The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Terva

Wallin going home to Sweden?

Lots of folks are excited about Borer but he's coming off of a season ending knee injury from last season. Not to mention the fact that if he was NHL ready last year, with how bad our defense was performing, he would have stayed in Raleigh instead of Albany. Im not saying he didnt look good when he was here and that he wont be great someday, I just thinking the kid needs some time in Albany to make sure his knee is 100% and that he's developed enough to make the jump to the NHL.

I'm kinda disappointed this rumor isn't true. Wallin's departure would've opened up a roster spot for Borer.

Even if Wallin were to go, it wouldn't open a spot up for Borer. We'd still have 7 defenseman on one way deals: Gleason, Pitkanen, Corvo, Kaberle, Melichar, Babchuk, and Seidenberg. Its of no use to keep Borer in the pressbox and along with everything else TSA said.

Even if Wallin were to go, it wouldn't open a spot up for Borer. We'd still have 7 defenseman on one way deals: Gleason, Pitkanen, Corvo, Kaberle, Melichar, Babchuk, and Seidenberg. Its of no use to keep Borer in the pressbox and along with everything else TSA said.

I totally keep on forgetting that Babchuk is back.

There still may be some substance to this rumor, perhaps Wallin just hasn't made his decision yet and that is why he felt the need to deny it. I just think back to last offseason when Cullen was interviewed and said that there hadn't been any discussion about a return to Carolina and he was perfectly happy in New York, a couple of weeks later he was traded back to Carolina and seemed pretty happy about it.

Not to keep bringing this up, but Wallin was -18 last year, way out of line with the rest of the team, let alone defensemen. He is -55 for his career. I know that +/- can be a misleading stat, but over a career, it has to mean something. Does anyone have any explaination? Was he always up against the top scorers? More than any other defenseman? Just doesn't seem that those numbers would be hard to improve on, even if we just let him go to Sweden.

Not to keep bringing this up, but Wallin was -18 last year, way out of line with the rest of the team, let alone defensemen. He is -55 for his career. I know that +/- can be a misleading stat, but over a career, it has to mean something. Does anyone have any explaination? Was he always up against the top scorers? More than any other defenseman? Just doesn't seem that those numbers would be hard to improve on, even if we just let him go to Sweden.

Yeah, he was playing top 3 d-man role when he's a bottom 3 dman. Wallin is a good enough defensman in that 4-6 role, but the Canes just didn't, and still don't have a shutdown dman to pair with Gleason. So Nic draws the short straw, and gets smoked all season long. The same thing would have happened and maybe worse if you stick any of the other guys in that same spot.

Yeah, he was playing top 3 d-man role when he's a bottom 3 dman. Wallin is a good enough defensman in that 4-6 role, but the Canes just didn't, and still don't have a shutdown dman to pair with Gleason. So Nic draws the short straw, and gets smoked all season long. The same thing would have happened and maybe worse if you stick any of the other guys in that same spot.

I think that people will be surprised by Pitkanen's defensive ability, that is an underrated part of his game imo.

I think that people will be surprised by Pitkanen's defensive ability, that is an underrated part of his game imo.

Yes, I agree he is underrated at defense. He played on the Oilers top PK unit most of the season...partly because of their own injury woes though.

I'm very confident that Pitkanen, Corvo, and Gleason will be solid to incredible. I just wish we had one more proven top 4 defenseman. It will be interesting to see how the bottom 3 fill out. Just can't get too excited about Wallin and Kaberle. Still think one of them should go.