The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
paladin-1

Prospect/Rookie Camp 2008

31 must have been Hagemo...looked quite rusty to me.

But you guys need to know that Sutter looked sweet. He was fast, smooth and strong with a good accurate shot. I was impressed at how fast he can cover the ice and move straight to the goal. Better than I thought he was.

I was also impressed with Chris Terry who was smooth and even-tempered with another accurate shot.

Boychuk didn't stand out to me as being a upper echelon top draftpick. Dalpe was eager and was talking with Francis a lot. But he also seemed to be the most hard on himself. I really liked Samuel Marneau (sp?). He was fast, care-free and had a good, accurate shot IMO.

If I remember correctly Drayson Bowman was not invited to camp... anyone know why not? He seems like our number 2 forward prospect behind Sutter.

usually they only come once...he came last year.

If I remember correctly Drayson Bowman was not invited to camp... anyone know why not? He seems like our number 2 forward prospect behind Sutter.

Heard that he was invited to some Team USA camp.

Sutter did look good. He snuck the most goals into the net and Leighton gave him praise after practice for it. Sutter did lose his balance towards the end of practice and twisted his knee to the point where he let out a moan. He was slow after that but it doesn't look like anything major. He'll probably be fine by tomorrow. Chris Terry was the second most impressive. He's big and from what I hear loves to throw his weight around.

Chris Terry was the second most impressive. He's big and from what I hear loves to throw his weight around.
Yeah, I was pretty impressed with Chris too. Didn't know much about him before seeing him yesterday, but wow! did he put up some pretty impressive numbers in the OHL last year (101 points in 68 games). He looked pretty good and had a couple sniper like top-shelf shots. Sweet!

Maybe I just missed it, but I couldn't find the schedule for saturday. I have to come to Raleigh to fly out on sunday anyways, so was hoping it would work to get in on the precious little hockey available...

Maybe I just missed it, but I couldn't find the schedule for saturday. I have to come to Raleigh to fly out on sunday anyways, so was hoping it would work to get in on the precious little hockey available...

On each of the 4 days (Wed through Sat), they are holding the prospect camp on-ice session from 4:45pm to 5:45pm at the Rec Zone in Raleigh

Yeah, I was pretty impressed with Chris too. Didn't know much about him before seeing him yesterday, but wow! did he put up some pretty impressive numbers in the OHL last year (101 points in 68 games). He looked pretty good and had a couple sniper like top-shelf shots. Sweet!

I know! Those numbers are amazing... if only he could do that in the NHL!

On each of the 4 days (Wed through Sat), they are holding the prospect camp on-ice session from 4:45pm to 5:45pm at the Rec Zone in Raleigh

Is anything going on before then? I was sure it (or something) started @ 3pm on Saturday at the Rec Zone because i was gonna go there before i went to the airport to pick up mrs ncc. now im all :angry:

Is anything going on before then? I was sure it (or something) started @ 3pm on Saturday at the Rec Zone because i was gonna go there before i went to the airport to pick up mrs ncc. now im all :angry:
I think the rookies are doing stuff all day, each day, (other work-outs, learning how to deal with the press, proper diet and food selection, etc.), but I "think" the only thing open to the public is the on-ice stuff from 4:45 to 5:45.

I was checking out Luke's blog and this is what he reported:

With all the fuss over recent draft picks Zach Boychuk and Zac Dalpe and soon-to-be Hurricanes fourth-line center Brandon Sutter, Jamie McBain has kind of slipped through the cracks this week.

The point I am making is it looks like Sutter will be playing this year.

I think the rookies are doing stuff all day, each day, (other work-outs, learning how to deal with the press, proper diet and food selection, etc.), but I "think" the only thing open to the public is the on-ice stuff from 4:45 to 5:45.

I hear they have a weight lift session with Brind'Amour, too bad they won't open that to the public. :lol:

I was checking out Luke's blog and this is what he reported:

The point I am making is it looks like Sutter will be playing this year.

Yeah, and JR has said a couple times that they are doing everything possible for him to be able to play.

Yeah, and JR has said a couple times that they are doing everything possible for him to be able to play.

Not to mention that JR has pretty much said the team is set, and other than Sutter there is no 4th line center around.

Hey guys,

I'm planning to attend the session on saturday.. has anybody who has gone to one of the events had a chance to meet any of the guys maybe get some autographs? I wont be too upset if it doesnt happen, I know they are here with a job to do trying to make the team, but it would be nice to grab a couple autos, particularly guys who appear destined for the big team next year like Sutter and Lieghton.

Well, we took the kids out to the skate today and what a blast. The guys seemed to be working hard, putting in the effort, but everybody had a smile on his face. First things first....Brandon Sutter is the real deal....you can see the poise and he oozes leadership qualities - by quiet example - always hustling, always working, always paying attention...and from what I saw today, he looked like he's improved his shooting a bit. Secondly, the two Zac(h)s are pretty clear 1st round picks (even though Dalpe went in the 2nd)....Boychuk didn't have his best day today w/his stick but he did have a couple of beauts against Murphy. However, Dalpe looked very, very, very good....much like Sutter this kid seemed to give off lots of confidence today and his hockey sense is awesome...good shot, good passer, very good puck handler (at least for the hour or so that we saw him).....Third, McBain and Bellimore we sort of "men amongst boys" out there....they looked like real D-men and just seemed to know what to do and when to do it....I will say, the drills really highlight the offense, but they did do these 2 on 1 breakaway things and those two guys looked stellar.

A couple of other standout things - Mike Murphy is a "feast or famine" monster....he made 4 or 5 incredible acrobatic saves....and yes he dives all over the place, but that mostly happened when he had to make a big initial save and then come back across for some incredible 2nd and 3rd chance save....he did that a number of times. He also made the prettiest save I have ever seen where he had dove across the crease on a second chance and was laying on his side, the puck squirted our about 15 feet in front and either Dalpe or Chaput rocketed a "top shelfer" which he nabbed with a scissor kick....and it was no accident, he saw it as he laid there and kicked his leg up to make the save...just sweet....Now for the down side....his jock strap is still laying on the ice from the 4 or 5 times that he got deked....he sometimes just commits too early...but the kid's got monster talent.

Mourneau (sp?) is a sweet finisher....his skating is just a shade "rusty" but he didn't miss any real chances that I saw. He could be a really, really sweet late round find. And while he was clearly out of shape, it was very easy to see flashes of why Nate Hagemo was a viable 2nd rounder.....give that kid some conditioning and he's got real potential...its just a matter of whether or not he'll put in the effort.

Finally, there was a mystery player out there wearing #51. That kid had moves and a shot that wouldn't quit. He was a pretty big kid (it wasn't Terry who was wearing # 58 I believe)....whoever that skater was, he's a keeper. He did seem a little older that some of the others (maybe 20 or 21), but he was somebody that impressed all around.

All in all it appears that we have some serious talent in the pipeline....keep it up Ronnie. Ya done good dude!!!

thanks for the update notopie, I was looking for a video feature on the site but looks like we won't get one this year :mellow: maybe they should just let you do it and through some video on top :)

Well, we took the kids out to the skate today and what a blast. The guys seemed to be working hard, putting in the effort, but everybody had a smile on his face. First things first....Brandon Sutter is the real deal....you can see the poise and he oozes leadership qualities - by quiet example - always hustling, always working, always paying attention...and from what I saw today, he looked like he's improved his shooting a bit. Secondly, the two Zac(h)s are pretty clear 1st round picks (even though Dalpe went in the 2nd)....Boychuk didn't have his best day today w/his stick but he did have a couple of beauts against Murphy. However, Dalpe looked very, very, very good....much like Sutter this kid seemed to give off lots of confidence today and his hockey sense is awesome...good shot, good passer, very good puck handler (at least for the hour or so that we saw him).....Third, McBain and Bellimore we sort of "men amongst boys" out there....they looked like real D-men and just seemed to know what to do and when to do it....I will say, the drills really highlight the offense, but they did do these 2 on 1 breakaway things and those two guys looked stellar.

A couple of other standout things - Mike Murphy is a "feast or famine" monster....he made 4 or 5 incredible acrobatic saves....and yes he dives all over the place, but that mostly happened when he had to make a big initial save and then come back across for some incredible 2nd and 3rd chance save....he did that a number of times. He also made the prettiest save I have ever seen where he had dove across the crease on a second chance and was laying on his side, the puck squirted our about 15 feet in front and either Dalpe or Chaput rocketed a "top shelfer" which he nabbed with a scissor kick....and it was no accident, he saw it as he laid there and kicked his leg up to make the save...just sweet....Now for the down side....his jock strap is still laying on the ice from the 4 or 5 times that he got deked....he sometimes just commits too early...but the kid's got monster talent.

Mourneau (sp?) is a sweet finisher....his skating is just a shade "rusty" but he didn't miss any real chances that I saw. He could be a really, really sweet late round find. And while he was clearly out of shape, it was very easy to see flashes of why Nate Hagemo was a viable 2nd rounder.....give that kid some conditioning and he's got real potential...its just a matter of whether or not he'll put in the effort.

Finally, there was a mystery player out there wearing #51. That kid had moves and a shot that wouldn't quit. He was a pretty big kid (it wasn't Terry who was wearing # 58 I believe)....whoever that skater was, he's a keeper. He did seem a little older that some of the others (maybe 20 or 21), but he was somebody that impressed all around.

All in all it appears that we have some serious talent in the pipeline....keep it up Ronnie. Ya done good dude!!!

thanks for the update notopie, I was looking for a video feature on the site but looks like we won't get one this year :mellow: maybe they should just let you do it and through some video on top :)

I vote for NotOpie to become our official blogger on our board. Nice recap.