The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
pilige

All things Brandon Sutter

What is he add's 20 lbs over the summer and come's into camp at 195 and has good preseason game's. I think we should sign him but he's gota put on weight before he play's in the NHL fulltime and I think he know's that and I wouldn't be surprised to see him put on weight this summer, If Cam can lose 20 over a summer, he can gain it. He need's to be given a chance though, I think.

Very bad decision, in my opinion. The Hurricanes can't afford to rush this kid, especially when there a guys like Blanchard, Dwyer, and Hughes who could potentially fill any role that Sutter could fill on this team in the next year or two. I'd like to see those guys get an opportunity to prove themselves before someone like Sutter is signed.

The only guy out of the three you mentioned who plays a similar role as Sutter is Blanchard. And Hughes is still a few years away from the big show. The fact that he can't stay healthy this year doesn't help.

What is he add's 20 lbs over the summer and come's into camp at 195 and has good preseason game's. I think we should sign him but he's gota put on weight before he play's in the NHL fulltime and I think he know's that and I wouldn't be surprised to see him put on weight this summer, If Cam can lose 20 over a summer, he can gain it. He need's to be given a chance though, I think.

Losing 20lbs of fat is way easier than gaining 20lbs of muscle which is what Sutter needs to do. He's so skinny. Back during the super series there was a photo of him being worked on by an athletic therapist and his legs look like the average guys arms. Total chicken legs.

The only guy out of the three you mentioned who plays a similar role as Sutter is Blanchard. And Hughes is still a few years away from the big show. The fact that he can't stay healthy this year doesn't help.

Losing 20lbs of fat is way easier than gaining 20lbs of muscle which is what Sutter needs to do. He's so skinny. Back during the super series there was a photo of him being worked on by an athletic therapist and his legs look like the average guys arms. Total chicken legs.

And the most obvious point to me watching him during Camp was his conditioning was lacking as well as his "frail appearance". He needs at least 20lbs of muscle which is doable but probably not during a season travelling in the Jrs.

Maybe they arent happy with his progress and want to get him on a contract that has some written incentives and goals in writing????

I really don't know what to think about this :huh:

Edit: AHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

It just came to me!!!!! Brent Sutter told JR and Lavi after the beatdown Saturday that if they didnt give his boy a contract he would be forced to lay another beatdown on us and further demoralize the boys on the way to trying to get a 3rd seed....

Duh people.... this was way too obvious! Watch for the news of Brandon signed to a 17 year $182M contract in the N&O Friday :lol:

Eric Staal wasn't physically ready either, he was rail thin though not as light as Sutter, and got manhandled his first year. He would get pinned on the boards and get the puck taken away routinely as a rookie but he wasn't being asked to carry the load either. His conditioning wasn't there either as he, after a pretty good start, really faded down the stretch and was mostly invisible the latter part of the season.

One of the main reasons they had him play early was that he understood the game so well, which is exactly what was said about Sutter in the preseason. The other reason was to be able to play with Francis, as his career was winding down, to get some mentoring and in-game coaching from the "C." Good parallel with Brindy and Sutter perhaps.

JR said he might go to Albany this year, but they are projecting him to be at the NHL next year.

The Carolina Hurricanes have opened contract talks with 2007 first-round draft pick Brandon Sutter in hopes of bringing him into the team when his junior season is over.

"The door has been opened for negotiations to start," Hurricanes general manager Jim Rutherford said Wednesday.

Sutter, a 6-foot-3, 174-pound center, plays for Red Deer of the Western Hockey League. He's likely to be available to the Canes after March 15 if they can get him signed. As the 11th overall pick, he's in line to get a three-year contract at the maximum entry-level salary of $875,000, but bonuses are always a point of discussion.

Sutter has 21 goals and 22 assists in 47 games this season. Over the long term, it remains to be seen whether Sutter will be a productive offensive player in the NHL or a third-line defensive center.

"Based on what we've seen we project him to play in the NHL next season," Rutherford said. "Whether he would come right up with us or goes to Albany for the end of this season remains to be determined. There are lots of factors, including what players we have here."

http://www.newsobserver.com/796/story/943710.html

Bringing him to Raleigh does not mean he will play. He might be brought in to feel the playoff atmosphere and to figure out what he needs to do to play at this level. As the top prospect in the system, I hope that JR won't play him until he is ready.

This is the biggest problem I've had with JR, he rushes player development. Did it with Staal and did it with putting pressure on Johnson to sign, and those are only two instances. Please send the guy to the AHL next year. At the least they need to start him there and let him prove he's ready for the NHL by playing well in the AHL.

What I find funny are the ones saying he isn't ready. Oh I don't know, have you been following him this year? Have you gone to Red Deer and watched the games, have you talked to him?

Francis has been following this kid all year long. He has flown to Red Deer to watch the kid play. Each time he's in Red Deer, he takes time and talks to the kid, find out where he's at, what he needs to work on etc.

If JR thinks he's ready, he's getting that from Francis, the guy who has followed the kid all year.

Besides it was coming. The last trip out to Red Deer Francis made a comment about "taking it from there".

We're saying he's not ready because he's far too underweight to do anything of use. It'd be better to either stay another year in Red Deer to improve his skills, or spend a year (at least) in Albany to fine tune them.

There is a difference between saying that he's not ready and that he needs to prove himself. There is a big difference between juniors and the AHL and the NHL. I personally feel he should prove that he has the talent and more importantly confidence to play his game in the AHL before being thrust into the NHL, that is why I think he should at least start there next year. Now it is possible he'll have a fantastic training camp and earn a spot but even in that case the Canes shouldn't commit to leaving him with the big club.

But as for rushing players JR has a recent track record of salivating over first round picks potential and plugging them into the lineup, which in Staal's case appeared to be too early based on his production. That is why I question if Sutter is ready.

There is a difference between saying that he's not ready and that he needs to prove himself. There is a big difference between juniors and the AHL and the NHL. I personally feel he should prove that he has the talent and more importantly confidence to play his game in the AHL before being thrust into the NHL, that is why I think he should at least start there next year. Now it is possible he'll have a fantastic training camp and earn a spot but even in that case the Canes shouldn't commit to leaving him with the big club.

But as for rushing players JR has a recent track record of salivating over first round picks potential and plugging them into the lineup, which in Staal's case appeared to be too early based on his production. That is why I question if Sutter is ready.

*cough Andrew Ladd cough*

*cough Andrew Ladd cough*

I would use Ladd as an example before Staal. #4 overall pick thrown into the NHL after just one season in the AHL, just three years later his career would appear to be at a crossroads where we are unsure if he has a future with this team.

I use Staal as an example because his first year he had 31 points. Then he spent a year in the AHL, and followed that with a 100 point campaign. I don't think that 100 point year and the AHL are wholly unconnected.

I would use Ladd as an example before Staal. #4 overall pick thrown into the NHL after just one season in the AHL, just three years later his career would appear to be at a crossroads where we are unsure if he has a future with this team.

Yup. Im fairly sure if Ron Francis thinks he's ready, its for his first pro contract that will be a two way with Albany. It'll give him a 10 game cushion to see how could fit in at the NHL level and put him on the roster for the Riverrats for more pro development that cant get in Jr's.

BTW, both Staal and Ladd are great examples of players being rushed, IMO.

Yup. Im fairly sure if Ron Francis thinks he's ready, its for his first pro contract that will be a two way with Albany. It'll give him a 10 game cushion to see how could fit in at the NHL level and put him on the roster for the Riverrats for more pro development that cant get in Jr's.

BTW, both Staal and Ladd are great examples of players being rushed, IMO.

Well he can't play in Albany next year cause he has to be 20.

Sounds to me the majority is saying he isn't ready b/c he needs to bulk up. Hmm spending a summer with Brind'Amour and Freisen just might do that.

I understand its just Juniors, but the kid is a point per game player.

And I wouldn't even go to comparing him to Staal or Ladd. Kids grow in their own way. I'm not saying he's ready and I'm not saying he's not ready. Fact is, I haven't been following the kid all year long, nor has anyone else. So we have no idea on whether he is ready or not.

And I love how everyone is saying JR is rushing him. I'll say it again, Sutter is Francis' project. They wouldn't be talking to him if Francis thinks he isn't ready.

And I love how everyone is saying JR is rushing him. I'll say it again, Sutter is Francis' project. They wouldn't be talking to him if Francis thinks he isn't ready.

I dont think everyone is saying they ARE rushing him. Its happened to two of our players so people may be leary of it, thats all. Staal himslef said that the lock out year in the AHL was the best thing for his career and he came back with the huge season in 06.

I dont think everyone is saying they ARE rushing him. Its happened to two of our players so people may be leary of it, thats all. Staal himslef said that the lock out year in the AHL was the best thing for his career and he came back with the huge season in 06.

I've also watched young Sutter and agree with the statements about his size.

However, I remember taking a look at young Eric Staal and thinking... wow one hit and this guy will break like a twig...

Sutter has way above defensive averages for a junior leaguer and Keith Aucoin is an UFA if I am not mistaken. If that is the case, securing him for the big team or our team in Albandy is a very smart move imo.

Under NO circumstances would I put him on any team where he only gets 10 minutes a game. His talents need 20+ nightly in the minors at least 15+ in the NHL if he is to be developed properly.

This kid will be a Selke type player from what I see of him and the way he thinks his way around the ice.

That said he is average a goal every other game right now.

By "bringing him into the team", I hope they mean Albany, right? No way he'd be able to play in the NHL. Or did we not learn the rushing development lesson yet?

I can't think of anyone recently...who have we rushed? Staal? Cam?