The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
pilige

All things Brandon Sutter

Anyone think Brind'Amour's injury is going to affect how quickly Sutter is thrown into the fire?

Doubt it. Unless this injury ends Rod's career, Sutter will have to wait until next year.

Doubt it. Unless this injury ends Rod's career, Sutter will have to wait until next year.

You really never know. An ACL tear is a very serious injury, and its not like Rod is getting any younger.

He keeps himself in peak shape though, so I would think that he is gonna make it through.

If they think he can play at this level, let him get some experience. Sid was tiny when he came in, I know, I know he was the next what and what ever but if JR is confident in this kid I dont see what the harm would be. Especial with Rod going down now we need another center on this team, I wouldent mind seeing him run a few shifts on the fourth line.

Well, according to Lord Stanley Blog, Coach Sutter thinks his son will probably play another year in the juniors. But Rutherford thinks he will make his deput in the NHL next season.

It also sounds like they can pull him in for 10 games this year without it counting towards his Rookie year. That would be interesting to see him play this year. With his lack of size and strength, he would make LaRose look a Hedican.

We shall see!

Did Sutter not make a huge impact on the World Championships last year with some of the best players in the world in hockey at his current weight? He was front page news everyday, took out some players too at 165lbs. I hope we see him next year in the NHL. If Ward can lose 20lbs and it be front page news in the hockey world and Tripp Tracy to nauseum, I think Sutter can add some bulk this summer and shock the hockey world, gods, and posters here.

Did Sutter not make a huge impact on the World Championships last year with some of the best players in the world in hockey at his current weight? He was front page news everyday, took out some players too at 165lbs. I hope we see him next year in the NHL. If Ward can lose 20lbs and it be front page news in the hockey world and Tripp Tracy to nauseum, I think Sutter can add some bulk this summer and shock the hockey world, gods, and posters here.

It's easier to lose weight than it is to gain muscle.

It's easier to lose weight than it is to gain muscle.

True, but the kid plays his current weight much "heavier" then most. Despite his weight, he will impress you with the way he uses his body to finish some bone crushing checks. Remember, Staal was like a twig when he first played for us. If he can get in 10+ minutes a game up here this year and it not count towards his rookie year that would be a nice bonus.

True, but the kid plays his current weight much "heavier" then most. Despite his weight, he will impress you with the way he uses his body to finish some bone crushing checks. Remember, Staal was like a twig when he first played for us. If he can get in 10+ minutes a game up here this year and it not count towards his rookie year that would be a nice bonus.

Eh, I rather Sutter get some more experience. It's not like we're in desperation mode, and he has to be called up. We've still got plenty of skilled players.

Im pretty sure he played pretty well in the Canada vs Russia series this summer as well. I cant remember but I think he mostly played the checking line, so he can probably throw his weight around pretty good. I wouldnt mind seeing him up here, but only for the 10 games or so.

Im pretty sure he played pretty well in the Canada vs Russia series this summer as well. I cant remember but I think he mostly played the checking line, so he can probably throw his weight around pretty good. I wouldnt mind seeing him up here, but only for the 10 games or so.

Actually that would be a good compromise. :)

I don't really see a point in bringing him to the NHL right now. We aren't desperate for centers, we have Aucoin, Staal, Letowski, and Cullen and if they are looking to get someone time at winger why not give Nolan a shot? I doubt we will see him this year.

I don't really see a point in bringing him to the NHL right now. We aren't desperate for centers, we have Aucoin, Staal, Letowski, and Cullen and if they are looking to get someone time at winger why not give Nolan a shot? I doubt we will see him this year.

We're actually talking about next year, not this year. :)

Its now March 10th, and with 5 days until the end of Red Deer's season, what do you guys think about the Canes signing sutter?

There was a very small blurb in the N&O either Friday or Saturday. Said they are talking with his agent to get him signed to play in Albany for the rest of this year. Seems like they want some help for the playoffs and get him some experience.

I think that would be good. Even if he gets minimum ice time, the exposure of a playoff game, even in Albany, is still something. And, the same would probably hapen next year, only with us and albany. If we made the playoffs, I'm sure Sutter would be called up if he bulked up a little to somewhat, and play a few minutes for exposure.

In the recent CaneVision interview, JR said that Red Deer used him to much last year and he needs rest. He fit in well in Albany so he is impressed with his play.

BUT...when training camp comes along he will either do well and we will sign him or, since he is such a young player, he can go back to the Juniors and play another year. By signing him I guess they mean for the NHL or the AHL. Had to think about what he was saying.

So how long do we have rights to him then? If we send him back to the Juniors when will he be eligible to be picked up by another team? I don't want to lose him but curious what his contract with us says right now.

Any help?

In the recent CaneVision interview, JR said that Red Deer used him to much last year and he needs rest. He fit in well in Albany so he is impressed with his play.

BUT...when training camp comes along he will either do well and we will sign him or, since he is such a young player, he can go back to the Juniors and play another year. By signing him I guess they mean for the NHL or the AHL. Had to think about what he was saying.

So how long do we have rights to him then? If we send him back to the Juniors when will he be eligible to be picked up by another team? I don't want to lose him but curious what his contract with us says right now.

Any help?

He already signed a contract.

I believe if he plays more than 10 NHL games, we loose a year of his RFA status. Its probably going to be like what Pittsburgh did with Jordan. Keep him up for the 10 games then make the decision is he stays or goes back to Juniors.

Can anyone can confirm what number Sutter will use when he gets to the NHL? He is using 16 at the camp. I am contemplating getting a jersey and it would be embarassing if the number did not match when he eventually gets here. 16 is open at this time and he is using it at the camp.