The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
paladin-1

Prospect/Rookie Camp 2008

From Luke's Blog:

For a few fleeting moments, goaltender Mike Murphy could pretend he was Martin Brodeur or Dominik Hasek rather than one of the Hurricanes' prospects.

During a two-on-one hot-shot drill today at the RecZone, the Canes' Ron Francis jumped into the mix, firing shots at Murphy. It was Francis, a Hall of Famer and assistant general manager, against the 19-year-old Murphy, the Canes' sixth-round draft pick this year.

"It was a phenomenal experience and a surreal feeling," Murphy said with a big smile. "He's still got it. It's just an unbelievable feeling to be in a camp that you dreamed of making your whole life."

francis711.jpg

TSA, that must have been awesome for Mike Murphy. On Saturday, Francis was working with two forwards on a drill (from my viewing angle, I couldn

I remember last yr seeing Ronnie do something like that during the camps. He looked like he could do the drill in his sleep! Its a shame he hung the skates up because the skill it still there. I just wish i could have made it to this years camp. Oh well...theres always Brindy camp and pre-season coming up! ;)

I happened to be at the Saturday Rookie Camp with my family and shooting some picts. Here is a shot of the drill along with some others from the camp. Enjoy and GO CANES!!!

IMG1.jpg

IMG3.jpg

IMG2.jpg

IMG4.jpg

IMG5.jpg

IMG6.jpg

IMG7.jpg

IMG8.jpg

Finally, there was a mystery player out there wearing #51. That kid had moves and a shot that wouldn't quit. He was a pretty big kid (it wasn't Terry who was wearing # 58 I believe)....whoever that skater was, he's a keeper. He did seem a little older that some of the others (maybe 20 or 21), but he was somebody that impressed all around.

Wild guess, Nick Dodge. He would be 21 now and would be seasoned a bit more from 4 years of collegiate play.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/nick_dodge' target="_blank">pic here[/post]

If you have a chance NotOpie, take a look and see if this was the guy. I know he attended last years camp.

Wild guess, Nick Dodge. He would be 21 now and would be seasoned a bit more from 4 years of collegiate play.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/nick_dodge' target="_blank">pic here[/post]

If you have a chance NotOpie, take a look and see if this was the guy. I know he attended last years camp.

No, #51 was Ryan Weston. Luke mentions that he was there in one of his blog entries.

No, #51 was Ryan Weston. Luke mentions that he was there in one of his blog entries.

Cool. Thanks for the info.

A couple of other standout things - Mike Murphy is a "feast or famine" monster....he made 4 or 5 incredible acrobatic saves....and yes he dives all over the place, but that mostly happened when he had to make a big initial save and then come back across for some incredible 2nd and 3rd chance save....he did that a number of times. He also made the prettiest save I have ever seen where he had dove across the crease on a second chance and was laying on his side, the puck squirted our about 15 feet in front and either Dalpe or Chaput rocketed a "top shelfer" which he nabbed with a scissor kick....and it was no accident, he saw it as he laid there and kicked his leg up to make the save...just sweet....Now for the down side....his jock strap is still laying on the ice from the 4 or 5 times that he got deked....he sometimes just commits too early...but the kid's got monster talent.

Thank you so much for posting your observations about Mike Murphy. As a Belleville Bulls fan clan, our family has been thrilled to watch Mike Murphy kick his leg up and make these unreal saves. I've said so many times, there goes the helicopter legs again! He had a real focus & ferocity in net this year. You could really tell when he was headed deep into the concentration. Not much rattles him and he really has the crowd behind him too! My daughter met him at a Bulls Kids fan club on his birthday - he was first star of the game that night too. Here's some photos from that game. You can see him guarding his net side (with Matthias charging around nearby too) and then look at his eye intensity. (Hope the link works)

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/564212219ulgJtu' target="_blank">2288543910102565281JuwakG_th.jpg[/post]

Really looking forward to seeing him continue after his Prospect Camp when he heads back to Belleville. Some people are doubting Thomases about him in the scouts but we truly salute the Carolina organization for astutely betting on this talented young man. It will pay off in spades and the crowd will love him!

I happened to be at the Saturday Rookie Camp with my family and shooting some picts. Here is a shot of the drill along with some others from the camp. Enjoy and GO CANES!!!

[

Love the photo of Murphy -- seems to be really listening intently. I'm sure he soaked it up like SpongeBob! Thanks for posting.

Ramper