The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
pilige

All things Brandon Sutter

I hear he has been wearing 15 in camp. I would assume he'd stick with that. He has worn 12 and 14 before... both numbers obviously not available here. I suppose 41 could also be a possibility.

I hear he has been wearing 15 in camp. I would assume he'd stick with that. He has worn 12 and 14 before... both numbers obviously not available here. I suppose 41 could also be a possibility.

Nope, not 15.... unless he is going to pay a hefty sum to Ruutu.

Alan

I'd guess 16, but you should wait.

I would 17, which says how old he was when he made it!.... :lol:

But that would make Roddy mad. So I would guess 16, which was Ladd's number.

In my opinion NHL experience is more valuble than any other kind, and if he is going to hold up (which they seem to think he can) there is no reason for him to not stay up. A few minutes a game on the NHL level is worth more than first line minutes at Red Deer IMO.

I don't doubt that Sutter can gain some strength and handle the physical aspect OK, I do question whether he'll handle

the mental aspect - at this point in time. And I seriously doubt he'll provide any offense - which will retard his growth.

It's unrealistic to expect Sutter to immediately become a miniature version of Jordan Staal. It won't happen this year,

and JR shouldn't "save him a spot", but that's something else altogether that I've had a problem with in the past. Part

of building a system of prospects involves patience. Historically, patience with prospects has been in short supply here.

Give him his 10 games, but be prepared to make an honest assessment and - if need be - send him back.

Yes, playing here would be completely different. :rolleyes: If you try to imagine different scenarios for the 'Canes, both

good and bad. One of them would have to include the 'Canes getting off to a poor start. You can see things deteriorating

rapidly if that would happen, and it's best not to have 19 year old 4th liners around.

IMO he is completely mentally ready for the NHL and different than the past prospects we have had, after all he has been raised in the royal family of hockey. He understands the game better than a lot of current NHL players and is always taking in all the information he can get. I have watched him play in Red Deer and there is no worse situation he could be in, even if the Canes have a bad year. As long as our expectations don't exceed him being a fourth liner and penalty killer (he was by far team Canada's best), he will do just fine.

If Sutter is as good and advanced in his "hockey sense" as reports indicate, then it would seem that it would be good to see if he is really "NHL ready". The fastest game is it's fastest in the NHL, and at some point a player must hone his skills at this level, even if it is on the 4th line.

I think it would be ideal to sit him down and tell him that the plan is to give him 10 games as the 4th line center, and then to send him down. It would be highly unlikely for him to stay up. Then if he impresses the daylights out of everyone, he stays up, if not, he goes back down for the remainder of the year.

Of course we would need a 4th line center for the rest of the year, having traded Aucoin. I'm not sure JR isn't still trying to find one.

The notion that Sutter is ready to move Cullen out of the 3rd line center spot is a bit premature. That would be a longshot, but Cullen, if he is 100% at season's start, will be one bell ring away from a prolonged absence, so a depth at center is a good idea. Not sure who else is in the system at center, but it seems that we are a couple of years away on that position (other than Sutter).

He needs to be here to get 4th line and PK minutes. He is gaining nothing from his time in Red Deer other than putting on some weight, so if the only concern is his mental readiness and not his ability to take hits in the NHL there is no reason for him to not be up. Another year of him gaining almost nothing in Red Deer would only lead to the same debate next year and at some point he will have to come up. The experience he would gain at the NHL level is obviously unmatched, and would be much more beneficial IMO

He needs to be here to get 4th line and PK minutes. He is gaining nothing from his time in Red Deer other than putting on some weight, so if the only concern is his mental readiness and not his ability to take hits in the NHL there is no reason for him to not be up. Another year of him gaining almost nothing in Red Deer would only lead to the same debate next year and at some point he will have to come up. The experience he would gain at the NHL level is obviously unmatched, and would be much more beneficial IMO

I totally agree and I am even sure that the Brindy's workout plan :) is more advanced than Red Deer's as well.

I am also convinced he won't play third line and JR won't acquire another center unless there is an injury. JR is already over the self imposed cap and unless there is a steal out there it likely won't happen. The job is Sutter's to lose, he has been told that and by all accounts so far has looked the part.

If Sutter is as good and advanced in his "hockey sense" as reports indicate, then it would seem that it would be good to see if he is really "NHL ready". The fastest game is it's fastest in the NHL, and at some point a player must hone his skills at this level, even if it is on the 4th line.

I think it would be ideal to sit him down and tell him that the plan is to give him 10 games as the 4th line center, and then to send him down. It would be highly unlikely for him to stay up. Then if he impresses the daylights out of everyone, he stays up, if not, he goes back down for the remainder of the year.

Of course we would need a 4th line center for the rest of the year, having traded Aucoin. I'm not sure JR isn't still trying to find one.

The notion that Sutter is ready to move Cullen out of the 3rd line center spot is a bit premature. That would be a longshot, but Cullen, if he is 100% at season's start, will be one bell ring away from a prolonged absence, so a depth at center is a good idea. Not sure who else is in the system at center, but it seems that we are a couple of years away on that position (other than Sutter).

After last season with the injuries and slumps. I think we should keep him up as long as possible. The more time he has at the NHL level the more of an asset he becomes. However if he is not getting enough time on the ice then he should be sent down. I'm excited and look forward to seeing him grow as a Hurricane.

Yes, playing here would be completely different. :rolleyes: If you try to imagine different scenarios for the 'Canes, both

good and bad. One of them would have to include the 'Canes getting off to a poor start. You can see things deteriorating

rapidly if that would happen, and it's best not to have 19 year old 4th liners around.

No our team is not awful like the Red Deer team is and as others have pointed out, it's his strength that he needs to improve, not his hockey sense. And I have no idea what we will do if he doesn't play on the team this year, we have no 4th line center, LaRose can't play center all the time. Well you can imagine a good scenario; We have a solid opening to our year, pick it up in the middle of the year and are fantastic down the stretch. We win our division, go the the playoffs and make it to at least the second round, then Sutter gets a whole lot of useful experience including playoff experience and he's even better next year.

No our team is not awful like the Red Deer team is and as others have pointed out, it's his strength that he needs to improve, not his hockey sense. And I have no idea what we will do if he doesn't play on the team this year, we have no 4th line center, LaRose can't play center all the time. Well you can imagine a good scenario; We have a solid opening to our year, pick it up in the middle of the year and are fantastic down the stretch. We win our division, go the the playoffs and make it to at least the second round, then Sutter gets a whole lot of useful experience including playoff experience and he's even better next year.

I agree with that. Although his production would inevitably tail off as the season goes along like most rookies do, the experienced gained would make it worth it with his improvement the following year.

There is very little downside if Sutter is in the NHL next season. He would be on the fourth-line, so there wouldn't be the "too much, too soon" risk like some of our past prospects have fallen victim to. There is also the potential that he could have a season similar to that of Jordan Staal a few years ago for the Penguins. If there was a thought that Sutter would start the season as the #2 center behind Staal, then I would question the decision. As a fourth-line center, he won't have alot of responsibility on his shoulders and he'll have plenty of time to sit and learn from players like Brind'Amour and Walker.

Not suggesting this actually happen, but does anyone know if the Canes can send Sutter to the Florida Everblades, the Canes ECHL affiliate?
If I am not mistaken I do not think he can play in the minors at all untill he finishes juniors. So I think he has to play for the Canes or be sent back to juniors. Not 100% sure thow. Can someone please correct me if I am wrong.

If I am not mistaken I do not think he can play in the minors at all untill he finishes juniors. So I think he has to play for the Canes or be sent back to juniors. Not 100% sure thow. Can someone please correct me if I am wrong.

I believe it's until he's 20, or he plays four years of junior. Then he can be a Rat.

The fact of the matter is, all the reports about Sutter have said he's ready for the NHL. Yeah, he doesn't have a scoring touch, but if he's going to be playing on the 4th line anyways, he's not going to be expected to score. Right now, the 4th line is essentially going to be used as a transitional line. Tire the opposing players out by being physical while our other 3 lines take a breather. If they add an occasional point, so be it, but it's not required.

And yeah, we'll likely have a slow start, for all the reasons mentioned. And that does worry me. But a slow start isn't a dagger through the heart. Take a look at the Rangers last year. They were the definition of slow start.

October: 4-6-1

November: 10-3-1

They essentially waste the entire month of October, and still make the playoffs. Heck, they wasted December (6-6-2). and January (4-7-2) as well. They ended strong though (Feburary 9-2-2. March 8-3-3) and ended up where we want to be: The playoffs.

Totally agree to davidrabbit. It would be a waste of talent to put Sutter into the 4th line. To advance, he' would need much more icetime, especially of a kind that doesn't just focus on punching the hell outa the opponent while the other guys are resting.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not gonna blame on him for any reason, but at the end he will HAVE to get a scoring touch anyways, that's what he wants to get paid for if he's goin to make it in the NHL. If not, he will become one of that cheap 4th line checkers sooner or later, and...nobody likes that^^

Especially here in carolina...there are a whole lot of talented young forwards...Staal, Ruutu, Eaves, Williams...even Samsonov isn't yet 30. Those guys wanna get paid. Those guys are the ones we hope for to bring us back to a playoff spot. If Sutter wants to get a part of it, he'll have to step up in laaarge skates, those of Roddy Brind'Amour. And...he won't make it in sitting on the bench and/or being on ice just on a checking-line.

I am not a big fan of early call ups. But every once and a while you have a player that thrives on the challenge. Rare as it may be it does happen.

The thing about Sutter is that he is not a pure goal scorer to begin with, he is a strong defensive, positional player. Being in Junior will not help him in that regards and he needs to be against top goaltenders in order to improve his scoring touch. There are way more players that light it up in Junior that usually come to the NHL to learn defense and don't become goal scorers in the NHL. Sutter is already blessed with the toughest skills to learn as a rookie and has been coached his whole life by his dad, it's not just his name. Worst case scenario if he doesn't step into the role completely, he gains a year of NHL experience and we send him to Albany next year. I can guarantee that Carolina will be a far better record than Red Deer will have in the WHL as we were only two points out of the playoffs and had more wins than some of the teams that were in, Red Deer will probably finish last. It's in our best interest for him not to have to play third line, but he is exactly what we need for the fourth line as Lavi likes to use the fourth line for energy, faceoffs and penalty killers.

The kid is mentally ready for the NHL. Keeping him in Red Deer is a waste for the kid. He has done everything he can there, he won't get any better playing in juniors. Bringing him in as the 4th line center and PK, will gain him more experience and help his development then being the one dominating on his pathetic red deer team. Its too easy for him in juniors, the kid needs another challenge. I'd rather him play with the big boys then get complacent in juniors.

The one concern the team has about him is his weight. The NHL has a much better conditioning regiman than does the juniors. People keep saying he isn't big enough to play here, well he won't get big enough, playing another year in juniors. If weight is the only issue, then being on a team that has a top notch conditioning program and having Brind'Amour mentor you, will be better than continuing to not gain weight in juniors.

I just think Sutter going back to Red Deer will be a waste. Just my 2 cents.