The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
paladin-1

Prospect/Rookie Camp 2008

:rolleyes: Wow thanks for finding and posting, that's only 2 1/2 weeks from now. Things are really starting to roll now. It will be fun to hear about the rookies. I'm sure there will be a Brindy camp in beween the Rookie Camp and Canes skates. It will be interesting to see who shows up for that. It seems that last year A. Ward, Battaglia and some others showed up for it. It's going to get fun!

Are these open to the public? I dont think I can make the normal camps in the middle of the day, but the rookie camps from 4-5 I could actually attend. (Plus the one on saturday is nice, the normal camps are all midweek). I'd love to watch the guys and maybe by chance meet a few of the guys. Has anyone been to a rookie camp before?

Thanks,

Eric

Are these open to the public? I dont think I can make the normal camps in the middle of the day, but the rookie camps from 4-5 I could actually attend. (Plus the one on saturday is nice, the normal camps are all midweek). I'd love to watch the guys and maybe by chance meet a few of the guys. Has anyone been to a rookie camp before?

Thanks,

Eric

Good question! I think they are because I remember a few people mentioning that they attended the rookie camp. I'm in the same position with the weekday camps because I live and work in Wilson, but def. want to make the Sat. one.

I went last year to a couple Rookie & "Brindy" and was able to watch inside and meet some of the guys & get autos on my jersey even got an Aaron Ward during Brindy Camp.

For more information about the RecZone guidelines

Please call (919) 754-0441 or email info@reczone.net.

Went to the prospect camp this afternoon. There were about 100 other people watching. Channel 14 and 17 were there. Our new coach of the dmen was on the ice (Wesley) along with the other assistant coaches and Ron Francis. Lavi was watching from the sidelines. Zac and Zach both looked good. Sutter looks like he is ready but still needs to put on 5-10 pounds. I was most impressed with Jamie McBain. He is going to tear up the Big10 this year. WHEN DOES THE SEASON START !!!!

Thanks for the info but i've said all along sutter is going to start the season on the big team.how did leighton look?

Thanks for the info but i've said all along sutter is going to start the season on the big team.how did leighton look?

Hard to tell how Leighton looked with the drills they were doing.....

souds like you had a fun time! I was planning on going, but wasn't able to make it. I also figured maybe less people would be there on Thursday, which is whay I'm probably going tomorrow!

Barasso was there as well... didn't notice Lavi though. Ill be sure to look out for him. One of the players caught a stick in the mouth... he looks like he will be okay though. Anyone else know more?

Murphy and Leighton both looked good, IMO. Leighton was sharp early on from what I saw, but towards the end he let a lot in. Not really an indication of anything because he could've been slacking off some and there were some 2-on-1 drills. Murphy was wild and had to make some diving saves, but from what I've heard that is his style.

One of the players caught a stick in the mouth... he looks like he will be okay though. Anyone else know more?

The stick in the mouth was to a "surprise" arrival at camp, according to Luke's blog:

One huge surprise on the ice: 2005 second-round draft pick Nate Hagemo, who hasn

Murphy and Leighton both looked good, IMO. Leighton was sharp early on from what I saw, but towards the end he let a lot in. Not really an indication of anything because he could've been slacking off some and there were some 2-on-1 drills. Murphy was wild and had to make some diving saves, but from what I've heard that is his style.

yeah he's got a pretty awesome style.. it's not as wild as Hasek, but somewhat like Tim Thomas, but he stops more pucks lol.

Are you sure it was channel 17? I was there and should be in the background of some of the red shirted person's shots. I just watched channel 14 and I wasn't in any of their shots. :P

Edit: got it...nbc 17.

I went yesterday and some of the guys looked really good.

Sutter was fast and scored some good goals. Boychuk wasn't overly impressive, Dalpe works hard and seems to be a little harder on himself than the others, I thought Marneau was sweet too.

Anyone else go and have some thoughts?

Haven't seen any clips so far, but Luke has a blog up. He like everyone else I've talked think Sutter was by far the best one out there. I'm hearing he is just full of confidence and no nerves. From people I've spoken too he isn't going to fill up out top like Staal has, so he's likely what you see is what you get as far as the top goes. However, he is very strong on the skates, so that should offset not being as big up top.

This just had me laugh:

And Zach Boychuk is small, but strong. He's got that little-ball-of-muscle thing going, sort of like the test-tube offspring of Ray Whitney and Rod Brind'Amour.

Here's the link to Luke's write up:

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/canes/dalpe-...but-not-certain

anyone know?

whoever it was ... he must have been doing too much partying the night before. Everytime after each drill he looked like he was about to puke!