The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
bigbander

Your chance to play GM...

Rushing prospects is never a good idea, especially when there are adequate substitutes on the UFA market that could fit Sutter's role for a relatively cheap price

Correct; if we choose not to use Sutter next year we could sign Brad Winchester. Could fill in as a tough guy and still a few points every now and then, but don

People keep forgetting that Brandon Sutter CANNOT play in the ahl next year. He will be with the hurricanes, bank on it.

Welcome back Shane, I wondered where you were last week.

Unless something has changed Sutter has an AHL contract with the Rats/Hurricanes the next 3 years. I'm not sure what you mean by he "CANNOT" play in the AHL.

http://dailygazette.com/news/2008/mar/27/327_rats/''>http://dailygazette.com/news/2008/mar/27/327_rats/' target="_blank">http://dailygazette.com/news/2008/mar/27/327_rats/[/post]

Welcome back Shane, I wondered where you were last week.

Unless something has changed Sutter has an AHL contract with the Rats/Hurricanes the next 3 years. I'm not sure what you mean by he "CANNOT" play in the AHL.

http://dailygazette.com/news/2008/mar/27/327_rats/''>http://dailygazette.com/news/2008/mar/27/327_rats/' target="_blank">http://dailygazette.com/news/2008/mar/27/327_rats/[/post]

The AHL has an age restriction for players drafted out of the CHL. They must be 20 years of age or have played 4 full seasons with their junior team. Sutter has only played 3 full seasons and will not be 20 by December 31st, 2008, which is the cutoff date. Therefore it's the nhl or back to Red Deer. With Jesse Wallin as the new rebels coach, Sutter will not learn anything more there. His game is nhl ready, his body is not. Who knows what a summer of working with Pete Friesen will do for him, though. Rutherford has already said he expects him to challenge for a roster spot next fall and given our history with rushing in our high end prospects I fully expect to see him playing for us this fall. Oh, and for anyone wondering why he is playing in the ahl now I should add that junior players are allowed to finish out the season in the ahl once their chl team has been eliminated even if they don't meet the criteria.

And why did you wonder where I was :blink:

12 first round picks for ovechkin.

but seriously, someone should post a full list of UFAs.

as for sutter...if he's gonna play, we need to trade forward strength for defensive depth.

The AHL has an age restriction for players drafted out of the CHL. They must be 20 years of age or have played 4 full seasons with their junior team. Sutter has only played 3 full seasons and will not be 20 by December 31st, 2008, which is the cutoff date. Therefore it's the nhl or back to Red Deer. With Jesse Wallin as the new rebels coach, Sutter will not learn anything more there. His game is nhl ready, his body is not. Who knows what a summer of working with Pete Friesen will do for him, though. Rutherford has already said he expects him to challenge for a roster spot next fall and given our history with rushing in our high end prospects I fully expect to see him playing for us this fall. Oh, and for anyone wondering why he is playing in the ahl now I should add that junior players are allowed to finish out the season in the ahl once their chl team has been eliminated even if they don't meet the criteria.

And why did you wonder where I was :blink:

I thought the age was 19. How did he sign a contract for the Rats for the next 3 years then? I'm confused. :blink:

I have always appreciated your hockey knowledge and didn't see any posts from you when we were eliminated from the playoffs until the last 2-3 days. Was just wondering where you were. :)

I thought the age was 19. How did he sign a contract for the Rats for the next 3 years then? I'm confused. :blink:

I have always appreciated your hockey knowledge and didn't see any posts from you when we were eliminated from the playoffs until the last 2-3 days. Was just wondering where you were. :)

He didn't sign with the Rats. He signed a contract with the Canes, just like many other players we've seen this season. Aucoin, Bayda, Conboy, Brookbank, Borer, etc., all have contracts with the Canes, not with Albany. They are assigned to play for Albany because it is the Canes' AHL affiliate, but they are still signed by the Canes. Not much different than when Grahame or Hamilton were sent down, either. (Taking away all the issues with waivers) they still were under contract for the Canes, but were assigned to Albany during their stints there.

Sutter just was assigned to play for the Rats after his junior season ended like the others, which he is allowed to do under the rules. But he is not allowed to start playing there next season due to the rules, unless he goes back down to his juniors team and plays the full season there then gets assigned to Albany after the junior season ends, exactly like how he did this year.

Considering he signed the deal with the Canes, and he isn't allowed to play in Albany next year (except after his juniors season finishes), then add in the comments by JR and Francis, it's almost a given that he'll be here in Raleigh next season. Everything is pointing to it.

Someone that knows the rules better can help answer this (which would really tell if it's what I'm thinking), but does his signing the contract count towards his eligibility using up a year towards UFA status? If so, then there's no question that he'll play for the Canes next season, or they just threw away a year of RFA status on him in addition to everything else. But regardless there's still really no reason to sign him to the contract they did if he isn't going to play in the Canes' system next season.

Ok, I'll take a shot at explaining his free agency status. Couple things:

In the new CBA a player is eligible for unrestricted free agency at the age of 27 or after accruing 7 seasons in the league, whichever comes first.

There are two games played totals we need to be aware of with Brandon Sutter, the 10 game mark and the 40 game mark. A rookie can play up to 9 games in the nhl and then be sent back to juniors without it counting as a year of his contract. Once he plays that 10th game, though, his contract kicks in. The 40 game mark is when the clock starts ticking on his free agency status. If he were to return to Red Deer before playing that 40th game this would not count towards those seven accrued seasons.

Basically, if Sutter sticks with us full time next year he'll be eligible for unrestricted free agency in the summer of 2015. I think he gets his 9 game look for sure and if he plays well he stays. If somehow things don't go well we try to send him back to juniors before the 40 game mark.

Hope this helps.

Perfect! That answers my question very well. Thanks, Shane! :)

I'd bet on that as well. He'll almost certainly be here for the nine game "tryout". If he does well for it he sticks around. If not, then he's back in Red Deer. Though I'm guessing he'd really have to do poorly to be sent back at that point since they want him to develop and he's not going to do much more of that back there. If he sticks around long enough to be close to the 40 games, then I'd guess he's here for the full year, too. They'd most likely send him back sooner than that if they felt otherwise.

='186361' date='Apr 12 2008, 07:12 PM']He didn't sign with the Rats. He signed a contract with the Canes, just like many other players we've seen this season. Aucoin, Bayda, Conboy, Brookbank, Borer, etc., all have contracts with the Canes, not with Albany. They are assigned to play for Albany because it is the Canes' AHL affiliate, but they are still signed by the Canes. Not much different than when Grahame or Hamilton were sent down, either. (Taking away all the issues with waivers) they still were under contract for the Canes, but were assigned to Albany during their stints there.

Sutter just was assigned to play for the Rats after his junior season ended like the others, which he is allowed to do under the rules. But he is not allowed to start playing there next season due to the rules, unless he goes back down to his juniors team and plays the full season there then gets assigned to Albany after the junior season ends, exactly like how he did this year.

Considering he signed the deal with the Canes, and he isn't allowed to play in Albany next year (except after his juniors season finishes), then add in the comments by JR and Francis, it's almost a given that he'll be here in Raleigh next season. Everything is pointing to it.

Someone that knows the rules better can help answer this (which would really tell if it's what I'm thinking), but does his signing the contract count towards his eligibility using up a year towards UFA status? If so, then there's no question that he'll play for the Canes next season, or they just threw away a year of RFA status on him in addition to everything else. But regardless there's still really no reason to sign him to the contract they did if he isn't going to play in the Canes' system next season.

Quote name shane472 post

"Ok, I'll take a shot at explaining his free agency status. Couple things:

In the new CBA a player is eligible for unrestricted free agency at the age of 27 or after accruing 7 seasons in the league, whichever comes first.

There are two games played totals we need to be aware of with Brandon Sutter, the 10 game mark and the 40 game mark. A rookie can play up to 9 games in the nhl and then be sent back to juniors without it counting as a year of his contract. Once he plays that 10th game, though, his contract kicks in. The 40 game mark is when the clock starts ticking on his free agency status. If he were to return to Red Deer before playing that 40th game this would not count towards those seven accrued seasons.

Basically, if Sutter sticks with us full time next year he'll be eligible for unrestricted free agency in the summer of 2015. I think he gets his 9 game look for sure and if he plays well he stays. If somehow things don't go well we try to send him back to juniors before the 40 game mark.

Hope this helps."

Sorry I don't know how to do the multiquote, did some cutting and pasting. Both posts need to be together to get the clear picture.

Now it all makes sense. Thanks to both of you (Shane and Pirate) for the explanations of Sutter's contract and rules. You would be surprised at how many boards thinks Sutter will be playing with Albany next year and how many like me didn't get it.

I would like to add Sutter to my dream list in place of Letowski on the 4th line for 9 nine games to see him play next year.

Sorry but I have another question. Can he be sent down to the Juniors before the 9 games and brought back to play the rest of the 9 games if needed or do we have to do it right from the start of the season?

Sorry but I have another question. Can he be sent down to the Juniors before the 9 games and brought back to play the rest of the 9 games if needed or do we have to do it right from the start of the season?

No need to apologize for asking a question :)

Junior players under nhl contracts can't be recalled to the nhl unless it's because of an emergency situation where both your nhl squad and your minor league affiliate are burdened with injuries. Philadelphia did it at one point this year recalling Claude Giroux from the Gatineau Olympiques. Florida also did it when they recalled Shawn Matthias of the Belleville Bulls. It's a rule that's in place to be fair, mostly. The chl isn't an affiliated league of the nhl like the ahl or echl are so why should their players be able to be taken from them during the course of a season? Sutter will get his 9 games and should he impress he'll stay, if he needs some more time then he'll go back to Red Deer for the rest of the year.

Ruutu-Staal-Cole

Samsonov-Cullen-Williams

Eaves-Brindamour-Walker

Larose-Sutter-Letowski/

Extra: Conboy

Cullen will be completely healthy, and i hope everyone remembers just how good he is when he is healthy.

I would love to see Roddy played with Walker and Eaves on the third line. Walker is a great third liner, eaves can screen and cycle well, and rod i just believe has seen his best days leave him... defensive, third line spot for him is great.

I Love Larose, and he has shown upside especially at the end of this year, and Sutter will be a great player in a few years. I think we allow them to develop on the fourth line, with either Letowski(who was great after brindys injury), or an enforcer..like Riley Cote, Brookbank, or Laraque.

There is a possibility if we free up cap space (Wallin, Whitney, Kaberle, maybe Walker) by getting a defensemen or two...that we could sign Sean Avery. I think Avery and Ruutu would be great together.

I like trading Whitney/Walker for a defensemen instead of Cole or our good youthful forwards.

This organization loves patrick eaves so dont expect him to go anywhere (JR wanted to draft him).

As for Defense:

Dump Kaberle and Wallin. i dont care who or what we get. maybe to St. Louis for Janssen.

Hope Wesley and Hedican Retire (i love the both but its time to move on)

then you have:

Gleason- product of Whitney and Walker trade

Corvo-Streit

Seidenberg-Bryce Salvador/Borer

then

Ward

backup:Auld, Conklin, Leighton, Hedberg...ect

so many cheap good options for backup goalie

all of this could be done, and work...and still be under budget

There is a possibility if we free up cap space (Wallin, Whitney, Kaberle, maybe Walker) by getting a defensemen or two...that we could sign Sean Avery. I think Avery and Ruutu would be great together.

I hope I'm not the only one who thinks there's no way this organization would ever want Avery. This is a classy group of guys we have, he wouldn't fit in the least bit with his antics. Plus, Scott Walker hates him :P

I hope I'm not the only one who thinks there's no way this organization would ever want Avery. This is a classy group of guys we have, he wouldn't fit in the least bit with his antics. Plus, Scott Walker hates him :P

If the Canes were to sign Avery, they would lead the league in fights...

...in practices! :lol:

If the Canes were to sign Avery, they would lead the league in fights...

...in practices! :lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

BTW I know I would love to see Aaron Ward back, BUT the way he was pounding on Wesley's head the last time we played them at home behind the net, I wondered if there was some bad history there. It was not pleasant to watch, really teed me off and no penalty called. Does anyone remember when that happened? I know there were some posts about it on the game forum.

BTW I know I would love to see Aaron Ward back, BUT the way he was pounding on Wesley's head the last time we played them at home behind the net, I wondered if there was some bad history there. It was not pleasant to watch, really teed me off and no penalty called. Does anyone remember when that happened? I know there were some posts about it on the game forum.

I don't remember the date but I do remember him taking liberties with a few of our players. However, I wouldn't say it's anything personal against the guys, it's just his style of play. He's a hard nosed guy and his job now is to help the Bruins win. Regardless of his history with our team he isn't going to hold back at all when he plays us. I like Wardo as much as the next guy but I think it would be a mistake to bring him back at this point. First off, he's nearing the end of his career. We don't need another old defenseman, we need to get younger. He'd most likely be looking for a two year deal to take him into retirement at the age of 37. Secondly, and most important, he suffered several injuries this year. He's not as durable as he once was. There were concussion problems to start the year then a broken left foot, ankle problems and later on a bruised right foot that caused him to miss games. I question his mobility, his durability and his age at this point. All three of these things scare me enough to make me want to pass despite liking him, there are just better options.

- Re-sign Samsonov and Ruutu, both 3 yrs at $2.5M/yr.

- Re-sign Eaves, 2 yrs at $1.3m/yr.

- Re-sign Bayda and Letowski, both 1 yr at $500,000.

- Re-sign Gleason, 4 yrs at $2.5M/yr.

- Re-sign Seidenberg, 2yrs at $1M/yr

- Sign Dmitri Kalinin, 3 yrs at $2.25M/yr.

- Trade Cole for Kevin Bieksa. Bieksa is signed at $3.75M for the next three years.

Forwards

Samsonov-Staal-Eaves

Ruutu-Brind'amour-Williams

Whitney-Cullen-Walker

Letowski-Sutter-LaRose

Bayda

(if Sutter is sent back to juniors, then Letowski switches to center and Bayda moves to LW)

Defense

Gleason-Bieksa

Kaberle-Corvo

Kalinin-Seidenberg

Wallin

Goalies

Ward

someone other than Leighton (we need a veteran backup, not a journeyman borderline NHLer who will only be better than Grahame because it's pretty much impossible to be worse)

PP units

Whitney-Staal-Ruutu

Cullen-Corvo

Samsonov-Brind'amour-Williams

Kaberle/Kalinin-Bieksa

PK units

Forward pairings of Brind'amour-Williams, Staal-Ruutu, Letowski-LaRose, Sutter-Walker

Defensive pairings of Gleason-Bieksa and Kalinin-Seidenberg

Some may see Eaves in the Top 6 as a stretch at this point, but sooner or later you have to let guys sink or swim (Eaves next season will be a few months older than Williams was at the start of the 05-06 season). Small market teams with low budgets have to have young players filling holes and players outperforming their contracts...otherwise they end up with no money to spend on the defense. Besides, any weakness that this may pose to the "first" line is made up by the talent on the third. The only reason I really have Eaves on the first line is because he's a natural RW and I'm trying to balance out the lines by having our theoretical "worst" Top 9 winger wiith our best center.

3 years at $2.5 is too much for Samsonov considering how close he was to being out of a job. It's still too big a risk. A few short months of solid play can't justify it after his time in Montreal and Chicago. I fully believe JR will not give him that long or that rich a deal. 2 years at 1.5-2 mil is what I'm thinking and I'd be surprised to see him get more. $2.5 is also too much for Ruutu but I've heard his agent is looking for a salary in that range.

That's Aaron, and if he didn't do it I'd be suprised... he's a consumate proffessional and will do what is required for his team, and no, there is nothing personal behind this - don't forget he and his family still call the triangle home and he plays with the local guys off season...

I don't typically post responses or topics but I'm an avid reader of the board. After reading the post by "Kahz" I felt compelled to post a response to the mention of trading Cole for Bieska. I wasn't familiar with Bieska so I did a little youtube research and liked what I found. He appears to be a tought scrapy middle weight Dman. I'm not sure about his skills but I love his aggressive style (fights like he means it very much like Walker). I love Cole and the speed he brings but I would like to see us with someone like Bieska.

I don't typically post responses or topics but I'm an avid reader of the board. After reading the post by "Kahz" I felt compelled to post a response to the mention of trading Cole for Bieska. I wasn't familiar with Bieska so I did a little youtube research and liked what I found. He appears to be a tought scrapy middle weight Dman. I'm not sure about his skills but I love his aggressive style (fights like he means it very much like Walker). I love Cole and the speed he brings but I would like to see us with someone like Bieska.

Bieska - much like Corvo except worse - we DO NOT need another out of position, soft in his own back end, offensive defenseman (we already have Kaberle for that dishonor) - what we DO need is positionally sound, beast in their defensive end, shot blocking, DEFENSIVE defensemen

(oh, and those 14 or so goals you saw in the video account for every single goal he's scored in the past 2 seasons)

not to mention, he's only fought 4 times this year and every single one he picked out a non-fighter and beat him - wonder how he'd hold up to Brashear, Jared Boll, or either one of the Brookbank bro's

I have a problem with a guy who gets 42 points but is only a +1(last year - without doubt his best year), and has 12 points this year but is a

-11 (that means opponents scored 23 even strength goals against him) - that signals to me "lack of defensive zone responsibility" which is one of the main points JR mentioned that needed correction!

Be careful - Kahz would have a back end full of Kaberle's and a goalie with a 7.0 GAA - but hey, we'd score 400+ goals each season! LOL

Bieska - much like Corvo except worse - we DO NOT need another out of position, soft in his own back end, offensive defenseman (we already have Kaberle for that dishonor) - what we DO need is positionally sound, beast in their defensive end, shot blocking, DEFENSIVE defensemen

(oh, and those 14 or so goals you saw in the video account for every single goal he's scored in the past 2 seasons)

not to mention, he's only fought 4 times this year and every single one he picked out a non-fighter and beat him - wonder how he'd hold up to Brashear, Jared Boll, or either one of the Brookbank bro's

I have a problem with a guy who gets 42 points but is only a +1(last year - without doubt his best year), and has 12 points this year but is a

-11 (that means opponents scored 23 even strength goals against him) - that signals to me "lack of defensive zone responsibility" which is one of the main points JR mentioned that needed correction!

Be careful - Kahz would have a back end full of Kaberle's and a goalie with a 7.0 GAA - but hey, we'd score 400+ goals each season! LOL

Thanks for the feedback, this is exactly what I was looking for. Based on your numbers and analysis...He is a no go and his videos are misleading.

Thanks for the feedback, this is exactly what I was looking for. Based on your numbers and analysis...He is a no go and his videos are misleading.

welcome. not meaning to slam Kahz there, but I prefer a defense that shuts down opponents over a defense that scores.