The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
bigbander

Carolina Hurricanes respond to recent survey that shows people in North Carolina don't know they exist

Well, I live 2,650 miles to the west of Canesville Central (Placentia, specifically -- 10 miles northeast of Disneyland), and have proudly flown my Canes' car flag. How's that for team awareness outside the market area? ;)

Genuine Ducks' fans also feel the same puzzlement and exasperation when the topic is local support of their team. Remember that Orange County, California, is another non-traditional hockey market -- yet barely more than 20,000 fans attended Anaheim's Stanley Cup rally last June, a sad total once you realize that Orange County has more than 3 million residents. A parade? Fuhgeddaboutit. -_-

The largest, flashiest shows of team support I'd noticed that year were 1) the phrase "GO DUCKS" painted in white on the back window of a Chevrolet Suburban and 2) a white "Perry 10" Ducks' jersey worn by a little kid at a local supermarket. During the Stanley Cup run, I didn't see any Ducks' car flags attached to any vehicle not inside the Honda Center parking lot, a sorry indictment of the local support of the team. Other than the 100 or so hard-core fans of the club, most of whom have been there from the organization's first year in 1993-94, this fan base in The O.C. is decidedly lukewarm -- a pity, given the passion of the folks in the front office and on the ice. :mellow:

Jan/GSBG

isn't the 919 area code the majority of the state?

Used to be, about 15-20 years ago. Now 919 is primarily the triangle area. The population explosion in the state has spawned several area codes.

True, nativeNCcaniac, as for the 919 area code is mostly in the western part of the state, as 252 is the majority for the eastern part of the state.

Nice post Jan.

I live.... well... an absolutely absurd distance from NC (Saskatchewan, Canada) and I have run into countless other Hurricanes fans up here. The only woman I have ever met from NC, who moved up here a few years ago actually is a huge Canes fan. My point is that if there are 500+ Hurricanes fans in a population of approx. 1 million, a few thousand miles from North Carolina, one can only assume that the support must be there.

I find it amazing, people in this province can name the Hurricanes when they list off NHL teams, but they forget teams like St. Louis, Nashville, Phoenix, L.A., Atlanta, Florida and Columbus.

True, nativeNCcaniac, as for the 919 area code is mostly in the western part of the state, as 252 is the majority for the eastern part of the state.

Nice post Jan.

Actually, the state is broken up into quite a few area codes. 919 and 252 hardly make up any of the state.

919 roughly 10-15 years ago used to be most of the eastern part of the state, but is now just the immediate Raleigh/Triangle area.

252 is the NE area of the state, including Rocky Mount, Greenville, Wilson, and the Outer Banks.

910 is the Wilmington and SE area of the state.

Charlotte is 704 and 980.

336 is the Triad area.

828 is the western mountains and Asheville area.

The 919 area already even has a new area code set aside to share like the Charlotte area does.

You can see a map of them on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_North_Carolina_area_codes' target="_blank">wikipedia[/post].

Just b/c he was from Carolina doesn't mean he lived in the Triad area. This state isn't Raleigh/Greensboro/Charlotte. We have the mountains are one (5-6 hours away) and the beach on the other (3-4 hours). Hockey isn't advertised in the mountains or down by the beaches. Charlotte, doesn't want anything Canes related in their city b/c of the Panthers/Bobcats. Shoot Charlotte got pi$$ed at the Canes for bringing home the states first championship. So you won't get any Canes marketing in Charlotte. So yes, its the Triad area that knows the Canes, go outside of the area and you will be hard pressed to find people who know what hockey is.

Add to the fact that 31% polled were over 65 is all you need to know. What 65 year old knows what is going on outside of their house. They probably don't even have cable or are in bed by 8pm when the games are on.

I'll bet that the thousands of people who know the canes in the 919 area code, don't have a home phone as cell phones are now more used, were at work, or have caller id and smart enough not to answeri to an "unknown name".

I'm just being picky but "So yes, its the Triad area that knows the Canes," is a little off. The Triad area is Greensboro, Winston and High Point. The Triangle area is Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill.

As far as ticket popularity is concerned, a couple of years ago, I saw a contest advertized in the Boos and Disturber where first prize was 2 season tickets to the Carolina Tarholes home football games. 2nd prize was 4 season tickets. :lol:

Just b/c he was from Carolina doesn't mean he lived in the Triad area. This state isn't Raleigh/Greensboro/Charlotte. We have the mountains are one (5-6 hours away) and the beach on the other (3-4 hours). Hockey isn't advertised in the mountains or down by the beaches. Charlotte, doesn't want anything Canes related in their city b/c of the Panthers/Bobcats. Shoot Charlotte got pi$$ed at the Canes for bringing home the states first championship. So you won't get any Canes marketing in Charlotte. So yes, its the Triad area that knows the Canes, go outside of the area and you will be hard pressed to find people who know what hockey is.

Add to the fact that 31% polled were over 65 is all you need to know. What 65 year old knows what is going on outside of their house. They probably don't even have cable or are in bed by 8pm when the games are on.

I'll bet that the thousands of people who know the canes in the 919 area code, don't have a home phone as cell phones are now more used, were at work, or have caller id and smart enough not to answeri to an "unknown name".

Hey man settle down,I dont care who you are if your from CAROLINA you should know you have a hockey team in CAROLINA..

Hey man settle down,I dont care who you are if your from CAROLINA you should know you have a hockey team in CAROLINA..

So your saying that a person living 6 hours away and gets NO coverage on hockey is supposed to know there is a team here. The news doesn't report on anything Canes related, the media doesn't report on anything Canes releated, but yet you are supposed to know there's a team. What are these people psychic. :blink:

I think they should know personally. If they pay attention to the outside world at all, they would have heard SOMETHING.

doesn't work that way, a lot of small town folks read small town papers that aren't big on hockey or else it is buried where no one reads it. before the first stanley cup run in '02 it was hard pressed to find more than a paragraph buried in the sports section of the news and disturber. given that, you can see why there is no coverage in a place like Old Fort or Marion.

Unless something has changed since I lived there, back in my original hometown of Roanoke Rapids only about 90 minutes away from Raleigh you would be hardpressed to find anything about the Hurricanes in the local paper or any other local media. They probably ran something about the Stanley Cup win in 06 but I bet it wasn't much more than a small article. I can only imagine the further away you get from the area the more hardpressed you would be to find media carrying anything about the Hurricanes and thus less and less people who are even casual fans amongst the ones who don't know the team even exists. I got into hockey on my own back around 93 or 94 well before the Canes were even a concept, but I realize I'm in the vast minority of people in North Carolina, especially in rural NC outside of the triangle.

Who cares if no one in Ashville or Manteo don't know about the Canes. From a pure marketing perspective, the only people who should know about the Canes are those who have a realistic shot of coming to the RBC for games on a frequent basis. I do understand the other revenue potential of periphery sales (e.g. hats, sweaters, shirts). But the real marketing effort should take place to bring fans to the games and no one outside of a 65 - 75 mile radius is going to do that save once, maybe twice a year. So, spend the marketing dollars where they can have the greatest effect and the rest of the state can peacefully continue to not know about the Canes.

Really ? I guess everyone who doesn't live in the 65-75 mile radius shouldn't even watch hockey then because they can't make it to the RBC Center on a regular basis. I wonder how many people are outside of this radius and go to the games when they can and buy merchandise. But I guess you as a marketing guru don't care about the extra dollar these people spend on the Canes. Last time I checked the name of this Team was "Carolina Hurricanes" and not the Raleigh Hurricanes.

I live.... well... an absolutely absurd distance from NC (Saskatchewan, Canada) and I have run into countless other Hurricanes fans up here. The only woman I have ever met from NC, who moved up here a few years ago actually is a huge Canes fan. My point is that if there are 500+ Hurricanes fans in a population of approx. 1 million, a few thousand miles from North Carolina, one can only assume that the support must be there.

I find it amazing, people in this province can name the Hurricanes when they list off NHL teams, but they forget teams like St. Louis, Nashville, Phoenix, L.A., Atlanta, Florida and Columbus.

One explanation is that none of these teams ever won the Cup!

I think they should know personally. If they pay attention to the outside world at all, they would have heard SOMETHING.

Your right, they should have an idea, but its not quite the way it goes here. Two examples for ya:

My parents live in Oak Island, NC. Its about a 2.5-3 hour drive from Raleigh. You are very hard pressed to find anything Canes there. You have to literally go through the sports section with a magnifying glass just to see anything Canes. In one little part they'll show the score, but if you are just scanning through the paper, you'll miss it completly. NBA gets more coverage in that paper. Now they have satelite, so they will put on WRAL to get Canes news, but not everyone there has satellite, and if they do, they don't care about the Raleigh news.

I've got a friend out in Hendersonville, NC. Its about a 4 hour drive from Raleigh, give or take. Absolutely no mention of Canes anywhere. News channels, papers, nothing. Those people have no clue there is hockey. Only reason he knows, is b/c he's friends with us.

NC is not like the bigger hockey markets where the media carries the news all throughout the state. You are very hardpressed to find the media talking about the Canes 3 or more hours away from Raleigh. People in these areas reference the media (newspapers/news) to get their outside information, so if the media is not reporting on anything Canes related, you can't expect them to even have a small clue that there is a hockey team in NC.

So your saying that a person living 6 hours away and gets NO coverage on hockey is supposed to know there is a team here. The news doesn't report on anything Canes related, the media doesn't report on anything Canes releated, but yet you are supposed to know there's a team. What are these people psychic. :blink:

I guess maybe i think they should cause im from Canada,and we are hockey,but you cant tell me these people live 2000 miles in the bush and dont talk to people or go out,I mean come on now,the only reason they dont know they have a team is cause they probably dont even know what hockey is....

I guess maybe i think they should cause im from Canada,and we are hockey,but you cant tell me these people live 2000 miles in the bush and dont talk to people or go out,I mean come on now,the only reason they dont know they have a team is cause they probably dont even know what hockey is....

hockey is not as big a sport here as NASCAR, College hoops, baseball. You apparently don't know this area and comparing it to Canada is wrong. Some of that is the fault of local media and some of the responsibility falls on Canes Marketing Department. Most of the "local" papers carry "local" events and nothing sports related from Raleigh.

And why are you trying to compare Canada to a small market city?

Its like comparing apples to oranges.

Read my post right above yours. People from 2000 miles away get their outside news from media related sources. If the media is not reporting anything on the Canes, how can you expect them to know who the canes are? Shoot Charlotte doesn't mention the Canes b/c they'll afraid it'll take away from Panthers/Bobcats news. Charlotte is only about 200 miles away, and you are expecting people from 2000 miles away to get information about the Canes. Like I said comparing Canada to a small market city is pointless.

Really ? I guess everyone who doesn't live in the 65-75 mile radius shouldn't even watch hockey then because they can't make it to the RBC Center on a regular basis. I wonder how many people are outside of this radius and go to the games when they can and buy merchandise. But I guess you as a marketing guru don't care about the extra dollar these people spend on the Canes. Last time I checked the name of this Team was "Carolina Hurricanes" and not the Raleigh Hurricanes.

Sorry WNC, don't agree. The thing that drives hockey profits most of all is attendance, period end. As I stated in my original post, I do recognize the importance of merchandise sales to supplement those profits. But Canes hockey is not the recognized brand that NY Yankees, Boston Red Sox, Carolina Tarheels and Duke Blue Devils are. I bet there are maybe 4-5 stores in all of Ashville at which you can purchase a Canes sweater, cap or hockey stick? So, the Canes are not ,in the forseeable furture, get rich on their merchandise sales. They need to put butts in the seats on a consistent basis and the vast majority of those butts are going to come from 65-75 miles from the RBC. That therefore defines the target audience where the vast majority of marketing dollars should be spent.

Sorry WNC, don't agree. The thing that drives hockey profits most of all is attendance, period end. As I stated in my original post, I do recognize the importance of merchandise sales to supplement those profits. But Canes hockey is not the recognized brand that NY Yankees, Boston Red Sox, Carolina Tarheels and Duke Blue Devils are. I bet there are maybe 4-5 stores in all of Ashville at which you can purchase a Canes sweater, cap or hockey stick? So, the Canes are not ,in the forseeable furture, get rich on their merchandise sales. They need to put butts in the seats on a consistent basis and the vast majority of those butts are going to come from 65-75 miles from the RBC. That therefore defines the target audience where the vast majority of marketing dollars should be spent.

well put, great post.

you also have to wonder how much bootleg merchandise is out there. if a person is getting a knockoff jersey cheap then it is probably not licensed in which case the canes get zero. after we won the cup, bootleg stands were popping up everywhere!! The Canes got none of that revenue.

There's a big difference between concentrating marketing on the immediate area and completely ignoring areas outside it, though.

While I don't expect to see as much Canes merchandise in a typical store as Panthers or Bobcats here in Greenville, it's really pathetic when you hardly ever see any Canes stuff for sale outside of Raleigh. And please don't tell me it's because nobody will buy it. The few times things do show up in stores around here they don't last long at all.

Nobody is asking that they treat everyone outside of Raleigh the exact same way they do in. Just that the Canes actually do something for those of us who live outside of Raleigh. We can add to tv viewership, thus driving up tv revenues. Plus a whole lot more merchandise sales if only they'll put stuff out there for us to buy without having to make a trip to Raleigh. For a team that has struggled to even make a profit, don't you think they ought to be doing everything they can to increase those profits? They can't do that by limiting themselves to a concentrated area around one of the smallest markets in the entire league.

that has always been my biggest criticism of the organization, not marketing to the entire state or as i call it "if you build it they will come" mentality.

Thanks for the props, Wesley. I make it a point never to waste a post.

caniac 97: Sounds as if the Canes' front office has the same marketing philosophy as Anaheim's: focus on one select area, and target it to the exclusion of any other. In the case of the Ducks, SoCal's Inland Empire (a.k.a. Riverside and San Bernardino counties) was hit considerably harder with advertising and promotions than The O.C. when the organization was born 15 years ago -- that's why the majority of original Ducks' fans are from The I.E.

Soaring gas prices -- most inland fans make the 90-mile round trip to Honda Center to see their Ducks -- as well as the skyrocketing cost of going to Ducks' games over the last five years have cut about 90 percent of those fans out of the picture. They've since been replaced by newer, vastly more affluent fans who live in the area's spendy beach communities -- Newport Beach, Corona del Mar, San Clemente, and the like.

I think you're nearer to Canesville than I am, el. ;)

Which L.A.? The Los Angeles Kings, or the Anaheim Ducks, winners of last year's Cup? It's a fact; there have been two NHL franchises in SoCal since 1993.

Jan/GSBG