The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
bigbander

Your chance to play GM...

All I'm gonna say is trading Whitney is a bad idea. Very consistent since he's been a Cane, and I think he's too underrated and we won't get fair value in return.

I think there are plenty of general managers in the NHL that know how valuable Whitney can be, when healthy. He's the type of under-the-radar acquisition that can make a general manager look like a genius, which was what happened to Rutherford in '05-'06.

While both players (Cole and Whitney) have injury issues, only Whitney is signed to a contract that extends past this season. That's the #1 reason why I believe he would draw more attention on the trade block and would command a better player in return. Unless a team believes that a certain player is someone who can put them on another level (Hossa, Thornton, etc.), they won't give up immediate assets for someone with one year left on their contract. All you need to do is look at the trade deadline deals, where most of what is passed around are draft picks and prospects. Cole's contract history would also seem to indicate that he won't re-sign with whatever team he is dealt to before he can test the free agent market.

With all of those factors in play, I just don't think Cole is the guy that will get this team what they need through a trade. I would say, in a contract year, he is far more valuable to this team for what he can add on the ice or what he could fetch at the trade deadline. In his last contract year, he was on a point-per-game pace before Orpik ended his season early. That's why my proposal shifted from "Cole to..." and became "Walker and Whitney to...", because I think more teams would be interested in that package than would be interested in Cole alone. People may say how tough it would be to replace the production of Whitney and the toughness of Walker, but I would just point to the production of Samsonov and the toughness of Sutter. Both will most likely be with the Hurricanes next season and I could see both step up and replace Walker and Whitney immediately in the line-up.

It's tough to pin-point exactly what Cole means to this team. If you look back at the '05-'06 season, the team was clearly affected by his loss. It took Recchi AND Weight to replace what Cole brought to the table. While he hasn't really played up to the level of his '05-'06 performance recently, I still say there is enough reason to believe he could reach that level once more in a contract year. If he has the type of season we all know he is capable of, this team will be extremely hard to beat in the Eastern Conference and another Stanley Cup Finals appearance would certainly be possible. That success would make it much easier to say goodbye to him in free agency. However, that success could also make him change his mind about free agency and re-sign with the team at a discounted price.

I think there are plenty of general managers in the NHL that know how valuable Whitney can be, when healthy. He's the type of under-the-radar acquisition that can make a general manager look like a genius, which was what happened to Rutherford in '05-'06.

While both players (Cole and Whitney) have injury issues, only Whitney is signed to a contract that extends past this season. That's the #1 reason why I believe he would draw more attention on the trade block and would command a better player in return. Unless a team believes that a certain player is someone who can put them on another level (Hossa, Thornton, etc.), they won't give up immediate assets for someone with one year left on their contract. All you need to do is look at the trade deadline deals, where most of what is passed around are draft picks and prospects. Cole's contract history would also seem to indicate that he won't re-sign with whatever team he is dealt to before he can test the free agent market.

With all of those factors in play, I just don't think Cole is the guy that will get this team what they need through a trade. I would say, in a contract year, he is far more valuable to this team for what he can add on the ice or what he could fetch at the trade deadline. In his last contract year, he was on a point-per-game pace before Orpik ended his season early. That's why my proposal shifted from "Cole to..." and became "Walker and Whitney to...", because I think more teams would be interested in that package than would be interested in Cole alone. People may say how tough it would be to replace the production of Whitney and the toughness of Walker, but I would just point to the production of Samsonov and the toughness of Sutter. Both will most likely be with the Hurricanes next season and I could see both step up and replace Walker and Whitney immediately in the line-up.

It's tough to pin-point exactly what Cole means to this team. If you look back at the '05-'06 season, the team was clearly affected by his loss. It took Recchi AND Weight to replace what Cole brought to the table. While he hasn't really played up to the level of his '05-'06 performance recently, I still say there is enough reason to believe he could reach that level once more in a contract year. If he has the type of season we all know he is capable of, this team will be extremely hard to beat in the Eastern Conference and another Stanley Cup Finals appearance would certainly be possible. That success would make it much easier to say goodbye to him in free agency. However, that success could also make him change his mind about free agency and re-sign with the team at a discounted price.

I wish everyone would read your post. What ive been trying to explain in the Cole thread, is basically what you just said.

Teams would love to have those two for their gritty, veteran prescence. Teams wouldn`t want to give up one of their best defenseman for streaky Cole.

I especially agree with the Sutter and Samsonov easily replace Whitney and Walker.

Teams are NOT going to take on 2 of our aging players, who are what 34 and 35, for their young defenseman. Not going to happen.

I see your Whitney point as I agree and think Samsonov can fill his void. When Samsonov came on, I felt he handled the puck better than Whitney. Not to mention he is younger.

No way you can compare Sutter to Walker. Sutter will in no way make up for Walker's absence this year. Walker has proven himself at this level. We have no idea how Sutter is going to pain out. And whose to say this guy who everyone feels needs to put on weight is going to come in here and provide that physical presence that Walker has. Is Sutter going to drop the gloves and fight guys twice his size like Walker? I doubt it.

If a Walker or Whitney are the ones, JR is going to have to sweeten the pot, like the rights to LaRose or Ruutu, or our first round pick or both.

I've heard rumors that JR is looking to trade up in the draft, so June 20th should be real interesting.

You make some excellent points. Walker has a NTC however. The multi-million dollar question is will Cole return to form? He is a high risk-high reward proposition for us or for another team. There is no question that we can succeed without him, and no question that if he returns to form we will be very tough to beat. I think the real question is this, is there a GM with a bit of a gambler's streak, who needs offense and will give up something good for Cole? And there is a good chance that the answer is "no" since JR has undoubtably tried this move in the past. Still, there is a chance that some GM would who's team has been burned by Cole in the past, might want to take that chance. If so, we should go for it. If not...

Whitney must have more value than people think. There are only 40-50 guys in the entire league that approach a point per game. That's less than two per team. Sampsonov can do it, but has not proven Whitney's consistancy. Still, a healthy Whitney would be the #2 scorer on several teams.

You make some excellent points. Walker has a NTC however. The multi-million dollar question is will Cole return to form? He is a high risk-high reward proposition for us or for another team. There is no question that we can succeed without him, and no question that if he returns to form we will be very tough to beat. I think the real question is this, is there a GM with a bit of a gambler's streak, who needs offense and will give up something good for Cole? And there is a good chance that the answer is "no" since JR has undoubtably tried this move in the past. Still, there is a chance that some GM would who's team has been burned by Cole in the past, might want to take that chance. If so, we should go for it. If not...

Whitney must have more value than people think. There are only 40-50 guys in the entire league that approach a point per game. That's less than two per team. Sampsonov can do it, but has not proven Whitney's consistancy. Still, a healthy Whitney would be the #2 scorer on several teams.

Gillis is looking to make a bang according to Nuck fans. Their blogger feels Carolina is their #1 trading partner b/c we have what they want....COLE. Yes he said they need Cole in a big way and they will deal with his injuries and negotiations. He felt if Cole signs an extension, straight up for Bieksa would be fair. If not, then the rights to LaRose or an NHL ready prospect (Nolan) would work.

Of course this was just me and him going back and forth and what we both decided was fair. But neither one of us are JR or Gillis so what we think doesn't quite matter.

I mentioned Walker and Whitney with Nashville clearly in my mind as their destination. They're a team that desperately wants depth on offense and desperately needs to unload some of their excess on defense. Not to mention a potential locker room problem in Suter, who may or may not have stated that he doesn't want to play for Nashville's head coach anymore. That's why I believe the Predators, before any other team, would overlook age in any type of deal that added solid offense to their roster. Another reason why Nashville was the destination I had in mind was because of Walker's no-trade-clause, which I doubt he would waive in any other situation EXCEPT to return to Nashville to finish off his career.

NTC are broken often especially when the are handled appropriately. Players break them all the time b/c it ends up being a better situation for both sides. Don't count out the possibility of a trade because they have a NTC in their contract.

This may have been covered before, but is there a list of the available free agent defenseman and their likely salaries for next year? What are we talking to pay one of the best on the list? I am wondering if our best move might be to sign one big time free agent. Just bit the bullet and get one of the top FA available, just this once. The only thing is that it would be ideal if they made less than Staal, so he is still clearly our top guy.

Then work whatever trade we can to pick up that 3-4 defenseman. If we can trade Cole for a solid 3-4 guy with upside, we can also free up cap space to use for that free agent I mentioned. I only remention Cole in this line of thinking that he could free up cap space.

Hopefully, Ruutu will be signed shortly. Most of the trade proposals have been based off of the assumption that Ruutu would be a Hurricane next year, which still may not be the case. If that happens, I don't see how this team could still afford to move a forward like Cole and it not have a significant impact on the offensive production. At that point, it may come down to free agency and who the team can afford to add.

The whole point of trading Cole is that we have 10 top forwards and only 9 spots. If we lose Ruutu, then it all works out, and Free Agency would be our best bet. Though, it looks like slim pickings out there.

The Canes ended up #5 in the league in goals scored, that with lots of HuriRats, injuries, and trading Stillman. That was with Cole in the line up. Take away Cole's 22 goals and we are still #11 in the league in scoring, BUT, Cole's forward replacement will score some goals, and the upgraded offensive dman will contribute some also. Probaly they replace Cole's 22 goals, but even if they combine for 15 goals, we will only drop 1-2 spots in most goals scored, but will have bolstered the defense.

Losing the old Cole would hurt, losing last year's Cole, not so much.

Hopefully, Ruutu will be signed shortly. Most of the trade proposals have been based off of the assumption that Ruutu would be a Hurricane next year, which still may not be the case. If that happens, I don't see how this team could still afford to move a forward like Cole and it not have a significant impact on the offensive production. At that point, it may come down to free agency and who the team can afford to add.

The problem with Ruutu, until a trade is made, he falls on the 3rd line. JR has even mentioned that if he can make a trade Ruutu will move up to a top 6 role, but right now, the 3rd is all they got for him. Ruutu and his agent want top 6 money. So until JR can move a top 6 guy, Ruutu will likely go unsigned. Which is another reason why I keep saying Cole is the guy to be moved. Ladd was pegged to be Cole's replacement, but he was traded for Ruutu who has a more physical side to him, which we will miss when Cole leaves, but if we have Ruutu we won't miss.

The problem with Ruutu, until a trade is made, he falls on the 3rd line. JR has even mentioned that if he can make a trade Ruutu will move up to a top 6 role, but right now, the 3rd is all they got for him. Ruutu and his agent want top 6 money. So until JR can move a top 6 guy, Ruutu will likely go unsigned. Which is another reason why I keep saying Cole is the guy to be moved. Ladd was pegged to be Cole's replacement, but he was traded for Ruutu who has a more physical side to him, which we will miss when Cole leaves, but if we have Ruutu we won't miss.

We don't lose Ruutu; he's an RFA and all we have to do is make a qualifying offer. Then our choices are to negotiate with and/or trade Erik or negotiate with and/or trade Ruutu because we have 10 top 9 forwards. If somebody makes an offer for Ruutu we get draft picks back. But I agree that with Ruutu, if we do lose Cole, Tuomo is a more than adequate replacement. Given top 6 ice time this guy seems to be very, very capable.

I would like to see less wringing of hands over the potential trades, because we could really end up with some great assets back. I love our players, but I also loved Commie and Stiller, but we're a better, younger team w/Corvo and Eaves. I love Ladd's potential, but Tuomo more than proved his value late last year....in the event of moving Cole, Williams, Whitney, or Ruutu (I believe those are the most likely trading chips), we will get great players back who fit this team and help us move forward.

Also, I'm not necessarily one to shy away from trading draft picks for YOUNGER players. So if we have to throw in draft

pick(s) to get the young stud defenseman, I think that's more than fair. The trade-off is the 3 to 4 years of experience vs. the 3 - 4 years of career. Give me the 24 or 25 or 26 year old NHL ready player vs. the "potential" of what our draft pick yields. This does, however, only make sense if you're too stocked at certain positions (like forward)....

if that happens will you change your moniker to "ruutularosefan"??

Also, I'm not necessarily one to shy away from trading draft picks for YOUNGER players. So if we have to throw in draft

pick(s) to get the young stud defenseman, I think that's more than fair. The trade-off is the 3 to 4 years of experience vs. the 3 - 4 years of career. Give me the 24 or 25 or 26 year old NHL ready player vs. the "potential" of what our draft pick yields. This does, however, only make sense if you're too stocked at certain positions (like forward)....

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Another potential deal that makes sense would be Cole to the Predators for Klein and their second first-round draft pick (#15 overall). Klein is a NHL-caliber offensive defenseman who has been forced to the press box due to various circumstances in Nashville. That second first-round pick could either be used to select a prospect or packaged with our first-round draft pick to move up and pick another defenseman.