The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Terva

Wallin going home to Sweden?

Welcome from Sweden :) .

Havent heard or read anything about that, maybe someone else knows something I dont. Wallin did refuse to waive his no trade last season because the only reason he signed the long deal here was for stability for is family and of course, the money. His kids go to school with my kids and I know they stayed here after the season ended for a while before leaving for Sweden.

Do you have a link to the article or maybe you could copy and paste it?

http://www.pitea-tidningen.se/nyheter/senaste_nytt/artikel.aspx?ArticleId=3864075' target="_blank">http://www.pitea-tidningen.se/nyheter/sena...ticleId=3864075[/post]

We

Very interesting. I continue to maintain that in order to consider our defense overhauled either Kabs or Wallin or both must go. I had thought it would be Kaberle in a salary dump trade. Hmmm could be both.

Anyone know what the rules are about this? Are there any or is the organization allowed to let him opt out of his contract if its mutually agreeable?

Below is a translated version. If you want to call it that. The computer does a literal translation but I think we can all get the general idea of the article.

It has long been silent about the combination klassv

And the plot thickens.

It would make it easier on the Canes to release Wallin. But then would you rather shed $2.2M in salary instead of $1.75M. And who fills a bigger role on the team right now, Kaberle or Wallin?

wow, thanks for the update Terva.

well obviously it wouldn't be surprising if Wallin wanted to go back to Sweden, or if the canes wanted to cut him loose.

Best solution I see for the canes to get rid of his Cap space with no trouble is for him to retire from the NHL I guess, then the salary gets wiped out, and he can go home and play in Sweden. Outside of that i don't know how it could work without us still losing some cap space to be honest.

What about the possibility of any transfer agreement like the Russian League? Dumping salary is one thing but it was pointed out that JR would get nothing for Wallin. Is losing his salary good enough?

Must be Eklund's brother helping him stir the rumor pot.

Speaking of Eklund, Ive now seen this rumor suddenly appear on two other Canes boards, lol. If Eklund has it as a (e5) by tomorrow morning, we can all say that our newest member Terva started his own rumor in the US. :lol:

This board must be a popular read tonight. ;)

My $0.02 worth on this dump Wallin/Kaberle thing that's been going on all summer. And these are just my thoughts, coupled with some very unofficial info (like I know this guy who's brother cuts player xx's lawn and he said... ). Anyhooo, my wife works with a guy who's Swedish wife is friends with Wallin's wife. She reportedly had a great career going in Sweden while Nick was playing here, made big bucks, and and wanted to stay there with the kids. But the Canes prevailed and convinced him to come back (my guess) with the offer of a no-trade clause. So the Canes mgt were on their knees begging. That was when JR was handing out juicy contracts to everyone who had just won the Cup to keep the team intact and reward them. Fine. So Nick comes back and doesn't do as well. Now they want to can him? Hey, we begged him to come back and he agreed. Same with Kabs. Remember, this is the guy who scored the game winning goal in game 7 of the SCF. And when he gets injured and doesn't do as well everybody's ready to toss him under the bus. Come on folks, is there no loyalty? How fast people forget the euphoria of the night of June 19, 2006.

Talk about overhauling the defense; heck, Nick and Kabs are the ONLY remaining dmen from the SC finals. If they leave, it isn't an overhaul, it's a replacement. There are currently 22 players listed on the Canes roster. Last time I checked, a team can have 23. So what's the big push to dump Nick and Kabs? They're the ONLY continuity we have on defense. Think the offense can adjust to ALL new defensemen? I say we keep both.

Loyalty is not really as involved as we may think. JR proved that loyalty sometimes has no bearing when the second biggest part of this team was traded to get what needed most. It is a buisness. Now what we need most is to shed Wallin and/or Kaberle.

And the plot thickens.

It would make it easier on the Canes to release Wallin. But then would you rather shed $2.2M in salary instead of $1.75M. And who fills a bigger role on the team right now, Kaberle or Wallin?

You could make the argument for both of them, but Kaberle and Corvo could be a really nice pairing. Obviously it would be great to have the extra 450k dump, but we'll see.

So if Wallin is leaving now would we be considering to trade Kaberle I guess now in the regular season for a draft pick? So that way we can get even more cap space and don't have to worry about signing another player or pay for the rest of his contract that comes in that trade? I think that would be the best thing for us.

Hm, well...if that's becoming real, we'd be fine, and should keep Kabs here with us. Couldn't be bad to have at least one D-man with some experience, and maybe he can step up again.

I'm wonderin' if Wallin already said something in reply. I can't imagine someone to be talkin about gettin' him out of his contract, if there wouldn't be at least any...well, however 'anything' spoken/discussed in particular.

Well the N&O has it (Full Story link) and Luke thinks this is the case:

Given that Wallin has two years left on his contract at a relatively affordable $1.875 million, and under NHL rules the Canes would have to buy out that contract to give him his release, Lulea would either have to pay $2.4 million to cover the buyout or arrange some sort of loan deal. In short, this all seems pretty unlikely. But stranger things have happened.

I think the last two sentences sum up my opinion of the whole thing.

I am one of those people who want Wallin to stay. We need more stay at home D-guys and for $1.75, I will take him. He can hit in the corners and keep the cycle down. With Corvo and Pitkanen, Kabs is the likely guy to go. I think they both prove value but Nic's value is higher. JMHO

I don't think Wallin going back to Sweden would have any impact on a possible trade of Kaberle. J.R. has 6 defensemen signed on one way contracts without either and he is over the self imposed cap. If Wallin left and Kabs was traded, I would imagine that we could see one of the youngsters come up from Albany come up to wear a suit and sit in the press box.

Tell you what, I'll sit in the press box in a suit for league minimum and J.R. could save the millions on Kabs and Wallin. Suit me up in hockey gear, and I am a 44 year old, 6'3", 215 lb beer drinking machine. I can add size, age, slowness, and lack of ability to the team. If somebody gets knocked down, I'll fall on them. Just an idea if J.R. is looking for press box depth.

I am one of those people who want Wallin to stay. We need more stay at home D-guys and for $1.75, I will take him. He can hit in the corners and keep the cycle down. With Corvo and Pitkanen, Kabs is the likely guy to go. I think they both prove value but Nic's value is higher. JMHO

You're right, but both, Wallin and Kabs, aren't likely easy to 'get rid of'...Wallin isn't goin to go because of his NTC, Kabs is...hmm...seems like he's not drawing too much interest of any other Team. So, that 'Wallin to sweden'-thing seems like kind of a big chance to get JR's salary cap a little closer.