The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
bigbander

Your chance to play GM...

I'm not going to even try to speculate on the Defense until JR makes some some sort of move right before the draft.

Does anyone else agree with me that Hamilton should come back on the 4th Line Center Position? He had a great start, had his confidence shaken by Lavi, then he got it together by the end of the season again. He an be a great asset to the team when he's 100%. Personally I would like to see us trade for a shut-down d-man and then plan on Hamilton being the back-up point man on the PP incase Cullen is hurt again. He is signed pretty cheap and it would allow us to help our greatest need (top Defender to help out Gleason) without getting distracted with trying to get another puck moving D-man.

Personally I think Hamilton's days with the Canes are over. He has a freakish slapshot, which is incredible, and that's about it. He is small, can't really hit anyone, not much of a defender. Really not a 4th line kind of guy. JR has said that he wants that 4th line to hit and have size. Not Hamilton. Maybe trade him for picks. Otherwise he will end up in Albany. Of course, I could be wrong.

Does anyone else agree with me that Hamilton should come back on the 4th Line Center Position? He had a great start, had his confidence shaken by Lavi, then he got it together by the end of the season again. He an be a great asset to the team when he's 100%. Personally I would like to see us trade for a shut-down d-man and then plan on Hamilton being the back-up point man on the PP incase Cullen is hurt again. He is signed pretty cheap and it would allow us to help our greatest need (top Defender to help out Gleason) without getting distracted with trying to get another puck moving D-man.

I've got to take great issue with these stances.

Hamilton was a tremendous liability last year at times, and was horrid controlling the puck. Watching the games he really showed himself as a one-dimensional player with a great slap shot, and very little more. He is small and not a grinder (not good for 4th line center roles), he was awful handling the puck as the PP QB, and his defense is very suspect. So we end up with a guy that is a good threat to score if someone else sets him up.

I'd much rather have a young Suter playing good defense and scoring 2 goals his first year, then Hamilton driving home 7 and costing us 4 games with horrible defense or forcing our top 3 centers into even more minutes due to his one-dimensional nature.

I am sorry to be so down on him, but his puck handling was horrible, and I know no other word to describe it.

Small guy, can't handle the puck, can't play defense, can't be physical but has a great slap shot sums him up in my opnion.

There are still questions as to whether Kurtis Foster will be healthy for the start of next season, so I doubt any team takes a chance on him as a restricted free agent.

Its been reported that the Wild will tender him an offer close to his salary now. He will likely take it because he and the team know that he will miss half the season but at least he doesn't have to worry and can focus on his rehab.

On the issue of the Wild, it is very unlikely that they will trade any of their d-men. They like many other teams are looking for good d-men too.

I think its already been reported that Gaborik might be on the trading block if an extension is not agreed upon this summer. With JR's self-imposed cap, I don't think he will be a viable candidate since JR will be negotiating Staal's next contract next summer and he will be looking at Gaborik money of $7 to $8 million.

Now that Eaves has been resigned, do you guys think he could play with Staal? Im thinking maybe something like Whitney/Cole-Staal-Eaves. It will be interesting to see the lineup come September since we are all expecting some sort of big trade.

Personally I think Hamilton's days with the Canes are over. He has a freakish slapshot, which is incredible, and that's about it. He is small, can't really hit anyone, not much of a defender. Really not a 4th line kind of guy. JR has said that he wants that 4th line to hit and have size. Not Hamilton. Maybe trade him for picks. Otherwise he will end up in Albany. Of course, I could be wrong.

I think a more realistic way Hammy may go will be after most of the RFA/UFA signings are done. Some team may be looking to fill a slot with a low money player and JR may be able to waive him and have a team on standby to get him. I don't see us getting any picks for him when a team could have had him for next to nothing this season on re-entry.

Now that Eaves has been resigned, do you guys think he could play with Staal? Im thinking maybe something like Whitney/Cole-Staal-Eaves. It will be interesting to see the lineup come September since we are all expecting some sort of big trade.

I wouldn't expect to see him on the first-line. However, I do think there is a possibility he could land a spot on the second-line if he and Brind'Amour have an opportunity to build some chemistry in the offseason. At worst, I see him on the third-line with Cullen and Sutter while Walker moves up into the top-six to play with either Brind'Amour or Staal.

I have a feeling the Leighton thing will be like the Lavi thing. He'll join the Canes as a backup, and JR will go "Was there ever any doubt?"
I really hope he gets re-signed and is the backup in Carolina real soon. I feel very strongly about this because after watching Leights play all season down here in Albany the man did wonders for this team here in Albany. There is nothing more he could have done to deserve to be the backup with the Canes. I do not think I have ever felt this stronly about a player getting re-signed before but I think Leighton deserves it.

I really hope he gets re-signed and is the backup in Carolina real soon. I feel very strongly about this because after watching Leights play all season down here in Albany the man did wonders for this team here in Albany. There is nothing more he could have done to deserve to be the backup with the Canes. I do not think I have ever felt this stronly about a player getting re-signed before but I think Leighton deserves it.

The question I have is who will be the 'Canes 3rd string goalie, Nastiuk?

I wouldn't expect to see him on the first-line. However, I do think there is a possibility he could land a spot on the second-line if he and Brind'Amour have an opportunity to build some chemistry in the offseason. At worst, I see him on the third-line with Cullen and Sutter while Walker moves up into the top-six to play with either Brind'Amour or Staal.

Do you see Sutter making the team out of camp?

If negotiations with Gleason continue to be difficult, I could see us trading him in a package with Cole or Whitney in order to get a guy like Brent Burns or Shea Weber (yeah, a guy can dream) plus some picks, prospects, or depth players.

I don't feel like copying and pasting so...

Don't trade Cole, save and see how he performs, if he answers the bell, resign next off-season, if he doesn't quite make the mark, deal in the deadline. (Hopefully, he will answer the bell). Go after Conklin, if we can't, get Leighton. (Conklin poses more of a threat to Ward for starting games, get Ward working; Leights doesn't really pose the threat, but it's possible he can).

Justin Peters, Manzato, or Nastiuk.
Manzato and Nastiuk are both free agents as well. Our coach Tom Rowe did say about a month and a half ago he would not rule out that the Canes would sign another veteran goalie to play here in Albany for next season. But at that moment he was planing on Peters playing at least 40 games here next year. But like I said would not rule out the Canes signing another Vet to play here In Albany again.

If negotiations with Gleason continue to be difficult, I could see us trading him in a package with Cole or Whitney in order to get a guy like Brent Burns or Shea Weber (yeah, a guy can dream) plus some picks, prospects, or depth players.

At this point I would rather trade Gleason and Whitney to Vancouver for Bieska, they need offense and have a lot of D. We might be able to get another defenseman and tack on siedenberg.

Everyone is screaming to get a shut down D man and now we are wanting to ship off out most solid Defenceman????? Double edged sword here huh.

...so we can get an even better defenseman. Burns and Weber are pretty much franchise defensemen.

theres no way we trade gleason. its going to be forwards. kaberle, wallin, corvo and tanabe are our 4 defensemen under contract. gleasons rights will not be traded.

Gleason is not getting traded. JR will settle for the 1 year and go through this again next year before trading his rights away. What will probably happen is they agree to a 1 year for like $2.5M. Then near the deadline they start negotiations for an extension. If things sour, then I can see him traded at the deadline, but Gleason will start this season as a Cane.

JR likely wants him signed to a 4 year deal. Gleason likely doesn't want to cut into his free agency if he could get paid more on the open market. JR likely doesn't want to back load the contract b/c Gleason could bust and never be that top defenseman. He'll get the 1 year deal to prove himself and show JR that he is worth the money.

I hear so many people complaining about contracts. Do you want JR to back load a contract for Gleason and then he doesn't play up to his potential. Then we have another Kaberle on our hands.

Question, if Gleason signs a 1 year deal, is he a RFA next year?

Yes, he becomes a Free Agent July 1, 2010.

Yes, he becomes a Free Agent July 1, 2010.

I'm fine with a one year deal. I was going to say that he still needs to prove himself to be a top pairing defenseman, but you kinda took that and went even farther! Great post.

Man I will be glad when we get past June. Then much of the fantasy hockey possibilities will be closed.

Lets trade our best D-man prospect and our highest scorer. This suggested trade is for a rebuilding yearwith an excellent chance of totally messing with team chemistry etc.

:lol: Gotta love it.

If you know that he won't stick around, why not try to get some return for him? Caniacal didn't say straight-up trade Gleason, he said trade him if negotiations aren't settled. To say that this would never happen would mean you would completely overlook the Jack Johnson deal that happened just two years ago. Rutherford couldn't sign him, so he traded him.

You can sign him to a one year deal and work a trade at the deadline if it is made clear during the season that he is not good or is unwilling to sign an extension. Gives sometime for Gleason and the Canes to reflect if it works out for them.

If you know that he won't stick around, why not try to get some return for him? Caniacal didn't say straight-up trade Gleason, he said trade him if negotiations aren't settled. To say that this would never happen would mean you would completely overlook the Jack Johnson deal that happened just two years ago. Rutherford couldn't sign him, so he traded him.

Can't compare to Jack Johnson. He was a draft pick and Gleason is a Restricted free agent. As such once we make an offer to him expected to be in the 2.5 mil per year range if another team trys to take him we get compensation.

At the salary range indicated they would be possibly a first rounder. ( tried to read/understand the details in the NHLPA agreement and gave up)

Why be so fricken hot to trade guys when you still have dibs on them?

Chill and see what is gonna happen out there. Gleason is just looking out for himself because no one else will.

Just an opinion. I fail to see how trading D will help us when we need it unless we get a better D back. However this will cost $$ to do.

Man I will be glad when we get past June. Then much of the fantasy hockey possibilities will be closed.

Lets trade our best D-man prospect and our highest scorer. This suggested trade is for a rebuilding yearwith an excellent chance of totally messing with team chemistry etc.

:lol: Gotta love it.

Gotta love how people on these boards have a tendency to overlook important details on posts and then completely denouncing them. It's a tendency I see far too often here.

First off, I said that we should only trade Gleason if negotiations remain difficult and a reasonable trade is not worked out.

Secondly, Cole is not our "highest scorer" and Gleason is not a "prospect." Do some research before you make a statement so you won't look like a fool in doing so.

Finally, the suggested trade is not for a rebuilding year. Go look up some information about Brent Burns and Shea Weber. They're both quality young defensemen that would replace Gleason as our number one guy. To say that acquiring them would be "rebuilding" is ludicrous. They'd improve our defense immediately, and both have better offensive skills than Gleason. Cole's a pending UFA, and we've had difficulty signing him in the past, so we could package him and improve the quality of the return.

It's not that hard to understand, people.

Yea Burns and Weber would be fine additions; losing Gleason wouldn't mean a thing then. But I agree with CLF, we won't trade Gleason away this year...maybe next if he's THAT difficult...but really I think JR wants to keep this guy. lol he's all we have from the JJ deal