The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Terva

Wallin going home to Sweden?

Tell you what, I'll sit in the press box in a suit for league minimum and J.R. could save the millions on Kabs and Wallin. Suit me up in hockey gear, and I am a 44 year old, 6'3", 215 lb beer drinking machine. I can add size, age, slowness, and lack of ability to the team. If somebody gets knocked down, I'll fall on them. Just an idea if J.R. is looking for press box depth.

But can you eat donuts like Pavel Brendle?

This is just another one of the "wait and see" type situations that I hope works out well for the Canes and Wallin.

I hope so too. Cant fault the guy for exercising his no trade when it was given to him in his contract. He was lured into staying here when he was ready to head to back to Sweden in the first place and then was stuck playing with Kaberle most of last season.

If he stays, I think we'll see much improved play and if he goes, I wish him all the best.

Speaking of Eklund, Ive now seen this rumor suddenly appear on two other Canes boards, lol. If Eklund has it as a (e5) by tomorrow morning, we can all say that our newest member Terva started his own rumor in the US. :lol:

This board must be a popular read tonight. ;)

From Luke: A reader passed along this tidbit from a Swedish newspaper that would indicate Lulea of the SEL is trying to do just that, translated here via google:

Which one of us passed this on to Luke, he's given credit for the story to one of you....nice work. Now the question is what will Eklund rate the rumor as and where will he say he heard it from :lol:

I would really like Wallin to stay. He plays his position really well and though some may, and will, disagree, I feel he has become a strong "goto" guy for us. Now, if I was given a NTC and then put on the blocks and asked to waive it, I might want to leave too. So whatever he decides I hope him the best. But nothing is set in stone...YET!

This is just another one of the "wait and see" type situations that I hope works out well for the Canes and Wallin.

Given the financial details involved, I really don't see this whole thing happening. Waiving Wallin does not erase a cap hit, it merely reduces it. Also, I don't know if Lulea would or could pay $2.4 million for him. I did a little research on Swedish hockey a while ago and if remember correctly, Lulea is a sort of Edmonton Oilers of the Elitserien, a small market team from the far North of Sweden, with passionate fanbase, but the club is probably not as rich as its rivals from bigger cities.

Then again, even if Wallin leaves, I don't think we can just say that Kaberle will replace him. If Wallin leaves, we'll need a defensive, stay-at-home

Best solution I see for the canes to get rid of his Cap space with no trouble is for him to retire from the NHL I guess, then the salary gets wiped out, and he can go home and play in Sweden. Outside of that i don't know how it could work without us still losing some cap space to be honest.

Maybe I'm reading this wrong but if the Canes trade, sell or give Wallin's rights to Lule

Well the N&O has it (Full Story http://blogs.newsobserver.com/canes/swedish-team-after-wallin' target="_blank">link[/post]) and Luke thinks this is the case:

I think the last two sentences sum up my opinion of the whole thing.

But if Canes and Wallin come to a mutual agreement of terminating the contract? Why would Canes deamnd that he is bought out of his contract if they want to let him go? I mean Niclas could at the same time demand that the Canes buy him out of his contract. He has the no trade at hand.

Given the financial details involved, I really don't see this whole thing happening. Waiving Wallin does not erase a cap hit, it merely reduces it. Also, I don't know if Lulea would or could pay $2.4 million for him. I did a little research on Swedish hockey a while ago and if remember correctly, Lulea is a sort of Edmonton Oilers of the Elitserien, a small market team from the far North of Sweden, with passionate fanbase, but the club is probably not as rich as its rivals from bigger cities.

Then again, even if Wallin leaves, I don't think we can just say that Kaberle will replace him. If Wallin leaves, we'll need a defensive, stay-at-home

Best solution I see for the canes to get rid of his Cap space with no trouble is for him to retire from the NHL I guess, then the salary gets wiped out, and he can go home and play in Sweden. Outside of that i don't know how it could work without us still losing some cap space to be honest.

Won't work, if he is under contract and retires we still take a cap hit. Only two ways to remove it (unless i missed something in the CBA), he gets traded to another NHL team or plays out his contract. All other options have a cap hit (except long term injured reserve).

But can you eat donuts like Pavel Brendle?

Yes I can. Donuts, hot dogs, BBQ sandwiches, whatever. I'm a team player and will eat whatever is necessary to bulk up and make the team a little bigger. That was one of the goals going into this season, wasn't it.

If they will not take me as a depth D-man (press box guy), the other job I am interested in is Penalty Box official. I can tell time and I am very experienced at reaching in a cooler and pulling out a cold one ( I figure a cold hockey puck would require the same talent level to remove from a cooler as a cold beer). I don't know what those guys make, but I'll do it for free. What a bargain since J.R. is trying to cut costs. Think about it, a great seat and I could get those guys cornered for autographs. Can I drink beer in there and beat on the glass?

Won't work, if he is under contract and retires we still take a cap hit. Only two ways to remove it (unless i missed something in the CBA), he gets traded to another NHL team or plays out his contract. All other options have a cap hit (except long term injured reserve).

But the Canes problem isn't the real salary cap, its the self-imposed cap. From JR's prospective all that matters is his budget, who cares if a retired player eats up cap space that you're not going to use anyway.

I like the idea of Wallin staying and Kaberle moving on in theory. After all, Kaberle looked SO bad during most of last year, and plays defense mostly with his stick. Further, we could use more of a stay at home guy with Pitkanen and Corvo already there.

But then I go to the Hurricane's stats for lasts year, and Wallin's -18 jumps off the page with the Seasame Street song playing "which one of these is not like the others?..." Heck, somehow even Kaberle was only -4. I know +/- can be a misleading stat, but Wallin's is so out of range. Was he out there against the top lines that much more than anyone else?

So, just watching every game last year it seemed that Kaberle was standing near, but not quite at, the net for a lot of goals, yet the stats suggest that Wallin was out there for a lot more of them.

But the Canes problem isn't the real salary cap, its the self-imposed cap. From JR's prospective all that matters is his budget, who cares if a retired player eats up cap space that you're not going to use anyway.

JR does, I have watched these guys pinch pennies for years. I was shocked that they bought out Hamilton and Tanabe but those were low impact dollars. I just don't see them eating any portion of Wallin's salary. They will have to find a way to unload it. One possibility is a trade to Atlanta for draft picks, they are struggling to make the minimum cap.

JR does, I have watched these guys pinch pennies for years. I was shocked that they bought out Hamilton and Tanabe but those were low impact dollars. I just don't see them eating any portion of Wallin's salary. They will have to find a way to unload it. One possibility is a trade to Atlanta for draft picks, they are struggling to make the minimum cap.

Right but that is the real money portion of it. If, and that is a big and unlikely if, the Swedish team agrees to pay to buy Wallin out or pay whatever costs are associated, the only costs the canes would face would be relative to the cap not the budget. The team ain't going to buy him out and let him walk for free but its possible they could try to agree some sort of deal where they get paid by the Swedish team to make him available. Its not going to happen in reality but its a possibility on paper.

Not sure if you guys are addressing speculation or excited about this?

I don't see any good in letting go one of our what 3 remaining Defensive D-men?

Need to be adressing exit routes for Kaberle, not this guy. Wallin brings size and a good amount of fight along the boards, he's awesome at pinning behind the goal and not letting the puck wind up in bad situations while pinning.

Which one of us passed this on to Luke, he's given credit for the story to one of you....nice work. Now the question is what will Eklund rate the rumor as and where will he say he heard it from :lol:

That's gotta be a first, a member coming on here, breaking this story, a day later its on Luke's blog, great stuff.

Luke said in his blog that Wallin denied the rumor in an email.

Is a team from the Swedish Elite League negotiating to buy Niclas Wallin's contract from the Hurricanes?

UPDATE, 5:27 p.m.: In an email on Thursday, Wallin said there was no truth to the rumor.

You're right, but both, Wallin and Kabs, aren't likely easy to 'get rid of'...Wallin isn't goin to go because of his NTC, Kabs is...hmm...seems like he's not drawing too much interest of any other Team. So, that 'Wallin to sweden'-thing seems like kind of a big chance to get JR's salary cap a little closer.

See what happens when LA finalizes their minorty ownership deal. They have $13M more to get to the floor.

If they will not take me as a depth D-man (press box guy), the other job I am interested in is Penalty Box official. I can tell time and I am very experienced at reaching in a cooler and pulling out a cold one ( I figure a cold hockey puck would require the same talent level to remove from a cooler as a cold beer). I don't know what those guys make, but I'll do it for free. What a bargain since J.R. is trying to cut costs. Think about it, a great seat and I could get those guys cornered for autographs. Can I drink beer in there and beat on the glass?

Dude, be careful what you agree to. You'd also have to act in all those skits where they mock the opposing players and throw it up on the jumbotron, eventually one of those enforcers is going to throw 'em down and pummel the penalty box official.

You're sipping a cold one with a front row seat one minute, the next you are doing your best impression of "Jesse the Jaw" Boulerice, layed out on the floor and wondering if you'll get in another game this season.

Update from Luke's Blog:

UPDATE, 5:27 p.m.: In an email on Thursday, Wallin said there was no truth to the rumor.

Oh well, at least it gave us some short lived excitement. And also we now know our board has many lurkers, lol.

Update from Luke's Blog:

Oh well, at least it gave us some short lived excitement. And also we now know our board has many lurkers, lol.

I always wondered if luke spies on our board, I bet he does :P I wonder if it was my link that got passed on to him since I had the direct translation from google... I never e-mailed it to him though so someone else must have passed it on lol :o

Its been a quite week in hockey news (especially on the hurricanes side) so gotta have something to get us going... anyone have any other obscure news paper filled with rumors in a different language we can pass on? ;)

Update from Luke's Blog:

This is a looooooong off season ain't it. :lol:

Not sure if you guys are addressing speculation or excited about this?

I don't see any good in letting go one of our what 3 remaining Defensive D-men?

Need to be adressing exit routes for Kaberle, not this guy. Wallin brings size and a good amount of fight along the boards, he's awesome at pinning behind the goal and not letting the puck wind up in bad situations while pinning.

OK Guys,

Just to give you some insight on Kaberle last year, I know the family personally.

Frank had knee surgery last summer and came back to the states with stitches and bandages.

The early part of the season he had to get his BMI way down due to not being able to work out because of the surgery. There is only so much energy you can get eating salad. Also, his wife had a baby in October the morning after their long away games stretch and he has a 3year old too. Also, IMO excessive short shifting is no good for any player and the flu was havoc on everyone.

Frank is a great guy, hard hitting has never been his style of hockey, so don't expect that to change now.

Dude, be careful what you agree to. You'd also have to act in all those skits where they mock the opposing players and throw it up on the jumbotron, eventually one of those enforcers is going to throw 'em down and pummel the penalty box official.

You're sipping a cold one with a front row seat one minute, the next you are doing your best impression of "Jesse the Jaw" Boulerice, layed out on the floor and wondering if you'll get in another game this season.

At least I'd make the "Top Ten" on Sportscenter and you guys would have something to talk about.

At least I'd make the "Top Ten" on Sportscenter and you guys would have something to talk about.

Unless your name is is your name Ovechkin or Crosby?

Your not making the top 10 even if you do drop kick someone on the ice unless you got that name.

Sidney the Drinker?

Alex the Wodka?