The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
bigbander

Your chance to play GM...

Yea Burns and Weber would be fine additions; losing Gleason wouldn't mean a thing then. But I agree with CLF, we won't trade Gleason away this year...maybe next if he's THAT difficult...but really I think JR wants to keep this guy. lol he's all we have from the JJ deal

Good post, I agree with all of it.

Cullen-Staal-Cole

Samsonov-Brindamour-Williams

Eaves-Ruutu-Walker

Larose-Sutter-Hamilton

extra :Conboy

Gleason-Keith

Corvo-Stuart

Wallin/Borer-Seidenberg

Ward

Leighton

The forward lines are good, and balanced.

I think it is more important to have a backup goalie who wants to be the starter, like Leighton, instead of some veteran guy who puts up no fight to start over ward, which is exactly what Ward needs, competition for the top spot. It will prevent him from taking a night off.

As for the defense...we should trade Whitney, Kaberle, and our first round pick to Chicago for Duncan Keith.

We have to dump one of Kaberle or Wallin so we can afford to sign Brad Stuart, who would fit excelently in our system.

I don`t think that it would be a problem paying 3.5 million per for Stuart who could really solidify this defense.

However, If keith is unavailable, it is always possible to send the same package elsewhere for Pitkanen, Suter, Burns, ect.

There is one trade ive seen on some other boards, that I know is almost certain to not happen, but if I were JR and Minnesota called offering Gaborik and Burns with possibly picks or prospects for Cole, Whitney, Kaberle, our 1st round pick and a prospect.

If we could get Boogaard from them in that trade we would certainly be on our way to another cup.

Gotta love how people on these boards have a tendency to overlook important details on posts and then completely denouncing them. It's a tendency I see far too often here.

Secondly, Cole is not our "highest scorer" and Gleason is not a "prospect." Do some research before you make a statement so you won't look like a fool in doing so.

Finally, the suggested trade is not for a rebuilding year. Go look up some information about Brent Burns and Shea Weber. They're both quality young defensemen that would replace Gleason as our number one guy. To say that acquiring them would be "rebuilding" is ludicrous. They'd improve our defense immediately, and both have better offensive skills than Gleason. Cole's a pending UFA, and we've had difficulty signing him in the past, so we could package him and improve the quality of the return.

It's not that hard to understand, people.

Thanx for the slam.

The scorer I was referring to was Whitney. By prospect I meant a future integral piece of the D. No need to take each definition so literally. When you take 2 major pieces from a pzzle adjustments will occur in team chemistry. I have no problem with Cole being traded. Indicating the need to do research to become a professor of hockey opinion on a bulletin board is helpful to me.

No need to defend my knowledge of the game to others I hope. I this is what I can expect by expressing an opinion I will just stay off the board until some actual hockey starts. :angry:

Forwards

Samsonov-Staal-Cole

Ruutu-Brind'amour-Williams

Walker-Cullen-Eaves

Conboy-Sutter-LaRose

Defense

Gleason-Liles

Corvo-Trade(from whitney and kaberle)

Wallin-Borer

Goalies

Ward

Leighton

You could trade for Ryan Suter since I think Nashville will lock up Weber. Nashville has some good D prospects, too. Suter is pretty good, maybe not as great as Weber but pretty good.

Whitney's salary might be more favorable to Nashville than Cole's $4 million.

Well, its a done deal if Whitney & Kaberle could get Suter.

I like the Whitney, Kaberle package. Put a 1st round pick and i really think we can get keith. The reason i like keith is his style of play fits our team, and his cheap contract.

Whitney and Kaberle for keith actually dumps close to 4 million of salary, which we could use to sign Stuart.

Forwards

Samsonov-Staal-Cole

Ruutu-Brind'amour-Williams

Walker-Cullen-Eaves

Conboy-Sutter-LaRose

Defense

Gleason-Liles

Corvo-Trade(from whitney and kaberle)

Wallin-Borer

Goalies

Ward

Leighton

Samsonov-Staal-Cole

Ruutu-Cullen-Williams

Walker-Brind'Amour-Eaves

Conboy-Sutter-LaRose

If Cullen is healthy he should be second line. The energy with him in the second line was awesome this past season. Not to mention his production was great with the little time he had on the ice. His numbers would be awesome if you pair him with Williams and Ruutu. Brindy should rotate with him mid season. We need to avoid a mid season funk like the past two seasons. If we can have Brindy healthy and ready to go mid season...that would pick up the rest of the team when they are tired.

Thanx for the slam.

The scorer I was referring to was Whitney. By prospect I meant a future integral piece of the D. No need to take each definition so literally. When you take 2 major pieces from a pzzle adjustments will occur in team chemistry. I have no problem with Cole being traded. Indicating the need to do research to become a professor of hockey opinion on a bulletin board is helpful to me.

No need to defend my knowledge of the game to others I hope. I this is what I can expect by expressing an opinion I will just stay off the board until some actual hockey starts. :angry:

Look, I'd like to apologize for perhaps overreacting there, but there's been a lot of jumping to conclusions here on the boards of late. While you didn't necessarily do such a thing, your post was a little vague and the fact that my original one was too didn't help at all.

Just to clarify things, I was suggesting that we get a prospect for the Whitney/Cole + Gleason trade along with a guy like Weber or Burns rather than us giving one up.

Once again, I apologize for being hostile to you and anyone else.

I like the Whitney, Kaberle package. Put a 1st round pick and i really think we can get keith. The reason i like keith is his style of play fits our team, and his cheap contract.

Whitney and Kaberle for keith actually dumps close to 4 million of salary, which we could use to sign Stuart.

That would be amazing if we could do that, and it does free up just over 4 million, which could buy you a very nice defenseman in free agency.

I don't think Detroit is going to let go of Stuart, unless he ask for a ridiculous amount, which he'll get from someone.

Keith is virtually untouchable for Chicago--if Rutherford, or any GM honestly thought the Chicago GM was enough of a dolt to make that trade, they would have fleeced him by now. You don't get a long term RFA, ALL-STAR d-man for an aging sniper and the brother of another team's number 1 d-man. And even with the pick--Chicago doesn't need picks--they have young talent--they need experience and grit. Cole would be good for them or Justin--but they don't need d-men and won't give up their number one d-man and take up more cap space for less than a legit superstar.

Williams could get a legit player based on his contract, but Cole will most likely be traded for good prospect and a draft pick. I would like to see maybe Yandle from Phoenix involved in a Cole trade--but that's just me.

The more I've been thinking about it, the more I think Ron Hainsey would be perfect for our team. He's 27 years old, and made only 900k last year, double that would be a great deal for him. He is more offensive than defensive, but I still think we should get sign an offensive defenseman and trade for a shut down. There are a lot more options available in free agency with offensive defenseman. We need one of both with, put them with Corvo and Gleason, then you have wallin with kaberle/seidenberg/borer. He skates very well, and has great size at 6'3". He's also not bad defensively, but is an offensive defenseman. He had 32 points last year playing with Columbus, imagine what he could do here.

From what I've read about him, some seem to think he isn't as physical as his size would suggest. Some even call him "soft", which would lead me to believe he is another Kaberle.

I'm not saying that Hainsey is the solution to all of our defensive problems, but he could be a cheap signing and a great value. He could play with Corvo on the second pairing, then we put Gleason and the shutdown guy we trade for as our first pairing. Then we have Wallin, Kaberle, Borer and possibly Seidenberg for the last pairing.

Hainsey had 25 penalty minutes in 78 games last season, that doesn't really seem like someone who will drop the gloves. I wouldn't mind Hainsey as an addition to the defense, I just question how much he would actually add to the defense.

I also wouldn't pair Corvo with Hainsey. Corvo would need the shut-down defenseman paired with him to hide his weaknesses on that side of the ice.

Gleason / Hainsey

Corvo / ???

??? / Wallin

That would most likely be how it shook out.

Well Corvo was paired with Kaberle, and that wasn't that bad, so I would expect Hainsey would be even better.

Gleason/Shutdown trade

Hainsey/Corvo

Wallin/

then for with Wallin we have a lot of choice, kaberle, Borer, or possibly Seidenberg.

What I would like to see on defense, as outlandish and outrageous as it sounds is as follows...

Cole traded to San Jose for Brian Campbell

Orpik signed away from Pittsburgh (sac religious here in Raleigh, but be honest with yourself. The guy would be the perfect piece to the puzzle for the Canes. He would bring toughness we don't have and he'd be an efficient shut down d-man to pair with Corvo)

somehow get rid of either Wallin or Kaberle- heck, if it takes cutting one of them and paying half their salary when they get signed to another team, its worth it

Gleason-Campbell

Corvo-Orpik

Wallin/Kaberle-Borer

That would be such a complete upgrade over what we had last year that its worth looking to do it. Combine that with the forward lines the Canes roll out, and you'd have to immediately consider the Canes a legitimate contender for not only the playoffs, but possibly the President's Trophy.

What I would like to see on defense, as outlandish and outrageous as it sounds is as follows...

Cole traded to San Jose for Brian Campbell

Orpik signed away from Pittsburgh (sac religious here in Raleigh, but be honest with yourself. The guy would be the perfect piece to the puzzle for the Canes. He would bring toughness we don't have and he'd be an efficient shut down d-man to pair with Corvo)

somehow get rid of either Wallin or Kaberle- heck, if it takes cutting one of them and paying half their salary when they get signed to another team, its worth it

Gleason-Campbell

Corvo-Orpik

Wallin/Kaberle-Borer

That would be such a complete upgrade over what we had last year that its worth looking to do it. Combine that with the forward lines the Canes roll out, and you'd have to immediately consider the Canes a legitimate contender for not only the playoffs, but possibly the President's Trophy.

sacreligious and brian campbell is a UFA, so we'd have his rights for a whole 3.5 weeks. i dont think we're a team that needs/can afford a $7-8m/year contract

It is outrageous. There's not way we get Campbell or Orpik, the locker room would be great with Orpik there.

ha yea, but i do see the point about orpik's style of play; just not the man himself. maybe that hal gill character?

I don't want to see an old face coming back to Raleigh.

there was a reason that Gill was originally let go, time to bring in some new blood

Hate to see Hedican and Wesley go... but with that money we can hopefully get out top d man. I don't think Gleason is going to get that long deal he wanted, even with some D gone. With Heds/Wes out, again, lots of cash to sign our new top d man, and Gleason won't be the top dog defenseman he or his agent had hoped he would be signed as.