dropped salary. JR can afford to sign Seids, Babs, Staal, and Ruutu longterm.

Cullen is not that easily replaced, we still don't know how Sutter will do, that's why he's playing on the 4th line. Also, LaRose is not a real option for 4th line center, we would have to sign/trade for another one.

I think Cullen should be moved. Sutter will not be getting any better in Red Deer or by fighting with Bayda for the 12th forward spot.

I like Cullen but we need to make room for Sutter. During close games, Staal and Brindy could double shift on his line if needed. Dropping him and Kaberle would drop 5 mil in salary and 5.07 in cap space. Re-sign letowski for a 13th forward.

pretty good lines

Samsonov-Staal-Williams

Whitney-Brindy-Walker

Ruutu-Sutter-Eaves

Bayda-Rosie-Brookbank

Reserve- letowski

Pitkanen-Gleason

Babchuk-Corvo

Wallin-Seids

reserve-melichar

with the 5 mil in dropped salary. JR can afford to sign Seids, Babs, Staal, and Ruutu longterm.

Cullen isn't going anywhere. Lets face it, the Canes need him. Besides, Sutter won't be and important part of the team for a few more seasons. He'll be on the fourth line until he fills in.

Trade Kaberle and Eaves for the Rights to Antoine Vermette.

Vermette would add size, speed, and be a great asset to the penatly kill, and if needed, shootout.

As god as that sounds, I don't think Ottowa is that stupid

Trade Kaberle and Eaves for the Rights to Antoine Vermette.

Vermette would add size, speed, and be a great asset to the penatly kill, and if needed, shootout.

You know we're looking to shed salary right? Vermette wants approx 3.5 million according to all reports. Eaves and Kabs combined make 3.3 mil. You really need to start considering salary when doing your off the wall trade proposals, or at least demonstrate some knowledge of how JR operates.

I believe it could take a while to rebuild the depth in our farm system through the draft. One idea would be to look back at the first and second round picks from three four or five years ago. We could take a look at any player that was let go or not signed by their drafted organizations. Another idea would be to take a look at some undrafted late bloomers either in Europe or coming out of college. We could give some of the more promising players found an invite to a training or evaluation camp and pick a few guys to play in Albany out of the lot. Certain teams have made a living from signing free agents even though they haven't drafted all that well.

If Frank Kaberle is to be shopped, we need to look at the teams that are either way below the cap floor or in need of a d-man, or both. LAK come to mind instantly. We could try to get a 2nd or 3rd round pick or a young prospect that could go to Albany. Phoenix may be looking for a d-man as well, since they basically gave up their 2nd D pairing for Jokinen. The trade w/ the Coyotes I would fancy would be Kaberle for Jared Staal, although it's probably not very realistic. Again, the best we could hope is a 2nd or 3rd round pick or a mid-level prospect. I also wouldn't mind getting a decent goon with a 2-way contract that we could send to Albany and bring back up in case Brookbank and Conboy pick up injuries or suspensions.

If Frank Kaberle is to be shopped, we need to look at the teams that are either way below the cap floor or in need of a d-man, or both. LAK come to mind instantly. We could try to get a 2nd or 3rd round pick or a young prospect that could go to Albany. Phoenix may be looking for a d-man as well, since they basically gave up their 2nd D pairing for Jokinen. The trade w/ the Coyotes I would fancy would be Kaberle for Jared Staal, although it's probably not very realistic. Again, the best we could hope is a 2nd or 3rd round pick or a mid-level prospect. I also wouldn't mind getting a decent goon with a 2-way contract that we could send to Albany and bring back up in case Brookbank and Conboy pick up injuries or suspensions.

That would be Trevor Gilles, he's already in Albany ;)

I would trade Kaberle to Atlanta for a 2nd or 3rd round draft chioce on 2009. If that didn't work, I would butter the bread alittle more and by throwing in Nolan with Kaberle and get a 1st or 2nd round choice.

I think Karmonos' stated that he would raise the cap for Sutter. So, if we lose Kab's, he can raise the internal cap to $47mil and and still pay Sutter.

Kaberle for Jared Staal is an interesting thought. Phoenix, I think, is reasonably deep in young forwards and perhaps took Staal as a "best available player at any position" type pick -- so they may be willing to deal him. Now dealing him in a one-for-one for Kabs? That may be something different.

I would trade Kaberle to Atlanta for a 2nd or 3rd round draft chioce on 2009. If that didn't work, I would butter the bread alittle more and by throwing in Nolan with Kaberle and get a 1st or 2nd round choice.

I think Karmonos' stated that he would raise the cap for Sutter. So, if we lose Kab's, he can raise the internal cap to $47mil and and still pay Sutter.

he played for atlanta, they didn't think enough of him to re-sign him.

The only thing im unsure about Kaberle and Nolan for Staal is I would like him in the lineup this year.

Larose-Sutter-Staal would be good enough 4th line.

We only need a goon in there when we play Phili and New York.

Even if you ignore the fact that Kaberle + Nolan would not be enough to get Staal in the first place; there isn't any way that Staal will be prepared to play in the NHL for atleast two years. There's a reason he was the first of the brothers to not be taken in the first-round, he just isn't of the same caliber as they are. It took Marc Staal two years to make it to the Rangers' roster, I would say it could be three or four years before Jared Staal is a permanent member of any NHL roster.

Dan Carcillo is a good enforcer and scored 13 goals last season. I would love to see him come here. He is cheap too. Like 676k.

I think Brookbank had a ton of heart, but I want someone who is better all around, like Carcillo.

He is restricted though. Give em Fran and a few rolls of tape.

The one thing I don't understand is we are trying to CUT salary and everyone is wanting to trade for another player. We need to trade for a draft pick! We have one too many players so cut the salary and pick up a young gun next year.

The one thing I don't understand is we are trying to CUT salary and everyone is wanting to trade for another player. We need to trade for a draft pick! We have one too many players so cut the salary and pick up a young gun next year.

If we trade a player that costs 2.2M for a guy that costs 676k, we are cutting salary.

And by the way, to Can. Ava. I would love Chris Neil here too. Hands down the toughest good player out there. We need that.

If we trade a player that costs 2.2M for a guy that costs 676k, we are cutting salary.

In this organization that isn't cutting salary. I'll make it simple.

Canes budget = $45M

Canes are currently at approximatly $48M

Now do we see why JR won't be taking back an NHL salary.

In this organization that isn't cutting salary. I'll make it simple.

Canes budget = $45M

Canes are currently at approximatly $48M

Now do we see why JR won't be taking back an NHL salary.

wait a sec...getting rid of a salary that is 2.2M and picking up a salary of 676k is not cutting salary?

I understand the self-imposed cap, but CLF, any way you slice it, that is still cuttin' some dough dude.

Carcillo would be SWEET. And we woud have to give something up ($$current higher salary$$) to get him.

wait a sec...getting rid of a salary that is 2.2M and picking up a salary of 676k is not cutting salary?

I understand the self-imposed cap, but CLF, any way you slice it, that is still cuttin' some dough dude.

Carcillo would be SWEET. And we woud have to give something up ($$current higher salary$$) to get him.

you shouldn't call someone a "dude" if you don't know their gender, could be considered offensive.

Have we forgotten about a guy named Brandon Sutter. So let me ask you, JR trades Kaberle and his $2.2M and brings on a guy for $676K. Oh then Sutter makes the team and he's bringing on an additional $750K (something around there). Its not that hard to figure out that JR won't be trading Kaberle for an NHL player. At most he'll got after a depth center for Albany if O'Neil doesn't accept his offer. So No, bringing in Carcillo will NOT be cutting salary when they are bringing in Sutter.