The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
bigbander

Your chance to play GM...

you shouldn't call someone a "dude" if you don't know their gender, could be considered offensive.

How about Dudette? :P

Kaberle to the kings for a 4th rounder and future considerations seems more realistic, if he miracuosly can play top 4 minutes and get time on the PP he would be well worth 2.2M and thats where the future considerations would come in. With his surgeries, recent play and our need to cut salary, it almost seems like teams would be paying JR a favor for taking him on.

Have we forgotten about a guy named Brandon Sutter. So let me ask you, JR trades Kaberle and his $2.2M and brings on a guy for $676K. Oh then Sutter makes the team and he's bringing on an additional $750K (something around there). Its not that hard to figure out that JR won't be trading Kaberle for an NHL player. At most he'll got after a depth center for Albany if O'Neil doesn't accept his offer. So No, bringing in Carcillo will NOT be cutting salary when they are bringing in Sutter.

I really think that we've got some serious blinders on. First of all I believe that JR's "$45 million self-imposed cap" is more of a target. If he puts the team on the ice that he feels is the most competitive, I really see him spending much closer to $46.5 million or even $47 million. Right now our cap hit is $49.3 million (that includes the 2/3 of Tanabe's salary if he gets bought out). It does not include Brandon Sutter's salary. Add that in and we're right at $50 million or so. If Frankie gets traded we're only down to $47.8 million (because I think that unless Sutter gets hurt, he's on the team in October). IMHO that means there's around a million or so in salary that will still need to go. I would not be surprised to see two or more currently signed players traded (and none of them will be named Nic Wallin - besides his NTC, when he's on, he's a more than adequate #5).

So look at the salary, look where we have the most flexibility, and read what you can into that...in my tiny mind I think there are two or three scenarios brewing:

1. Trade Frank Kaberle alone or with an unnamed forward (Chad LaRose?); we get picks and prospects in return, possibly a cheap 4th liner - this sheds around $2.5 million in salary (Rosies's and Frankie's salary minus the $500K we would have to pay the new 4th liner) and would make sense to do as soon as possible. It allows training camp to start w/everybody knowing where they stand, what lines they're on, and what their responsibilities are. Either Conboy, the guy we got back in the trade or an unsigned player (O'Neil or Taffe?) take the 4th line forward role and we run w/the 7 d-men we have under contract.

2. The above trade happens AND we trade another D-man (Babs, Melichar, or Seids); we get picks or prospect(s) back. This trade happens during training camp, pre-season, or after the 1st 10 games or so. Conboy fills the #7 D-man role/swing forward role and the "unnamed 4th liner" comes up from Albany or via one of the two trades. Ultimately, this saves us around $500K to $700K.

3. Ray Whitney gets traded as part of the package above. This would be the most radical of the trade options and chould yield us an "up and comer" (LAK O'Sullivan, perhaps) and a pick/prospect perhaps. This provides us Ruutu insurance in the event that he doesn't re-sign, covers for the loss of Whitney (although I think that if this happens LaRose isn't part of the 1st deal), and gets us down at or below JR's internal salary cap. Probably still end up shedding another $2 million in salary....and bingo that puts us right at $45 million.

The reason that I think this is something that could be considered is that it gives us financial flexibility, helps restock the farm system, potentially gives us picks for the '09, '10 draft, both of which are considered strong. It is a risk, no doubt about it (replacing Ray's #'s and Chad's energy would both be difficult). But it would potentially force Sutter into a larger role (for those who fear him wasting away on the 4th line), adds some surety for the blueline (everybody would know what their role was), and again, allows Tim Conboy to play more and we could see if he fits the role as 4th line agitator or #5/#6 D-man.

Just my two cents worth....

you shouldn't call someone a "dude" if you don't know their gender, could be considered offensive.

I don't know if you have kids in school, but in the younger crowd, a lot of the girls call each other "dude" today, so it's becoming gender neutral in the public domain.

way too much thought going into this, the D-men signings have made players under contract expendable, PK has a self imposed cap not etched in stone but something JR factors in before every move, so before the pitkanen, melichar, babchuck signings JR had to figure kaberle and his 2.2M would go on the block to even things out.

way too much thought going into this, the D-men signings have made players under contract expendable, PK has a self imposed cap not etched in stone but something JR factors in before every move, so before the pitkanen, melichar, babchuck signings JR had to figure kaberle and his 2.2M would go on the block to even things out.

No doubt about the "flexibility" of JR's and PK's self imposed cap....I just think there's more to come and its not just Frank Kaberle....now by way of disclaimer, I really, really like the team as its now configured and I think we're going to surprise some folks....

No doubt about the "flexibility" of JR's and PK's self imposed cap....I just think there's more to come and its not just Frank Kaberle....now by way of disclaimer, I really, really like the team as its now configured and I think we're going to surprise some folks....

I'd like to think more is to come but realistically and per JRs own comments the defensive overhaul is complete and unfortunately consists mostly of signings that are far from sure bets. This is what a self imposed cap does, JR is forced to find players that could potentially fill a role yet dont warrant big money. With most of the cash tied to the forwards, hes relying on them to carry the team with the d-men complementing the puck possesion play. That being said the lineup looks good considering the amount theyre under the new cap figure.

I don't know if you have kids in school, but in the younger crowd, a lot of the girls call each other "dude" today, so it's becoming gender neutral in the public domain.

Is everyone on this board in school?

I think people need to keep in mind that posters on here vary from age to age. We've got people on here who are 13 all the way up to 50. There are different generations on this board, and just b/c the younger crowd in this generation uses 'dude' doesn't make it non-offensive to someone in an older generation. I didn't take offense to the 'dude' comment, but that doesn't mean someone else won't. What is acceptable in the young generation, doesn't make it automatically acceptable to the older generation.

Off my lecture rant now.

I have kids in college or recently graduated college and they beg to differ, they call their male friends "dude" and their female ones either "dudette" or "hi my name is ______".

I'd like to think more is to come but realistically and per JRs own comments the defensive overhaul is complete and unfortunately consists mostly of signings that are far from sure bets. This is what a self imposed cap does, JR is forced to find players that could potentially fill a role yet dont warrant big money. With most of the cash tied to the forwards, hes relying on them to carry the team with the d-men complementing the puck possesion play. That being said the lineup looks good considering the amount theyre under the new cap figure.

The small money 1 year deals are a good way for JR to hedge his bets. If they don't play to potential, we can always bring in more Rats next year.