The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
pilige

All things Brandon Sutter

I'm not sure what to expect out of Sutter...from what I read he was considered a "safe" pick...which means he'll get some things done but don't expect him to be the next Ovechkin. I fear that he really won't be anything special...but we'll see. He needs to seriously bulk up though before coming to the NHL.

I really hope he ends up in Albany for a while at least. He is a big guy, but he needs to build up some so he doesn't get crushed up here. Glad to see they are getting the ball rolling though.

He's not elligible for Albany, he's not old enough.
He can play in Albany this season after his junior season ends (and it will end on March 15th, as there is no way Red Deer makes the playoffs). He just can't play there next year.

I've watched Sutter alot and before he is anywhere close to being an NHL player he needs to bulk up BIG TIME. 174 pounds AND being 6'3 is not great for an NHL player and future grinder.

I really hope they just let him stay in juniors, or wherever he would play, until at least the end of next season. Let him develop a little bit more and save a year on that contract. That way we can get a little more use out of him while he'd still be cheap. We're ok at center now as it is, unless there's something up with Brindy or Cullen (hopefully not).

I've watched Sutter alot and before he is anywhere close to being an NHL player he needs to bulk up BIG TIME. 174 pounds AND being 6'3 is not great for an NHL player and future grinder.

Has he gained weight this season?

Interesting indeed, but I'm not surprised. Francis has been watching him very closely this year. And even though he is playing on a Red Deer team that pretty much sucks, he's about a point per game. We do need a good 4th line center, so putting him there would get him a taste of the big leagues, but would be limited minutes as well.

I really hope they just let him stay in juniors, or wherever he would play, until at least the end of next season. Let him develop a little bit more and save a year on that contract. That way we can get a little more use out of him while he'd still be cheap. We're ok at center now as it is, unless there's something up with Brindy or Cullen (hopefully not).
A year would only count off the contract if he plays in the NHL. What could happen is they sign him to an NHL contract that starts next season and then have him sign a pro tryout contract with Albany.

Interesting indeed, but I'm not surprised. Francis has been watching him very closely this year. And even though he is playing on a Red Deer team that pretty much sucks, he's about a point per game. We do need a good 4th line center, so putting him there would get him a taste of the big leagues, but would be limited minutes as well.

That's exactly what I was thinking, was that he might see some time on the 4th line if he's up in Raleigh. Though I'm not sure we'd see that unless the Canes fall out of playoff contention, mainly to give him a little experience. Or if we end up trading away more forwards and really need some 4th liners.

Also, depending on how long Aucoin is up here, Albany could use another center for their team. So that could be the reason, too. I'm thinking Albany is a much more likely destination.

No age max, but there is a minimum age of 19. I think that's what people were thinking about.

His coming birthday probably has a lot to do with the timing of this news, not the trade like somebody suggested.

No age max, but there is a minimum age of 19. I think that's what people were thinking about.

His coming birthday probably has a lot to do with the timing of this news, not the trade like somebody suggested.

then how are these guys playing at the age of 18?

and if he's gonna be 19, why are you guys saying he wont be able to play next year?

Ah, okay. I was wrong. According to those boards there is only a age requirement for CHL players, and it's 20 or having had played 4 years of junior already.

As far as I know, there are no such requirements on the NHL though...

Very bad decision, in my opinion. The Hurricanes can't afford to rush this kid, especially when there a guys like Blanchard, Dwyer, and Hughes who could potentially fill any role that Sutter could fill on this team in the next year or two. I'd like to see those guys get an opportunity to prove themselves before someone like Sutter is signed.

I can't see them pulling him all the way up to the NHL level already. He is no where near big enough to play in the NHL from what I've seen of him, and there are more capable young players that we can call up if we just want someone to play on the fourth line.