The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TheWizard

NHL Expansion/relocation

With the talk of the Predators moving, i've heard a lot of talk about other relocations or even possible expansion. I know Canadian fans hate hockey in the Deep South but for the most part it works.

I wouldnt have a problem if Florida relocated. Lets face it, Miami is not a hockey town. Heck it isnt even a sports town period. Obviously Nashville was a bad choice. So where do they go?

Dare they try Winnipeg again? Gary Bettman said Ontario is out of the question.

Another question is would the NHL expand and if so, where?

Las Vegas and Kansas City

I think vegas would work. I'm not sure about KC, they lose franchises like LA loses footbal teams. So do you think they would be expansion teams or relocations?

Seattle would work, especially if the Sonics leave. I'm going to keep praying that the Canes move to Charlotte. The drive to Raleigh isnt bad, but 30 minutes beats 2 hours any day of the week.

Anybody think Milwaukee would work?

Any other Canadian cities worth trying?

They will NOT MOVE TO CHARLOTTE. Kinda pointless, since its Race City.. and I don't wanna share my hockey team with rednecks.. sorry!

Milwaukee.. sounds good. Salt Lake City too.

Maybe anywhere in Quebec, Regina, Saskatewan? and of course Winnipeg.

Yeah.. but is it within the 90 miles radius of the Vancouver Canucks?

If its not, then yeah. Seattle could totally have a team.

I live in Charlotte, TheWizard. And yeah.. I hate the Bobcats and don't like football or racing.

They will NOT MOVE TO CHARLOTTE. Kinda pointless, since its Race City.. and I don't wanna share my hockey team with rednecks.. sorry!

I agree. Plus Charlotte is having trouble supporting their new basketball team. Also the Florida Marlins wanted to move there but Charlotte told them they could not support another major team. Don't see it ever happening.

Charlotte not supporting the Bobcats is a whole other ball of wax. Has nothing to do with not being able to support a team.

I know they will never get a hockey team, but let me dream.

Yeah.. but is it within the 90 miles radius of the Vancouver Canucks?

If its not, then yeah. Seattle could totally have a team.

"The trip spans approximately 150 miles and will take 2.5 - 3 hours depending on border delays. "

I think vegas would work. I'm not sure about KC, they lose franchises like LA loses footbal teams.

Nix Vegas. That town barely supports the 51s, the Dodgers' triple-A affiliate; attendance figures average barely 5,000 ... not bad for a team of kiddos in the low minors, but sad for one only a level below the bigs.

And Los Angeles (the county I live in, FYI) lost the Rams not because of lack of interest, but largely because of a blowsy, bleached-blonde windbag named Georgia Frontiere. The less said about that b**** (pardon my language, friends), the better. :angry: :angry:

My two cents, from hazy Southern California ...

Jan/GSBG

wow, i have never thought of Salt Lake City as a hockey town, but i think maybe it could catch on because they have cold weather there right, i mean you have to to host a winter olympics, so maybe

i can deal with NHL going to KC bc one of my good friends is from there and hes cool, but Vegas....... no thank you there would be less fan support there than in Nashville

... Vegas....... no thank you there would be less fan support there than in Nashville

Folks visit Sin City for one of two reasons: gambling and sampling the local practitioners of the world's oldest profession. (PM me if you're unclear on that concept. :P )

Jan/GSBG

The NHL could just scrap the Preds rename them the Expos and have them play in Nashville, Hartford, Hamilton, and Puerto Rico.

hahaha That's a good one

Kansas City will probably get the next team to move/come along, then Vegas. Who knows after that

Hello? Already built and EMPTY 20,000 seat Sprint Arena in KC... Bettman had slotted the Penguins for that arena when Mess and company got the funding for a new arena in Pittsburgh literally at the zero hour. Can you imagine being the investors that built that hockey arena and then had the team snatched from them ? That sucker is not going to stay unclaimed indefinitely. They are also hoping for an NBA franchise to share with the hockey team.

I will be working in downtown KC and plan to make regular trips to the corporate offices asking, "Got hockey?" until they drive me away at the entrance doors! Then I'll sit out front like a homeless person with a sign....

sigh. As long as there are direct flights between MCI (KC airport, 20min drive from home) and wherever the Canes are playing on the road, I'll be happy! Fun to think of going to away games and being a Canes fan and screaming my head off.

MOAB