The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TarheelMike

08-09 Schedule Released!!

Maybe I missed it, but when are they going to announce/release the games in the mini-plans?

My guess is that mini-plans should be announced very shortly, for the last two years the 24-packs (now 26-packs) have been announced prior to Select-a-Seat, which starts on 7/21 for full season STHs and on 7/22 for 26-pack STHs.

IIRC, the 12-game plans are announced at the same time as the 26-game plans.

Yeah, one of the mini plans would be like Sat, Sat, Sun, Fri, Fri, Sat, Sat, Thurs, Sun with an odd Wendsday thrown in just to make it 10...

I will be very interested in Wesley retirement night, since I was there for Francis. I'm also waiting for the College night games so I know which games I can actually afford to go to.

I think the thing with the goal zones is I think all the goal zone seats are spoken for, and so they limit it to previous STH's to give them first dibs. Thats what I heard anyway. The same time they started the goal zone season tickets (which they used to not have) they dropped the 12$ tickets.... they have some now for 9.99 the fan that are 9$ but they are impossible to get..

Sweet. Guess I will be doing a mini-plan this year, along with opening night/Red Wings game/Wesley's retirement.

I went to so many games last season where we lost, I hope we win them all this season! On a different note, we all need to get together for these games! I will attend EVERY weekend game (and unfortunately that is all I can attend). We need to tailgate people.

I went to so many games last season where we lost, I hope we win them all this season! On a different note, we all need to get together for these games! I will attend EVERY weekend game (and unfortunately that is all I can attend). We need to tailgate people.

Wheres 300 section.. she headed up the board gathering party last year. Which I might add I happened to miss even though I was there! :o

Wheres 300 section.. she headed up the board gathering party last year. Which I might add I happened to miss even though I was there! :o

She has no internet :) She is on ever so often at her sisters.

I'm sorely tempted to send an email to Promotions and Development Canes representative, because I really don't see a good outcome for Fan Appreciation Night if they keep with the tradition and have it on the last home game of the season. It's on a weekend, which will cause a decrease in attendance, and the opponents that night will have many second guess coming as well.

It's probably in the Canes best interest to have it on the Saturday before, against Pittsburgh. Then, you've got a weekend game, plus an increase in attendance due to Crosby mania.

I like the way the schedule looks also. Me and my wife want to take a trip down there for a game so bad. And one of the teams she wanted to see is the Canes play in person is Colorado. So we are thinking of coming down when the Canes and Avs play. We may also go to the two games the Canes play in New Jersey since they are one of the closet teams to us.

Planning on making it to the season closer in Jersey with two of my fellow season ticket holders. We should try and get together and maybe grab a beer before the game, since they don't allow tailgating at the Prudential Center.

We are also contemplating the March 28th game (It's my birthday, and what better way to spend your birthday than watching the Canes??)

Well, most sports teams have their Fan Appreciation Night for the last home game of the regular season, so it's certainly not uncommon. Plus, it's against Buffalo this season... what more could you ask for? I definitely have to make the (by that time) 10-minute drive to the Castle for that one.

A few people have posted some very good analysis of our schedule so far, but how do we compare with the other teams in the league as far as games played? As we all remember, last season we were constantly leading in the games played column. Will we have games in hand this year (particularly against the SE)?

-One of the few Caniacs displaced to Louisiana. Don't get me wrong, Louisiana is great, but don't try and have a hockey conversation here.

I'm sorely tempted to send an email to Promotions and Development Canes representative, because I really don't see a good outcome for Fan Appreciation Night if they keep with the tradition and have it on the last home game of the season. It's on a weekend, which will cause a decrease in attendance, and the opponents that night will have many second guess coming as well.

It's probably in the Canes best interest to have it on the Saturday before, against Pittsburgh. Then, you've got a weekend game, plus an increase in attendance due to Crosby mania.

The fan appreciation game is usually a sell out, weekend or not, the pitt game will be a sell out regardless because of crosby, I think this actually benefits them attendance wise

Well, as far as the end of the season, this is how it looks for the SouthEast Div:

Atlanta plays 6 games in April, with finishing out the season with a 3 game home stand against Washington, Florida and Tampa.

Carolina plays 5 games in April, four are @ home against Rangers, Penguins, Islanders and Buffalo.

Florida plays 5 games in April, two on the road.

Tampa plays 5 games in April, three on the road.

Washington plays 6 games in April, with finishing out the season with a 3 game road trip against Atlanta, Tampa, and Florida.

Looks like if the season is decided on the last game of the season, there will be no waiting, as ALL SouthEast teams' last games are on APRIL 11th. We are the only team NOT playing a Divisional Foe on the last game.

Atlanta finishes the season at home against Tampa.

Carolina finishes the season on the road against New Jersey.

Florida finishes the season at home against Washington.

Tampa finishes the season on the road against Atlanta.

Washington finishes the season on the road against Florida.

I talked to my fiance and she said she loves the Sunday games that are earlier in the evening (like 5) since you get home at a decent time, so we may be looking at attending all 5 of the Sunday games in November.. I dont know if we'll be able to make all of them, but I hope so.. that would be cool. I'd like to make the Toronto game, and then the next 3 are SE div opponents.

I personally dont mind the tuesday and thursday games, since I live in town (i know they are hard for out of towners), they are easy to get into... of course sometimes when you play a sorta oddball opponent like the Coyotes or Stars then the place will be half empty...

This new schedule's also going to increase our travel time. Last year, we traveled 44621 kms. This year, we travel 61148. An additional 16,500 km. Other than San Jose, no other team has that much difference in travel between last year's schedule and this one's.

We're about middle of the pack as far as back-to-backs. Columbus has it worst at 20 back-to-back sets, and Colorado has it the easiest at 8. We have 14 sets.

However, as far as playing 3 games in 4 nights, Carolina's got 21 sets, more than anyone else in the league. Colorado and Toronto have the least at 10.

Our divisional rival stats:

Washington:

5,839 additional kms traveled.

13 back-to-back sets.

12 "3 in 4"s

Florida:

11,857 additional kms traveled.

12 back-to-back sets.

14 "3 in 4"s

Tampa Bay:

5,854 additional kms traveled.

16 back-to-back sets.

13 "3 in 4"s

Atlanta:

8,295 additional kms traveled.

15 back-to-back sets.

11 "3 in 4"s

Phil Esposito had a great take on fans or players that complain about the extra travel miles.

He said that with the luxury jets, private terminals and all the comforts of home on board, an extra hour or two of flight isnt any big deal at all. He did say that rarely do players complain about travel time, the biggest complaint is only nights away from home.

Of course, there's the all important jet lag to consider as well. The fans paid good money to see a good hockey game, but if one team isn't 100% because they spent all last night in a jet, then it's not going to be much of a hockey game, is it?

Absolutely digging the weekend games, as just about everyone else is. Can't wait till the 'Canes come to "The Garage" in Vancouver, hopefully I'll be able to get some tickets for that game.

If you make it to RDU, ya might as well walk from there. Its right up the road a few miles! :lol: j/k

You have a point, but considering I would be taking my life in my hands with the roads around there I'd feel safer in a car. Not like the never ending bike/pedestrian paths they have here in Germany to help get you around.

This new schedule's also going to increase our travel time. Last year, we traveled 44621 kms. This year, we travel 61148. An additional 16,500 km. Other than San Jose, no other team has that much difference in travel between last year's schedule and this one's.

We're about middle of the pack as far as back-to-backs. Columbus has it worst at 20 back-to-back sets, and Colorado has it the easiest at 8. We have 14 sets.

However, as far as playing 3 games in 4 nights, Carolina's got 21 sets, more than anyone else in the league. Colorado and Toronto have the least at 10.

Our divisional rival stats:

Washington:

5,839 additional kms traveled.

13 back-to-back sets.

12 "3 in 4"s

Florida:

11,857 additional kms traveled.

12 back-to-back sets.

14 "3 in 4"s

Tampa Bay:

5,854 additional kms traveled.

16 back-to-back sets.

13 "3 in 4"s

Atlanta:

8,295 additional kms traveled.

15 back-to-back sets.

11 "3 in 4"s

Wow, the league can't even give out equal schedules. What BS.

Phil Esposito had a great take on fans or players that complain about the extra travel miles.

He said that with the luxury jets, private terminals and all the comforts of home on board, an extra hour or two of flight isnt any big deal at all. He did say that rarely do players complain about travel time, the biggest complaint is only nights away from home.

extra travel miles = more nights away from home... or at least it should. Someone should do that stats. Last year, the Sharks or the Ducks did a 15 day road trip to play the Eastern Conference teams and some teams in the Midwest.

extra travel miles = more nights away from home... or at least it should.

Not necessarily, and extra hour or two flight isnt likely to make them stay an extra night, they'll just get home a little later.

Of course, there's the all important jet lag to consider as well. The fans paid good money to see a good hockey game, but if one team isn't 100% because they spent all last night in a jet, then it's not going to be much of a hockey game, is it?

You would have a point if we were flying from SJ on Tuesday night and had to play Wednesday night, but we aren't.

Oct 10-11 we got from Raleigh to Tampa

Nov 6-7 we go from Washington to Raleigh

Nov 23-24 we go from Raleigh to Florida

Dec 26-27 we go from Atlanta to Raleigh

Jan 2-3 we go from Raleigh to Tampa

Jan 19-20 we go from Toronto to Pittsburgh

Feb 19-20 we go from NY to Raleigh

Mar 6-7 we go from Raleigh to Tampa

Mar 11-12 we go from Chicago to Dallas

Don't see much jet lag in those.