The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
paladin-1

Prospect/Rookie Camp 2008

Yeah, very good detail. I could visually see Murphy getting deked out and having a jock strap somewhere on the ice.... hmm.. maybe thats a bad thing if I visual that. :blink:

Well, we took the kids out to the skate today and what a blast. The guys seemed to be working hard, putting in the effort, but everybody had a smile on his face. First things first....Brandon Sutter is the real deal....you can see the poise and he oozes leadership qualities - by quiet example - always hustling, always working, always paying attention...and from what I saw today, he looked like he's improved his shooting a bit. Secondly, the two Zac(h)s are pretty clear 1st round picks (even though Dalpe went in the 2nd)....Boychuk didn't have his best day today w/his stick but he did have a couple of beauts against Murphy. However, Dalpe looked very, very, very good....much like Sutter this kid seemed to give off lots of confidence today and his hockey sense is awesome...good shot, good passer, very good puck handler (at least for the hour or so that we saw him).....Third, McBain and Bellimore we sort of "men amongst boys" out there....they looked like real D-men and just seemed to know what to do and when to do it....I will say, the drills really highlight the offense, but they did do these 2 on 1 breakaway things and those two guys looked stellar.

A couple of other standout things - Mike Murphy is a "feast or famine" monster....he made 4 or 5 incredible acrobatic saves....and yes he dives all over the place, but that mostly happened when he had to make a big initial save and then come back across for some incredible 2nd and 3rd chance save....he did that a number of times. He also made the prettiest save I have ever seen where he had dove across the crease on a second chance and was laying on his side, the puck squirted our about 15 feet in front and either Dalpe or Chaput rocketed a "top shelfer" which he nabbed with a scissor kick....and it was no accident, he saw it as he laid there and kicked his leg up to make the save...just sweet....Now for the down side....his jock strap is still laying on the ice from the 4 or 5 times that he got deked....he sometimes just commits too early...but the kid's got monster talent.

Mourneau (sp?) is a sweet finisher....his skating is just a shade "rusty" but he didn't miss any real chances that I saw. He could be a really, really sweet late round find. And while he was clearly out of shape, it was very easy to see flashes of why Nate Hagemo was a viable 2nd rounder.....give that kid some conditioning and he's got real potential...its just a matter of whether or not he'll put in the effort.

Finally, there was a mystery player out there wearing #51. That kid had moves and a shot that wouldn't quit. He was a pretty big kid (it wasn't Terry who was wearing # 58 I believe)....whoever that skater was, he's a keeper. He did seem a little older that some of the others (maybe 20 or 21), but he was somebody that impressed all around.

All in all it appears that we have some serious talent in the pipeline....keep it up Ronnie. Ya done good dude!!!

i knew this kid had talent while watching him in the Memorial Cup :D

Canes give Hagemo second chance

312-reg-1978319-1276089.embedded.prod_affiliate.3.jpg Hagemo has had some run-ins with the law. more_photos.gif Luke DeCock, Staff WriterComment on this story RALEIGH - Nate Hagemo didn't know how badly he needed the game of hockey until he tried to go without it.

This week, hockey is trying to give something back to Hagemo.

The one-time Carolina Hurricanes prospect has had a long string of run-ins with the law since a shoulder injury derailed his hockey career almost three years ago, including an arrest less than two weeks ago while on probation.

This week, he's participating in the Hurricanes' prospect conditioning camp, his first taste of competitive hockey since October 2005 and the first scene in what he hopes will be the second act of his life.

"I got off track when I got hurt," Hagemo said Thursday after an on-ice session at the RecZone. "It was a big shock to me. For a while there, it was looking like I wasn't going to be able to play again. What happened with the shoulder, it wasn't so much what was physically wrong.

"There were a bunch of things I had to change in my life even to have the chance the Hurricanes are giving me now. For them to be giving me this opportunity, I couldn't be more grateful. It's really generous of them. It's great that people would give me a second chance."

Hagemo, 21, once ranked among the Hurricanes' most promising defensive prospects, a second-round draft pick after his freshman year at Minnesota, before a shoulder injury derailed his career and his life.

His shoulder is better. His life still needs some healing. The Hurricanes, who retain his NHL rights until June 2009, agreed at the request of Hagemo's agent, Neil Sheehy, to invite Hagemo to this four-day camp in an attempt to help.

"We got a call from the agent just recently," Hurricanes general manager Jim Rutherford said. "He's had some issues to deal with. ... We just felt we'd give him an opportunity if we can, help him out -- even just going forward with his life in the right direction, that would be good. Give him that last opportunity that he's missed over the last two years."

When the Canes took him 58th overall in 2005, Hagemo already was battling the injury that would help send his life spiraling out of control.

On Oct. 29, 2004, Hagemo was hit in the left shoulder during a game, damaging his brachial plexus -- the bundle of nerves that runs from the neck down to the hand -- and costing him strength and feeling in his arm. He aggravated the injury later that season. The next fall, the pain was so bad Hagemo redshirted after only three games. A year later, after seeing little improvement and unable to play, he left the team.

He was, he says now, completely unprepared for life without the structure hockey had given him.

"It just needed time off," Hagemo said. "That's what all the doctors were saying. I didn't really know what time off meant at that time in my life. I wasn't willing to give that up. All I wanted to do was play hockey. The best thing to say is I felt really lost. ...

"For a time there, I felt like I just gave this up in one hit and all this is over. I had a lot of 'poor me.' I'm over that now."

His legal troubles, though, are not over. In May, according to Hennepin (Minn.) County court records, Hagemo was sentenced to three years of probation after pleading guilty to a gross misdemeanor and four other misdemeanors in two separate traffic incidents. He also still could face felony drug charges after he was arrested in January with what police believed to be heroin in his car.

And on June 29, he was arrested again on suspicion of harassment and violating a restraining order. The Hurricanes were made aware of the latest arrest and were satisfied with Hagemo's explanation, Rutherford said.

"As far all that stuff, it's all in the process of being taken care of," Hagemo said. "All I can do right now is do the right thing and every day try to keep changing for the better and not go back to how things were."

His descent echoes Josh Hamilton's fall from grace, how a series of injuries helped turn the top prospect in baseball into a drug and alcohol abuser before he turned his life around.

Just last week, a friend gave Hagemo a copy of a magazine story about the Raleigh native. Now he's in Hamilton's hometown, trying to begin the same kind of process. Resuming his hockey career is a goal, but not the only one.

"What's more important is that somebody is a good person and lives a good life," Hagemo's father, Lloyd, said in a telephone interview Thursday. "That's what he's striving to achieve. Sports is a part of that. It's not who he is."

In the mug shot taken after his January arrest, when police found what they believe to be heroin in his car, Nate Hagemo's face is criss-crossed with scratches and cuts.

The picture is frightening. It says, very clearly, that Hagemo has been places you don't want to go.

Now, less than six months later, he's so close to where he desperately wants to be.

"I was talking to my mom last night and she said, 'Looking at you last year, I can't believe you've come this far,' and saying how proud she was I was here," Hagemo said, his voice breaking. "Like I said, I'm really grateful the Hurricanes are giving me this chance. I'm trying to do the best I can with it."

luke.decock@newsobserver.com

Is this the mystery man that nobody could identify?????

Well I think it is now an official forgone conclusion that Sutter is the 4th line center.

With opening night three months away, the 19-year-old is penciled in as the Canes' fourth-line center. Actually, it might even be ink.

"We feel he's ready to move in there," Hurricanes general manager Jim Rutherford said. "Unless something unforeseen comes along that we don't expect, he will be with the team."

Full article here: http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/story/1139196.html

Yeah, it's very hard for someone to argue now that Sutter will not be playing.

as i like to say it is his job to lose.

Thanks for the kind words everybody...it was just a load of fun watching the kids....and that's the key thing. They are all so very young. It is incredible the talent and the drive that they all must have.

Nate Hagemo was wearing #31, so he wasn't the mystery man. I think it might be a kid named Ryan Weston who I know absolutely nothing about. The last picture in the N&O photo gallery shows some kid with his name teasingly interviewing Brandon Sutter and he looks like the kid who was wearing #51, but I've never heard of him.

Anybody else know anything?

Anyone know whether they will be working out today/Saturday at the RecZone from 4:45-5:45? Or some other time or place?

Thanks in advance.

Anyone know whether they will be working out today/Saturday at the RecZone from 4:45-5:45? Or some other time or place?

Thanks in advance.

That's what the schedule shows.

Thanks for the kind words everybody...it was just a load of fun watching the kids....and that's the key thing. They are all so very young. It is incredible the talent and the drive that they all must have.

Nate Hagemo was wearing #31, so he wasn't the mystery man. I think it might be a kid named Ryan Weston who I know absolutely nothing about. The last picture in the N&O photo gallery shows some kid with his name teasingly interviewing Brandon Sutter and he looks like the kid who was wearing #51, but I've never heard of him.

Yeah I saw that pic, that guy has some muscle, especially compared to Sutter next to him.

Yeah I saw that pic, that guy has some muscle, especially compared to Sutter next to him.
Yeah, he had some muscles...I thought it was the new beefed up Chad LaRose for a minute...! :)

This is in response to NotOpie re Dalpe.

I have some friends who live in Penticton, BC and have watched Dalpe play out there. They say Dalpe is terrific and a great selection for our team. Looks like your observations about him are "spot on."

This is in response to NotOpie re Dalpe.

I have some friends who live in Penticton, BC and have watched Dalpe play out there. They say Dalpe is terrific and a great selection for our team. Looks like your observations about him are "spot on."

Yeah, well, I didn't know what to expect...so color me just a little surprised, him being an 18 year old and all...just seemed very mature as a player....very Sutter-esque, if I can use that phrase....anyway, it says a lot about our last 2 or 3 years of drafting I think -- Boychuk, Sutter, Dalpe, Mourneau, Murphy, Bowman, Terry, and the rest of the guys that i'm sure I missed...

After going to the practice today the only words I have are: MUST HAVE HOCKEY!!!!!

I was really glad it worked out for me to go... Lots of other Caniacs to support the boys. :) I was impressed with all of their energy and desire to work their tails off. Ronnie was totally enjoying himself out there too... If I had to pick a favorite it'd probably be Dalpe. Good plays and was one of the last off the ice. Also topped off his performance with a nod and little wave to the few of us left still watching... PLEASE LET IT BE OCTOBER!

October is NEVER going to get here! But anyway, watching the rookie camp has got me excited about the future of the team. As has been said before, some of these guys look really promising and I am glad we got them. I finally saw a clip on the news today about the camp but none of the fans were in it! Oh well, I suppose I'll just have to try to get on tv again during the coming season.

I was at the practice Saturday, and here's what I saw:

I was behind the net the defense worked at most of the day; Hagema (sp?) impressed me a little. The guy I was standing next to and I talked, and we both saw the same things: good speed, good footwork, fairly good with the puck, but he's not in good shape compared to the rest of the group. In fact, he was over at the far boards tossing his cookies after about 45 minutes. Francis gave him a swat on the butt as he skated by. He participated afterward, though, and had a big smile on his face at the goalie shoot/scramble at the end.

Chris Terry is very good around the net and has a very quick stick. He was very serious, even in the scramble. Never took his eyes off the puck, stick always on the ice, and had several blurry-fast putaways.

Dalpe impressed me. Looks bigger than 6-0/170. Nailed about 8 one-timers in a row from a tough angle on cross-ice passes just before they broke up....not bad, given he probably was tired.

McBain has a pretty good scoring touch too. He beat Leighton several times on wristers in the scramble game. He looked the closest to me of being able to help this team any time soon.

Boychuk was working on the other end, then came down for one shot in the shoot/scramble. He beat Leighton gloveside high on his one shot.

Sutter impressed me with skating, puck handling, and attitude. He made several nice shots in the scramble.

There is some talent there.

Once McBain gets out of college, he will be a great player for us. JR is patiently waiting for him, but I on the other hand cannot wait to see him with the Rats and up here with us.

I attended on Saturday and I agree with everything Fantum stated. It's not just a coincidence, I was the guy he was talking to.

On a serious note, I was very impressed with the work ethic on the ice and the skill level those young guys displayed!

Thanks again for the updates from everyone that was there. You're all officially hired to blog practices and camp recaps. ;)

I attended on Saturday and I agree with everything Fantum stated. It's not just a coincidence, I was the guy he was talking to.

On a serious note, I was very impressed with the work ethic on the ice and the skill level those young guys displayed!

I found this

Ryan Weston[/post]

and it looks like he played a handful of games with Albany last year

Rats 07-08