The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
bigbander

Your chance to play GM...

I'm too lazy to see if its been talked about but I'd love to have Streit in our lineup. a guy who can play defense or offense, whatever is necessary. He can also help our PP a bunch, and would actually let us have threats at the point outside of Corvo and Cullen.

But I'm sure tons of teams will eb in the streit sweepstakes, and yes I know he's not a defensive gem, but he's an upgrade over Kaberle probably.

there was a reason that Gill was originally let go, time to bring in some new blood

are you thinking of someone else? i'm pretty sure gill was drafted by boston, played for them for a while, and then went to toronto before pittsburgh.

I think we should send Cole and Kaberle to St. Louis for Mckee and Mayers. St.Louis were rumored to be looking to trade Mckee last season and they could use some scoring both up front and from the D. Rutherford could then sign a couple of free agent D-men and we would be set.

DIPENTA, JOE - ANA - 700,000

MCCARTHY, STEVE - ATL - 725,000

HALE, DAVID - CGY - 590,000

SAUER, KURT - COL - 720,000

JILLSON, JEFF - COL - 500,000

FINGER, JEFF - COL - 500,000

HAINSEY, RON - CLB - 900,000

FERENCE, BRAD - DET - 500,000

WALKER, MATT - STL - 600,000

are just a few of the younger lower priced free agent D-men that could hit the market.

I think we should send Cole and Kaberle to St. Louis for Mckee and Mayers. St.Louis were rumored to be looking to trade Mckee last season and they could use some scoring both up front and from the D. Rutherford could then sign a couple of free agent D-men and we would be set.

DIPENTA, JOE - ANA - 700,000

MCCARTHY, STEVE - ATL - 725,000

HALE, DAVID - CGY - 590,000

SAUER, KURT - COL - 720,000

JILLSON, JEFF - COL - 500,000

FINGER, JEFF - COL - 500,000

HAINSEY, RON - CLB - 900,000

FERENCE, BRAD - DET - 500,000

WALKER, MATT - STL - 600,000

are just a few of the younger lower priced free agent D-men that could hit the market.

Hale, Finger, and Ference us to play here in Albany. Finger was here in Albany last season when Colorado was putting players here with the Canes. Would love to see Ference and Finger come over to the Canes. I thougt anyways that both players were very solid D-men down here with us. Hale was ok here but needed to work on some things.

Hainsey was actually on the second pairing in Columbus, which means he could produce more with a better team to play with.

I would love to have Hainsey for his puck moving skills and also for his size. But we know there will be some GM out there willing to over pay him with a 3-4 million salary...and we also know thats not going to be JR doing the overpaying.

Maybe not... You also have Brad Stuart and others who are bigger names so maybe they might be snatched up first, or maybe JR can sit down and figure out something with him.

So the "Erik Cole" thread is currently full of of some good trade proposals and some rather absurd ones(please don't consult NHL08 before posting). Anyway, what realistic trades do you think JR could pull off? What UFA's do you think we could afford? I'll venture a few...

-What about Cole for Derek Morris-both are UFA after this yr, have similar contracts(Morris makes 3.9mil next yr I think), and Morris can pretty much play in any situation and would pretty much instantly become our #1 D-man.

-As far as UFA's go-I'd think JR may take a look at Dmtri Kalinin and/or Jim Vandermeer. Kalinin would probably be an option as a puck mover that JR's hinted he's looking for. Vandermeer could bring a nassty side along w/ a little bit of offense. Of these two, a D-man in the Vandermeer mold in probably more likely. I really do think JR will make a move for a bona-fide top-4 minute eater(or at least pray he does or we're toast), and he'll end up rounding out the roster w/ an underachieving/physical guy that could be had for cheap...

Frankly I have no idea. I've kinda looked at the free agent market, but don't remember anything at the moment. I just hope JR works one of his miracles and we can nab a top 4 defenseman and possibly some other kind of defenseman through free agency that a lot of people aren't looking at. He tends to look for the diamonds in the rough (See: Matt Cullen, Sergei, ) type thing... sometimes those diamonds end up being cubic zirconia(See: Jeff Hamilton, Letowski, etc) ...

I have faith in JR. He knows what the team needs. Did anybody see the Stiller/Commie trade for Corvo/Eaves? Not that I remember. So who knows what and who we're in store for. I'm just going to sit back, see who we draft, hope my Yanks can get back in the race, and that the Canes get what they need.

I like the idea of Cole for Mckee.

I haven't seen him play much since the 06 cup run but was very impressed with him during that time (until the staph infection knocked him out of the playoffs before game 7).

Tough shut down dman that would immediately help our d.

Both are about the same age and make the same money.

I like the idea of Cole for Mckee.

I haven't seen him play much since the 06 cup run but was very impressed with him during that time (until the staph infection knocked him out of the playoffs before game 7).

Tough shut down dman that would immediately help our d.

Both are about the same age and make the same money.

McKee is overpaid and extremely injury prone. He's played a combined 89 games the last two seasons. He's a #4/5 defenseman and we need someone better than that.

To Vancouver:

Erik Cole

pick or prospect - if he does not sign an extension

To Carolina:

Kevin Bieksa

Vancouver needs a speedy right winger to play with the Sedins.

Bieksa is exactly what this team needs. He can pass, he's fiesty, not afraid to hit and will fit in nicely on our top 4.

*how i got this idea, Nucks blogger likes Cole or Williams. Williams has more impact on this team and will be harder to replace IMHO, which is why I put Cole.

To Vancouver:

Erik Cole

pick or prospect - if he does not sign an extension

To Carolina:

Kevin Bieksa

Vancouver needs a speedy right winger to play with the Sedins.

Bieksa is exactly what this team needs. He can pass, he's fiesty, not afraid to hit and will fit in nicely on our top 4.

*how i got this idea, Nucks blogger likes Cole or Williams. Williams has more impact on this team and will be harder to replace IMHO, which is why I put Cole.

I would do this, good deal for both sides. Bieska is just a little cheaper than Cole at 3.75, but well worth it imo.

I'll throw out a trade proposal:

To Carolina:

Ryan Suter

To Nashville:

Scott Walker

Ray Whitney

Suter instantly makes this team's defense better and will fit right in beside Gleason as the top-pair. This trade would also clear some salary space (likely around $2 million after you factor in Suter's extension) which Rutherford could use to further improve the defense in free agency.

Even without Walker and Whitney in the line-up, the Hurricanes would still have three solid offensive lines:

Ruutu / Staal / Cole

Samsonov / Brind'Amour / Williams

Eaves / Cullen / Sutter

While I was behind the "trade Cole" movement before it was the consensus opinion around here (by that I mean at the start of this past season, where the mere mention of Cole headed elsewhere was met with hostility by alot of people around here), I just don't think Laviolette or Rutherford should interfere with the chemistry that started to develop between Cole, Ruutu, and Staal late last year. That was our #1 line when the team was one of the best in the NHL down the stretch and it was only when Whitney was re-inserted back into the line-up with Cole and Staal that the team faltered in the last few games. I could see this deal happen; Nashville needs depth on offense which Walker and Whitney could certainly provide, Walker would likely be willing to waive his no-trade-clause to return to Nashville for one last run, and (for those that care) both would still be close enough to keep their homes in Carolina.

If LaRose's contract negotiations carry on much longer, I wouldn't be surprised to see his rights added to the above deal I proposed. I think Sutter fills any type of void, on the penalty-kill and otherwise, that would be created by the loss of LaRose.

I like Suter, but I don't think they give us their 22 year old for 2 of our 30+ guys. I could see them taking either one of Whitney or Walker (likely Walker), and the rights to LaRose or Ruutu or even a pick or prospect. Walker I would think would waive his NTC to go back to Nashville and I'd think since they know Walker, they'd what him over Whitney. Plus I've heard Shea Weber is asking for about $5M per season, so depending on how much they spend, they may not beable to retain Suter.

I'll throw something else in that deal:

To Nashville:

Scott Walker

Chad LaRose

and whatelse to get this done

To Carolina:

Ryan Suter

Jordin Tootoo (love this guy)

As much as I love Rosie, I do believe Brandon Sutter can fill his role.

Somedays I wish I was a GM :lol:

some trade proposals I'd throw at the Predators GM :

To Carolina: Ryan Suter

To Nashville: Erik Cole

or

To Carolina: Kevin Klein (or Ville Koistinen) - if willing to sign multi year contract at 1.5-2.0M /year

To Carolina: Florida 2008 1st round pick (9th overall) held by Nashville from the Vokoun trade

To Nashville: Erik Cole

To Nashville: Carolina 2008 1st round pick (14th overall)

No way, Klein is not worth Cole, he's a depth defenseman at best.

It would be nice to move up, but with that deal we wouldn't have a top defenseman unless the draft pick develops into one, and JR doesn't want to wait for that.

I wouldn't say that. Klein still has a bright future ahead of him in the NHL and would already be a steady NHL defenseman if he played for any other team but Nashville. Nashville's depth essentially forced him to the press box. At one point, the Predators seriously entertained the idea to move him to forward just so they could keep him in the line-up.