The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
bigbander

Your chance to play GM...

I don't know if this team can afford to trade two forwards, but I think it is pretty certain that one will be moved. As much talk as there has been around Cole, I've started to think that Whitney may be the player headed elsewhere. He's older, the team was at it's best when he was out of the line-up, and he has a two years left on his contract. I expect a team would be more likely to trade for a player that they know will be around for atleast two years instead of someone who could leave in one (which Cole could do). If the team keeps Cole, that also gives them some ammunition for mid-season. If the team doesn't perform up to par for whatever reason, Cole could be used as a rental player to acquire assets for this franchise's future.

Yeah this would be a good transition year, having an older roster hasnt worked either of the past two years, and since the Canes live off speed and trading chances why not get younger?

As for a 2nd Goalie, do you not have Confidence in Leighton? He was the best Goalie in the AHL this season. I think if he can lead the Rats to the (Calder Cup is it? Not sure what the AHL trophy is) then he should definitely be brought up next year. After all Price just did that this past season and look how he is doing now.

It has nothing to do with confidence in Leighton, but as the past two years have proved, they need a proven back-up or even someone to compete with Cam for the number 1 spot.

This is really hard. I have no idea except for the second line. I know I also want Letowski, Aucoin, Bayda, Conboy and Borer to play every game.

? / Staal / ?

Samsonov / Brind'Amour / Williams

? / Cullen / ?

Ruutu, Eaves, Whitney, Letowski, Walker, Bayda, Aucoin

Gleason / Wesley (or new guy)

Corvo / Wallin

Conboy / Borer

Ward

Someone good

trade kaberle, cole, and whitney if possible (sorry, not impressed with the collective effort)

keep bayda and aucoin up, we won with them; don't change what worked...haven't we learned that harsh lesson?

The problem with Sutter is that if he isn't in the NHL next year, he'll need to be back in junior hockey. I think some people still don't realize that will be the case. If he isn't dressed for the Hurricanes next year, he'll most likely be in Red Deer and we can't get him back from Red Deer until the end of their season. That's why I projected him to be in the lineup next season. I doubt Carolina signed him to a three-year contract just to send him back to the WHL next year.

Oh yeah, I keep forgetting about that.

Does anyone know specifics, on contracts expiring for UFAs/RFAs JR has to deal with?

I know Samsonov is a UFA & "Top Priority"

Aucoin a UFA? Bayda?

I think Rutuu is a RFA,...

Hedican & Wesley UFAs (most want to retire)

any others?

Does anyone know specifics, on contracts expiring for UFAs/RFAs JR has to deal with?

I know Samsonov is a UFA & "Top Priority"

Aucoin a UFA? Bayda?

I think Rutuu is a RFA,...

Hedican & Wesley UFAs (most want to retire)

any others?

go there

http://www.nhlnumbers.com/overview.php?team=CAR''>http://www.nhlnumbers.com/overview.php?team=CAR' target="_blank">http://www.nhlnumbers.com/overview.php?team=CAR[/post]

Here's what I'd like the lineup to look like:

Forwards

Ruutu-Staal-Cole

Samsonov-Cullen-Williams

Eaves-Brind'Amour-Walker

Rissmiller-Yelle-Shelley/Conboy

Defensemen

Suter-Gleason

Corvo-Seidenberg

Wallin-Borer/Conboy

Goalies

Ward

Holmqvist

New Acquisitions

Suter: This kid's got good stats, is young, and could probably be acuired for Whitney, Kaberle, and the rights to LaRose. Nashville's got too many good young defensemen and not enough forward depth.

Rissmiller: JR mentioned something about getting bigger, and Rissmiller wouldn't be a bad choice. He's 6'4", 215, gritty, fairly young at 29, and capable of putting up around 20 points. Signed as a free agent from San Jose.

Shelley: Brookbank's been serviceable, but Shelley's more widely regarded as a true enforcer. He's also capable of scoring around 8-10 points in a season. Signed as (another) free agent from San Jose.

Yelle: Somewhat old at 33, but he's a great defensive guy. He kills penalties, wins faceoffs, and has plenty of veteran leadership from his Stanley Cup wins with the Avs. Signed as a free agent from Calgary.

Holmqvist: We need a backup who doesn't suck. Holmqvist is that guy. Plus we know he's impossible for us to score against, so there's another problem solved.

Finally, I'd like to see Wesley replace McCarthy as the main defensive coach.

EDIT: wow, I made a lot of stupid little mistakes. If there are any more, just point 'em out.

^^

I gotta say nice Roster, and i like how you described the new players..

Send an Email to JR and to tell him to think about it ;)

Yeah, I'm gonna be really disappointed when next season starts, 'cause that fourth line sounds awesome. If I could send an e-mail to JR, I totally would.

I originally had Cole being traded in the Suter trade instead of Whitney, but after reading JustJoe's post I decided that Whitney could probably masquerade Kaberle's contract moreso than Cole would, seeing how Cole will be a UFA next season and stuff. Plus we need physicality and stuff like that. And I liked the looks of what I called the "Smash" line, the one I have projected as my first.

Also, another note on my roster thing, despite the fact that Williams and Samsonov have a proven chemistry with Brind'Amour, I decided to reduce Brindy's ice time because he's getting old and may possibly have a bum knee.

I doubt Cole will be traded based on the fact the Staal plays his best with Cole in the lineup. I wouldn't be surprised to see Eaves go. Then there is the draft to consider. There will be some options there, with the Canes possibly trading up in the draft. Its best to wait and see cause I've never been good at reading JR's mind.

I doubt Cole will be traded based on the fact the Staal plays his best with Cole in the lineup. I wouldn't be surprised to see Eaves go. Then there is the draft to consider. There will be some options there, with the Canes possibly trading up in the draft. Its best to wait and see cause I've never been good at reading JR's mind.

I actually think Staal does better without Cole. We soon forget that Staal led the team in points during the playoffs and Cole wasn't playing. Too many people get caught up thinking Staal needs Cole on his line in order for him to do anything but its just not true.

As for Eaves I'd be surprised if he is the one traded. Murray said after the trade that Eaves was the one to get the deal done. Without Eaves, JR wasn't making the trade. Unless they feel he won't recover with that shoulder injury, I don't see him going anywhere.

If Whitney doesn't have a NTC, I could see him and/or Cole being the ones out.

Forwards

Ruutu-Staal-Cole

Samsonov-Cullen-Williams

Eaves-Brind'Amour-Walker

Defensemen

Suter-Gleason

Corvo-Seidenberg

Wallin-Borer/Conboy

Goalies

Ward

Holmqvist

New Acquisitions

Suter: This kid's got good stats, is young, and could probably be acuired for Whitney, Kaberle, and a pick or something. Nashville's got too many good young defensemen and not enough forward depth.

Rissmiller: JR mentioned something about getting bigger, and Rissmiller wouldn't be a bad choice. He's 6'4", 215, gritty, fairly young at 29, and capable of putting up around 20 points. Signed as a free agent from San Jose.

Shelley: Brookbank's been serviceable, but Shelley's more widely regarded as a true enforcer. He's also capable of scoring around 8-10 points in a season. Signed as (another) free agent from Calgary.

Yelle: Somewhat old at 33, but he's a great defensive guy. He kills penalties, wins faceoffs, and has plenty of veteran leadership from his Stanley Cup wins with the Avs. Signed as a free agent from Calgary.

Holmqvist: We need a backup who doesn't suck. Holmqvist is that guy. Plus we know he's impossible for us to score against, so there's another problem solved.

Now this is one hell of a roster to reckon with. I'm not so keen on Holmqvist, but everyone else sounds fantastic...plus I've gotten a chance to see them all in action and yea they'd work out just fine. Suter won't happen though...I believe Nashville likes him best and will do everything possible to sign him up long-term...however Hamhuis or Weber could be available. Everyone else though would be great.

Two Words: Matt Walker.

Would help us on defense, would add the toughness that we seek, and would be another fighter.

6'2. 229. Age: 28. Season stats: 43 - 1 - 1 - 2. PIM: 61.

Walker had 7 fights this season, including 4 in back to back games. An unrestricted free agent on July, 1st

Two Words: Matt Walker.

Would help us on defense, would add the toughness that we seek, and would be another fighter.

6'2. 229. Age: 28. Season stats: 43 - 1 - 1 - 2. PIM: 61.

Walker had 7 fights this season, including 4 in back to back games. An unrestricted free agent on July, 1st

Forwards

Ruutu-Staal-Cole

Samsonov-Cullen-Williams

Eaves-Brind'Amour-Walker

Defensemen

Suter-Gleason

Corvo-Seidenberg

Wallin-Borer/Conboy

Goalies

Ward

Holmqvist

New Acquisitions

Suter: This kid's got good stats, is young, and could probably be acuired for Whitney, Kaberle, and a pick or something. Nashville's got too many good young defensemen and not enough forward depth.

Shelley: Brookbank's been serviceable, but Shelley's more widely regarded as a true enforcer. He's also capable of scoring around 8-10 points in a season. Signed as (another) free agent from Calgary.

That fourth line would look nice with Sutter in place of an enforcer. Yelle would be a great guy for him to play with. Oh, not to nitpick or anything but Shelley has never played for Calgary. Spent his entire career with Columbus until being traded to San Jose this year ;)

LW

Samsonov - UFA Hopefully the Canes can resign him for at least 1 million cheaper than 3.525 he made this season

LaRose - RFA Make an offer a slightly higher than .500 he made this season

Ruutu - RFA Make an offer for the same amount of money 2.250 that he made this season

Bayda - UFA Make an offer slightly higher than .475 he made this season

Whitney "A" - Under Contract (3.550) for 2 more seasons

C

Staal "A" - Under Contract (5.000) for 1 more season than becomes an RFA

Cullen - Under Contract (2.800) for 2 more seasons

N. Kapanan <--------------NEW ADDITION - No Thanks, Got the Sutter kid coming up next season!

Brind'Amour "C" - Under Contract (4.000 next season than next 2 seasons 3.000) for 3 more seasons (at age 37 can he comeback from torn acl?)

Hamilton - Under Contract (.800) for 1 more season than becomes a UFA

RW

Aucoin - UFA Make an offer slightly higher than .475 he made this season

Cole - Under Contract (4.000) for 1 more season than becomes a UFA

Walker - Under Contract (2.500) for 2 more seasons

Williams - Under Contract (3.500) for 3 more seasons

D

Corvo - Under Contract (2.750) for 2 more seasons

Wesley "A" - UFA Think he will retire

Liles <---------------NEW ADDITION - Won't happen, stuck with Kaberle for 2 more seasons

Conboy - RFA Make an offer slightly higher than .475 he made this season

Brookbank - UFA Make an offer slightly higher than .500 he made this season

A. Ward <---------------BRING HIM HOME No way too old! Bring up the Borer kid and let him play, he is capable!

Gleason "A" - RFA Make an offer higher than the 1.175 he made this season

Seidenberg - RFA Make an offer for the same amount of money .850 that he made this season

Wallin - Under Contract (1.725) for 2 more seasons

G

Ward - Under Contract (2.500 than 3.500 the following season) for 2 more seasons

Leighton or Conklin - Know either one of these guys would be a better backup and much cheaper too than "Crackers"

Leighton - UFA Make an offer slightly higher than .550 he made this season

Coach Lavi Needs to stay! (Can't believe anyone would think he needs to be replaced)

Notable (possible) departures via RFA and UFA (Not listed above)...Wesley, Hedican, Letowski, Eaves, Jensen, Nolan, Dwyer, Mormina

I believe an NHL team can only have 22 or 23 skaters? (which you can only dress 18 for a game) and 2 goalies on the Active Roster? (Scratch 4 or 5 skaters every game) Any clarification on this Rule?

Have a few Notable players (Staal/Cole/Borer) becoming RFAs and UFAs after the 08/09 season!

I agree with everything said. I would still make a trade for a top 2 D-man. This team can when if they stay healthy.

My dream team. I can't even phathom anyone not including LaRosesomewhere in the line-ups.

Rutuu/Staal/Cole (Cole step's up his game with Staal and stands up for him like he's his kid brother)

Samsonov/Brindy/Williams (Brindy and Samsonov rocked together-remember?)

Whitney/Cullen/Walker or Aucoin/Bayda/Walker (if Cullen out injured and Whitney traded)

LaRose/Letowski/Brookbank (LaRose and Letowski click together, but not convinced 100% on Letowski yet)

I can't wait to see what Sutter brings to the AHL next year, in a couple of years, he will be giving Staal a run for his money.

Defense and coaching is up in the air:

Gleason/Wesley or new D-man if Wesley gone

If Kabs has to play, he has to stay with Corvo, it's the only time he stepped up his game this year

Sidenberg/A.Ward

Ward/Leighton or Leighton/Ward-make the #1 prove himself worthy over time

Coach Lavi (if Lavi gone) Tom Rowe with Daniels and Wesley as assistants.

That fourth line would look nice with Sutter in place of an enforcer. Yelle would be a great guy for him to play with. Oh, not to nitpick or anything but Shelley has never played for Calgary. Spent his entire career with Columbus until being traded to San Jose this year ;)

I actually knew that, and now I feel like an idiot.

The mistake has been corrected. ;)

And oh fudge, I left LaRose out. Well he's thrown in the Suter trade.

I like the thought of Matt Walker as a depth pick-up in free agency. Another potential target in the same mold as Walker is Jim Vandermeer who currently plays for Calgary.

Assets: Displays a combination of physical presence and potential production. Has the tools to become a solid all-around defenseman. Is as tough as nails.

Flaws: Must make the necessary adjustments in the 'new' NHL so as to take the next step in his development. Needs to avoid taking bad penalties.

Career potential: No. 6 or 7 defenseman.

A solid player who could be signed for about $1 million a year.

I actually like this line-up, if you're "not sure" about T.Let, then maybe insert Sutter as 4th line center? as shown in red

My dream team. I can't even phathom anyone not including LaRosesomewhere in the line-ups.

Rutuu/Staal/Cole (Cole step's up his game with Staal and stands up for him like he's his kid brother)

Samsonov/Brindy/Williams (Brindy and Samsonov rocked together-remember?)

Whitney/Cullen/Walker or Aucoin/Bayda/Walker (if Cullen out injured and Whitney traded)

LaRose/Sutter/Brookbank (LaRose and Letowski click together, but not convinced 100% on Letowski yet)

I like the thought of Matt Walker as a depth pick-up in free agency. Another potential target in the same mold as Walker is Jim Vandermeer who currently plays for Calgary.

A solid player who could be signed for about $1 million a year.

I also would not mind Jim Vandermeer on the team; but ever since his knockout fight with Jon Klemm, he has not been the same. His willingness to fight has just gone downhill, Klemm was a good friend on Vandermeer's before they both made it to the NHL and it took a toll on Jim. Despite that, I would not mind Vandermeer, I have always been a fan of his. Walker or Vandermeer, if it

People keep forgetting that Brandon Sutter CANNOT play in the ahl next year. He will be with the hurricanes, bank on it.

Well that blows.

Rushing prospects is never a good idea, especially when there are adequate substitutes on the UFA market that could fit Sutter's role for a relatively cheap price

Well that blows.

Rushing prospects is never a good idea, especially when there are adequate substitutes on the UFA market that could fit Sutter's role for a relatively cheap price

I agree. Bringing him up next year would be a big mistake from my point of view. Let him have another year in juniors, let him develop his hockey skills and his body more, and then call him up. Pulling him up next year to play minutes that could easily go to a number of cheap forwards is a mistake from my seat.